Batgirl to Oracle: The Barbara Gordon Podcast

Discuss Spidey's comics, or any other comics that you like.

Moderators: PartyHardy, BD, stillanerd, Spideydude

Re: Batgirl to Oracle: The Barbara Gordon Podcast

Postby noctis7493 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:37 am

Hey BtO troopers! Noctis here (running a 100+ *F fever, operating on nearly drained batteries and prescription Tylenol, breaking my doctor's orders by hopping on the ol' PC, and needing to use sunglasses just so that I can keep my eyes open long enough to see what I'm typing) bringing you some interesting Cassandra Cain news.

Earlier today Newsarama released an interview they did with Fabian Nicieza, current writer of Red Robin, on RED ROBIN's place in BATMAN, INC. Interestingly enough, Newsarama opens their interview with questions regarding Cassandra's return and what the future holds for the much-neglected former Batgirl.
Newsarama: Fabian, I know you didn't want to make too much of a big deal out of Cassandra's appearance in Red Robin, but her fans have been hailing her return in Red Robin #17. Can you describe why you felt she fit with what's happening in the book now and with the world of Batman?

Fabian Nicieza: I just felt the time was right to give Cass a chance to reclaim her status as a strong character. The loss of Bruce Wayne and his subsequent return seemed like the right time to address her "absence" and knowing Tim was expanding into more coordinated international operations, Red Robin seemed like the right book to give her some face time.

She works very well as a wandering warrior looking to help people in trouble and that fits in with the Batman, Inc. -- and the Red Robin -- approach to expanding the use of operatives all over the world.

Nrama: For those who may be looking at this article without having read the story, how would you describe her current status, and what was the character was feeling during her time with Tim?

Nicieza: I'd say right now, all we know is that Cass is in Hong Kong and she is clearly patrolling at night and helping innocent people from getting harmed. Other than that, it's all up for interpretation depending on who uses her next or who uses her the most.

Nrama: Who came up with her costume? Do you think that costume will stick, or is it a temporary thing?

Nicieza: It's just a look we wanted to give her to show she's still operating undercover, but not using the bat-motif. Marcus designed it and did a great job as he does with everything. I might have suggested the half-mask to connote her "mute days" when she first appeared.

As for whether it's permanent or not, that's up to the editors and other artists. I purposely had Tim leave her a set of her old Batgirl togs so maybe when she appears again, some elements of that original costume and the bat-emblem might be incorporated into her new look, we'll see.

Nrama: Gail Simone has mentioned the possibility of a Cass appearing within the pages of Birds of Prey. Will she be returning to Red Robin? If so, can you say when or give any indication where it will fit into what's coming in Red Robin?

Nicieza: I know Gail has mentioned that, but I don't know if there are specific issue plans. If it does happen in Birds of Prey, I'm sure it'll be a great opportunity for the character. If I were a character, I'd want Gail to write me!

I do know Cass will be returning to the Red Robin book to guest-star in a couple issues in the spring as part of a larger storyline between #22-25, but in no way am I claiming "propriety" over the character.

You can read the rest of the article here: http://www.newsarama.com/comics/nicieza-red-robin-cassandra-cain-101207.html

Fight on Cass lovers! Fight on!
noctis7493
Webslinger
Webslinger

Postby Donomark » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:30 pm

Donomark
Avenger
Avenger

Postby DarkKnightJared » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:39 pm

Okay, over on deviantART this guy, Evan Bryce, does this thing called Batgirl of the Day--basically he draws Batgirl doing something different every day. You can see here. Today, though, he did something a touch...different.

Yes, that is Oracle having a wheelchair race with Professor X. You're welcome.
DarkKnightJared
Avenger
Avenger

Postby Spider-Girl » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:20 pm

AHHHH, why is Prof. X winning?! Haha, thanks, DKJ, for letting us know about this artist!

In other news, BtO Episode 15: Anniversary Show is out now!

http://batgirltooracle.blogspot.com/2010/12/episode-15-anniversary-show.html

'Could I please have a bathroom token?' -- Bertone

Please sign my petition to get Batgirl: Year One back into production! http://www.gopetition.com/online/36228.html

Spider-Girl
Avenger
Avenger

Postby DarkKnightJared » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:13 pm

On the idea of "theme songs": Since you and one of your callers thought up songs for Babs and Steph, what about for Cass?

