Axel Alonso Replaced.

Discuss Spidey's comics, or any other comics that you like.

Moderators: PartyHardy, BD, stillanerd, Spideydude

NickMB
Avenger
Avenger

Re: Axel Alonso Replaced.

Post by NickMB » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:08 am

Could be good. Cebulski is mainly known for his work in talent scouting and Marvel definitely has a problem with losing a lot of big names lately and not managing to recruit new ones or build up upcoming talent to replace them. So if he can arrest that, one way or another, that would be a big step towards fixing their line-wide issues.

And he does satisfy Marvel's seeming determination to always promote from within, but still bringing in someone with plausible distance from recent decisions that haven't worked. He seems phenomenally popular with the creative community, I've seen a lot of sincere-sounding excitement from them on Twitter.

I don't know much about what his 'voice' is like, editorially or creatively, so be interesting to see what a Cebulski-run Marvel actually looks like. The only Spider-Man related trivia I know on him is that he wrote the Loners mini-series which turned Phil Urich evil.
Read Hobson & Choi - my comedy-mystery webserial - right now.
More available on my blog and Twitter. Form an orderly queue.

Spider-Padre
Avenger
Avenger

Post by Spider-Padre » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:46 am

Timmyb52 wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:47 pm
George Berryman wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:36 pm
Waaay too early for this sort of optimism but at least for 30 minutes today I felt like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH01FhqMdc8
Hearing this news...I leaped for joy. Let's hope that this is indeed an indicator that Marvel is trying to right the ship. Now...if something can be done about Brevoort,Quesada and Slott it would be the icing on the cake.
:D
If the signs of the times are being read right, Slott will leave ASM very soon.

RDMacQ
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Post by RDMacQ » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:18 am

Spider-Padre wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:46 am
Tom Breevort did say that Slott's departure will be happening at some point.

I suspect that the reason for his vagueness is likely due to the fact that he knew there was going to be an editorial changeover, but did not know the exact details. Breevort may have looked at it as "I know that Slott is likely going to be a casualty of the editorial changeover, but I don't know if he's going to be done in February or be allowed to step off in ASM #800." Since this all depends on "The New Boss," it's kind of up in the air as to when and where this change will happen.

Spider-Padre
Avenger
Avenger

Post by Spider-Padre » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:51 am

Since this all depends on "The New Boss," it's kind of up in the air as to when and where this change will happen.
Occam's razor: That would be the least-convoluted explanation why Brevoort was ambiguous. He already knew Big Things were brewing behind the scenes. I wonder if Bendis strongly objected to the removal of Alonso (among other normal career motives). Bendis would have known, too, and the timing of the two changes is markedly close.

RDMacQ
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Post by RDMacQ » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:13 pm

Spider-Padre wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:51 am
Occam's razor: That would be the least-convoluted explanation why Brevoort was ambiguous. He already knew Big Things were brewing behind the scenes. I wonder if Bendis strongly objected to the removal of Alonso (among other normal career motives). Bendis would have known, too, and the timing of the two changes is markedly close.
Breevort would also be one of the few in the know regarding whether or not Alonso was going to be replaced. There were some rumors that he was going to be given the job (Although he has expressed disinterest in the position, preferring the one he has), but he would probably be part of the process to select the new EIC, possibly giving recommendations or acting as a go-between. CB Cebulski probably wasn't the only choice, and he likely had to interview for the position and present his plans as to what he wanted to do with the job and the direction he'd take the Marvel U. in.

Breevort probably figured that Slott was going to be a casualty of the new regime- he had been on the book for going on a decade, his sales were down, productivity was down, fan response to him and his stories had soured- but doesn't know when that ax is going to fall. Depending on how amenable Slott is to what Cebulski wants to go with the series, Slott could end up leaving in ASM #800, or be told to wrap things up with ASM #795 in February since Slott doesn't want to do what Cebulski wants him to do. Slott could have also been regarded as a casualty since he was there primarily because of Alonso, and allowed to stay on ASM long after he should have departed because- as Slott put it- he has a "Great relationship with his boss." Of course, that rationale only works if your boss stays the same. Slott likely doesn't have the same relationship with Cebulski that he did with Alonso, and has to start from scratch. Which may be what Marvel wanted with the hiring of Cebulski.

As for Bendis, he too might have gotten wind of this early. As I stated earlier, the decision to replace Alonso could have been made several weeks if not months ago, and Legacy was just the period designed to carry things over from Alonso's period as EIC to Cebulski's. And the writers at the October conference could have been told this. So while it may not have been the precise reason for Bendis leaving, it could have been a contributing factor.

