Best Spider-Man Writers

Discuss Spidey's comics, or any other comics that you like.

Moderators: PartyHardy, BD, stillanerd, Spideydude

Masked Guy
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey

Re: Best Spider-Man Writers

Post by Masked Guy » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:03 pm

RDMacQ wrote:I's funny. While I do agree that Peter David is one of the better Spider-Man writers, I'd also say he's kind of a bad fit for the franchise.

He's given us some pretty solid stories, such as "Where Commeth the Commuter" and the excellent "Sin Eater" story as well as it's sequel. But for me if feels like David succeeds better when he is doing one off stories, or smaller, self contained arcs, than he is with the more traditional Spider-Man fare. The type of stories he writes there never seem to match up well for me for what I think of as a Spider-Man story. They tend to involve super science and time travel and magic, and that feels like an odd fit for Spider-Man.

It's weird. When David is good, he's really good. But when he's not, it's not that his stories are awful, it's more that they just don't feel like Spider-Man stories.
Aside from the Sin-Eater stories, I would agree that David is largely better at one-off tales (hence my list). Still, his stint on Spectacular Spider-Man is one of my favorites.

Cheesedique
Avenger
Avenger

Post by Cheesedique » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:58 am

RDMacQ wrote:I's funny. While I do agree that Peter David is one of the better Spider-Man writers, I'd also say he's kind of a bad fit for the franchise.

He's given us some pretty solid stories, such as "Where Commeth the Commuter" and the excellent "Sin Eater" story as well as it's sequel. But for me if feels like David succeeds better when he is doing one off stories, or smaller, self contained arcs, than he is with the more traditional Spider-Man fare. The type of stories he writes there never seem to match up well for me for what I think of as a Spider-Man story. They tend to involve super science and time travel and magic, and that feels like an odd fit for Spider-Man.

It's weird. When David is good, he's really good. But when he's not, it's not that his stories are awful, it's more that they just don't feel like Spider-Man stories.
If you haven't, you owe it to yourself to seek out the issues of Spec between "Death Of Jean deWolff" and "Return Of The Sin Eater" written by PAD, along with Spec #103 (the first appearance of Blaze).

Not only were they kick-ass, action-packed issues of Spidey at his street-level best, there was no time travel and very few sci-fi aspects. Just Spidey kicking around his part of New York with Felicia, fighting Foreigner and Sabertooth. No Avengers showing up (Spidey does fight SHIELD in one memorable issue). I think the only guest star during the run was Dr Strange.

The time travel / crazy sci-fi bent came later in PAD's Friendly Neighborhood series (and I have to say, upon re-reading the series, it was done pretty well--it's like the kinda stuff slott wishes he could write but falls well short).

To me, PAD's issues of Spec and the Commuter issue are master classes in how modern Spidey comics at their default should be. YMMV, of course.

Masked Guy
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey

Post by Masked Guy » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:08 am

Cheesedique wrote:

If you haven't, you owe it to yourself to seek out the issues of Spec between "Death Of Jean deWolff" and "Return Of The Sin Eater" written by PAD, along with Spec #103 (the first appearance of Blaze).

Not only were they kick-ass, action-packed issues of Spidey at his street-level best, there was no time travel and very few sci-fi aspects. Just Spidey kicking around his part of New York with Felicia, fighting Foreigner and Sabertooth. No Avengers showing up (Spidey does fight SHIELD in one memorable issue). I think the only guest star during the run was Dr Strange.

The time travel / crazy sci-fi bent came later in PAD's Friendly Neighborhood series (and I have to say, upon re-reading the series, it was done pretty well--it's like the kinda stuff slott wishes he could write but falls well short).

To me, PAD's issues of Spec and the Commuter issue are master classes in how modern Spidey comics at their default should be. YMMV, of course.
It's a shame that David never really got to do what he wanted on Friendly Neighborhood because of Civil War.

Cheesedique
Avenger
Avenger

Post by Cheesedique » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:55 am

Masked Guy wrote:It's a shame that David never really got to do what he wanted on Friendly Neighborhood because of Civil War.
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man got sidelined by "The Other" for its first issue. So yeah, it was a series plagued at times by crossover madness, which was coming back into vogue in a big way at the time.

