Slott Slams Crawlspace on Twitter

Amazing Spider-Man writer Dan Slott took to his Twitter account to talk about the Crawlspace.
He claims he was banned from the site a year after he left the site. To set this mis-information  straight, Slott had one warning against him for personally attacking a message board member. Everyone gets three before they’re banned. 

Editor Steve Wacker was recently banned after his third warning on this news thread. I wrote in depth why he was banned on that link.
I’ve never talked to the Twitter user Travis Fowler before and I’m curious why he hates the site so much to prompt “FN Crawlspace” line. Feel free to tweet this to Slott and Fowler so they aren’t confused in the future.  

Like it? Share it!
Previous Article

The Amazing Spider-Man #668 Review

Next Article

Spider-Captions # 154

You might be interested in …

90 Comments

1. We’re fairly equal in our treatment of people. Always have been, no matter what people might think. Every decision was given its proper due diligence.

2. @87

If you read his post you’ll notice he didn’t say everyone who crtisized was a marvel employee just that he thinks some are.

On a side note I can’t believe this thread is still alive.

3. @86

Yeah, everyone who criticizes the actions of the mods are secret Marvel employees. It’s a conspiraaacy, dude!

Please, do you know how ridiculous you sound?

4. A popular and well-established CS reviewer was discontinued, apparently for not staying consistent with certain CS protocols against abusive speech. In my opinion, those who accuse CS of being incessantly, characteristically negative are either those who just parrot what others tell them to think, or Marvel employees trying to smear anyone who doesn’t fall into step with their corporate spin.

5. @#83

Fairly leveled… and somewhat skewed. If that was a personal attack, I assure you I would have been issued a warning for it already. Your “plea” for civility is something of a joke, really. I think everyone in this comments section, save a few, have been pretty civil. But then you go on about the overall negativity of front page posts. Go to the front page, check the front page submissions, and see how much of a “joke” it is. I give you plenty of points for being very polite about it… but that’s it. Hostile or restrained, a backhanded compliment is a backhanded compliment.

This site has PLENTY to offer people who come here. People will stick around this place because despite what you and others try to say, this place is NOT as bad as you try to portray it to be. If it was, NO ONE would be here. if you’re going to let all of TWO ARTICLES color your view of this site to the point that you no longer want to post here, well that’s a shame. I’m not going to lie, I really don’t care if you leave or not. That’s your decision. But don’t sit there and use ME as an overall example of what this site is about. That’s not fair to this site, or to me. But like I said, staying or leaving is your choice, and I don’t care either way.

BTW, this is me being civil. You haven’t seen me get hostile. It almost got me banned once. Ask Kevin…

6. @83

Well as far as reasons for people to stick around goes Ive personally found this site to be quite useful in finding out info and for discussions on variouse comics weather it be spidey or something else, and I really enjoy the podcast.

Plus this site has good policies as far as dealing with trolls and unrully people go Ive found, much better than most websites Ive gone too where people that go completely off the rails with insults, and in somecases racism and threats are even allowed to stick around. And they don’t play favorites since Ive seen more anti BND people get banned than pro for getting overly hostile (not to mention comics writers and editors have to stick to the rules too).

Thats just my two cents anyway.

7. @#78

Your hostility at my fairly leveled criticism and plea for civility is a pretty good example of what I’m talking about. Your rape analogy was offensive and uncalled for. Your assumptions on what I base my criticism on are unfair and out of hand intended as insults.

Why would anyone new stick around this place? What does it offer that other blogs or sites that review Spiderman comics don’t offer already? What type of baggage comes along with it?

Your personal attack against me aside, the ledger here is fairly negative against the crawlspace, which is a shame, because there are not too many places devoted this much to covering Spiderman. But I have to admit, I’m disinclined to visit again. I think this is a problem – not because I am a special little snowflake and everyone is missing out on not having me here, but because I think that I’ve got tastes and mores that represent a fairly large slice of normal people and the advice I give is to make sure that this place doesn’t get so insular in it’s gripes and complaints and fueds that you shut out new people, otherwise everything that has been built will dissapear.

Which I honestly think would be a shame.

8. Honestly, if half the new posts are just about “Slott said this on twitter” now or “why did we ban these creators” then maybe everyone should take a step back and look at what this site has become.

9. @ 78

Brad had to have two “negative” posts on the news page, as two negatives equal a positive. 🙂

10. I always wonder why people are so focused on the negativity when it comes to the crawlspace. It’s not like ASM gets good reviews everywhere else, just go to IGN and read the comments on most comic reviews and you’ll see negative comments about ASM too, even the CBR boards has it’s fair share of negative posts. I’m glad there are sites like these that cater to both anti and pro sides of spidey fandom. Plus the podcasts are funny.

I like comics and I like this site.

11. @#76

I gotta go to work, so I’ll make it brief.

