What was the last comic you read?

Discuss Spidey's comics, or any other comics that you like.

Moderators: PartyHardy, BD, stillanerd, Spideydude

Cheesedique
Avenger
Avenger

Re: What was the last comic you read?

Post by Cheesedique » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:54 pm

Spec #189 - “The Osborn Legacy”

DeMatteis bringing Harry back to madness as the Green Goblin was like a classic three-act structure: first was The Child Within, when Harry snapped again after being haunted by Norman. This installment could be considered the middle part (#200 is the conclusion). Harry abducts Liz, Mark Raxton and little Normie, and forces them to take part in a dinner in the old suburban Osborn home. Peter tracks them out there as Spidey, and they fight. Harry is taken away again at the end, and in what almost seems like a nod to Conway’s ASM #137, Harry tells the police taking him away that he knows who’s under Spider-Man’s mask, but that he won’t tell, yet.

While not a lot happens this issue, it’s very effective with a creeping sense of dread throughout. From page one the tension here is thick. No one in the comic really knows what Harry is capable of, including the reader, and that’s what makes this one suspenseful as hell. Buscema turns in some damn fine art, particularly at the Goblin dinner scene. The quality is high--it's no doubt one of the best Spider-Man issues ever, and the creative team just about pulled out all the stops here. I say just about, because this is still only act II.

This one is as good as I remember it being when I bought it off the spinner rack: 10/10.

Cheesedique
Avenger
Avenger

Post by Cheesedique » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:04 pm

Masked Guy wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:48 pm
One of my favorite Spider-Man stories of all time and easily the greatest Vulture tale ever told. We certainly don't get comics like these anymore. J.M. DeMatteis is truly one of the best writers to ever work on the character.
Right you are, I just forgot how damn good some of these JMD Spider-Man issues are. So glad I got to shake his hand and tell him he's one of my favorite writers.

Masked Guy
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey

Post by Masked Guy » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:38 pm

Cheesedique wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:54 pm
Spec #189 - “The Osborn Legacy”

DeMatteis bringing Harry back to madness as the Green Goblin was like a classic three-act structure: first was The Child Within, when Harry snapped again after being haunted by Norman. This installment could be considered the middle part (#200 is the conclusion). Harry abducts Liz, Mark Raxton and little Normie, and forces them to take part in a dinner in the old suburban Osborn home. Peter tracks them out there as Spidey, and they fight. Harry is taken away again at the end, and in what almost seems like a nod to Conway’s ASM #137, Harry tells the police taking him away that he knows who’s under Spider-Man’s mask, but that he won’t tell, yet.

While not a lot happens this issue, it’s very effective with a creeping sense of dread throughout. From page one the tension here is thick. No one in the comic really knows what Harry is capable of, including the reader, and that’s what makes this one suspenseful as hell. Buscema turns in some damn fine art, particularly at the Goblin dinner scene. The quality is high--it's no doubt one of the best Spider-Man issues ever, and the creative team just about pulled out all the stops here. I say just about, because this is still only act II.

This one is as good as I remember it being when I bought it off the spinner rack: 10/10.
The entire Harry Osborn Saga is easily one of the best and most compelling Spider-Man stories ever written. Some people tend to overlook DeMatteis's excellent work on Spectacular in favor of the admittedly fantastic Kraven's Last Hunt, which is a shame because when DeMatteis is on his A-game, he is easily one of the best writers to have ever worked on the character.

Cheesedique wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:04 pm
Masked Guy wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:48 pm
One of my favorite Spider-Man stories of all time and easily the greatest Vulture tale ever told. We certainly don't get comics like these anymore. J.M. DeMatteis is truly one of the best writers to ever work on the character.
Right you are, I just forgot how damn good some of these JMD Spider-Man issues are. So glad I got to shake his hand and tell him he's one of my favorite writers.
It's really cool that you got to meet him.

Cheesedique
Avenger
Avenger

Post by Cheesedique » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:20 am

Masked Guy wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:38 pm

The entire Harry Osborn Saga is easily one of the best and most compelling Spider-Man stories ever written. Some people tend to overlook DeMatteis's excellent work on Spectacular in favor of the admittedly fantastic Kraven's Last Hunt, which is a shame because when DeMatteis is on his A-game, he is easily one of the best writers to have ever worked on the character.
I would really love for JMD to come for another stint on Spider-Man.

If anyone could actually find something to do with Kraven now that he's back, it's probably JMD.

Masked Guy
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey

Post by Masked Guy » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:39 pm

Cheesedique wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:20 am
Masked Guy wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:38 pm

I would really love for JMD to come for another stint on Spider-Man.

If anyone could actually find something to do with Kraven now that he's back, it's probably JMD.
While I really liked Grim Hunt (Amazing vol. 1 #634-637) as a story, Kraven's resurrection really did end up being a complete waste of time since nobody seems sure of what to do with him.

Cheesedique
Avenger
Avenger

Post by Cheesedique » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:54 pm

Masked Guy wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:39 pm

While I really liked Grim Hunt (Amazing vol. 1 #634-637) as a story, Kraven's resurrection really did end up being a complete waste of time since nobody seems sure of what to do with him.
They really never should have brought Kraven back.

Of the 3 iconic stories by JMD, where he killed a major character, the characters have all been brought back (Doc Ock as well, but I don't consider Web Of Death very iconic).

Kraven has proven to be a pointless resurrection.

Harry, mostly pointless as well.

Only one that has had worthwhile stories since being brought back is Aunt May under JMS.

Cheesedique
Avenger
Avenger

Post by Cheesedique » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:47 pm

PP:SSM #1 (2017)

Just started reading ZDarsky’s Spec. One of the fatal errors I see here already: everyone’s a wise-cracking jackass. Everyone’s a tech genius, except Peter, who can’t seem to even fix his own damn web-shooters.

Kuberts art, while quite awesome in the wide angle scenes, looks really rough any time the characters are full in the frame. I particularly hate the way he draws the webbing on the red & blue Spider-Man costume here.

Is ZDarsky his own editor? His little unfunny editorial boxes started to grate on me immediately.

Everyone uses Stark-tech cell phones on Starknet networks. I thought Peter had corned the market in Apple-ripoff shit with Parker Industries?

I actually didn’t mind the backup story with Black Widow. I also think ZDarsky writes a better comic than slott. - Spec #1: (changing to letter grades from here on out): C-

PP:SSM #2 (2017)

Let’s see—rather pointless Ironheart / Riri cameo? Check. Peter acting like an irritating 8-year old? Check. Awkward, mostly unfunny dialogue during the Rebecca London / Spidey date? Check (and the patron berating Spider-Man for bringing in outside food was very Seinfeld-ian).

I thought following up on Waid’s Family Business OGN by bringing in Teresa Parker might be a good idea, but it’s wearing thin already this issue. Really don’t care whatever the heck Project Twilight is going to amount to.

I don’t actually mind Rebecca too much as character—not a bad idea having Peter try to date someone who is also funny, and for once, it’s a love interest that’s a POC. But this was a mostly dumb issue. Kubert’s art is really inconsistent, but I mostly enjoy what he’s bringing to the table. D

PP:SSM #3 (2017)

Not that I mind, mind you, but this series seems to be pointedly ignoring sloth’s asinine ASM and the hot trash that is Parker Industries. Peter has to take his sister to Tinker’s brother in order to outfit her as a superhero—doesn’t he have spare tech crap lying around PI she could use? So she ends up in a discount Falcon outfit with weapons that look like the gun that came with the original Nintendo used for Duck Hunt.

Hologram Kingpin could really get the drop on spider-sense even once, so he could land a punch on Spider-Man?

I know people love Peter / Johnny team ups, but Torch just seems like dead weight to me in this issue. He really didn't need to tag along with Peter & Teresa.

Kubert’s art seemed to improve here a bit. C

Masked Guy
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey

Post by Masked Guy » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:33 pm

Cheesedique wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:47 pm

Just started reading ZDarsky’s Spec. One of the fatal errors I see here already: everyone’s a wise-cracking jackass. Everyone’s a tech genius, except Peter, who can’t seem to even fix his own damn web-shooters.

Kuberts art, while quite awesome in the wide angle scenes, looks really rough any time the characters are full in the frame. I particularly hate the way he draws the webbing on the red & blue Spider-Man costume here.

Is ZDarsky his own editor? His little unfunny editorial boxes started to grate on me immediately.

Everyone uses Stark-tech cell phones on Starknet networks. I thought Peter had corned the market in Apple-ripoff shit with Parker Industries?

I actually didn’t mind the backup story with Black Widow. I also think ZDarsky writes a better comic than slott. - Spec #1: (changing to letter grades from here on out): C-

Let’s see—rather pointless Ironheart / Riri cameo? Check. Peter acting like an irritating 8-year old? Check. Awkward, mostly unfunny dialogue during the Rebecca London / Spidey date? Check (and the patron berating Spider-Man for bringing in outside food was very Seinfeld-ian).

I thought following up on Waid’s Family Business OGN by bringing in Teresa Parker might be a good idea, but it’s wearing thin already this issue. Really don’t care whatever the heck Project Twilight is going to amount to.

I don’t actually mind Rebecca too much as character—not a bad idea having Peter try to date someone who is also funny, and for once, it’s a love interest that’s a POC. But this was a mostly dumb issue. Kubert’s art is really inconsistent, but I mostly enjoy what he’s bringing to the table. D

Not that I mind, mind you, but this series seems to be pointedly ignoring sloth’s asinine ASM and the hot trash that is Parker Industries. Peter has to take his sister to Tinker’s brother in order to outfit her as a superhero—doesn’t he have spare tech crap lying around PI she could use? So she ends up in a discount Falcon outfit with weapons that look like the gun that came with the original Nintendo used for Duck Hunt.

Hologram Kingpin could really get the drop on spider-sense even once, so he could land a punch on Spider-Man?

I know people love Peter / Johnny team ups, but Torch just seems like dead weight to me in this issue. He really didn't need to tag along with Peter & Teresa.

Trust me, the following issues don't get any better.

Cheesedique
Avenger
Avenger

Post by Cheesedique » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:08 am

ASM #790:

Recap page: “when a villain threatened to twist everything he had built..”, no slott, Peter didn’t build anything, you had his company handed to him and manipulated into a success on a silver platter by Saint Otto. Otherwise, is this an underwhelming recap page—makes me want to stop reading right there.

I don’t like Johnny’s uniform, also seen over in Spec.

Wow, slott’s really going to recycle the plot of Vol 4 #3 with Johnny and Peter fighting over the former Baxter building again, huh? Am I reading a reprint here?

I very much got a Spidey Homecoming vibe from Clash & his cronies breaking into PI to steal back Clash’s tech.

On one page, Clash calls himself a “super villain”. Just couple pages later, he’s saying he’s "not a bad guy". Which is it? Guess Spidey is confused too, since he just lets Clash waltz away, since he can’t ever stop or detain anybody at the end of these stories it seems.

I really, really don’t give a rat’s ass about Clash. What a dumb slott creation.

Pretty blah issue overall, but Gage’s writing makes it a little better. Is Gage really needed to pad out filler issues like this? Immonen’s art is great, but I have to agree that he’s pretty much wasting his talent on this repetitive tripe, as is Alex Ross in painting the covers. When’s the new writer coming aboard?

D for Don't waste your time with this issue.

Spideydude
Administrator
Administrator
Location: Texas Panhandle Chapter of the Crawl Space Command Center

Post by Spideydude » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:18 am

Re: Ben Reilly 8

God this turned out so good.
This Post was Brought to you by... Spideydude! Your Friendly Neighborhood Administrator!
Check out My Exclusive Online SeriesCrawl Space Avengers!
CSA Member Since 2003 Delta House Member: Cyclone

JR Fettingers Marvel:I'd hire Spideydude to be me at conventions, with his cowboy hat, a cigar sticking out of his mouth, and a beer in his hand because he would certainly look a lot "cooler" and "more relatable" to the fanbase that a short, gray haired middle aged man.

Cheesedique
Avenger
Avenger

Post by Cheesedique » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:06 pm

Venom #150:

The oversize centennial issue. I haven't been following the solo title much at all before this, but I'm glad to see Brock back in the goopy costume (I never was a fan of Flash as Venom, though Remender wrote it very well early on).

Got to say, I was astounded by Tradd Moore's art in this issue, holy shit. Awesome stuff! Why is it so cool to see Venom fight the Scorpion (one of my other favorite villains)? Good to have my dude Eddie back, he brings far more gravitas to the symbiote IMO. Flash Thompson really should be a supporting character in Spider-Man.

