What was the last comic you read?

Discuss Spidey's comics, or any other comics that you like.

Moderators: PartyHardy, BD, stillanerd, Spideydude

Cheesedique
Avenger
Avenger

Re: What was the last comic you read?

Post by Cheesedique » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:51 am

Spider-Padre wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:14 pm
Would have been a good stopping point for most writers, but instead, there seems to be no end in sight to slott's interminable run on Spider-Man.
I followed the plot-line carefully, and it sounded like there was initial intrigue regarding the red-suited Jackal but then followed not just by a let-down, but strong disapproval. The reveal of Ben as the crazed killer was down-thumbed by his fans. The U.S. military was willing to make a legal contract with a guy wearing an Anubis mask. Ben was never a genius biologist. This Ben wasn't even the real Ben. [
And on that note,

Started the Ben Reilly: Scarlet Spider (2017) series by PAD & Bags. Ben running around in a hoodie with a deformed face, latches on to a slot-playing, feisty elderly lady in Vegas by the name of June (he calls her Aunt June)? My my, this sure is very Deadpool-esque, isn't it? Elsewhere, Kaine threatens to waterboard the woman connected to New U to get info on Ben's location.

Look, this isn't actually a bad series so far, because of PAD's considerable writing skill (he sure pens a snappy, interesting comic). But both Ben & Kaine are written like douchebag psychotics here. Very hard to want to root for either of them. I do like Bags' art, he's only improved even more over the years.

Issues #1-2: B- for both. This is nothing like the Ben Reilly I remember. PAD having to spin this comic off from slott's very flawed and ridiculous take on Reilly certainly does no one any favors.

PP: Spider-Man 156.1 - "Old Haunts": These .1 issue are what passed for Marvel commemorating Spidey's 50th several years ago. This one is written by Stern, and unfortunately set during the Bland New Day era (actually very early in Big Time it seems). Peter agrees to take some photos for a Norah Winters expose of a building in an insurance scam, which turns out to be the Acme Warehouse where he faced Uncle Ben's killer. Peter goes back as Spider-Man and gets caught up in some criminal's plot involving digging into old Roxxon property. A lot here for a single installment, but a very solid issue really. I remember this being the best of those mostly lousy & half-assed .1's. B+

MRstarkiller360
Avenger
Avenger

Post by MRstarkiller360 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:17 pm

Cheesedique wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:51 am
And on that note,

Started the Ben Reilly: Scarlet Spider (2017) series by PAD & Bags. Ben running around in a hoodie with a deformed face, latches on to a slot-playing, feisty elderly lady in Vegas by the name of June (he calls her Aunt June)? My my, this sure is very Deadpool-esque, isn't it? Elsewhere, Kaine threatens to waterboard the woman connected to New U to get info on Ben's location.

Look, this isn't actually a bad series so far, because of PAD's considerable writing skill (he sure pens a snappy, interesting comic). But both Ben & Kaine are written like douchebag psychotics here. Very hard to want to root for either of them. I do like Bags' art, he's only improved even more over the years.

Issues #1-2: B- for both. This is nothing like the Ben Reilly I remember. PAD having to spin this comic off from slott's very flawed and ridiculous take on Reilly certainly does no one any favors.
Wow I strongly disagree with you there.
While I don't think that this series is as bad as ASM or SSM, I still have to say that it is still not very good.

I gave Ben27 every chance in the world for me to like him or even to understand what he is going through however he still comes across as more of a sociopath rather than a man who is strugling with his damaged mind over being either a hero or a villain.
There is also the fact that honestly I still think that the antagonists of the series (Kaine, Mercury and Slate) are far more likeable and relateable than Ben27.

Sure, Kaine is an asshole however he is always been an asshole. But unlike Ben27, he does this because he is trying to stop Reilly from doing anymore damage. And even when he threatens to waterboard a woman, he never goes through with it because, imo, that is not who he is anymore.

With that being said, I don't envy PAD for having to write this series though. He is just yet another writer who has to fix everything that Slott has broken and is stuck with a status quo that he really doesn't seem to like.

I don't like this series and I don't hold any interest in it anymore. And it's a damn shame that PAD is stuck with a Slotted character.

PS : I actually hated issue #7 of this series. I heard a lot of praise for this issue but all I could see in that issue was PAD pulling a straight up Deus Ex Machina out of his ass to fix the character.

Cheesedique
Avenger
Avenger

Post by Cheesedique » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:20 pm

Read all the way up to #9 in the Ben Reilly series last night.

Got to say, the series improved as it went along. The beginning was very shaky. Bags ends his run on art with issue #5 (the length of the first trade no doubt).

Will Sliney takes over on art with #6, and it's very a much a classicly PAD-styled story with gunmen running amok in Vegas (kind of a little too close to recent reality). The deus-ex machina that MrStarKiller referred to is Death itself posing in the body of Marlo Jones (a Hulk character I don't really know, but she's a redhead who Sliney draws looking a hell of a lot like Mary Jane) and who ends up fixing Ben's scarred face and insanity (after killing and bringing Kaine back to life that is).

PAD brings back Hornet & Ricochet from the Slingers for the last two issues. Always kind of dug Peter's ex-alternate personas that were the Slingers, and fitting that they're appearing in a series about his clone. Too soon to tell where the story's going, though.

All in all, this series is better than it has any right to be, mainly because of PAD's writing. Really a case of making lemonade from some bitter, rotten lemons; a testament to PAD's reliable story-craft.
BR:SS - #3-9, B

WolfCypher
Webslinger
Webslinger

Post by WolfCypher » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:28 pm

Venom 157 C+
Very middle-road issue with great art and some good lines, overall this arc has been meh, not bad, not great. Just okay.

Red Hood and the Outlaws 16 C+
I was hoping for a rematch between the Outlaws and the Gotham Knights.

Action Comics 991 D
I did not like this arc. Glad its done.

Detective Comics 968 B-
Ah, the Real Batman book delivered again just fine.
George Berryman wrote:Marvel is the North Korea of comic books.

Cheesedique
Avenger
Avenger

Post by Cheesedique » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:31 pm

The Doomsday Clock #1:

Had no idea this was coming out today, checked it out. Not a bad start, really. If they had to put out a comic with the DC Superheroes meeting the Watchmen characters, it could've been far worse. It's like the Rebirth version of Before Watchmen--already DC is showing they learned from their mistakes made on the Watchmen prequel comics from 2010.

Some of Gary Frank's artwork is quite astonishing--dude is a master of rendering facial expressions. Man, is he the perfect artist for this.

Johns' script mines the Moore/Gibbons vibe of the original for all it's worth and then some (nine-panel grid pages abound). Wonder if Alan Moore will secretly read this?

Loved the political commentary / references / jabs here (like the news report stating that they're waiting for the President's comment from the golf course).

Is the state of the world in this issue because of the actions of superheroes, are due to the lack of having them around?

Dedicated to Len Wein. Great touch, DC. Bravo.

I also have a crazy theory:
► Show Spoiler

Alistair
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Post by Alistair » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:51 am

Greg Weisman's Starbrand and Nightmask. The artwork was pretty rough imo, but I was sold on Kevin and Adam as protagonists, and it could have been a "grounded" Marvel Cosmic book. Shame this got cancelled, and that
Kevin got ganked in the Marvel Legacy one shot because dammit Robbie has the Penance Stare now. Seriously, was it explained HOW Robbie got that power?
BOOM! Lamborghini drives out...

Symbiobro
Webslinger
Webslinger

Post by Symbiobro » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:08 am

First time tryin out the new board.

Just read Darkhawk #51

Holy crap this was good.
It's nice to have writers and editors that actually care about continuity, and it was awesome to see Chris, despite not being able to access his powers, still try to help people the best he can by becoming a police officer.

I highly recommend if you're interested in Darkhawk at all, and I really hope this leads somewhere!