Who should take over Miles' book?

Discuss Spidey's comics, or any other comics that you like.

Moderators: PartyHardy, BD, stillanerd, Spideydude

Alistair
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Who should take over Miles' book?

Post by Alistair » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:42 am

With Bendis leaving Marvel, it seems that a lot of creative and editorial re-shuffling is in order; the obvious point of interest for the Spidey fan is what happens to Miles Morales? Regardless of what you think about him, I think given his frequent appearances in non-comics media as of late (MCU reference, the new TV show and the Insomniac game, to name a few) at least in the short term, he'll still be around. So, it's likely that Miles will continue to have his own book (be it Adjectiveless or Ultimate). Thus, which writer artist or creative team would you want to take over the book?
BOOM! Lamborghini drives out...

MisterMets
Avenger
Avenger

Re: Who should take over Miles' book?

Post by MisterMets » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:45 am

Hmm, good question. Who can write a balance of high school life and superhero adventures?

G. Willow Wilson handles that well in Ms. Marvel, but she isn't that prolific. Ta-Nehisi Coates would do some interesting stuff on social issues, but he seems likewise busy. Mark Waid's done teen heroes and private lives well, but Champions hasn't been a hit, creatively or in terms of sales.

Kieron Gillen's Young Avengers was quite good.

Raina Telgemier has written some very well regarded graphic novels for younger audiences (Smile, Ghosts) through Scholastic.

In terms of artists, you'd also need a similar combo, as well as someone who draws teens as teens (so no John Romita Jr.) It might make sense to keep someone who has already worked on the character (Sara Pichelli, Oscar Bazaldua, Nico Leon) to give the series visual continuity with the second big writer. I can't recall any complaints about the quality of artists on the series.

Frontier
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey

Post by Frontier » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:05 pm

I've seen a suggestion for David Walker (Power Man and Iron Fist, Luke Cage) and I think he'd be a good pick.

John Ossie
Webslinger
Webslinger

Post by John Ossie » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:29 pm

I wouldn't mind Christos Gage or G. Willow Wilson personally.

Cheesedique
Avenger
Avenger

Post by Cheesedique » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:32 pm

I would like to see Ta-Nehisi Coates take on Miles, but I'd really like to see what Christopher Priest would do with him.

RDMacQ
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Post by RDMacQ » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:45 pm

John Ossie wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:29 pm
I wouldn't mind Christos Gage or G. Willow Wilson personally.
From what I've heard, G. Willow Wilson has a daughter with a heart condition, so it limits what she can spend her time on. Ms. Marvel seems to be the only book she is able to work on at this time.

As for other writers, I'd like to get a new creator to give their take on Miles. Marvel's problem has been relying too much on the old guard to write their material, and hasn't really taken steps to grow their own talent pool. Some new creator could use the chance to show what they can do on Miles' book.

John Ossie
Webslinger
Webslinger

Post by John Ossie » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:13 pm

Didn't know about Wilson's daughter, hope her daughter is ok considering. So I guess it's just Gage then from my earlier post. As for the talent pool well I can only go by who I've read LOL.