The second story by Thompson and Sandoval wasn't as good--it explains how Flash lost the symbiote I presume?

Finally, Michelinie & Ron Lim come back to do a tale set in the past with Brock Venom, that's more forgettable than anything.

Loved the A story here, and I give that an 'A'.

MRstarkiller360
Avenger
Avenger

Post by MRstarkiller360 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:28 pm

Cheesedique wrote:

As far as I can remember I belive that I gave this issue an F just because of the fact that Dan Slott honestly came across as more respectfull to Spider-Man than Chip.
Why ?
Because at the very least Slott waits until the end of the issue for Peter to get rescued. All that Chip does is laught and scold Peter for not being a good super hero because of an X thing that Chip created.
That issue honestly made me angry.
Cheesedique wrote:

I gave this issue an F as well because Peter literally bailed on his supposed sister that is being hunted by the govermant and by SHIELD to go on a date with a woman that he never meat before.
Also dressed as Spider-Man because of how idiotic this issue is.
Cheesedique wrote:

I think that this issue was not all that bad. So much so that I think I gave a C-. However this feels so pointless to me.
Why should I be invested in the story or even the fight itself if even the heroes don't know why they are doing this ? Because it's iligal ? Even Peter doesn't know that.
And that's the thing : The most interesting story is left behind for the sake of team up stories for a telephone. Even if the stories eventually collide I honestly doubt it will be the least satisfing!
But hery at the very least, Peter is the one who beats The Kingpin and is not saved by Johnny and/or Teresa!

Cheesedique
Avenger
Avenger

Post by Cheesedique » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:22 pm

Been reading tons of stuff and jumping all over the place.

Venom #155: Legacy Issue

I skipped to #155, cause I couldn’t wait to see Bagley’s rendition of Venom again.

First of all, I love the cover, except Scorpio (or whoever the jackass with the glowing key is) shouldn’t be there, eff Scorpio from the shite slott ASM V4 run.

Is Lee Price’s comment on “weekend skinheads” and the street thug’s mentioning of “Li’l Marco” meant to be topical references?

Dinosaur people living under the city—this is a pretty whacked out comic.

Eddie getting a job at the Fact Channel felt too easy.

I do kind of like Costa’s writing. Bagley’s art is like crack for me, and hits all the sweet spots.

I give this issue a B. Not bad overall.

Venom #156:

Well, at least Kraven is being given some purpose here. He’s hunting the dino-people in the sewers, which gets Brock’s attention. Man, Kraven f’s Venom up here. Not much else to discuss, as this issue is driven primarily by Bagley’s fantastic artwork. Bags looks like he’s enjoying penciling this book.

Pretty good stuff, B.

Spec Spidey Vol. 3 #6:

Wanted to see what the fuss was about, with Peter’s dinner with JJJ. This issue is a marked improvement over the first three ZDarsky Spec issues I read. I don’t buy Peter unmasking to Jonah. I don’t buy Jonah’s reaction. Like someone else said, this was a bit like a faint echo of the FNSM issue by PAD during
Back In Black. Issue was ok, I’ll give it a B.

ASM Vol 4 #16,17 & 19.

Jonah talking about losing his father in SSM #6 made me want to go back and read some of the Clonespiracy issues that I missed.

Cammo’s art in #16 is stunning. I’m still not sold on Peter as CEO of the magic tech company at all. slott’s “Spider-Man lifting something heavy” moment ("my responsib---ARRGHGGGGHGH") was forced and hacky. C

#17—I thought the Francine Fry stuff was set up not too bad. But her character is all over the board this issue. She goes from wanting to be around super-villains, to questioning that, to rejecting Max after he loses his power, to full-blown villain herself.
Hobie & Peter’s banter was annoying. Hobie also goes down like a chump here. Making Hobie a New U clone set his new solo title up for failure. I like RB Silva’s art here for the most part. C-

#19—Death of Jay Sr. issue. How is it that ZDarsky can pull off a more nuanced take on JJJ in Spec than slott? You had JJJ yelling at Peter over treatment for his father in both #16 and now this issue. I actually didn’t mind Jay Sr. that much, but I’m not too sad to see him die of a
type of “soap opera illness” here that’s unnamed. Some pretty annoying contrivances this issue on the part of slott. C

Clonespiracy #1 - 2:

Boy, slott’s lampshading is in full effect here. Having BenJackal comment on Gwen Stacy’s “bridging” was a cringe-worthy moment. The writer is unable to make these characters not talk like they’re in a comic book.

