Last Movie You Watched

Discuss Spider-Man's Tangled Web of Animated Series, Live Action shows or the Movies!

Moderators: PartyHardy, BD, Spideydude

RDMacQ
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Re: Last Movie You Watched

Post by RDMacQ » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:39 am

Checked out "The Founder" earlier this week on Netflix, a 2016 film starring Michael Keaton as Ray Kroc, the man who established the McDonald's corporation as the massive franchise that it is today. It's an interesting film that looks at what it took to make McDonald's into the global megachain, and it does not shy away from the uglier side of the business. Make no mistake, this is not a feel good "Man overcomes the odds to realize his dream." Keaton's Ray Kroc is someone that starts out relatively sympathetic, but over the course of the film degrades into someone that is tough to stomach. No lie- Keaton's Vulture is a far more sympathetic and likeable character that Ray Kroc.

The film is also an interesting one if you have any interest in business, as the films shows what it takes to not just be a successful business, but also a successful franchise, and the little things along the way that can help build an empire. Things that many may not even realize or even consider, but that go a long way to helping a business stand apart from the rest. And the revelation as to the most important one of these factors is another instance that shows Keaton's Kroc as the manipulative and duplicitous schemer that he is, but also shows the insight he had that helped him realize what an asset that was being wasted.

If you have Netflix, I'd strongly suggest checking it out. Especially if you liked Keaton's performance in Homecoming.

Cheesedique
Avenger
Avenger

Post by Cheesedique » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:46 pm

Life (2017) - This Alien-like horror flick takes place on a space station where the crew process a new life form. It escapes and all hell breaks loose of course. Generally effective but with the usual story beats these movies have. When it slows down to allow some quieter moments, it gets considerably boring, inducing sleep. Not bad but not essential viewing. 6/10.

Batman & Harley Quinn (2017) - Today is the 25th anniversary of the first airing of B:TAS. A lot of the same team produced this latest direct to disc animated flick. Seems like Bruce Timm and company are really pushing to live up to this feature's PG-13 rating, with some blood, sexiness and some decidedly vulgar humor. Starts out interesting, but bogs down towards the middle with a couple of ill-advised musical numbers that go on way too long (though it's nice to see a Captain Clown cameo). By the end, it's clear this isn't meant to be taken seriously, and that's a shame because it features Kevin Conroy and some others of the original voice cast. The new voice actress for Harley Quinn does an okay job. But this release feels too much like a piss-take that doesn't live up to the greatness of the original series. 5/10.

Cheesedique
Avenger
Avenger

Post by Cheesedique » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:47 am

Caught IT (2017) last night---very unsettling and effective adaptation of the King novel. This film version jettisons the narrative framework of the book, and just features the kid's story (updated from the 50's of the novel to the late 1980's). Otherwise, this seems pretty faithful to the source material, and is a bit like Stranger Things with more gore, terror and swearing. Some remarkably disturbing horror scenes and effects, and Skarsgård’s Pennywise is mind-bendingly scary. Can't wait for the next chapter. 9/10

Cheesedique
Avenger
Avenger

Post by Cheesedique » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:35 am

Blade Runner 2049, no spoilers except to say I loved this flick and it certainly feels like a very worthy successor to the first film, here some 35 years later.

If I had to be critical about something, it's that this film's villains aren't as good this time around. But this is a pretty minor complaint, and it does not hurt the movie a bit. Denis Villeneuve did a fantastic job here directing, and it helps that they got the original movie's writer, Hampton Fancher, back for this installment.

2049 is a triumph of sound, vision, inspiration and cerebral sci-fi. They simply don't make them like this much any more, and certainly not this good. I will probably need to see it in the theater again. 10/10

RDMacQ
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Post by RDMacQ » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:45 pm

Cheesedique wrote:Blade Runner 2049, no spoilers except to say I loved this flick and it certainly feels like a very worthy successor to the first film, here some 35 years later.

If I had to be critical about something, it's that this film's villains aren't as good this time around. But this is a pretty minor complaint, and it does not hurt the movie a bit. Denis Villeneuve did a fantastic job here directing, and it helps that they got the original movie's writer, Hampton Fancher, back for this installment.

