Spider-Tracer: 10 Reasons to Read Web of Spider-Man Vol. 1

Ahhh, “Web of Spider-Man”… Of all of the solo Spider-Man books, “Web of Spider-Man” is, perhaps, the most overlooked in Spider-Man’s 58 years of publication. Yet, the book lasted 129 issues (1985-1995) before it was cancelled to make way for the then-new “Sensational Spider-Man” title. If that’s the case, then what makes this title so forgotten?

Perhaps it’s because the title never had a consistent writer/artist team. Every time the book seemed to find some consistency with a creative team, one or both of the creators were usually off to other things. The title also seemed to struggle to find its voice from time to time (especially in the beginning), or something to set it apart from “Amazing” and “Spectacular”, and later, the adjectiveless “Spider-Man”; it often seemed to lack direction. The title also had quite a few clunkers in terms of stories, but what long-running title doesn’t have its share of those?

While it may sound like I’ve come to rag on “Web of Spider-Man”, I assure you, I’ve come to praise it. You see, despite the title’s flaws, it contains a great many things not to be missed, and for this month’s Spider-Tracer, I’ll be presenting you with the top ten reasons to read (reread?) “Web of Spider-Man” Volume 1.

1. The First Appearance of Tombstone

In “Web of Spider-Man” #36, Gerry Conway and Alex Saviuk begin seeding subplots for their time working together with the Spider-Man character; one of those subplots involve expanding on Joe Robertson’s character, and that included the introduction of Tombstone. While he never reached the criminal heights that the Kingpin has, Tombstone has been a recurring thorn in the side of Spider-Man and other street level heroes for years. His ties to Joe Robertson make him a unique villain in Spider-Man’s Rogues’ Gallery, and a very interesting one, at that. He’s also the father of Janice Lincoln, the current Beetle. You can read more of the character’s history with Spider-Man and Joe Robertson in the trade paperback entitled “Spider-Man: Tombstone”.

1. Spider-Hulk

One of the more notable looks for Spider-Man over the years, the Spider-Hulk incarnation of our favorite hero was popular enough for ToyBiz to make him an action figure. He even received a Funko POP! figure. He reappeared in the comic crossover “Spider-Verse”, and returned as recently as this year’s “Immortal Hulk: Great Power”.  He first appeared in “Web of Spider-Man” #70 when a device stole energy from the Hulk and bestowed it upon our favorite Wall-Crawler. The Savage Hulk’s personality and IQ are just a bonus (or curse, in Spidey’s case).

1. Obscure Villains Galore!

Sure, everyone knows who the Green Goblin, Doc Ock, and Venom are, but what about some of the really obscure, oddball villains? In “Web of Spider-Man”, we’re treated to a long line of minor irritants, including Chance (“Web” #15), Humbug and Solo (“Web” #19), Demogoblin (“Web” #86), and, of course, FACADE (“Web” #113)! While the A and B-List villains are a lot of fun, sometimes they need a break after getting knocked around by Spider-Man, and that’s where these guys come in.

1. The Smithville Thunderbolt

I can hear everyone going “Who?!”, and that’s to be expected! The Smithville Thunderbolt appears in “Web of Spider-Man” #s 8-9. His story in one of my absolute favorites from the early days of “Web”. Something that I really enjoyed about him in particular was that he hails from a small town in Pennsylvania, not the typical New York City setting; I could relate to him! His story is also quite interesting, as it shows what happens to an aged hero, something we don’t see often in the main Marvel Universe. His ending is nothing short of tragic, however; writer David Michelinie shows us the ugly side of the press, and how it can affect the lives of the people in the headlines. It’s certainly one of the saddest endings you’ll ever see in a Spider-Man comic. You can read this oft forgotten tale in “Essential Web of Spider-Man” Volume 1.

1. Those Covers!

Every writer knows when to let the art do the talking, and this instance is no different. Nuff said!

