Batgirl to Oracle: The Barbara Gordon Podcast

Discuss Spidey's comics, or any other comics that you like.

Moderators: PartyHardy, stillanerd, Spideydude, BD

Re: Batgirl to Oracle: The Barbara Gordon Podcast

Postby BertoneBeatle » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:13 pm

Cool...which reminds me I should send you the rest of that list one of these days (I've been working on it).
Did you read SHOWCASE yet?
BertoneBeatle
Avenger
Avenger

Postby Spider-Girl » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:40 am

BertoneBeatle wrote:Cool...which reminds me I should send you the rest of that list one of these days (I've been working on it).
Did you read SHOWCASE yet?

Haha, take your time! I haven't read SHOWCASE yet, which is the main reason why I can't put the show out yet. Hopefully, as I got it through MOC, I'll get it next month, but we shall see.
'Could I please have a bathroom token?' -- Bertone

Please sign my petition to get Batgirl: Year One back into production! http://www.gopetition.com/online/36228.html

Spider-Girl
Avenger
Avenger

Postby Styleshift » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:04 pm

Spider-Girl wrote:The topic title is pretty self-explanatory. Would you listen to a podcast about Barbara Gordon? It would target her time as Batgirl as well as Oracle. Am I already annoying enough and you don't want to listen to any more of me? Let me know. It would be a lot of work, but I would not undertake it unless I believe that people would listen/enjoy it.

As long as you talk about the differences between the media and all of the changes to continuity of course. :wink:

I love the DC characters....but it's the continuity that prevents me from keeping up with their ongoing titles.
Styleshift
Avenger
Avenger

Postby BertoneBeatle » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:06 pm

Poor Babs is full of some of the DC continuity stuff too, but most of it could be ignored lol.

The "Year One" mini is great, but with a few lines hear and there they pretty much retconned 80 percent of her Pre-Crisis stories.
BertoneBeatle
Avenger
Avenger

Postby Styleshift » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:14 pm

BertoneBeatle wrote:Poor Babs is full of some of the DC continuity stuff too, but most of it could be ignored lol.

The "Year One" mini is great, but with a few lines hear and there they pretty much retconned 80 percent of her Pre-Crisis stories.

Wow, really? I've heard she doesn't have the same age or job experience she was originally introduced with....
I'm also guessing the whole relationship between her and Bruce (in the animated series) was a MAJOR divergence right?
Styleshift
Avenger
Avenger

Postby BertoneBeatle » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:21 pm

Well in the Silver Age she has in her mid 20's, had finished graduate school and was DR. Barbara Gordon but the DR was dropped after her the first few stories. Methinks sexism may have been involved (just guessing) and they didn't want a woman more educated than Batman.

Year One started her out younger but kept MOST of her education (saying she finished school early but I don't believe they kept graduate school). I don't want to make it sound like I'm picking on YEAR ONE or saying it wasn't a good story, merely stating the difference between the versions. I like YEAR ONE but some of the "eh guyz" foreshadowing was a little too "hit you over the head" like when Black Canary says "WELL LETS NOT MAKE THE TEAMUPS A REGULAR THING" or when Babs says "Sorry Cassandra, I'm not ORACLE!". The art was top notch though and they captured the voice of Barbara real well, little surprise since it's Dixon.

As for the Bruce/Babs thing. There was SMALL hints of it in early stories. They would sometimes pretend to be a couple or she would pretend to be falling for him but it was usually a hoax or something else. In the 60's show she was set up on a date with Bruce at one point but Babs in those early stories pretty much had eyes for Jason Bard.

Anyway don't want to drift the topic too much from Stella's podcast so if you have any more questions in general we can take it to the Dick/Babs thread.
BertoneBeatle
Avenger
Avenger

Postby Styleshift » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:14 pm

BertoneBeatle wrote:Well in the Silver Age she has in her mid 20's, had finished graduate school and was DR. Barbara Gordon but the DR was dropped after her the first few stories. Methinks sexism may have been involved (just guessing) and they didn't want a woman more educated than Batman.

Year One started her out younger but kept MOST of her education (saying she finished school early but I don't believe they kept graduate school). I don't want to make it sound like I'm picking on YEAR ONE or saying it wasn't a good story, merely stating the difference between the versions. I like YEAR ONE but some of the "eh guyz" foreshadowing was a little too "hit you over the head" like when Black Canary says "WELL LETS NOT MAKE THE TEAMUPS A REGULAR THING" or when Babs says "Sorry Cassandra, I'm not ORACLE!". The art was top notch though and they captured the voice of Barbara real well, little surprise since it's Dixon.

As for the Bruce/Babs thing. There was SMALL hints of it in early stories. They would sometimes pretend to be a couple or she would pretend to be falling for him but it was usually a hoax or something else. In the 60's show she was set up on a date with Bruce at one point but Babs in those early stories pretty much had eyes for Jason Bard.

Anyway don't want to drift the topic too much from Stella's podcast so if you have any more questions in general we can take it to the Dick/Babs thread.

LOL ok, thanks for clearing all of that up for me Bertone. It helped alot! [smilie=spidey_cheers.gif]
Styleshift
Avenger
Avenger

Postby Donomark » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:31 pm

Hey Stell, I was talking to Bertone the other night and I mentioned the Batcave Companion by Michael Eury. If you've not read it, I'd reccomend it. There's an entire chapter dedicated to the creation of Batgirl and how she was in her first few appearances.
Donomark
Avenger
Avenger

Postby Spider-Girl » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:05 pm

I appreciate the info! I'll be sure to look into it!

Please sign my petition to get Batgirl: Year One back into production! http://www.gopetition.com/online/36228.html

Spider-Girl
Avenger
Avenger

Postby tschamp » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:15 pm

You know she is starring in V now don't you?
tschamp

Postby Spider-Girl » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:23 am

tschamp wrote:You know she is starring in V now don't you?

Haha, think you may have posted in the wrong topic. I'm very sure Barbara Gordon is not starring in V, however, Elizabeth Mitchell is starring in V. I'm watching that just for her as I really like her as an actress.

Spider-Girl
Avenger
Avenger

Postby tschamp » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:54 pm

It was late and rum was involved....sorry. :lol:
tschamp

Postby BertoneBeatle » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:55 pm

I was like, "I thought Supergirl was on V...maybe he means Yvonne Craig."
BertoneBeatle
Avenger
Avenger

Postby SpiderPool279 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:33 pm

if i could get into GL icould probably get int BG... wait no! not THAT kind of get into! oh god
BTW: Kevin and JR when will you guys get your own spinoffs? i want to hear a 24/7 jr station, all psycho all the time
ImageImage
Why Spidey and Deadpool don't team-up more often
BEST OMD JOKE EVER (warning: large image)
SpiderPool279
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey

Postby Guyman442 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:41 pm

SpiderPool279 wrote:i want to hear a 24/7 jr station, all psycho all the time

I second that!
You can just call me Mr. Man

Check out my YouTube Channel here: http://www.youtube.com/user/TheatreintheSquare

"My dear friend. Don't ever stop asking questions." -Dog Sees God

Delta House Member: Wraith
Guyman442
Webslinger
Webslinger