Doctor Who thread

Discuss Spider-Man's Tangled Web of Animated Series, Live Action shows or the Movies!

Moderators: PartyHardy, BD, Spideydude

NickMB
Avenger
Avenger

Doctor Who thread

Post by NickMB » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:51 pm

I couldn't find an existing Doctor Who thread with a use of the search function, sorry if I've missed it. But yeah, the final episode of The End Of Time has ended, removing the most popular Doctor in years from the position, and I thought "Wow, this seems the best possible time to start a thread about it!"

Spoilers in spoiler tags for now, as I don't think the final Tennant episode airs in the US for another few hours...
I enjoyed the episode a lot, myself. The final tour of companions was a little self-indulgent, but I think Tennant's probably earned it. Certainly the Rose sequence was a great cap to the whole Davies run.

And some people have said bad things about the sequence introducing Matt Smith, but I thought he seemed decent. There's plenty of scope for his character to go once the post-regeneration hysteria has died down. Liked his "Still not ginger!"
And here's the first trailer for the Matt Smith series. Not exactly spoilery (unless you count the fact he has regenerated as a spoiler)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lldtm-HA0yw
Read Hobson & Choi - my comedy-mystery webserial - right now.
More available on my blog and Twitter. Form an orderly queue.

WadeWilson
Webslinger
Webslinger

Re: Doctor Who thread - Exit Tennant, enter Smith

Post by WadeWilson » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:09 pm

I'm gonna miss David Tennant as the Doctor. Now only if he could be cast as The Riddler in Batman 3, that would cheer me up. :D
Delta House Member - Jungleboy

Tabularasa
Avenger
Avenger

Post by Tabularasa » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:00 pm

My friend said the same thing after we saw The Dark Knight. I think we're gonna have to wait awhile for that sequel though...
Zeta Member MAUL

NickMB
Avenger
Avenger

Post by NickMB » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:07 pm

Tabularasa wrote:My friend said the same thing after we saw The Dark Knight. I think we're gonna have to wait awhile for that sequel though...
I think he'd actually be quite annoying as the traditional manic, cackling Riddler, but if Nolan gritted the character up as he has other villains, could be pretty fun...

Tabularasa
Avenger
Avenger

Post by Tabularasa » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:48 pm

Exactly, if Nolan were to come back for a 3rd round and if he were to do the Riddler, I think he would update the character like he did with The Joker.
Zeta Member MAUL

WadeWilson
Webslinger
Webslinger

Post by WadeWilson » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:19 pm

I want to see a more sadistic Riddler, just like how the Joker was. If the Riddler is in fact going to be in Batman 3, I would want him to have a sort of twisted sense of humor.

This is going completely off topic from Dr. Who though. [smilie=spidey_lol.gif]
Delta House Member - Jungleboy

Durkinator27
Webslinger
Webslinger

Post by Durkinator27 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:16 am

Not to break the Batman convo (which I agree with by the way) I LOVED the final episode. I wasn't so sure about Part 1, but the finale made it all worth it. Sure, from an English-majory film-critic point of view, maybe it wasn't so good or it was self-indulgent or whatever...but come on. The last 45 minutes or so had to be one of the most emotional experiences I've ever had with TV. David Tennant was just so...flawless. Bernard Cribbins, John Simm, Timothy Dalton were great and all but...Tennant blew it out of the park. Seriously.

I do wish Donna had been able to remember, but I do suppose that would be way too much bearing on what was supposed to be the Doctor's story. But at least she's finally happy now. It was nice seeing all the companions, but the real surprise had to be the daughter of the Doc's lover from the "Human Nature/Family of Blood" episodes (I forget her name.) It was unnecessary, but a brilliant touch, and I am extremely glad they did it.

I'm sure this will get heavily criticized, but I think Davies doesn't hide the fact that he wrote it for the fans, he wrote it for himself, and he especially wrote it for Tennant. And it accomplished his goal. It was a brilliant send-off that had plenty of nice call-backs, had a BUNCH for Tennant to do to show how talented he is, and indulged in everything Davies has done for the franchise. Whether you like Davies's writing or not (I'll admit I have some gripes myself sometimes) you can't deny that he really, really cares about his characters and reinvigorated Doctor Who like no one else could have.

NickMB
Avenger
Avenger

Post by NickMB » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:00 am

No, back on topic is good!

But yeah, I also liked the final part, which was a relief after part 1 was a bit... weird. Which is unusual for Davies actually, usually he lands the buildup brilliantly, then the resolution feels a little unsatisfying. But no, on this occasion I was liking it.

I too was kinda waiting for Donna to remember, or at least do something more important, but I respect that he actually kept the main story fairly tight and contained rather than throwing in everyone. A lot of fun, anyway. And for the most part, feedback from the internet has actually been reasonably positive for once. I was worried after the drubbing that part 1 got, but people seem to agree that RTD has earned a farewell. Hoorah.

I'd also only just rewatched series 3, so was overjoyed to see the callback to Human Nature.

danman007
Webslinger
Webslinger

Post by danman007 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:33 am

I enjoyed the final episode immensely. Tennant, Cribbins were excellent as were Simm and Dalton(One of my favorite Bonds). When I heard the four knocks..my heart just sank. A good send off for David!
While I know that RTD's run was not perfect it was a fun ride and help reinvigorated Doctor Who. Bring on Moffat and Smith!

Here is the Regeneration:
Last edited by danman007 on Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Durkinator27
Webslinger
Webslinger

Post by Durkinator27 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:46 am

I wonder what Chris Eccelston thinks of all this. "What am I, chopped liver?"

Or really, any previous Doctor for that matter. Tennant probably got the longest, most monumental regeneration ever. Don't get me wrong, he deserves it, and I figure it was supposed to be symbolic for the end of Russell T. Davies's era, not just a Doctor. But I just wonder how previous actors view how much hype Tennant has gotten.

NickMB
Avenger
Avenger

Post by NickMB » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:37 pm

Durkinator27 wrote:I wonder what Chris Eccelston thinks of all this. "What am I, chopped liver?"

Or really, any previous Doctor for that matter. Tennant probably got the longest, most monumental regeneration ever. Don't get me wrong, he deserves it, and I figure it was supposed to be symbolic for the end of Russell T. Davies's era, not just a Doctor. But I just wonder how previous actors view how much hype Tennant has gotten.
I think if Ecclestone had stayed on for a few years, he'd have gotten more of a fanfare with his departure. As you say, the fact it was the end of the whole Davies era probably helped. But to an extent, it does simply relate to Tennant's ridiculous popularity. I was obviously not really into popular culture when Tom Baker regenerated (nor did I exist yet), but I gather he was pretty popular. Maybe he'd have got a similar massive event if he'd regenerated nowadays.

And, on a completely unrelated note, here's a link to the Doctor's Facebook page:
http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/ ... _Gnome.jpg
(Arguably contains spoilers for The End Of Time Part 2.)

Durkinator27
Webslinger
Webslinger

Post by Durkinator27 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:58 pm

NickMB wrote:
Durkinator27 wrote:I wonder what Chris Eccelston thinks of all this. "What am I, chopped liver?"

I think if Ecclestone had stayed on for a few years, he'd have gotten more of a fanfare with his departure. As you say, the fact it was the end of the whole Davies era probably helped. But to an extent, it does simply relate to Tennant's ridiculous popularity. I was obviously not really into popular culture when Tom Baker regenerated (nor did I exist yet), but I gather he was pretty popular. Maybe he'd have got a similar massive event if he'd regenerated nowadays.

And, on a completely unrelated note, here's a link to the Doctor's Facebook page:
http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/ ... _Gnome.jpg
(Arguably contains spoilers for The End Of Time Part 2.)
HA! Love his Facebook. Posted it to my Facebook. [smilie=spidey_lol.gif]

Like I said, Tennant and Davies both deserved they hype they got. I just wonder what the actors (who still pay attention to the franchise) think of just how much fanfare it was. It would be interesting to hear an interview with Eccelston, especially.

Anyway, I'm fairly optimistic for the new era, although I do feel bad that Matt Smith is already getting so much flack without even doing anything yet. I'm looking forward to him, but there is one thing that really bothers me about him--the guy has no eyebrows. Same thing bothered me about Donna in "End of Time"; her eyebrows just seemed to disappear between her last appearance and this one. I know that's a horribly stupid thing to be fixated on, but it just irritates the crap out of me. XD

insaneJonny
Avenger
Avenger

Post by insaneJonny » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:07 am

I'm more happy about RTD leaving to make way for moffat than anything else, I really didn't care for any of RTD's scripting finales and this end of time was no exception.

I also have high hopes for Smith but as always the writing is what really matters to me.
The Only Thing Worse Than Anti-BND Fanboys.....is Pro-BND Fanboys
Follow me on twitter for nerd related rants and drunken ramblings
SUPPORT X-factor
Herc
Fringe
Community
Breaking Bad

Hollister4Mayor
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey

Post by Hollister4Mayor » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:43 pm

I was watching End Of Time 1 and it just didn't feel right, and then 2 came an and both episodes became perfect! And I'm not afraid to say I cried when he regenerated. "I don't want to go," just got me! Did anyone see Tennant on Grahmn Norton?

Extreme Spider
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey

Post by Extreme Spider » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:43 pm

Oh God I hope I don't end up with a bullet Tonight... But what is Doctor Who? *Cowers in Fear in a dark corner*