Podcast # 490 Slott Exit, What Did You think?

Leave a Message to BD, general notes about the site, or ask a question on the podcast!

Moderators: PartyHardy, BD, stillanerd

BD
Webmaster
Webmaster

Podcast # 490 Slott Exit, What Did You think?

Post by BD » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:00 am

What did you think of the show?

The opening song is here .
https://youtu.be/UH01FhqMdc8
BD
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Spider-Man Crawl Space Webmaster
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Big Al
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Re: Podcast # 490 Slott Exit, What Did You think?

Post by Big Al » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:03 am

Thank god he's gone is what I say.

On what was specifically said on the show though I'm sorry JR but...what was so bad about Michelinie's ASM run that it was worse than:

a) DeMatteis' where he had Spidey enter a web cocoon

b) the Mackie run where Spidey was homeless and dealing with Green Goblin V who was a clone of nobdoy?

c) Slott's who for 31 issues wasn't even writing about Peter Parker, did a storyline about AU Spider people where Spidey was second fiddle to varaint action figure versions of himself, another storyline where Peter was a rip off of Iron Man, and before ever starting any of those plots had Spider-Man adopt a huge mantra about not letting anyone die even though that was literally what he'd been doing since his very first appearance.

I'm sorry but one bad Venom story per year and endless lame villains with high tech battlesuits comes anywhere close to the awefulness of the above.

Even the Mary Jane smoking subplot isn't AS bad as killing Mary Jane off or writing her so utterly out of character the way Slott has since 2008. The smoking thing was a lame subplot that was at least not out of character and ended after 2 years where it didn't show up every issue. Meanwhile Slott's run did an entire 31 issues series where Mary Jane was a clueless idiot who didn't seem to care all that much that someone she'd known for half her life was acting nothing like his old self and that was necesarry for making the entire premise of the series merely exist without falling apart.
Delta House Member Gimli

https://40.media.tumblr.com/2e65cb18213b8d4bf704dca08169e49c/tumblr_nz9jrqvyRA1she6m6o1_400.jpg

"The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the water spout. Down came the Goblin and took the spider out. "

Joey Z was F.A.C.A.D.E.

THIS: http://hellzyeahthewebwieldingavenger.tumblr.com/post/77268781356/the-debate-norman-osborn-vs-otto-octavius-who-is-the

My secret identity is: Ubertestosterone90sArnieAvenger....-Man

Cheesedique
Avenger
Avenger

Post by Cheesedique » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:59 pm

Got about halfway through the YouTube video last night, it was cool to see some of these faces that have just been screen names. Thanks for pulling this all together so quick, it made yesterday even more special. [smilie=spidey_thumbs.gif]

Have to agree with Al here, regarding Michilinie—I think his run gets unfairly crapped on when at worst, it’s just not that memorable. He never did anything over-the-top offensive like some, never trolled the fans. He wrote Peter and Mary Jane and really every one with care and fidelity. Even when Venom was appearing every ten issues, it never once came off like Brock’s story was being favored over Peter, who was still the one driving rhe book.

Actually, I would pick Michilinie and JMS as my two favorite ASM runs.

Mackie and slott would be my vote for the two worst-ever.
"I lied. I lied horribly. [Laughs.] But that’s what us storytellers do, we spin lies."

Cocaine and Chainsaws (NSFW)

Venk-Man
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Post by Venk-Man » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:12 pm

After ten long years, it looks like there's finally light at the end of this dark tunnel.

(Let's just hope it's not from an oncoming train)

ChiTownSpidey
Webslinger
Webslinger

Post by ChiTownSpidey » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:27 pm

Cheesedique wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:59 pm
Actually, I would pick Michilinie and JMS as my two favorite ASM runs.

Mackie and slott would be my vote for the two worst-ever.
WORD!!

Extreme Spider
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey

Post by Extreme Spider » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:04 am

I wouldn't consider OMD to be JMS's final story because that was an Abomination by Committee headed by Queseda. Actually I'd say Back in Black would be his final story and that's a great story to leave in, especially with Peter putting the fear of God into Kingpin.

spiderman252
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Post by spiderman252 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:33 pm

“My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over.”

Aaron TE Price
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Post by Aaron TE Price » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:39 pm

I listened to the show and have been following for some time now. Count me in the camp that came to the site because of JR.

I've been a Spidey fan since the late 80's and own the complete original Spectacular series, a complete Marvel Team-Up series, and used to have a complete Web series until I read the whole thing and realized it wasn't worth keeping. When I was young, I was collecting Spectacular during the DeMatteis days and my buddy was collecting Amazing, so I was still reading all of it. I also have all the Amazing Epic Collections and both Todd McFarlane omnibuses. I mention all this just to give an idea of my level of experience. I've never actually collected Amazing on a monthly basis and have only read a hand full of Slott Amazing issues. However, through the podcast and my general reading, I have a very good idea of what his run is like and have no interest in following it.

