Podcast # 479 Message Board Q&A What did you think?

Leave a Message to BD, general notes about the site, or ask a question on the podcast!

Moderators: PartyHardy, BD, stillanerd

BD
Webmaster
Webmaster

Podcast # 479 Message Board Q&A What did you think?

Post by BD » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:55 pm

What do you think of the new show?

The opening song is here.
https://youtu.be/0nndsXLxGdU
BD
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Spider-Man Crawl Space Webmaster
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Big Al
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Re: Podcast # 479 Message Board Q&A What did you think?

Post by Big Al » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:45 pm

Message board questions?

Where was the 'Ask the gang a question' thread? I don't recall seeing it? Actually that's happened a few times to me. I always just check the Crawlspace 101 section
Delta House Member Gimli

https://40.media.tumblr.com/2e65cb18213b8d4bf704dca08169e49c/tumblr_nz9jrqvyRA1she6m6o1_400.jpg

"The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the water spout. Down came the Goblin and took the spider out. "

Joey Z was F.A.C.A.D.E.

THIS: http://hellzyeahthewebwieldingavenger.tumblr.com/post/77268781356/the-debate-norman-osborn-vs-otto-octavius-who-is-the

My secret identity is: Ubertestosterone90sArnieAvenger....-Man

Adam S.
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey

Post by Adam S. » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:14 pm

Big Al wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:45 pm
Message board questions?

Where was the 'Ask the gang a question' thread? I don't recall seeing it? Actually that's happened a few times to me. I always just check the Crawlspace 101 section
Here's the thread from early September:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=22313

Frontier
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey

Post by Frontier » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:29 pm

Lot of older writers being suggested to take over the title. If Marvel ever does have someone replace anyone on ASM I doubt it's going to be an older writer or someone who's been on the book before.

If you guys thinks comics are decompressed now, you should read Dan Jurgen's Action Comics run :P .

If James Gunn got Doom I wouldn't be surprised if we got Doom making fart jokes or being used in some kind of comedic context. He's not a director I pin down as someone who I can see doing Victor justice.

Marvel doesn't have much reason to change as long as they can point towards their consistent higher market share.

I guess it is an honest question as to whether Peter Parker should come off as the exact same kind of kid he was in the 60's, and same with Aunt May, as he would in the modern era even though the setting and the stuff he's growing around would be completely different.

MisterMets
Avenger
Avenger

Post by MisterMets » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:28 pm

Interesting mini-discussions, although with a bit more extraneous side-chatter than usual (IE- figuring out if someone's on the board) and some references to visual props.

The top ten stories of the decade question was overly ambitious, although sticking with one story each was a good move. Incidentally, my picks would have been the Master Planner Saga (60s), The Night Gwen Stacy Died (70s), the Kid Who Collects Spider-Man (80s), the Harry Osborn saga (90s), Learning Curve (00s) and the first ten issues of Superior Spider-Man (current decade.) George's comments on whether recent stories were as groundbreaking as what would have been picked in a different decade raise two questions: Why can't the best story just be something that's well-told and will we be able to realize immediately what has an impact?

When it's time to replace Slott, I agree with BD that it should be someone new to Spider-Man. There's a bit of a nuance in that it could be someone who is new to Marvel. but it shouldn't be someone new to comics writing (JMS came to Amazing Spider-Man after kicking ass on some Image creator-owned stuff, Joss Whedon came to Astonishing Spider-Man as an established TV showrunner.) A cheat I do when considering these types of questions is to google lista of the best comics of the previous year, and see if there's anyone there who makes sense on this series.

With the insights question, George had an interesting comment that Peter doesn't curse, although I wonder how much of that is due to the character and how much of it is to the circumstances behind the publishing (Does Peter act the way he does because this is what we can expect of a kid raised by Aunt May and Uncle Ben, or because decades of comics were published under the Comics Code of Authority at a time when Spider-Man was essentially Marvel's mascot?)

On the topic of interesting interviews, I'd recommend Jim Salicrup and Larry Lieber. Salicrup edited the title during an interesting time, and has had some interesting stories (I've seen him at comics panels- dude loves to talk.) Larry Lieber illustrated some major silver age comics (Annuals 4-5) as well as the newspaper strip, and has had interesting roles in the industry (he was editor at Atlas Comics- an early attempt at a third-company rival to Marvel and DC, and ran Marvel's British comics line in the 90s.)

I'm probably going to write a Tangled Web column on the question of whether Spider-Man is a hero who is young, or who we've seen grow up, because it is a major divide, with ramifications in how the character is viewed.

Big Al
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Post by Big Al » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:06 pm

With respect to Ashley on the topic of Peter’s guilt, I think that’s a case of things varying from writer to writer.

Realistically Peter is always going to have a certain propensity to blame himself for stuff off the cuff because Ben and Gwen’s deaths were his fault and those traumatic events happened in his early life (15 years old and 20 years old).

However when you really think about it, as much as Peter TALKS about his guilt, a lot of the times it kind of fades away.

Like he felt guilty over Gwen’s death and initially blamed that on his being Spider-Man but then he never even questioned dating anyone after she died. In the 1970s stories MJ was actually hospitalized by Harry who was going after Peter and that was not long after Gwen died. He still didn’t question dating her.

I think as far as his guilt goes Peter essentially has the knee jerk first reaction to blame himself for a lot of things but doesn’t deep down actually buy into his own hype most of the time. he beats himself up a bit and then just calms down and moves on.

And he probably does that just because he’s used to doing that ever since he was a kid and because he lives a life where a lot of the time things are out of his control. Jameson slanders him. His social and acaemic life are chaotic because he’s been busy as Spider-Man. Being Spider-Mn cuases him to go on endless side quests to resolve one crisis or another. Aunt May gets sick at the drop of a hat. Villains target him or his friends and family, etc.

So as his relatively brief kneejerk first reaction to assume the guilt for those things is not unnatural, it just makes him weirdly feel a little bit better about himself, a little bit more in control until he can calm down a bit and get himself back to centre.
Delta House Member Gimli

https://40.media.tumblr.com/2e65cb18213b8d4bf704dca08169e49c/tumblr_nz9jrqvyRA1she6m6o1_400.jpg

"The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the water spout. Down came the Goblin and took the spider out. "

Joey Z was F.A.C.A.D.E.

THIS: http://hellzyeahthewebwieldingavenger.tumblr.com/post/77268781356/the-debate-norman-osborn-vs-otto-octavius-who-is-the

My secret identity is: Ubertestosterone90sArnieAvenger....-Man

Masked Guy
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey

Post by Masked Guy » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:41 pm

Good podcast, everyone! Sorry about my question being too big; I guess I just got excited at the prospect of finally getting to ask a question on the show. Thank you for at least giving me one story per decade (good picks by the way). It's a shame that JR was unable to attend as I was very eager to hear what his choices would be. All in all, great show!

Adam S.
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey

Post by Adam S. » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:53 pm

Masked Guy wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:41 pm
Good podcast, everyone! Sorry about my question being too big; I guess I just got excited at the prospect of finally getting to ask a question on the show. Thank you for at least giving me one story per decade (good picks by the way). It's a shame that JR was unable to attend as I was very eager to hear what his choices would be. All in all, great show!
This doesn't totally answer the question you asked, but it's related:

http://www.spideykicksbutt.com/SpiderMa ... Part3.html

Masked Guy
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey

Post by Masked Guy » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:03 pm

Adam S. wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:53 pm
Masked Guy wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:41 pm
This doesn't totally answer the question you asked, but it's related:

http://www.spideykicksbutt.com/SpiderMa ... Part3.html
I've actually already read that article. Thank you though.