Incidentally, I mentioned earlier how Spidey fought SHIELD in that Spec issue (#118), and CBR had a nice Comics Legends Revealed piece yesterday on that issue's story and central character. I didn't find out until years and years later that this kid survived and later popped up again in Peter David's Hulk run when McFarlane was drawing it:

http://www.cbr.com/hulk-saved-spider-ma ... ter-david/

Masked Guy
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey

Post by Masked Guy » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:50 pm

Cheesedique wrote:
Masked Guy wrote:It's a shame that David never really got to do what he wanted on Friendly Neighborhood because of Civil War.
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man got sidelined by "The Other" for its first issue. So yeah, it was a series plagued at times by crossover madness, which was coming back into vogue in a big way at the time.

Incidentally, I mentioned earlier how Spidey fought SHIELD in that Spec issue (#118), and CBR had a nice Comics Legends Revealed piece yesterday on that issue's story and central character. I didn't find out until years and years later that this kid survived and later popped up again in Peter David's Hulk run when McFarlane was drawing it:

http://www.cbr.com/hulk-saved-spider-ma ... ter-david/
I never knew that kid survived. Interesting.

Masked Guy
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey

Post by Masked Guy » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:28 am

I completely forgot to ask who your favorite Spidey writers are, RDMacQ.

RDMacQ
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Post by RDMacQ » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:44 pm

Masked Guy wrote: I completely forgot to ask who your favorite Spidey writers are, RDMacQ.
I'd have to say my top two are JMS (Been a fan of his since B5, and my jaw literally dropped when I read that he was going to be writing ASM. It was like a dream come true for me) and Brian Michael Bendis. Both of these guys sort of "Get" Spider-Man in a way that appeals to me.

My other favorites include Gerry Conway (He really impressed me with his later 80's work during Spectacular and the whole Tombstone arc), JM Demattais, and Peter David (Although I prefer his 80's stuff to his work on Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man). And Stan Lee, of course, for getting the ball rolling.

Masked Guy
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey

Post by Masked Guy » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:22 pm

RDMacQ wrote:
Masked Guy wrote: I completely forgot to ask who your favorite Spidey writers are, RDMacQ.
I'd have to say my top two are JMS (Been a fan of his since B5, and my jaw literally dropped when I read that he was going to be writing ASM. It was like a dream come true for me) and Brian Michael Bendis. Both of these guys sort of "Get" Spider-Man in a way that appeals to me.

My other favorites include Gerry Conway (He really impressed me with his later 80's work during Spectacular and the whole Tombstone arc), JM Demattais, and Peter David (Although I prefer his 80's stuff to his work on Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man). And Stan Lee, of course, for getting the ball rolling.
Great choices. Did you like Conway's '70s work at all?

RDMacQ
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Post by RDMacQ » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:41 am

Masked Guy wrote:Great choices. Did you like Conway's '70s work at all?
I thought it was alright for the most part, with Conway hitting his stride with the Death of Gwen Stacy and the stories beyond.

Before that it was pretty bog-standard 60's to 70's superhero fare. Nothing to really to make it stand out. But once they killed off Gwen Stacy, it gave the book some real meat to work with and helped the series find it's emotional core, which helped carry the book under Conway's departure at the end of the first Clone Saga.

Masked Guy
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey

Post by Masked Guy » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:53 am

RDMacQ wrote:
Masked Guy wrote:Great choices. Did you like Conway's '70s work at all?
I thought it was alright for the most part, with Conway hitting his stride with the Death of Gwen Stacy and the stories beyond.

Before that it was pretty bog-standard 60's to 70's superhero fare. Nothing to really to make it stand out. But once they killed off Gwen Stacy, it gave the book some real meat to work with and helped the series find it's emotional core, which helped carry the book under Conway's departure at the end of the first Clone Saga.
I would tend to agree. Conway's '70s stint has always been one of my favorite Spider-Man eras.