Worst Spider-Man Writers

Discuss Spidey's comics, or any other comics that you like.

Moderators: PartyHardy, BD, stillanerd, Spideydude

Big Al
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Re: Worst Spider-Man Writers

Post by Big Al » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:34 pm

Chase the Blues Away wrote:
Andrew C wrote:I don't get the hate for Paul Jenkins and Joe Kelly, but to each their own.
For me, it's a question of tone, voice and sensibility.

Jenkins and Kelly are technically fine writers. Unlike Slott and Quesada, who make the muses weep with their writing craft ineptitude, Jenkins and Kelly know how to structure a story, build a character arc, etc.

Kelly isn't on my list because I thought Spider-Man/Deadpool, while benefitting from a lack of anything resembling real competition, was the best recently published ongoing 616 Spider-Man title. But I can see how his Brand New Day work would land him on others' lists.

As for Jenkins, he's completely wrong. His sensibility is too cynical, his voice too jaded for Spider-Man. He leaned on the "Peter is a clueless git who deserves to be laughed at, not laughed with" motif long before Slott codified. His Peter/Green Goblin story is, on the face of it, well-told and well-constructed - but doesn't ring at all true to the character's' established histories and personalities. Same for his Uncle Ben story. It's a good story but with the wrong characters.

Others' mileage may vary.
I vacilate on Jenkins a lot. I think the good aspect to him a very good but he drops the ball in major, major ways.

This is best summed up in his Death in the Family story. In terms of Norman's characterization and his relationship with Peter 90% is fine up until the end when Peter claims he doesn't hate Norman because...no bullshit of course he would (and that he loves MJ and Gwen equally, but that's a side issue).

His Spectacular Spider-Man work sans maybe 2 issues sucks though.

Out of curisoity what did you feel was out of place with his Uncle Ben stories.
Delta House Member Gimli

https://40.media.tumblr.com/2e65cb18213b8d4bf704dca08169e49c/tumblr_nz9jrqvyRA1she6m6o1_400.jpg

"The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the water spout. Down came the Goblin and took the spider out. "

Joey Z was F.A.C.A.D.E.

THIS: http://hellzyeahthewebwieldingavenger.tumblr.com/post/77268781356/the-debate-norman-osborn-vs-otto-octavius-who-is-the

My secret identity is: Ubertestosterone90sArnieAvenger....-Man

Big Al
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Post by Big Al » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:36 pm

Masked Guy wrote:
Big Al wrote:It depends upon your criteria for low quality and who qualifies as a writer.

Joe Quesada would be an obvious choice but he's written less than 10 issues so should we count him? What abotu people who've written crappy minis? And is low quality determined by bad craftsmanship skills or their impact upon the franchise.

On a purely craftsmanship level Terry Kavanagh is worse than Dan Slott but Slott and Quesada individually and collectively have done far more to damage the franchise over all than Kavanagh ever did.

But for the people who just grind my gears personally.

Quesada/Slott joint first place.

Ann Nocenti

Mark Waid

Joe Kelly

Zeb Wells

Chistos Gage

John Byrne

Terry Kavanagh

Tom Lyle

Erik Larsen (apart from literally 1 issue)

Denny O'Neil

1999-2001 Howard Mackie

Sometimes Paul Jenkins

And now I can faithfully add Chip Zdarsky to the list
What would you say is the worst Spider-Man story from each of those writers?
Quesada: OMIT/OMD

Slott: Superior

nOCENTI: Return to Mad Dog Ward

Waid: The Daredevil crossover

Wells: Shed

Kelly: Return of the black Cat

Gage: Superiro #31

Byrne: Green Goblin V

Kavanagh: Lives Unlived

Lyle: The Unlimited issue with the Twin Towers

Larsen: The stupid MJ nudity subplot

O'Neil: Too much to choose from

Mackie: ASM Annual 2001

PPSM vol 2 #21

Spec vol 3 as a whole
Delta House Member Gimli

https://40.media.tumblr.com/2e65cb18213b8d4bf704dca08169e49c/tumblr_nz9jrqvyRA1she6m6o1_400.jpg

"The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the water spout. Down came the Goblin and took the spider out. "

Joey Z was F.A.C.A.D.E.

THIS: http://hellzyeahthewebwieldingavenger.tumblr.com/post/77268781356/the-debate-norman-osborn-vs-otto-octavius-who-is-the

My secret identity is: Ubertestosterone90sArnieAvenger....-Man

Masked Guy
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey

Post by Masked Guy » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:52 pm

Big Al wrote:
Masked Guy wrote:
Big Al wrote:It depends upon your criteria for low quality and who qualifies as a writer.

Joe Quesada would be an obvious choice but he's written less than 10 issues so should we count him? What abotu people who've written crappy minis? And is low quality determined by bad craftsmanship skills or their impact upon the franchise.

On a purely craftsmanship level Terry Kavanagh is worse than Dan Slott but Slott and Quesada individually and collectively have done far more to damage the franchise over all than Kavanagh ever did.

But for the people who just grind my gears personally.

Quesada/Slott joint first place.

Ann Nocenti

Mark Waid

Joe Kelly

Zeb Wells

Chistos Gage

John Byrne

Terry Kavanagh

Tom Lyle

Erik Larsen (apart from literally 1 issue)

Denny O'Neil

1999-2001 Howard Mackie

Sometimes Paul Jenkins

And now I can faithfully add Chip Zdarsky to the list
What would you say is the worst Spider-Man story from each of those writers?
Quesada: OMIT/OMD

Slott: Superior

nOCENTI: Return to Mad Dog Ward

Waid: The Daredevil crossover

Wells: Shed

Kelly: Return of the black Cat

Gage: Superiro #31

Byrne: Green Goblin V

Kavanagh: Lives Unlived

Lyle: The Unlimited issue with the Twin Towers

Larsen: The stupid MJ nudity subplot

O'Neil: Too much to choose from

Mackie: ASM Annual 2001

PPSM vol 2 #21

Spec vol 3 as a whole
Aside from Shed and Superior, I'd be hard-pressed to disagree with any of those choices.