When you say “all the negativity,” do you mean the Spidey strips? The comic reviews, the caption contest, the fight club, the podcast… what?

Ohhh, I bet you took all of TWO front page posting regarding slams against this site, and once again… like everybody else… disregarded the negativity of the statements being made of THIS SITE, and simply decided to focus on THIS SITE. Excuse the analogy, sensitive readers, but this is almost a comical version of “blame the rape victim.”

The administrators “cater” to whomever follow the rules and behave themselves. Zetas… introduce yourselves.

12. Something Wacker said a while back has actually stuck with me… donations. I don’t know about the rest of you, but he was wrong about me. I gave Mrs. Wendi Douglas a $2.00 tip a few months ago. Sure it’ not much, but it doesn’t take much. Whatever you can afford. He’s actually right about that. It wouldn’t hurt to show your support for this site.

When I hit the lottery, I’ll send you the big bucks, Brad.

13. I don’t know if anyone cares what I have to say, but as an infrequent visitor to this site (about once a week), I find myself not wanting to visit because of all the negativity that makes its way into the front page and especially into the forums. I feel like the administrators here cater to the worse natures of their established community and don’t hold themselves to a higher editorial standard that I would sort of expect.

Maybe that expectation is unfounded, I admit to that – but it would be nice if the administrators here would take a step back and think about what they could do to make this site welcoming to new people instead of just having what appears to be a negative feedback loop with their established members. It just seems really emotionally unhealthy to me for people to carry on like this all the time and it’s discouraging as a visitor to feel like every piece of content I am interested in looking at might be backed with pages of personal attacks and all around catty behavior.

14. @#74

I bet it not being said in the first place would have helped a lot more. People have opinions of a lot of things. Sometimes it’s best to keep one’s opinions to oneself. That’s what they should have done. You STILL want to absolve them of guilt while vilifying Brad for bringing this to our attention, and I STILL say you’re wrong.

15. This has gotten way out of hand, and could have been avoided if CrawlSpace just didn’t post this in the first place.

16. @71 – It’s blatantly disrespectful of Brad and this site. Wacker got himself banned with his behavior. He was warned twice before being banned. The rules here apply to EVERYONE, that includes creators and readers alike. He chose to disregard those rules. Coming back as a”clone” is thumbing his nose at Brad. It’s completely lacking in class or respect. It’s not funny. It’s actually pathetic.

17. One implication of Wacker and Slott’s behavior is that their boss’ bosses don’t consider their division important enough in the big corporate scheme of things to keep public discipline. You can be sure that if a Disney film studio executive acted the way they do, he would be warned, then have pay docked, then get canned. The fact that they do nothing to these guys shows how unimportant the upper mg’t considers what they do.

18. Brad, how is “hacking” back into your site un-classy? Please explain. I think it’s funny that Wacker has a clone. It seems people here take Crawl Space too seriously… “hey kids, it’s only the Internet.”

19. @#52: LOL

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted. I’m bummed that Wacker and George Berryman didn’t get to play with each other though. Those conversations are always fun to read.

20. I bet you he would never have the balls to tell some of this stuff to people in their faces…he would get beat up…can you imagine Stan Lee doing stuff like that to the fans?! He should take a page out of Stan’s book pronto. Honestly, I’m surprised he lasted this long. His posts were full of arrogance. IMO, he had it coming.

21. I’m actually surprised at Mr Wacker as well. I don’t understand why someone goes out of their way as a grown adult to alienate people, or in this case a portion of your fanbase.

22. Yeah, what would the policy be on the Marvel boards if someone were banned and snuck back in…?

The double standard and refusal to see how childish they act with Slott and Wacker is daunting to me. Especially when I realize that they’re both older than I am and should thus have some modicum of maturity.

23. It’s basically sneaking in the backdoor after being told to leave because you were rude. Stay classy Marvel!!

24. It doesn’t matter if it’s hacking or not. The fact is, he came back after being banned…

What a douche. He seems dedicated to pissing off his fans…I don’t get it…

25. Ok, I just banned Wacker again. He was banned after three warnings several weeks ago. He evidently decided to hack back into the site by using a new IP and e-mail. Very classy.

26. I thought SW was banned?

Then he shows up here…with the same childish antics and “personalized” version of “facts”.

Wow…apparently the word “professional” doesn’t always mean “professional”.

27. The audio interview that we did is slated for September. Brad had 5 shows for Aug so decided to hold it off.

28. I was post 29, and I think I might have come off a little troll-ish. I have to say #37, and #38 sum up my opinion perfectly, and I agree with what they have to say 100%. That’s the message I was not quite eloquent enough to say.

29. Why? Are you charged by the post?

Enigma, why are you much more pleasant in email and PM. It’s a habit with many of you here.

SW

30. Wow, I guess some people don’t know what banning means. It doesn’t mean you can come on with another name and keep doing the same stuff.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *