Are there any changes you’d make to the Spider-Man series?

Discuss Spidey's comics, or any other comics that you like.

Moderators: PartyHardy, BD, stillanerd, Spideydude

Enigma_2099
Avenger
Avenger

Re: Are there any changes you’d make to the Spider-Man series>

Post by Enigma_2099 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:17 pm

Big Al wrote:
Enigma_2099 wrote:My god.. you even want Screwball back?!?!?
In fairness Mister negative does have some good mileage in him
Maybe so, but... SCREWBALL?!?!
Delta House member: Werewolf

"Are you out of your F@%#%@ MIND!?!?!?!"

~Ghost Rider to Spider-man~

Well, he SHOULD say that to him....

And I'm sorry, Brad... I know you said she's all about sex, but you're f****** wrong.

~Donovan Grant~

NickMB
Avenger
Avenger

Post by NickMB » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:38 am

Enigma_2099 wrote: Maybe so, but... SCREWBALL?!?!
Not everyone is the Green Goblin, we could always use a new low-ranking villain and at least Screwball was memorable. Since they went to the trouble of creating the character, may as well use them.
Read Hobson & Choi - my comedy-mystery webserial - right now.
More available on my blog and Twitter. Form an orderly queue.

Spider-Padre
Avenger
Avenger

Post by Spider-Padre » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:01 pm

Make Screwball another illegitimate daughter of Max Dillon, thus explaining how a mere parkour racer could keep up with, or outpace, Spider-Man. Her physical speed is boosted along by electrical current in the air. Spidey doesn't have a good speedster villain.

Big Al
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Post by Big Al » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:16 pm

Mr. Noodle wrote:Make Screwball another illegitimate daughter of Max Dillon, thus explaining how a mere parkour racer could keep up with, or outpace, Spider-Man. Her physical speed is boosted along by electrical current in the air. Spidey doesn't have a good speedster villain.
I'd actually be okay with that. Along with her being one fo the few female Spider-Man villains. I do think however that Spider-Man has so many B-list and below villains out there that the writers are simultaniously bieng lazy and making their jobs harder by not using them. If you want a lame villain just look to the annals of the past theres plenty.

You know I've always felt that the Toad could be a good match for Spider-Man. He has the agilit thing going for him plus toads eat spiders (don't they?)
Delta House Member Gimli

https://40.media.tumblr.com/2e65cb18213b8d4bf704dca08169e49c/tumblr_nz9jrqvyRA1she6m6o1_400.jpg

"The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the water spout. Down came the Goblin and took the spider out. "

Joey Z was F.A.C.A.D.E.

THIS: http://hellzyeahthewebwieldingavenger.tumblr.com/post/77268781356/the-debate-norman-osborn-vs-otto-octavius-who-is-the

My secret identity is: Ubertestosterone90sArnieAvenger....-Man

Eddie
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Post by Eddie » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:47 pm

Big Al wrote:
Mr. Noodle wrote:Make Screwball another illegitimate daughter of Max Dillon, thus explaining how a mere parkour racer could keep up with, or outpace, Spider-Man. Her physical speed is boosted along by electrical current in the air. Spidey doesn't have a good speedster villain.
I'd actually be okay with that. Along with her being one fo the few female Spider-Man villains. I do think however that Spider-Man has so many B-list and below villains out there that the writers are simultaniously bieng lazy and making their jobs harder by not using them. If you want a lame villain just look to the annals of the past theres plenty.

You know I've always felt that the Toad could be a good match for Spider-Man. He has the agilit thing going for him plus toads eat spiders (don't they?)
Spock would probably kill Speedball. Which, may not be a bad thing. [smilie=spidey_rolling.gif]
[img]http://i46.tinypic.com/4g6o9d.jpg[/img]

Big Al
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Post by Big Al » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:22 pm

Eddie wrote:
Big Al wrote:

Spock would probably kill Speedball. Which, may not be a bad thing. [smilie=spidey_rolling.gif]
buy that issue tbh along with a Kaine/Scarlet Spider vs Otto/Spider-Man book
Delta House Member Gimli

https://40.media.tumblr.com/2e65cb18213b8d4bf704dca08169e49c/tumblr_nz9jrqvyRA1she6m6o1_400.jpg

"The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the water spout. Down came the Goblin and took the spider out. "

Joey Z was F.A.C.A.D.E.