And speaking of her, I think they can really easily put her back in the fold of the Bat-Family very easily using the Batman Incorporated idea that you and your caller kinda scoffed at--she can become the Batman operative of Hong Kong, and of China in general.

And since you mentioned Lee Garbett, did you get a chance to read Return of Bruce Wayne #6? He did the pencils for that one, and it was probably some of the best work I've seen him do, and he really got a chance to stretch out and do some amazing stuff.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Nguyen's last name is pronounced like "new-win."

As for Cass not being included in the first sequence--I looked at it as less of a full-fledged history of the family and more of, "Who's in Gotham right now" type of deal, and this is probably a bit before Incorporated starts up, and EVERYONE is connected and it becomes a more global affair.

Yeah, BOP #6 was my favorite issue out of the run so far--Huntress was just, as wise philosopher Samuel L. Jackson once said, a mushroom-cloud-laying motherfucker in this issue. Homegirl knocked down Lady Shiva by THROWING HER OWN BLOOD INTO THE GIRL'S FACE. That's some hardcore stuff right there.

Great episode, m'dear, and Happy B-Day to the podcast. :D
DarkKnightJared
Avenger
Avenger

Postby Ladyspider » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:23 pm

“I need to know, Babs. It’s your play. It’s your call. But I want to hear, in your words, what you want us to do.”

This is like the romance novel AU where Dinah is trying to convince emotionally stunted Babs to accept that their love is true and epic and meant to be. (Context has left the building.)

OTP, forever and always

BABS (in the next panel): I know what I want, Dinah, its just—it’s hard for me to say it. This changes everything.
DINAH: It changes nothing, Babs! We feel the same way that we always have. Or at least I do. I need to hear it from you.
BABS (looking down): I love you, Dinah. (looking up into her eyes now) You’re right, I’ve always loved you.
(In the next panel, the long-awaited makeout session commences)

Well, that’s totally how it went in MY head. :)

What? Gay subtext in a Gail Simone comic?

RIDICULOUS!

Ladyspider
Avenger
Avenger

Postby DarkKnightJared » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:17 pm

Heh--for a second I almost confused you with Stella's "Spidergirl" handle and thought that she'd been brainwashed by some Babs/Dinah slash-addicts. :P

And yeah, subtext is kind-of Gail's bread and butter.
DarkKnightJared
Avenger
Avenger

Postby Spider-Girl » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:34 am

...oh dear! :shock:
'Could I please have a bathroom token?' -- Bertone

Please sign my petition to get Batgirl: Year One back into production! http://www.gopetition.com/online/36228.html

Spider-Girl
Avenger
Avenger

Postby DarkKnightJared » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:13 am

Spider-Girl wrote:...oh dear! :shock:

I think you broke her, Lady. :shock:
DarkKnightJared
Avenger
Avenger

Postby noctis7493 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:33 pm

In Batgirl #15, Steph asked Babs, "Be honest, O--is this why everyone hated Spoiler?" Funny as it is, long time readers would agree that Steph indeed wasn't too popular amongst the Bat-family (with the exception being her then-beau Tim and her best friend--not sure if I should add "former" since her new bestie is Kara Zor-El! :roll: --Cassandra Cain). So once in a while, I'll post several not-so-shining moments of Steph with the Bat-gang.

Please bear in mind that I DO NOT AT ALL intend to mock Steph's character. Rather, it is my wish to show how true her question to Oracle was and how far she has matured since her Spoiler days.

Let's begin with Alfred. This comes from Robin #88.
noctis7493
Webslinger
Webslinger

Postby noctis7493 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:38 am

I know everyone here is pretty tired if my tirades about the unfair treatment of my favorite DC character, Cassandra Cain, but please bear with my madness. But I digress. I was (and still am, actually) pondering about my last post where I said that I'm unsure whether Steph can still say that Cass is her best friend. In my honest opinion, it should be undeniable that Cassandra Cain and Stephanie Brown had one of, if not the very best friendship in all of DC. Theirs was special. It had an embracing warmth that I couldn't find in other DC or Marvel titles. Their friendship has even transcended the physical level and entered each other's subconscious and unconscious mind (appearing as mental apparitions). Out of everyone in the Batfamily, Steph was the ONLY one that Cass really opened up to. If Batman served as her father-figure and Babs as her mother-figure, then Stephanie Brown was the closest thing that Cassandra had for a sister. Her soul sister. And vice-versa. Whenever Steph needed help, Cass was always, ALWAYS there for her.

When Steph needed training, Cass was there. Even when Batman forbade Cass to train Steph, when Steph showed up at her door, she ignored Batman's orders and continued training her. When Steph needed someone to talk to (even when she didn't to), Cass was there. When Steph was given the Robin mantle, she celebrated by teaming up and fighting crime with Cass. When Batman fired Steph from the Robin mantle, Cass was there for her.

Cass truly cherished her friendship with Steph. When Steph went missing, Cass would NEVER stop asking Oracle if she knew where she was. When Cass found out that her only real friend was "dead" (staged death, but Cass didn't know), she was devastated. At Steph's funeral, Cass cried and said that she couldn't even remember the last time she cried. Steph's "death" affected Cass more than anyone else (even more so than Tim). When Tim visited Cass in Hong Kong and offered her her old Batgirl costume, the first thing that she said was that Steph had and needed the Batgirl mantle. Direct orders from Batman and even her beloved mantle didn't matter. Cassandra ALWAYS put Stephanie first.

Among the things he's said about Cass, BQM already said that she doesn't fit anywhere in his book for this year. So I can only keep my fingers crossed and make a wish whenever I see an airplane in the sky at night in hopes of one day seeing Cass and Steph back together again.

@Stella: I'm sorry for making yet another long post here. My thoughts kind of spilled onto my keyboard.

I'll end my rant with a fan-made music video I found that faithfully encompasses what I think, how I feel, and how much I truly miss seeing my favorite character friendship in all of comics.
noctis7493
Webslinger
Webslinger

Postby DarkKnightJared » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:16 pm

I don't think Cass moving away makes her not be Stephanie's friend anymore. Hell, two of my best friends both live in Utah now, but I wouldn't consider them any less of friends--especially now when I can communicate with them on Facebook whenever I want.
DarkKnightJared
Avenger
Avenger

Postby noctis7493 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:41 pm

DarkKnightJared wrote:I don't think Cass moving away makes her not be Stephanie's friend anymore. Hell, two of my best friends both live in Utah now, but I wouldn't consider them any less of friends--especially now when I can communicate with them on Facebook whenever I want.

They might still be friends; however, their complete lack in communication during the entirety of Steph's year 1 run as Batgirl is disappointing. Personally, I find it hard to say that I'm still best friends, or just friends for that matter, with someone when I haven't talked to him/her in over a year.

Moreover, I doubt we'll be seeing them talking to each other in year 2 since BQM has stated that Cass won't be in year 2. So that just leaves us with year 3 and so on (kinda sad that fan will have to wait for more than 2 years to see a Steph/Cass interaction when Steph was given reoccurring airtime in Cass' book, BG V1, and has even been the main star in one entire issue (After Cass defeated Shiva, she was KTFO. Steph went after Shiva's minions when she found out that they were searching for Cass. Can we say "Vengeance for wanting to hurt my already injured [BEST]friend"? I think that's true friendship right there!)

[smilie=spidey_shrug.gif] I've voiced my concern to BQM via Twitter and he replied that it's noted. I guess we'll see. :|
noctis7493
Webslinger
Webslinger

Postby Ladyspider » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:44 pm

I got to cut in here and do a little "Stephanie Begins" bit here going over the beginning of Stephanie's career.

Steph's first appearance and outside of costume. Man she has been wearing purple forever. :D

Who is that's masked person.

What happened to Steph's mom? I don't remember her being quite so... well sickly. It turns out that no artist could get a handle on her appearance seeing as it changed with everyone.

I guess what they say about practice makes perfect is true.

Steph's dad then proceeds to blow himself up, while Tim attacks the mysterious figure.
This is how all great romances start. WITH A BRICK TO THE FACE!
Tim then goes to track down Stephanie with a little detective work.

It's weird to think of a time when Batman wasn't being a bastard to Stephanie.

Like all great superheroes she doesn't stick to the plan a saves Batman from her father.

You mean everyone though that she was a guy because she wasn't wearing an outrageously skimpy outfit.

And so the day is saved thanks to THE SPOILER!
Delta Tau Chi member - Widow-Maker

Ladyspider
Avenger
Avenger

Postby Donomark » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:41 am

If you're gonna continue this Bertone-esque behavior with the scans Ladyspider, can't wait til you get up to her Robin appearances. ;)
Donomark
Avenger
Avenger