MRstarkiller360
Avenger
Avenger

Post by MRstarkiller360 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:07 pm

A good argumant to made here is that this new EIC guy probably doesn't want to have a bad start. Ie having his books delayed and or co-writen. Because let's face it, this is something that has been happening with Slott for a long while.
And I don't think that Cebulski wants this for Marvel when he starts! So chances are that Slott is going to be fired from the book unless he does exatly what Cebulski wants.
However I doubt that would happen given Slott history towards changing his story ideas!

Big Al
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Post by Big Al » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:55 pm

So…Alonso is gone.

I know people are saying it was all mutually agreed and shit but…c’mon…Marvel’s sales have been in the toilet and the subject of controversy for a long ass time. I think he was fired and fired hard.

Good riddance I guess, though I am wary of the old adage of better the devil you know.

I’m not overly familiar with Cebulski’s work or his attitude towards stuff.

My biggest fear is he will initiate a reboot of the Marvel universe but I always have that fear and I guess if they didn’t do it in Secret Wars…I dunno.

All I know is Alonso is out, but most of the snake hive is still there. Maybe Cebulski has a different attitude and isn’t one of the snakes.

If this was effectively a firing as I suspect it was then Cebulski is different to Alonso in so far as Alonso was essentially CHOSEN by Quesada to be his successor, meaning that in a very real sense, as different as it was, Alonso’s regime was an extension and mutation of Quesada’s (hence endless heroes vs heroes crossovers).

I dunno how this will affect Marvel what with Alonso AND Bendis leaving. Alonso wasn’t a draw of course but he was one of the tent poles.

We will have to wait and see…though Brevoort is still there sadly.
Delta House Member Gimli

https://40.media.tumblr.com/2e65cb18213b8d4bf704dca08169e49c/tumblr_nz9jrqvyRA1she6m6o1_400.jpg

"The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the water spout. Down came the Goblin and took the spider out. "

Joey Z was F.A.C.A.D.E.

THIS: http://hellzyeahthewebwieldingavenger.tumblr.com/post/77268781356/the-debate-norman-osborn-vs-otto-octavius-who-is-the

My secret identity is: Ubertestosterone90sArnieAvenger....-Man

MRstarkiller360
Avenger
Avenger

Post by MRstarkiller360 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:06 pm

Big Al wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:55 pm
So…Alonso is gone.

I know people are saying it was all mutually agreed and shit but…c’mon…Marvel’s sales have been in the toilet and the subject of controversy for a long ass time. I think he was fired and fired hard.
So question : What are the chances that Dan Slott is fired and fired hard ? Given his reputation among the fans and his practices on work.

Timmyb52
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey

Post by Timmyb52 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:17 pm

Spider-Padre wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:46 am
Timmyb52 wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:47 pm
George Berryman wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:36 pm
Waaay too early for this sort of optimism but at least for 30 minutes today I felt like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH01FhqMdc8
Hearing this news...I leaped for joy. Let's hope that this is indeed an indicator that Marvel is trying to right the ship. Now...if something can be done about Brevoort,Quesada and Slott it would be the icing on the cake.
I have got my fingers crossed Padre!

Timmyb52
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey

Post by Timmyb52 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:24 pm

MRstarkiller360 wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:06 pm
Big Al wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:55 pm
So…Alonso is gone.

So question : What are the chances that Dan Slott is fired and fired hard ? Given his reputation among the fans and his practices on work.
I think whether he is given another book or is let go that we have seen the end of Slott's run and influence on Amazing with issue # 800...it's really just time for him to go and I can't see the new EIC allowing him to stay on the book much longer.

RDMacQ
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Post by RDMacQ » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:38 pm

MRstarkiller360 wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:06 pm
I think the chances are good that Slott might be moved off ASM in favor of new talent.

As EIC, Cebulski likely has his own plans for where to take the franchises and what to do with the series. He'd likely have to tell this to the people hiring him for the position in order to get the job. And it's very possible that those plans do not involve Dan Slott on the title.

Dan Slott's tenure on the series has lasted three EIC's now. That's a pretty long time. And I'd say that it'd be very likely that Slott remained on ASM for so long was due to the fact that Alonzo was likely hired in order to be a continuation of Quesada's tenure in the same position. Quesada did a great job, but he's needed in other areas of the company, so lets' get a guy who won't rock the boat so much. And if that was the case, then that explains why Slott has been on the series for so long and hasn't been cycled off.

But now there's a new boss. One that wasn't part of the current editorial pool. And one that likely has a different vision for Spider-Man and where to take the character than Quesada and Alonzo had. And was likely hired for the job for it.

Not to mention they may want new talent on the field. New voices enticing the fanbase. And a jewel like ASM is a very lovely bauble to entice talent with. "Come work for us. We'll give you Amazing Spider-Man! You'll get the flagship book!" You can't do that with someone squatting on it, refusing to leave. And refusing to listen to anyone that isn't telling them what they already want to hear.

I don't think Slott is going to be let go right away. I think they'll give him the grace period of at least ASM #800. But it really depends on how amenable he is to doing what his new boss- or bosses- want.

I expect Slott to stick around a while longer. But I wouldn't be surprised if the next big news we hear from Marvel is that Dan Slott's tenure on ASM will be wrapping up with February's ASM #795 and the annual.

MisterMets
Avenger
Avenger

Post by MisterMets » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:16 pm

The move makes sense.

The last two events weren't very well-received (Civil War 2, Secret Empire.) The reception to Legacy isn't the best. Avengers has declined in significance. Bendis just left, meaning replacements are required on four titles (The Defenders, Iron Man, Jessica Jones, Miles Morales.) The Inhumans haven't taken off, and with the show bombing, there isn''t the benefit of being able to sell back-material to its fans. The diversity initiatives seem to have gone overboard (and I get that this was mainly a coincidence with writers wanting to do similar stories at the same time with the Sam Wilson Cap, Jane Foster Thor, Riri Williams Iron Man, Amadus Cho Hulk, Wolverine taking a breather, etc.), and there are limited moves forward without pissing off some people (the people who want higher prominence for the famous characters who are disproportionately likely to be white males want something mutually exclusive from the people who want higher prominence for new characters.)

It might be that Alonso wasn't the right fit for this time. He was pretty open about not being as big a Marvel fan, and the things he did well (getting interesting talent for largely self-contained titles in Vertigo and Quesada's Marvel) weren't necessarily the same as spearheading a shared universe.

Cebulski has some advantages, although there's no guarantee of success. He's a lifelong Marvel fan. He's one of the best in the industry in talent acquisition, which the company really needs right now (Who are their big writers aside from Slott, Jason Aaron or Mark Waid? When have they had their last breakout artist?) His job for the last few years has been finding new audiences, and making the brand more accessible. Since he's spent the last few years overseas, he's avoided the current fights, and might be positioned to resolve it without pissing off anybody, and without the baggage of comments in earlier arguments.

Spider-Padre
Avenger
Avenger

Post by Spider-Padre » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:32 pm

Marvel saw a flood of writing talent leave, during Alonso's tenure, including Bendis. It was by his direction that they wasted money and flooded the market with unpopular titles. He set off the widespread "swap the classic heroes with PC versions", all at once (which was most of the problem, too much all at once), which then backfired on them. He flooded the line with repetitive event cross-overs, a move which also backfired on them. He publicly disparaged the importance of their artists. Looking back over his tenure, there's little he did that could be called a success, and much that contributed to their current troubles. Some individual writers rose above his directives -- Aarons' work with Jane Foster Thor is supposed to be good, I've not read it -- but I think a lot of what a great many people dislike about Marvel today can be attributed to Alonso.

ChiTownSpidey
Webslinger
Webslinger

Post by ChiTownSpidey » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:49 pm

Personality wise, he's a great guy to talk to and very nice towards fans. I got my picture taken with him during the SDCC Spider-Man panel in 2010.

I'm not sure how he's going to steer Marvel or more importantly Spidey, but hoping it's in the direction we all like.

Chase the Blues Away
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey

Post by Chase the Blues Away » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:57 pm

Cebulski wrote the Fairy Tales series, which has one of my favorite Peter and Mary Jane stories in it (Little Red Riding Hood with Mary Jane as the titular character).

My guess is Bendis's departure is the last straw that led to Alonso getting fired. I'm also guessing this was a sudden firing, with no one except very senior executives at Marvel and Disney knowing about it, and I'm also seeing Disney's hand in giving the role to Cebulski. China is a big market for Disney, and one that it is hard to crack for American entertainment companies. Cebulski's appointment instead of, say, Brevoort or hiring DiDio or Johns away from DC, seems to signify Disney sees Marvel's growth coming from new overseas markets, not necessarily the US market.

I'm also guessing Slott will be moved off ASM sooner rather than later. They'll probably give him another title, however, and not kick him entirely to the curb as Marvel's talent ranks are currently quite thin.
Last edited by Chase the Blues Away on Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.