1. Kaine’s First Appearance

Kaine may be the Scarlet Spider now, but back in the beginning, he was a dark and mysterious killer whose goal seemed to be wiping out Spider-Man’s enemies. We wouldn’t learn that he was an early failed clone of Peter Parker until later on in “The Clone Saga”. Kaine was first introduced to readers in “Web of Spider-Man” #119. In case you’re wondering why I don’t have a picture of Kaine from issue #119, he wasn’t on the cover, and he was mostly shrouded from view inside the comic. You can read this issue in “Spider-Man: The Complete Clone Saga Epic” Volume 1 or in the first “Spider-Man: The Clone Saga” Omnibus.

1. The Scarlet Spider Debuts

One issue earlier, in “Web of Spider-Man” #118, Ben Reilly first dons the costume of the Scarlet Spider. He gets the name later thanks to reporter Ken Ellis in “Spider-Man” #53, but it’s in “Web” that he first puts on everyone’s favorite hoodie and begins a legacy that spans over 25 years of Spider-Man history. The fight with Scarlet Spider and Venom is fantastic, and a must read. You can also read this issue in “Spider-Man: The Complete Clone Saga Epic” Volume 1 or in the first “Spider-Man: The Clone Saga” Omnibus.

1. “Death” of the Black Costume/the Premier Issue

In this first issue, the black costume returns and attempts to permanently bond to Spider-Man! Spider-Man is forced to head to a church bell tower to exorcise himself of the creature, all while he himself nearly died in the process; however, the symbiote saves his life as a seemingly final act. Longtime readers know that this isn’t the end of the symbiote, but some of the imagery presented to readers is directly lifted from here in the film “Spider-Man 3”, as well as that of the 90’s animated series. It’s a powerful issue, indeed. Oh, and some guys named the Vulturions first appeared here, but I can tell you that that no one picked up or read this issue for them (they were so minor and, frankly, annoying, that I didn’t even bother to include them in my aforementioned list of obscure villains). You can check this issue out in “Essential Web of Spider-Man” Volume 1.

1. Venom is Coming…

Venom may make his first full appearance in “The Amazing Spider-Man” #300, but writer and co-creator David Michelinie first begins to give us a hint of the then-upcoming villain in “Web of Spider-Man” issues 18 and 24. In issue 18, Peter Parker is pushed in front of a moving subway, and in the 24th issue, Peter’s ankle is grabbed while climbing out of a building to change into Spider-Man, and he’s yanked off! Both times, his Spider-Sense fails to warn him of the impending danger, and bothered our hero like nothing else! These Venom cameo appearances are further confirmed and expanded upon in “The Amazing Spider-Man” #388, which just so happened to be Michelinie’s last issue as writer of the series. These Venom cameos can be read in “Essential Web of Spider-Man” Volume 1 and 2.

1. Spider-Armor

Spider-Man gets a new costume in the 100th issue of “Web of Spider-Man, an armored one in fact! Since its first appearance, the suit has gone on to appear in various toy lines and video games, not to mention playing a role in the series finale of the 90’s animated series. When I think of the “Web of Spider-Man” title, this is one of the first issues that come to mind. It’s a costume that has long outlived the title in which it first showed up.

While that may seem like the end, I would be remiss if I didn’t mention the great contributions of artist Alex Saviuk.

His pencil work graced the “Web of Spider-Man” series for seven years, which, of course, is most of the book’s run! Impressive! While the book seemed to struggle in finding a writer to stay on long term, Alex’s art gave the book a physical consistency that “Web” had sorely needed in its earliest issues. So thank you Alex, your work on the “Web” series was very much appreciated. Following a lengthy run on the Spider-Man newspaper strip, Alex has recently been contributing some very cool variant covers for the “Symbiote Spider-Man” series; be sure to pick those up! Alex has also done an interview with the Crawlspace’s very own Brad Douglas, which you can check out here: https://www.spidermancrawlspace.com2020/07/alex-saviuk-interview/

What was your favorite thing about “Web of Spider-Man”? Let me know in the comments section below!