It will also never not be awkward to have Peter saying to his employee’s spouse “I’m the CEO of a major company, and I know Spider-Man. I can help.”

I know introducing the zombie clone in the alternate universe stuff is a way to raise this story’s stakes, but it feels really tacked on here. There was enough going on in this tale without alt-u zombies.

I think there’s some interesting ideas here, but as usual, I can’t stand the writing overall. All the bad writing habits of slott are on display here.

Chueng’s art however? Freaking outstanding stuff. #1: C-, #2: B-

Cheesedique
Avenger
Avenger

Post by Cheesedique » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:55 pm

ASM #22: BenJackal explains to Peter all how about how Miles Warren tested on him by basically killing Ben over and over some 27 times. So who was the Jackal during Spider-Island & Sibling Rivalry? Are we to believe that was Reilly? I noticed they side-step on committing to that premise in all the panel recapping. C

Clonespiracy #4: The story takes a fairly ridiculous turn here, with the introduction of the perfect clone town, "Haven", somewhere within BenJackal's headquarters (where all the resurrected baddies just hang out in full costume; as usual, they seem less like actual characters and more just robotic panel fodder). Ben flips from maintaining he's "the good guy" to ordering his minions to kill Peter. Cringeworthy line: Anna Marconi telling Otto "ooo I find you repulsive but your mind for science is amazing". Because a Doc Ock story by slott wouldn't be complete without a character on panel telling his author-insert how great he really is.

Oh dear, this is starting to suck. D

Clonespiracy #5: As is often the case, slott seems to lose interest or gets in a rush to finish his big storylines by the end, and ends up tripping all over himself. This ends up like so many of the other big slott arcs, where people are being turned into creatures and the Horizon Labs / Anna Marconi calvary brigade has to step in and save everyone in the world / city. It's all getting very repetitive by now.

Cringeworthy line: Peter telling Otto he's been in his head, and that "you're not ALL bad". Yes he is, Peter, yes he is. He's a self-serving, scumbag psycho. Even Chueng looks in a hurry to wrap this story up. F

ASM #24: Ben survives, goes to an old hideout house decked out to look like the old Forest Hills house, where the real Miles Warren / Jackal awaits him. They fight, the place burns to the ground. Ben punches the first responders out of his way when they try to detain him (get it, he's crazy and edgy now). Another in a long string of ASM issues devoted to a character that's not Peter. C-

Clonespiracy Omega #1: The wrap up issue. Consists of Spidey trying to calm down the Rhino after the villain loses his clone g/f Oksana again.

Preview of Scarlet BenJackal by PAD / Bagley. Man, PAD really deserves better than writing slott's table scraps. This teaser was ridiculous, particularly where he goes to kiss the woman he saves here who was involved with New U ("I've been waiting a long time to do that" WTF?). Doesn't bode well for the Scarlet Ben series. I may give it a read anyhow.

Issue ends with Kingpin giving Spidey info on Norman Osborn after Spidey trashes Kingpin's club & henchthugs.

This would've been a great place to end slott's run. Clonespiracy paid off a lot of crazy-long running plot points (Otto putting his consciousness on sleep mode after Spider-Verse, Otto getting rejected by Anna Marconi etc etc). Would have been a good stopping point for most writers, but instead, there seems to be no end in sight to slott's interminable run on Spider-Man. Marvel really does seem to intend to let him write the comic for the rest of his life. God help us, this Clone story was crap. D

Spider-Padre
Avenger
Avenger

Post by Spider-Padre » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:14 pm

Would have been a good stopping point for most writers, but instead, there seems to be no end in sight to slott's interminable run on Spider-Man.
I followed the plot-line carefully, and it sounded like there was initial intrigue regarding the red-suited Jackal but then followed not just by a let-down, but strong disapproval. The reveal of Ben as the crazed killer was down-thumbed by his fans. The U.S. military was willing to make a legal contract with a guy wearing an Anubis mask. Ben was never a genius biologist. This Ben wasn't even the real Ben.
Gwen and her father die all over again.
A lot of it seemed like a convoluted way to get Otto back into a Superior Spider-Man body.