THIS: http://hellzyeahthewebwieldingavenger.tumblr.com/post/77268781356/the-debate-norman-osborn-vs-otto-octavius-who-is-the

Kevin Cushing
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Post by Kevin Cushing » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:48 pm

Big Al wrote:[I'mm not saying super saturate the market by having 2 Spider-Man books, a venom book, a scarlet spider book, a alpha book, a black cat book and I dunno a Prowler book
Right now we have 2 Spider-Man books (3 if you count Ultimate), a Venom book, a Scarlet Spider book, an Alpha book, and a Morbius book. So, ya know, close. Though to be fair the Alpha book is only a mini-series.

Oddly we have 0 books in any universe starring Peter Parker (no, I do not count The Ghost of Whining Past in Superior Spider-Man).
Join my page on Facebook to keep up to date with all writing projects, podcasts, and everything else I'm involved in!

"The ground quakes and the heavens cry tears of blood when Kevin gives out his brand of Crawlspace justice. Babies cry, grown men avert their eyes, women pass out and even the wind gives pause. Kevin’s eyes glow and lightning crackles around them. It’s pretty epic and definitely not for the timid." - Michael Bailey

thearachknight89
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Post by thearachknight89 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:17 pm

Kevin Cushing wrote:
Big Al wrote:[I'mm not saying super saturate the market by having 2 Spider-Man books, a venom book, a scarlet spider book, a alpha book, a black cat book and I dunno a Prowler book
Right now we have 2 Spider-Man books (3 if you count Ultimate), a Venom book, a Scarlet Spider book, an Alpha book, and a Morbius book. So, ya know, close. Though to be fair the Alpha book is only a mini-series.

Oddly we have 0 books in any universe starring Peter Parker (no, I do not count The Ghost of Whining Past in Superior Spider-Man).
Well there is one book that Peter's still alive in. The Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon comic, which isn't incredibly horrid.

Shadow116
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey

Post by Shadow116 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:55 am

Al, just need to ask, can we be as specific as we want here? I did want to throw out everything I'd personally wanna work with on a Spidey title. I Thought it could lead to some good discussion after I posted the specifics.
With great power there must also come great responsibility.

The Friendly Neighborhood Writer

Delta House Member: BLUES

Big Al
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Post by Big Al » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:02 am

Kevin Cushing wrote:Right now we have 2 Spider-Man books (3 if you count Ultimate), a Venom book, a Scarlet Spider book, an Alpha book, and a Morbius book. So, ya know, close. Though to be fair the Alpha book is only a mini-series.
I don’t count alternate universes I think thats a bit of a cheat. Even if we did count alternate universes Miles Morales isn’t Peter Parker and Ultimate Peter Parker provided something very distinct from the mainstream counterpart anyway.

Really though even though Morbius is a Spider-Man character whose been spun-off by the same token isn’t the Punisher a Spider-Man spin-off? Neither one isn’t quite as plugged into Spider-Man’s corner of the Marvel universe as say Venom or Scarlet Spider are they (I don’t read Punisher or Morbius I genuinely don’t know )?. Venom and Scarlet Spider have stronger ties to Peter and Spider-Man’s circle of friends and foes and also have similar powers to Spider-Man so they have an even harder job standing out from the main Spider-Man books than Punisher, Morbius or even Black Cat and Toxin would.
But they did it wonderfully because their personalities are distinct from Peter Parker’s (they still manage it with Otto although not as well since all 3 are sort of anti-heroes). It isn’t like the 90s where you had 4 books all about Peter Parker (and Ben Reilly for a time) coming out each month which were not all that different to one another beyond the styles of the artists and writers working on each book, which was actually detrimental when they had crossovers between the titles because it created inconsistencies.
Delta House Member Gimli

Joey Z was F.A.C.A.D.E.

The Spot
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Post by The Spot » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:38 am

I would like previous villains and such to make an appearance beyond their initial creators. There are a few good villains out there which if developed would be good to see and though I like Spideys main rogues gallery it would be nice to see reoccurring past villains.

I would like to see Spideys identity revealed to more of his supporting cast, not love interests but people like JJ etc since to them it would still be Peter not Ock and Ock could do things and when Peter does come back I think some interesting things could be done.

I have a few more but to lazy to type them all out.

Shadow116
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey

Post by Shadow116 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:41 am

My concept for my Spider-Man book:

I would, as many stated, set-up the pre-OMD status quo, but with a twist...

Peter and Mary Jane Parker were both pulled into Mephisto's Realm, while Aunt May awoke from her coma, the gunshot mysteriously healed. Doctors baffled, and yet through Civil War (chaged slightly itself), and other events there was no trace of the Parker's at all.