Like it? Share it!
Previous Article

Previews: September 9th, 2020

Next Article

Panel(s) of the Day #928

You might be interested in …

17 Comments

1. What a nice Spider-History post; it reminded of how many great stories – or beginnings – the title delivered.

2. @Hornacek

I’m gonna have to go back and do some reading and more research, but from what I could find, it seems that the book first appeared in “ASM” #304. I get the feeling that’s not counting the idea to make the book and such, which just might mean it did originate in “Web”. This might constitute a Spider-Tracer article all to itself.

3. @Bill – I think Peter was travelling around in ASM too but I think the majority of it was done in WoSM. Wasn’t the Webs book first introduced in WoSM? It felt like that plot was mostly in WoSM, although it bled into the other books.

4. @ Dark Mark
    Thank you for the kind words! It was fun to write and look through those old issues.

@Hornacek
    I seem to remember “Amazing” having Spidey do some travelling for the book tour, too. I don’t remember “Spectacular” doing it much off hand, but I’d have to go back and look.

@Fisk
    That was a good PAD issue! Sorta reminded me of the one PAD issue of “Back in Black” where JJJ gives himself a black eye. PAD really did a nice job with the Spidey/JJJ dynamic.

5. Web of Spidey 13 (early PAD issues) when Spidey confronts JJJ is one of my all-time favourite spidey issues.

6. One of the stories that I associate with WoSM more than the other books is the “Webs” book made up of Spidey photos taken by Peter that had him on a book tour across the U.S. I can’t remember if the other books had him in these other States but I remember lots of WoSM issues where he was travelling the country having adventures.

7. I agree with you, Bill. I’ve always had a fondness for Web. Maybe because the title didn’t have to take itself too serious. Maybe because some of the writers saw this as their chance to make it big. Maybe just for the C and D list villains! I didn’t like it when they forced story crossovers through all the Spider-Titles (it was neat once with Kraven, but that got old). I remember when it was coming out, I didn’t think I’d it as an ‘off’ title. Just another chance to read Spidey. Often underappreciated! Great article! I’m mad at myself for not writing it first!

8. @Hornacek

The Clone Saga had some great stuff throughout its run; of course it had some duds, but I feel like the good far outweighed the bad. “The Lost Years”, Scarlet Spider, Kaine, “The Exile Returns” and ASM #400 were all various highlights for me.

9. “Say what you will about Kavanagh, but without him, there might not be a Ben Reilly or Kaine, and I’ll always be thankful to him for that.”

JR: “Terry Kavanagh created the 90s Clone Saga, so there’s a special place in hell for him.”

10. @Andrew C

Saviuk had already been on the title a few years before Kavanaugh took over tho book (about 40 issues worth,give or take). Saviuk started the issue before Tombstone first came out, right around the time Gerry Conway came aboard, which would have been in the late 80s with Conway also writing “Spectacular at the same time.

Say what you will about Kavanagh, but without him, there might not be a Ben Reilly or Kaine, and I’ll always be thankful to him for that.

11. ‘Web of Spider-Man’ was pretty interesting in the late 80s and pretty terrible in the early 90s. Sorry, but it roughly coincides with when your boy Saviuk took over (as he was paired with Terry Kavanaaaugh).

12. @Joshua Nelson
    I felt like “Web” was going in the right direction when they started taking Spidey out of his usual NYC haunts, but then it didn’t seem to last long.

@Hornacek
    That was definitely a fun story and a great design (I’d love to get a figure of it). If I hadn’t put the Smithville Thunderbolt, I might just have put that guy on the list.

13. Good article, but sadly the only points I agree with are the first appearances of Tombstone and Venom. WEB OF SPIDER-MAN, outside of the occasional gem, was just never a worthwhile addition to the Spider-titles in my opinion.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *