Bertone hates Betty Editorial

The accompanying art is from last Wednesday’s “Venom” issue 2. Our very own Crazy Chris has been doing a fine job reviewing it and you can check out his review here. In this scene we find Flash thinking of Betty and just what she deserves. The issue also has a speech by Betty that I find curious given her previous behavior. Let’s take a look shall we?

EDITED 5/1/11 to add new image

——————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

Disclaimer: Betty is a fictitious character. No matter what I type or say on a podcast I am not a crazy lunatic with murderous thoughts about a fake comic book character. It’s just fun comic talk.

Peter is over at Betty’s house keeping her company while Flash is out of town for Venom business. Peter begins to leave, but a sociopath like Betty can’t have that. She begins to sob to get his attention and rant about the state of her relationship with Flash.

I take some issues with a few things Ms. Brant says. For those of you who don’t know me, I’ve long been a critic of Betty’s behavior and I take great pleasure in pointing out her hypocrisy. Let’s examine some points in her speech.

“Are you kidding? Breaking up would be too easy.”

So Betty is accusing Flash of delying the breakup instead of coming right out and doing it. Cool except we have this scene from Peter Parker: Spider-Man (vol2) issue 18.

So above we see Flash willing to break up with Betty honestly and Betty going about it the cowardly way…exactly what Betty is currently accusing Flash of doing!

“Flash prefers to just ignore me”

Amazing Spider-Man issue 18

“Flash lacks the decency to face his problems head on. He’d prefer to let things die slowly and painfully.”

How many times has Betty run off without facing problems.  Leaving town to run without giving word?
Amazing Spider-Man issue 10

How very nice of her to not give Jonah notice. But remember, Flash is the real bad guy here right? It’s not like Betty has ever done this again..
Oh wait! There was Amazing Spider-Man issue 34.

Read that last caption! Even Stan (her writer and creator) didn’t know where she was!

Well that was the Lee/Ditko run…obviously she grew up after that right? No more leaving people when things get tough without facing them right?

Well there is Amazing Spider-Man issue 184.

——————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————-Keep in mind that in the above panel she is speaking of her HONEYMOON! Let’s use one more example before moving on.

Web of Spider-Man issue 40

She later complains in her speech about Flash “always running from something”. Indeed Betty.
Betty continues, “He’s oscillated between hero and jerk enough times. I’m done being surprised when the pendulum swings.”
I am not even going to touch that one. Readers of Steve Ditko’s run and listeners of “Amazing Spider-Man Classics” know though.

Betty continues, “I don’t ask for much Pete. I don’t”.
I’ve been using old examples and some people may say “no fair, she’s grown!” so I’ll use a recent example of Betty not asking for much.
Amazing Spider-Man issue 583

More examples of Betty “not asking for much” can be found throughout the back issue bins.
She mentions in her speech that she doesn’t need doting. That’s another one I’m not touching because the bandwidth wouldn’t be able to handle the scans.
She ends her speech with this nugget, “Flash Thompson might be the guy you’d want watching your back in a fight but when it comes to facing real life he’s the last guy anyone should rely on”.
Should we count on Flash? Well there was this moment from Amazing Spider-Man issue 289.

Well maybe he’s not reliable now. That was back in the 80’s. I mean what has Flash done recently?

Oh right! There was this whole “giving his legs for our country thing”. What has Betty done when times have gotten tough?

Amazing Spider-Man issue 7

Amazing Spider-Man issue 29

——————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————Well in those it’s super villains…what about relying on Betty on a friendship level? Maybe a more recent example?

Let’s revisit Amazing Spider-Man issue 583.

——————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————<!–

Letting Robbie down is real low. After Betty left her overseas Bugle post during her honeymoon Robbie gave her a job as his secretary. She left that position so she could go to marriage counseling for months. Seriously. Robbie still held the position for her and gave it back to her in the Stern run. She left again to join a cult without giving notice. Instead of returning to Robbie she jumped ship and become Jonah’s secretary at a rival news organization.
But remember, Flash is the one his friends can’t rely on right.  

Want another example?

Amazing Spider-Man issue 615

Betty is taking advantage of her roommate and being a very bad/unethical roommate/reporter. Thanks to Stillanerd for bringing this one to my attention.