However, before he became the Amazing writer, I was a huge fan of his short-lived Thing series, his Great Lakes Avengers comics, and the Spidey/Torch mini. I never read his She Hulk but only ever heard good things about it. I also read and liked the first trade of his Silver Surfer, which might be an unpopular opinion. So my question for all the people who are excited to see Slott gone (count me amongst you) how do you feel about his earlier work? Do you guys not like any of the stuff I've mentioned? Or do you feel like he's dropped off in quality since those days? From the podcast, it seems to sound like most people think he's burned himself out.

I also think he stuck around too long to hit records, which is a stupid, pointless reason to stay on. Bendis did the same thing with Avengers, X-Men, and GotG, and who is ever going to look back on any of those runs as classics? I know I won't. He kept me from being able to collect a Guardians book for years.

BD
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by BD » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:38 am

I also liked his Thing and She Hulk books. He's had a couple Spidey stories I liked. But he is burned out and mix that with his online behavior with fans and I'm now no longer a fan.
BD
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lockdown
Webslinger
Webslinger

Post by Lockdown » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:36 pm

I did forget I do have the Thing TPB of his. All but issue 4-5 are very good, it also has a nice conclusion. I did enjoy his She-hulk series.

Masked Guy
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey

Post by Masked Guy » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:03 pm

You can also include me in the camp of people who were introduced to the Crawlspace by SpideyKicksButt.com. I still hope JR will write more articles for it someday.

I'm glad to see people defending David Micheline's run here. It was far from perfect and had several clunkers, but I still think it was a fun, memorable period overall--certainly nowhere near as bad as Denny O'Neil's, Howard Mackie's and Dan Slott's time on the title.

Top 2 AMAZING writers:

2.) Roger Stern
1.) Gerry Conway

Bottom 2 AMAZING writers:

2.) Dan Slott
1.) Howard Mackie

Granted, I do think there are better and worse Spider-Man writers overall, but those would have to be my choices if we're only talking about AMAZING SPIDER-MAN.

Enigma_2099
Avenger
Avenger

Post by Enigma_2099 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:50 pm

If the new writer doesn't try to fix what's been broke, then what's the point of getting rid of him.
Delta House member: Werewolf

"Are you out of your F@%#%@ MIND!?!?!?!"

~Ghost Rider to Spider-man~

Well, he SHOULD say that to him....

And I'm sorry, Brad... I know you said she's all about sex, but you're f****** wrong.

~Donovan Grant~

hornacek
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey

Post by hornacek » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:26 pm

Big Al wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:03 am
Thank god he's gone is what I say.

On what was specifically said on the show though I'm sorry JR but...what was so bad about Michelinie's ASM run that it was worse than:

a) DeMatteis' where he had Spidey enter a web cocoon
I don't blame DeMatteis for that. That was more of the direction Marvel was taking the character - dark, gritty. And I can't remember if they had decided at that point or not to bring back Ben Reilly as the fun Spider-Man, so they were doing everything they could to make Peter seem more serious and downbeat. Dematteis had many more high points and successes to let this one thing bring down his average.
Big Al wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:03 am
b) the Mackie run where Spidey was homeless and dealing with Green Goblin V who was a clone of nobdoy?
Mackie's problem during this run (and I think he admitted it himself in an interview on this podcast) is that he was burned out writing ASM and PPSM every month. If all we had was his ASM run then I'd agree that Mackie was one of the worst writers. But we also have him PPSM run later which is great. So his Byrne/Mackie issues are bad, but more from him trying to do too much.

Plus the reveal of the GG5 was taken out of Mackie's (or was it Defalco's?) hands because it was originally intended to be Phil Urich, but editorial made him/them change that, so they were stuck with a mystery character that they didn't know who they really were.
The Crawl Space is well worth the cost of a single comic book a month.

"You just got Hornacek'd!"
-Chris, episode #250

"I guarantee you Hornacek is gonna quote that ... you've been Hornaceked."
- Brad, episode #263

"Hornacek's pretty cool."
- George, episode #400

hornacek
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey

Post by hornacek » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:29 pm

I think I commented this in the YouTube comments when this was recorded, but when Brad was asking callers (and the panel) what Slott's best story was, some people said Superior, but I'm surprised no one specifically said "Dying Wish" aka ASM #698, the issue that reads as Peter Parker but you find out at the end that he was Doc Ock the entire time. When the panel reviewed this issue, I think the lowest grade was A, with some giving it an A+. Still a great issue.
The Crawl Space is well worth the cost of a single comic book a month.

"You just got Hornacek'd!"
-Chris, episode #250

"I guarantee you Hornacek is gonna quote that ... you've been Hornaceked."
- Brad, episode #263

"Hornacek's pretty cool."
- George, episode #400

BD
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by BD » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:32 pm

I remember liking that issue a lot. I think I even reviewed ASM 700 on the front page and gave it an A.
BD
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~