Continuity problems in Generations: the Spiders and Spider-

Discuss Spidey's comics, or any other comics that you like.

Moderators: PartyHardy, BD, stillanerd, Spideydude

Big Al
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Continuity problems in Generations: the Spiders and Spider-

Post by Big Al » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:20 pm

In Generations: Miles Morales Spider-Man and Peter Parker Spider-Man and Spider-Men II there are four huge continuity problems.

1) Miles going back in time allows him to see a teenage Peter Parker and a child version of himself and Ganke. Except as we know (and as Spider-men II, the recap page and in fact multiple other stories corroborate) Miles doesn't have a history in the 616 universe. He was transplanted into it from the Ultimate Universe. He made his debut to the public win the 8 month time skip from Secret Wars 2015. Peter explicietly mentions that in Spider-Men II. So how can Miles possibly exist in the past? Especially since 616 Miles very existence contradicts that idea.

2) Generations is set during Amazing Spider-Man #33 but it directly contradicts it. In the original issue Peter didn't have enough time to go to school like he did in Generations, his attitude was like...the opposite of what it was in Generations and he discovered Aunt May was going to be okay in an entirely different way.

3) How the Hell does Peter NOT remember or recognize Miles when he meets him int eh future.

The story tries to pretend Peter thinks of him as a dream or an imaginary friend but Peter is clearly cognisant enough during the conversation they have and is very much awake when Miles reveals his identity to him and the fact he is from the future. Peter would 100% remember the conversation even if he somehow believed it to have been all in his head (unlikely because he met Miles earlier that day at school). But we of course never see him talk about or even THINK about how on the day Aunt May nearly died (which happened during his FIRST WEEK OF COLLEGE) he imagined meeting a kid who was a future Spider-Man clad in red and black.

And he REALLy never thinks about it when he actually MEETS Miles in the future. Like...wouldn't there have been a moment where he went 'oh my God that guy WAS real'? In fact shouldn't that apply to MOST of the times the old characters meet the new ones in Generations?

4) In Spider-Men II we see 616 Miles Morales and learn he helped Kingpin kill Don Rigoletto during the latter's rise as a crime lord. Except this contradicts Daredevil: Man Without Fear where the Don not only has an eye patch but dies in a completely different way.

I know some people think continuity got altered because of Secret Wars 2015 but we KNOW that that is not the case. Nothing in Secret Wars itself ever implies that, other stories imply or outright confirm that that is not the case and guys like Brevoort, the hand book people and bio entries for the characters do the same. For instance Doctor Strange had a bio entry in 2015 stating everything in Secret Wars happened but he just didn't remember it when he came back to life. Even if you do want to believe Secret Wars altered past continuity that wouldn't apply here since Spider-Men II was implied to have already been part of Marvel's history back during Spider-Men I in 2012.

The only explanations I can come up with for this stuff is that the time travel in Generations isn't sending them back to the 616 universe but just alternate timelines or else it's not like...the actual past or something. Or that the Vanishing Point is like creating a weird collission of the past that the characetrs are 'meant' to see as opposed to like straight up dropping the modern characters in the real past. Like if you time travelled back to ASm #33 you'd still see events play out as they happened without Miles Morales there.

And as for Spider-Men all I can throw out is maybe there are 2 people called Don Rigoletto?????
Delta House Member Gimli

https://40.media.tumblr.com/2e65cb18213b8d4bf704dca08169e49c/tumblr_nz9jrqvyRA1she6m6o1_400.jpg

"The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the water spout. Down came the Goblin and took the spider out. "

Joey Z was F.A.C.A.D.E.

THIS: http://hellzyeahthewebwieldingavenger.tumblr.com/post/77268781356/the-debate-norman-osborn-vs-otto-octavius-who-is-the

My secret identity is: Ubertestosterone90sArnieAvenger....-Man

Timmyb52
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey

Re: Continuity problems in Generations: the Spiders and Spid

Post by Timmyb52 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:12 pm

Big Al wrote:In Generations: Miles Morales Spider-Man and Peter Parker Spider-Man and Spider-Men II there are four huge continuity problems.

1) Miles going back in time allows him to see a teenage Peter Parker and a child version of himself and Ganke. Except as we know (and as Spider-men II, the recap page and in fact multiple other stories corroborate) Miles doesn't have a history in the 616 universe. He was transplanted into it from the Ultimate Universe. He made his debut to the public win the 8 month time skip from Secret Wars 2015. Peter explicietly mentions that in Spider-Men II. So how can Miles possibly exist in the past? Especially since 616 Miles very existence contradicts that idea.

2) Generations is set during Amazing Spider-Man #33 but it directly contradicts it. In the original issue Peter didn't have enough time to go to school like he did in Generations, his attitude was like...the opposite of what it was in Generations and he discovered Aunt May was going to be okay in an entirely different way.

3) How the Hell does Peter NOT remember or recognize Miles when he meets him int eh future.

The story tries to pretend Peter thinks of him as a dream or an imaginary friend but Peter is clearly cognisant enough during the conversation they have and is very much awake when Miles reveals his identity to him and the fact he is from the future. Peter would 100% remember the conversation even if he somehow believed it to have been all in his head (unlikely because he met Miles earlier that day at school). But we of course never see him talk about or even THINK about how on the day Aunt May nearly died (which happened during his FIRST WEEK OF COLLEGE) he imagined meeting a kid who was a future Spider-Man clad in red and black.

And he REALLy never thinks about it when he actually MEETS Miles in the future. Like...wouldn't there have been a moment where he went 'oh my God that guy WAS real'? In fact shouldn't that apply to MOST of the times the old characters meet the new ones in Generations?

4) In Spider-Men II we see 616 Miles Morales and learn he helped Kingpin kill Don Rigoletto during the latter's rise as a crime lord. Except this contradicts Daredevil: Man Without Fear where the Don not only has an eye patch but dies in a completely different way.

I know some people think continuity got altered because of Secret Wars 2015 but we KNOW that that is not the case. Nothing in Secret Wars itself ever implies that, other stories imply or outright confirm that that is not the case and guys like Brevoort, the hand book people and bio entries for the characters do the same. For instance Doctor Strange had a bio entry in 2015 stating everything in Secret Wars happened but he just didn't remember it when he came back to life. Even if you do want to believe Secret Wars altered past continuity that wouldn't apply here since Spider-Men II was implied to have already been part of Marvel's history back during Spider-Men I in 2012.

The only explanations I can come up with for this stuff is that the time travel in Generations isn't sending them back to the 616 universe but just alternate timelines or else it's not like...the actual past or something. Or that the Vanishing Point is like creating a weird collission of the past that the characetrs are 'meant' to see as opposed to like straight up dropping the modern characters in the real past. Like if you time travelled back to ASm #33 you'd still see events play out as they happened without Miles Morales there.

And as for Spider-Men all I can throw out is maybe there are 2 people called Don Rigoletto?????
Easy solution....ignore this book even exists and keep it out of your own head canon and personal collection.