I’ve often been asked why I hate Betty. I hope her hypocritical speech in Venom issue 2 has shed some light on this. There is plenty more where this came from and if you want to see it, I’d be happy to enlighten you. Want this to be an ongoing series? Let me know in the comments section. In the meantime, let’s hear what Peter has to say about this.

Like it? Share it!
Previous Article

Oscorp in Amazing Spider-Man Movie

Next Article

1994 Spider-Man episode #58-“The Price of Heroism” Review

You might be interested in …

20 Comments

1. Forgot those ads change when you refresh, haha. Too bad. Still, great stuff Bertone! As much of this as we get on Amazing Spider-Man Classics, it’s fun to see how little she’s changed.

2. I just feel the need to mention that at the end of the article about Betty being a crazy hypocrite is an ad offering to explain why *women* love jerks. Oh, irony.

3. Thanks for the credit, Bertone. 😀

And hey, as long as we’re on the “Betty Brant is a horrible person” parade, let’s not forget how she and Flash first became a couple, shall we? You know, her whole “cheating on her husband and seducing another man away from his girlfriend who came to the United States just to be with him?” No wonder Peter wants to leave Betty in that scene from Venom #2. 😛

4. @Two-Bit Lawyer,

Yup it’s cherry-picking. I admit it. However in this case there was plenty of cherries to pick which made it easy.

5. Okay, I’ll play.

Cherry-picking is fun. I can easily take scenes where characters have been written as d-bags and make a case for how terrible they are as human beings. Heck, I can take scenes from BND and make a case for how Spidey is the worst hero ever. Of course, fans would jump all over me about how I’m wrong, but if I only use certain evidence, I can twist the facts to my liking.

It all boils down to how writers want to characterize any given character.

Unfortunately, writers choose to keep writing Betty as an crazy witch because Stan did it. And I think even if we had a story where Betty would do something of value, no one would care because it would go against all the dumb moments she’s been given. It’s part of her “background” now, “classic Betty,” and that’s a shame.

I do so look forward to a good Betty story someday. I won’t hold my breath, though.

Your turn now. 😉

6. For this and more Bertone/Betty beef you can find it in Amazing Spider-Man Classics Podcast!

7. Never had much interest in Betty, probably since I was never that big on the early Spidey issues where she had more of a role… but I agree these panels do make her look crazy

8. The question is:Why do the writers keep bringing her back? She’s not very interesting. Her “characteristics” consist of the following;
    1. She’s held a job at the Bugle as secretary/reporter/secretary most of her life.
    2.She’s known Peter since issue#1.
    3She’s been in multiple failed relationships.
    4.Her younger self had an irrational fear of Spider-man even after he saved her.

That’s it.

What does she bring to stories besides nostalgia associated with the Ditko years? And she doesn’t represent the best of the Ditko era characters. She hasn’t been much of a friend to Peter(the only thing I can think of was the time she called out Deb Whitman over the book she wrote).
    As for her husbands/boyfriends, their failures aren’t all her fault, but she doesn’t seem to have grown at all. I’ve been in a few failed relationships myself. Some of what went wrong in them was my fault, some of the fault of the other half of the relationship. But one thing I learned is, if you love the person and want to save the relationship, don’t give up. Betty ALWAYS gives up.
    I just wish the writers would “give up” on Betty and write her out of the book once and for all!
    While I’m here, I have to say how much I enjoy Bertone’s Betty Brant “impressions” on the podcast! Sorry that “Betty” will be off the podcast for a few years.

9. “Is she Peter? Or is she a horrible person ?” That was the icing on the cake of a hilarious article.

10. Why do you hate me?! What have I done?!

I’m running away to the arms of my Ned!(while I’m in a relationship with Peter) You’ll never see me again!
    🙁

11. Josh, I think you crossed a line here. This is still awesome, though! 🙂

12. Wow, that was awesome. I vote for ongoing Betty articles whenever you want them. Very well thought out and thanks for the hard work on this one!

13. The more evidence that is stacked up, the more I find myself starting to hate Betty.

She truly is a horrible person, and I’m sure that Carlie Cooper will join her soon enough.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *