Batgirl to Oracle: The Barbara Gordon Podcast

Discuss Spidey's comics, or any other comics that you like.

Moderators: PartyHardy, stillanerd, Spideydude, BD

Re: Batgirl to Oracle: The Barbara Gordon Podcast

Postby BertoneBeatle » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:24 pm

Spider-Girl wrote: terrible motion comic.

Pretty much.
BertoneBeatle
Avenger
Avenger

Postby spidertour02 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:08 pm

Just finished listening ...

That was really enjoyable! I'm not a Batgirl fan (or a DC fan, for that matter), but I was genuinely entertained. Single-host podcasts can get a little dicey, but this one held my interest all the way through. Plus, it helps that you have a unique perspective -- how many ladies do you find hosting comic book podcasts?

By the way, thanks for the shout-out at the beginning, even if it is only tangentially related to your podcast. :D
spidertour02

Postby Kevin Cushing » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:09 pm

Spider-Girl wrote:Thanks! And remember your promise! :wink:

Well of course, love.

Uh BUH? Haha, wow...I wonder what that's like. I may have to check this out...though I'd rather not have my image of the comic ruined by a terrible motion comic.

That is probably best. The Spider-Woman motion comic is one of the reasons I never looked back when I dropped the print comic. BUH indeed.
Join my page on Facebook to keep up to date with all writing projects, podcasts, and everything else I'm involved in!

"The ground quakes and the heavens cry tears of blood when Kevin gives out his brand of Crawlspace justice. Babies cry, grown men avert their eyes, women pass out and even the wind gives pause. Kevin’s eyes glow and lightning crackles around them. It’s pretty epic and definitely not for the timid." - Michael Bailey
Kevin Cushing
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Postby Tabularasa » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:22 pm

Kevin Cushing wrote:
That is probably best. The Spider-Woman motion comic is one of the reasons I never looked back when I dropped the print comic. BUH indeed.

Aw, you dropped Spider-Woman? It's a great book IMO. Just pretend the motion comic never happened.
Zeta Member MAUL

Tabularasa
Avenger
Avenger

Postby Spider-Girl » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:18 am

Tabularasa wrote:
Kevin Cushing wrote:

Aw, you dropped Spider-Woman? It's a great book IMO. Just pretend the motion comic never happened.

I know! I'm shock-ed...shock-ed, I say!
'Could I please have a bathroom token?' -- Bertone

Please sign my petition to get Batgirl: Year One back into production! http://www.gopetition.com/online/36228.html

Spider-Girl
Avenger
Avenger

Postby Donomark » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:58 pm

In searching for the podcast on iTunes, I also ran into the Batgirl: Year One motion comic and it is God-Awful.
Donomark
Avenger
Avenger

Postby FSUSpiderFan » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:14 pm

Nice first podcast! Very well thought out. It seemed short. I don't know much about Batgirl so it was interesting.
FSUSpiderFan
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Postby Spider-Girl » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:16 pm

Donomark wrote:In searching for the podcast on iTunes, I also ran into the Batgirl: Year One motion comic and it is God-Awful.

I listened to a brief 30 secs and I was like...um, no! Maybe if Tara Strong were voicing her...maybe

FSUSpiderFan wrote:Nice first podcast! Very well thought out. It seemed short. I don't know much about Batgirl so it was interesting.

Thank-you! And yea, I'm working on attempting to lengthen it. I was shocked it was that short as well.

Please sign my petition to get Batgirl: Year One back into production! http://www.gopetition.com/online/36228.html

Spider-Girl
Avenger
Avenger

Postby Donomark » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:26 am

Spider-Girl wrote:
I listened to a brief 30 secs and I was like...um, no! Maybe if Tara Strong were voicing her...maybe

Tara Strong was a solid voice for Barbara, but I actually like Melissa Gilbert from the original series a bit better. She gave Babs a more unique voice that really made you feel her sense of defiance and earnest yearning in the world of Big Boy crimefighting.
Donomark
Avenger
Avenger

Postby NickMB » Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:11 pm

Just listened to the podcast whilst procrastinating my way through a piece of writing and was pretty good. You managed to mostly avoid the main podcast pitfalls, namely you seemed to have planned what you were saying, and you didn't spend half the time laughing at your own jokes (the main reason why I can't get through 10 minutes of most podcasts).
I would say don't necessarily succumb to the pressure to make it too much longer without good reason. I thought the length worked as it was. The sound was maybe a bit quiet, but I couldn't hear any wind noises. Anyway, yeah, good.
Read Hobson & Choi - my comedy-mystery webserial - right now.
More available on my blog and Twitter. Form an orderly queue.
NickMB
Avenger
Avenger

Postby WadeWilson » Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:39 pm

Just listened to this earlier today (while waiting in a 40 minute line @ Gamestop :roll: ). Great job, the podcast was very interesting since I don't really know much about Babs as Batgirl, since she's been Oracle my entire comic-reading life. It kept me entertained the whole time. [smilie=spidey_thumbs.gif]

Also, I didn't realize how much of a, um...jerk Dick was to Batgirl back in the 60's.
Delta House Member - Jungleboy
WadeWilson
Webslinger
Webslinger

Postby spidertour02 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:57 am

Spider-Girl wrote:I'm working on attempting to lengthen it. I was shocked it was that short as well.

That's what Spideydude said. :lol:
spidertour02

Postby Spider-Girl » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:23 pm

Thanks WadeWilson and NickMB, I appreciate your comments!

And spidertour02...whoa! :lol:

Spider-Girl
Avenger
Avenger

Postby slave83b » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:07 pm

Well, I finally got a chance to sit down and listen to the debut episode and I must say, you're off to quite a start. Not unlike yourself, my initial knowledge of Babs stems more from the animated series than the comics themselves, so the podcast promises to be something of a learning experience for me. And when the commentary on Babs' debut makes mention of the nature of the Ancient Roman concept of an ideal woman, you know you're in for something special. Incidentally, you are probably one of the few podcast hosts I've ever known who could make such a connection without creating a huge tangent in the process. And speaking of tangents, I feel I should make mention of the length of the show. It works! I only listen to a handful of podcasts, but (with the exception of yours) they all routinely run somewhere in the range of two or even three hours. Thus, a half-hour show can feel somewhat refreshing, especially since longer shows are often lengthened by tangential discussions. In your case though, it feels less like brevity for the sake of brevity than it does brevity born of concision, which in turn left me feeling like I got more content than expected from twenty six minutes. Better still, you avoided many of the technical problems that seem to plague new podcasts. Have you ever gone back and listened to the first episode of the Crawl Space Podcast? Brad was loud and clear, but Zach and Kevin were barely audible.

All in all, a very promising podcast, and I look forward to seeing where things go from here.
Delta House Member - Nacho

"I have never been to a freak show or taken acid, but this is what I imagine doing both at once must be like." - CrazyChris

slave83b
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey

Postby Spideydude » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:20 pm

spidertour02 wrote:
Spider-Girl wrote:I'm working on attempting to lengthen it. I was shocked it was that short as well.

That's what Spideydude said. :lol:

.... Looks at the Ban Button.

*Smack!*
This Post was Brought to you by... Spideydude! Your Friendly Neighborhood Administrator!
Check out My Exclusive Online SeriesCrawl Space Avengers!
CSA Member Since 2003 Delta House Member: Cyclone

JR Fettingers Marvel:I'd hire Spideydude to be me at conventions, with his cowboy hat, a cigar sticking out of his mouth, and a beer in his hand because he would certainly look a lot "cooler" and "more relatable" to the fanbase that a short, gray haired middle aged man.

Spideydude
Administrator
Administrator