Peter is awoken by Mephisto at some point, Mephisto finally deciding the amount of mental torture he put the two through, showing various illusions and smoke screens in their minds, that they will be executed, starting with Mary Jane, currently on her way to the 9th Circle, the Frozen Wastes. Pete of course, taking full advantage of Mephisto waking him up, and because you do not threaten Mary Jane around him, manages a last minute escape and traverses all over Mephisto's Realm to get to MJ, and hopefully find a way out, as it seems after all this time with Peter waking up, it seems Dr. Strange can locate him!

This would be my introductory story, legitimately dealing with the Mephisto bird in the room of fandom. Not to mention in my head it becomes this strange compilation of an Orpheus tale blended with Dante's Inferno.

Dr. Strange sort of becoming Virgil to Peter's Dante as we get a look at a take on Mephisto's Realm that is blended with the 9 Circle dynamic of Dante's Hell. For additional fun, the guardians sent by Mephisto to stop Peter's progress, as they will of course meet at the end, are masked in illusion as a Spidey rogues gallery member that matches each circle.

Of course, Peter and MJ escape, most likely due to the intervention of Dr. Strange more fully, or most logically Loki, given the loose threads left there.

Yet, then the twist hits. Peter and Mary Jane have escaped Hell only to find they've been gone for 6 years. Let that sink in, I wanted there to be weight behind this experience for them, and for readers.

Will post more of what I'd do later on especially with the changes that've occured while they were way, as at the moment I'm short on time, but here's hoping I manage to generate some discussion.

NickMB
Avenger
Avenger

Post by NickMB » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:30 pm

Shadow116 wrote:My concept for my Spider-Man book:

I would, as many stated, set-up the pre-OMD status quo, but with a twist...

Peter and Mary Jane Parker were both pulled into Mephisto's Realm, while Aunt May awoke from her coma, the gunshot mysteriously healed. Doctors baffled, and yet through Civil War (chaged slightly itself), and other events there was no trace of the Parker's at all.

Peter is awoken by Mephisto at some point, Mephisto finally deciding the amount of mental torture he put the two through, showing various illusions and smoke screens in their minds, that they will be executed, starting with Mary Jane, currently on her way to the 9th Circle, the Frozen Wastes. Pete of course, taking full advantage of Mephisto waking him up, and because you do not threaten Mary Jane around him, manages a last minute escape and traverses all over Mephisto's Realm to get to MJ, and hopefully find a way out, as it seems after all this time with Peter waking up, it seems Dr. Strange can locate him!

This would be my introductory story, legitimately dealing with the Mephisto bird in the room of fandom. Not to mention in my head it becomes this strange compilation of an Orpheus tale blended with Dante's Inferno.

Dr. Strange sort of becoming Virgil to Peter's Dante as we get a look at a take on Mephisto's Realm that is blended with the 9 Circle dynamic of Dante's Hell. For additional fun, the guardians sent by Mephisto to stop Peter's progress, as they will of course meet at the end, are masked in illusion as a Spidey rogues gallery member that matches each circle.

Of course, Peter and MJ escape, most likely due to the intervention of Dr. Strange more fully, or most logically Loki, given the loose threads left there.

Yet, then the twist hits. Peter and Mary Jane have escaped Hell only to find they've been gone for 6 years. Let that sink in, I wanted there to be weight behind this experience for them, and for readers.

Will post more of what I'd do later on especially with the changes that've occured while they were way, as at the moment I'm short on time, but here's hoping I manage to generate some discussion.
I'm not sure this much mystical stuff suits Spider-Man that well. Even One More Day was too much of it for me, and that was only four issues.

Also, I'm not sure flatly deleting everything from BND onwards is really viable. The solution to Spider-Man's continuity problems is surely a storyline that somehow lets everything "count", meaning Peter and MJ remember both the marriage and everything since.
Read Hobson & Choi - my comedy-mystery webserial - right now.
More available on my blog and Twitter. Form an orderly queue.

Shadow116
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey

Post by Shadow116 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:55 pm

Honestly, again the Parker Inferno aspect would only be a two part or so story, with most of the changes in the six year gap reflecting the current status quo changes of most Marvel work. And I didn't say BND characters would be gone either.

Spider-Padre
Avenger
Avenger

Post by Spider-Padre » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:29 pm

Resolve the Mephisto thing, taking that shadow off the series once and for all. Leave Peter and MJ committed. unmarried, but without locking marriage out either (if being married to Spider-Man eventually led to your soul almost being damned, I would resume that relationship slowly, too).

My personal preference would be for it to turn out not to have been Mephisto, since I don't believe Mephisto has ever had the ability to alter the past. Otherwise in the Mu everyone would be speaking German and America would be Deutschland West Annex. It should have been some cosmic entity.