2049 is a triumph of sound, vision, inspiration and cerebral sci-fi. They simply don't make them like this much any more, and certainly not this good. I will probably need to see it in the theater again. 10/10
I saw Blade Runner 2049 last night, and it is certainly a very good movie.

It does feel like a continuation of the narrative, rather than simply a cash grab. Rather than trying to turn the film into a massive action vehicle, with a bunch of callbacks and references to the first film, it instead feels like a continuing story in this world. It was smart of the studio to hire a director who has experience in acclaimed science fiction films, rather than get a music video director or someone known more for action flicks to direct. That helped the film feel like a true successor to the original.

I do find it funny that people are taking the big reveal on face value, though. Since when has Blade Runner ever been straight about anything?

Cheesedique
Avenger
Avenger

Post by Cheesedique » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:48 pm

RDMacQ wrote:
Cheesedique wrote:Blade Runner 2049, no spoilers except to say I loved this flick and it certainly feels like a very worthy successor to the first film, here some 35 years later.

I saw Blade Runner 2049 last night, and it is certainly a very good movie.

It does feel like a continuation of the narrative, rather than simply a cash grab. Rather than trying to turn the film into a massive action vehicle, with a bunch of callbacks and references to the first film, it instead feels like a continuing story in this world. It was smart of the studio to hire a director who has experience in acclaimed science fiction films, rather than get a music video director or someone known more for action flicks to direct. That helped the film feel like a true successor to the original.

I do find it funny that people are taking the big reveal on face value, though. Since when has Blade Runner ever been straight about anything?
Definitely a continuation of the original narrative, and when there are callbacks to the original, they don’t seem pointless.

I read that Ridley Scott was set to direct this, but probably had to drop out to helm Alien: Covenant instead. I think it was a good move bringing in Villeneuve, because it brought a new energy to the film.

Guess we will discuss your theory of the big reveal in PM, so as not to spoil anyone here. People should go into this as fresh as possible.

Cheesedique
Avenger
Avenger

Post by Cheesedique » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:21 am

Me and the gf went to see Justice League last night.

To say my expectations were low would be the understatement of the year. To my surprise, the DCEU has finally hit on the right formula for their movies here: one part Zack Snyder slow-mo badass action (
► Show Spoiler
), one part wise-cracky Joss Whedon. It does work quite well together, much better than one would think.

Also
► Show Spoiler
I actually enjoyed the hell out of this movie from the first scene. There does seem to have been quite a bit cut out (Flash & Cyborg get only tossed-off sentences of dialog that hint at their origins), but it was a tight, satisfying two hours. Seems like DC has finally figured out how to make their movies work. It's no Avengers, but as the first film in a team up movie, it's quite enjoyable. 8/10.
► Show Spoiler

RDMacQ
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Post by RDMacQ » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:47 pm

Cheesedique wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:21 am
Me and the gf went to see Justice League last night.

To say my expectations were low would be the understatement of the year. To my surprise, the DCEU has finally hit on the right formula for their movies here: one part Zack Snyder slow-mo badass action (
► Show Spoiler
), one part wise-cracky Joss Whedon. It does work quite well together, much better than one would think.

Also
► Show Spoiler
I actually enjoyed the hell out of this movie from the first scene. There does seem to have been quite a bit cut out (Flash & Cyborg get only tossed-off sentences of dialog that hint at their origins), but it was a tight, satisfying two hours. Seems like DC has finally figured out how to make their movies work. It's no Avengers, but as the first film in a team up movie, it's quite enjoyable. 8/10.
► Show Spoiler
I honestly do not get the hate this film is receiving.

I saw it. I enjoyed it. It was fun. Yet critics are savaging this thing like it owes them money.

It's not perfect. It's rough and rushed in parts, especially at the start. But once the team gets together it gets better structurally.

I think what is happening is that we are seeing another "Orville" situation. The critical score for Justice League is 39%. But the audience score is 86%!

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/justice_league_2017/

That is a massive dissonance between the audience and the critics, so something has to be up. The same thing happened with The Orville. Critics savaged it, but the audience loved it and it's one of the hottest new shows of the year. I wonder if the good press from the audiences will cause Justice League to have stronger legs at the box office next week, and not have the same steep dropoff that BvS had.