Previous Article

Previews: November 8th, 2017

Next Article

Spider-Man Spinoff Film: The Street Vendor

You might be interested in …

16 Comments

1. @Anon – I’m all for a non-A list villain being the big bad – just make it a good villain.

2. Whenever I see comments complaining that it isn’t an A-list villain leading, I gotta shake my head honestly. This is the kind of thinking that lead to The Joker being shoehorned into every Arkham game at the expense of every other villain.

3. @Rook – I’m not negative on Mr. Negative because he’s from the BND era. I’m negative on him because I don’t find him an interesting villain … AND because he’s from the BND era.

4. Guys, They confirmed 4 months ago that Mr Negative is NOT the main villian, its just part of One segment of the game.

5. Game looks amazing.

I also like that they are using a less known Villain as the enemy. Gives them more freedom to write a story and develop a character the way they want to. Rather than use a character whose character has been defined for a long time now. Should give the creators the ability to write a good original story for the game rather than just rehashing old worn out spider-man tropes.

Also I don’t think it’s really fair to be “Negative” on Mr. Negative just because he’s from the BND era, BND happened a long time ago it’s time to get over it this is the new norm, most spider-man fans in the targeted demographic will have grown up with spider-man from the BND era.

6. @Andrew C

Agree to disagree. I don’t find Mister Negative that interesting, and I don’t think he’s worthy of being the big-bad in a game. I agree that Carnage is not that interesting, but he is *very* popular and his name on a game would be a lot better for sales than Mr. N.

7. @ Hornacek – I think he’s probably not going to be the final villain (especially since Osborn is also in this) but he makes sense as one of the primary villains for the kind of story they’re going for.

@ WolfCypher – That’s Mary Jane.

8. @hornacek
    I don’t think he’s more interesting due to quantity. Carnage has been in more stories and I find him dull as dirt. I guess he isn’t so recent lol. I’ve been reading since before he was introduced in the early 90s, so I sometimes have to remind myself how long ago that was. Okay I’ll reframe that as among the post-1980s period (which I think is when we got the last truly great Spidey villains like Hobgoblin, Rose, Venom, Sin-Eater, etc) Mr Negative is near the top. Certainly better than Morlun, Spidercide, Type-Face, Freak, Senator Ward, and all those other abominations. I don’t really see a problem with having such a unique, but versatile and interesting villain, so we’ll just have to agree to disagree here. Like I said, better than facing off against Electro, Doc Ock or a Goblin for the umpteenth time in a Spidey game.

*- this is my 3rd time trying to post this comment and nothing shows up. Hopefully it doesn’t appear 3 times.

9. @hornacek
    I don’t think he’s more interesting due to quantity. Carnage has been in more stories and I find him dull as dirt. I guess he isn’t so recent lol. I’ve been reading since before he was introduced in the early 90s, so I sometimes have to remind myself how long ago that was. Okay I’ll reframe that as among the post-1980s period (which I think is when we got the last truly great Spidey villains like Hobgoblin, Rose, Venom, Sin-Eater, etc) Mr Negative is near the top. Certainly better than Morlun, Spidercide, Type-Face, Freak, Senator Ward, and all those other abominations. I don’t really see a problem with having such a unique, but versatile and interesting villain, so we’ll just have to agree to disagree here. Like I said, better than facing off against Electro, Doc Ock or a Goblin for the umpteenth time in a Spidey game.

10. Okay, is that Mary Jane or Carlie Cooper? Cause one might make me open to maybe care about this game, and the other is a guarantee I wont be following anymore news on this.

11. @Andrew C

As I said, Mr. Negative is probably the best of the BND villains, but that’s not really something to be proud of. He probably has more appearances than any of those villains, and just by quantity alone that makes him more interesting, but not enough to make him interesting enough to be the big-bad in a game. I’m assuming Clash was their second choice.

And I wouldn’t call Carnage a “recent” villain – he’s been around for over 25 years.

12. @hornacek
    I agree with you about the ridiculous design choice of the white spider (shades of Slott’s glowey spider). What was the point of that?

I think you’re …. heh… overly negative about Mr Negative. Yes, BND is overall terrible and birthed from OMD, arguably the worst Spider-Man story bar none. But the character itself is actually quite interesting and much better than other recent villains like Morlun, Carnage and Massacre. I don’t see the problem with having him as the main baddie. More interesting than just rehashing the Green Goblin or Doc Ock for the bazillionth time.

13. @Frontier – I would guess that the main villain in a Spidey game (and it appears that Mr. N is the main villain in this game) should be a recognizable Spidey villain to the masses. And Mr. N does not fit that bill

14. @Hornacek – I don’t think casuals will need to recognize him since the game seems to be doing a pretty decent job of introducing and establishing him.

15. It’s never been more evident than shown here that having the spider on the costume be white makes no sense. Even just from a design standpoint – it looks awful. The suit is red and blue – why is there a giant white symbol on his chest?

Hard-core Spidey fans will know who Martin Li/Mr. Negative is, but will casual fans, or those that just buy the video game, recognize him? I guess he is the … best (?) of the BND new villains, but that’s like being the tallest kid in kindergarten – you may be the biggest, but you’re still a 5-year-old. This is obviously another example of Marvel Entertainment thinking that anything Dan Slott does in the comics should be reflected in all other versions of the character (i.e. Slott being a producer on the new animated series which includes both Clayton Cole/Clash, and a teacher named “Mr. Slott”).

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *