Review: Superior Foes of Spider-Man #15

SF15-1“Oh My God, You Guys… We Won!”

‘Down Time/Something To Worry About’

WRITER Nick Spencer
ART Steve Lieber & Rich Ellis
COLOR Rachelle Rosenberg
LETTERER VC’s Clayton Cowles
EDITOR Lauren Sankovitch

Events turn shocking for Shocker, while the Chameleon and the Owl have a friendly chat. Later, the Sinister Several face their former teammates and taste sweet victory! But how long will the party last?

Sadly, a few weeks back we learned that this wonderful book would be coming to an end. Let’s take a moment to remember the good times and all of the glory that is Fred.

SF15-2SUMMARY: Last month saw the Shocker turning the tables on his former teammates. But his triumph is short-lived. Unfortunately for Mr. Quilts, the team manages to keep Herman talking long enough to stay dumb and get sucker punched by the Beetle. Later, the team literally buries their former teammate, coffin and all. While he’s still alive and in chains, mind you. Getting their hands on the potty-mouthed head of Silvermane leads them to celebrate – especially after Beetle finds the Maggie bylaws & forms necessary for them to seize control due to having the boss’s head. But first, time to party! Because, as Fred says, “Herman would want us to be happy.”

Elsewhere, the Owl and the Chameleon – who last we saw were both played against one another by Fred – compare notes and decide that to get the revenge coming to them, they need to partner up. Probably not good news for the Sinister Several.

While out partying, the gang winds up coming across their former teammates from the Sinister Sixteen, who wound up getting arrested by the cops after they all hit Chameleon’s stronghold. A bar brawl breaks out – and the Sinister Several actually pull off a win! No one is more surprised than leader Fred.

Later though, some members of the Several decided it’s time to cut deals of their own on Silvermane’s head, lining up to betray Fred. Suddenly Mr. Negative, Madame Masque and Tombstone are now interested parties in controlling the Maggia.

ANALYSIS: Lots of funny moments this month, as we’ve come to expect, but there’s also a lot of “moving the story forward” here. Nick Spencer & Steve Lieber are setting the stage nicely for what will no doubt be a calamitous train wreck of supervillainy clashing all over New York, with laughs all around. I know the book’s ending but I am excited about what’s going down before then!

For a long time I was saying that I was waiting for Shocker’s time to shine and show his true colors. And he did. For about 30 seconds. Still, despite being chained and buried alive, I doubt we’ve seen the last of the Shocker in the final issues of this book.

Highlight of the month? Steve Lieber’s excellent effort on the bar brawl between the Several and their disgruntled former teammates.

REVIEW: A+

Some of the best writing & art Marvel’s had for the last couple of years continues leading up to the big finish.

–George Berryman!

Like it? Share it!
Previous Article

Podcast # 328- 11 Spider-Satellites Reviews

Next Article

Review: Spider-Man 2099 #3

You might be interested in …

5 Comments

1. Great issue, I actually had my good old stepfather pick it up for me. Great issue, agree the dog moment with Speed Demon was kind out of nowhere.

2. Great issue as always. I love how Lieber gives Herman the same quilt like pattern for the furniture in his apartment and even in the coffin. These next two issues will no doubt be insane. All the plot threads will come together and the Sinister Several are really gonna have a hard time coming up. I still have a feeling that Herman will be the only victor here. He’s the only “honest” one among the gang and has had the worst luck out of all of them. It only makes sense that he at least gets a small victory. Also Fred copying the motivational speech that Herman made at the begginning… classic Fred. Great review George!

3. I said #15 on one of the podcasts, which was incorrect. That’s my bad! 🙂

Earlier this year we also posted about the rumor going around saying the book was ending with #15.

4. When I finished this issue I really enjoyed it, but for some reason I thought this was the last issue and was reading it expecting a big wrap up of the plot. I thought someone mentioned on the podcast or the front page that issue #15 was the last issue. Or maybe that was just a guess, I’m just happy that I get at least one more issue of this amazing book.

The fact that they buried Shocker in his outfit makes me think they forgot to remove/disable his gauntlets so he’ll be able to blast his way out.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *