David Michelinie reveals some new info on the Wedding Annual

Discuss Spidey's comics, or any other comics that you like.

Moderators: PartyHardy, BD, stillanerd, Spideydude

Big Al
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

David Michelinie reveals some new info on the Wedding Annual

Post by Big Al » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:43 am

I just asked David Michelinie a question about the Spider-Marriage and he actually replied!

ME: Mr Michelinie.

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe you once said that in an earlier version of Amazing Spider-Man Annual #21 (the Wedding storyline) you were planning on Peter Parker talking with a vision of Gwen Stacy (or something along those lines).

Could you be so kind as to elaborate on what you had in mind for this scene and any other notable aspects of the story that didn’t make it into the final version?
DAVID MICHELINIE: Actually…virtually nothing of my original plot made it into the published comic. I wanted to do something different for a wedding story, not the usual bad-guys-crash-ceremony-and-hero-has-to-suit-up-to-save-the-day. So at one point, after a Spider-Man fight at the beginning, I was going to have a troubled Peter Parker walking down the sidewalk talking to an unidentified someone about his concerns for Aunt May, and how she would feel about Mary Jane and Peter maybe “drifting away” from her. During the conversation we’d swing the camera around to show that Peter is talking to Uncle Ben, who’s walking beside him. At another point Peter would be on a park bench, discussing the possibility of putting MJ in danger by being married to a super hero, and of her worrying about him not coming home alive some night. And we’d see that he was discussing the matter with Gwen Stacey. Towards the end would be another action sequence with Spider-Man, after which Peter would collapse and be taken to a hospital, where he would be diagnosed as having a concussion from the opening battle. Then we would learn that the conversations with dead people were hallucinations, Peter trying to work out his own doubts and anxieties about the very big step of getting married. Through monologues with his “memory” friends he would have convinced himself that life with Mary Jane would be worth the risks and would be welcomed by others in his life. But editor-in-chief Jim Shooter took me into his office and told me that the wedding was going to get huge publicity and Marvel was hoping it would bring a lot of non-comics people in to read the story. Therefore, Marvel wanted something more standard, something that “civilians” could more easily gets their minds around. So I turned the plotting over to him and the story became something very different from what I was going to do. On a side note, when in Jim’s office he privately told me that he appreciated what I was trying to do and liked my story, but that Marvel wanted something more commercial. However, a number of years later he was quoted in a Wizard Magazine interview as saying he thought my original plot was “lame” and “inappropriate”. So I guess a LOT of things changed over the years…
ME: Wow, that's actually way more detailed info than I was hoping for Mr Michelinie. Thank you very much. Given what you've told me I suppose then you couldn't elaborate on what happened between Mary Jane and her ex Bruce when they drove off together the night before the wedding.
DAVID MICHELINIE: "Bruce" was a character Jim Shooter added. I asked if he was referring to Bruce Willis (a hot actor at the time) or some other celebrity, indicating that up-and-coming actress MJ knew a lot of famous folk, but Jim just said it was a name he used. So I have no idea what happened when the characters drove off.
Delta House Member Gimli

https://40.media.tumblr.com/2e65cb18213b8d4bf704dca08169e49c/tumblr_nz9jrqvyRA1she6m6o1_400.jpg

"The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the water spout. Down came the Goblin and took the spider out. "

Joey Z was F.A.C.A.D.E.

THIS: http://hellzyeahthewebwieldingavenger.tumblr.com/post/77268781356/the-debate-norman-osborn-vs-otto-octavius-who-is-the

My secret identity is: Ubertestosterone90sArnieAvenger....-Man

Frontier
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey

Re: David Michelinie reveals some new info on the Wedding An

Post by Frontier » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:10 am

That would've been an interesting development for the annual, though I also appreciated the mundanity of the original story :) .

MRstarkiller360
Avenger
Avenger

Post by MRstarkiller360 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:17 am

You know, I find it facinating on how much of behind-the-scenes there is about this one issue!
Like that one story where I belive Tom DeFalco wanted it to be about the worst thing that could happen to a human being, ie the bride diching out the groom on the weeding day.
I guess by the end of the day we have to thank Jim Shooter for green lighting the comic that we got.

Spider-Padre
Avenger
Avenger

Post by Spider-Padre » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:43 am

Oh, why don't we just assume that opinions about the marriage were all over the place, depending on the individual? Some thought it was a logical move based on history (and a great marketing event), others thought it was a huge mistake, still others were, "this too shall pass, but I can make it work", etc. All to say that Slott's version of reality ("Everybody hated it, and everybody hates it now, they really do!") is nonsense that everyone sees straight through.

Spider-Dad
Avenger
Avenger

Re: David Michelinie reveals some new info on the Wedding Annual

Post by Spider-Dad » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:44 pm

Since I was in college, I was actually not reading comics for a couple years, when a comic shop opened on campus and the poster was ASM Annual #21. I was convinced it had to be a "What If" story and there was a gimmick of some sort. I still picked it up and thought the story was OK, but it was enough for me to start up ASM again, since some new artist named Todd McFarlane had just come onboard.

As for the treatise above, that sounds much more interesting than what we got. I always felt the Bruce portion was wedged into the story and was pretty lame.

Overall great catch and thanks for sharing!

Spider-Dad
Spider-Dad
Delta House Member - "Snapper"

Masked Guy
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey

Re: David Michelinie reveals some new info on the Wedding Annual

Post by Masked Guy » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:28 pm

This actually sounds much more interesting and meaningful than what we got. I like the wedding annual, but the story itself is pretty basic for the most part. I think Michelinie's original script would have been much more satisfying for longtime fans.

Big Al
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Post by Big Al » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:04 pm

Spider-Padre wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:43 am
Oh, why don't we just assume that opinions about the marriage were all over the place, depending on the individual? Some thought it was a logical move based on history (and a great marketing event), others thought it was a huge mistake, still others were, "this too shall pass, but I can make it work", etc. All to say that Slott's version of reality ("Everybody hated it, and everybody hates it now, they really do!") is nonsense that everyone sees straight through.
We shouldn't assume that because we know that that was not the case.

Of course it wasn't universally true for 100% of fandom but yeah the overwhelming majority were in favour of it.
Delta House Member Gimli

https://40.media.tumblr.com/2e65cb18213b8d4bf704dca08169e49c/tumblr_nz9jrqvyRA1she6m6o1_400.jpg

"The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the water spout. Down came the Goblin and took the spider out. "

Joey Z was F.A.C.A.D.E.

THIS: http://hellzyeahthewebwieldingavenger.tumblr.com/post/77268781356/the-debate-norman-osborn-vs-otto-octavius-who-is-the

My secret identity is: Ubertestosterone90sArnieAvenger....-Man