Name all the times Slott made Peter be stupid.

Discuss Spidey's comics, or any other comics that you like.

Moderators: PartyHardy, BD, stillanerd, Spideydude

Phantom Roxas
Avenger
Avenger

Re: Name all the times Slott made Peter be stupid.

Post by Phantom Roxas » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:40 pm

BlackSuit wrote:Because many comic book writers are self-entitled, with a bloated ego and too much in love with their ideas to accept interference from of editors or fans. Shooter may have been hard and an authoritarian boss, but for what I see with writers from the 80's and 90's is they are not that different from many writers at Marvel nowadays, (I thik the only difference is today writers are even worse). We can see how since Quesada regime the writers got much more influence and now we have individuals like Bendis that doesn't answer no one and prima donnas like Slott that when obey just throw a hissy fit like a spoiled brat.
I've said this before, but I think a huge problem is that people like Tom Brevoort, Joe Quesada, and Axel Alonso have actively tried to avoid being as strict as Shooter, but they ended up going too far to the other extreme. If Shooter was too strict, then the current editorial is too lenient.
Spider-Man is Peter Parker, not Peter Pan.

Spider-Padre
Avenger
Avenger

Post by Spider-Padre » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:48 pm

I don't think we should imagine that Shooter was merely the victim of bad press, or that we would have loved working for him. He was the author of the truly terrible New Universe idea, and I doubt if he was secretly a swell guy that he would have been so universally hated at the end. You never hear about that level of hostility toward Tom DeFalco or Roy Thomas. My guess, based on Sean Howe's book and other essays I've read, is that he was dealing with a very difficult and dysfunctional bullpen, but he slid into doing to others as he was done to. There are cops who fall into the same mental ditch -- they become super-harsh and overbearing because of the parade of idiots they're forced to deal with every day.

MRstarkiller360
Avenger
Avenger

Post by MRstarkiller360 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:39 pm

So how would Slott react to this list if he saw it on CBR ? I don't want to post it there, because I promised I wouldn't, however I'm genuine curius as to how people over there would react.

Cheesedique
Avenger
Avenger

Post by Cheesedique » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:14 pm

MRstarkiller360 wrote:So how would Slott react to this list if he saw it on CBR ? I don't want to post it there, because I promised I wouldn't, however I'm genuine curius as to how people over there would react.
They would censor, delete, and probably ban anyone who breathed a word about it. Because that's what they do over there.

Timmyb52
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey

Post by Timmyb52 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:57 pm

Cheesedique wrote:
MRstarkiller360 wrote:So how would Slott react to this list if he saw it on CBR ? I don't want to post it there, because I promised I wouldn't, however I'm genuine curius as to how people over there would react.
They would censor, delete, and probably ban anyone who breathed a word about it. Because that's what they do over there.
My sentiments exactly Cheese! They are the protectors of Slott's honor!
[smilie=spidey_lol.gif] [smilie=spidey_thumbs.gif]

Phantom Roxas
Avenger
Avenger

Post by Phantom Roxas » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:02 pm

Cheesedique wrote:
And no one would have any place to point out how certain mods on CBR abuse their power.
Spider-Man is Peter Parker, not Peter Pan.

Cheesedique
Avenger
Avenger

Post by Cheesedique » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:18 pm

MRstarkiller360 wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:52 am
ASM #28 is out so :
102. Why did Peter not use his webs to grab Norman Osborn instead of running after him ?
103. Norman Osborn defeats Peter Parker in hand-to-hand combat when Peter has had extensive training in other martial arts as well as years of expirience
104. Peter Parker faits after being beaten by Osborn but Osborn, after being beaten with a rock by Peter, not only escapes but also runs away from SHIELD
105. Aunt May says that all that they do is clean up the mess that Peter leaves behind
106. Peter throws himself of a castle with Osborn because he got F***ing triggered
107. Peter only remebers that Norman killed Gwen.
  • Hey Peter how about that time where he killed your chield and stole away your aunt ?
    Or how about that time in which Osborn tortured you in order for you to become his new son ?
108. Peter doesn't shot webs at the countess in order to protect Sable when he would be somewhat worried for her sake.
109. Peter didn't win! Others won but he let Osborn escape.
110. Peter doesn't care that his company is in the shambles with bad PR and that they just lost their biggest client.
Spider-Padre wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:40 pm
#111. Peter's suit has a lot of electronic tech, but has no protection from electrical problems, and no back-ups in case of failures (which could happen even during ordinary use). E.g., why doesn't he keep a back-up set of the old mechanical/aerosol web-shooters? What if his fancy electronic web-shooters fritzed out on him in mid-swing? Why aren't his electronic lenses removable and replaceable?
I felt the need to resurrect this thread in light of ASM #790:

#113 - Peter spends the day apologizing to the board of directors over the trash fire that PI became. He then leaves Harry hanging at the building not to foil a crime as Spider-Man, but to go in costume to take selfies with people and play jump rope with neighborhood kids. Because that's what's important at that moment.

Yeah, no wonder PI as ran by Peter was destined for failure.

#114 - Peter decides to let Clash go, despite the fact that he broke into the building to steal back his tech and threatened the city by activating the power source.

MRstarkiller360
Avenger
Avenger

Post by MRstarkiller360 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:15 pm

Good idead Cheese, so here is my controbution to this thread :
115 = Peter slogging in Bobbi's apartment instead of trying to help Harry
116 = Peter deciding to abadon his Peter Parker persona in order to be Spider-Man more instead of fixing his problems
117 = Peter dating Bobbi after the mean spirited joke she pulled off on him in the fridge
118 = Peter not calling out on Robie's BS because they are literally printing a hit piece on Peter. Dayle Bugle you are Fake News!

BD
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by BD » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:38 pm

Why am I just seeing this thread? These are great and so true.
BD
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Spider-Man Crawl Space Webmaster
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Masked Guy
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey

Post by Masked Guy » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:47 pm

I still think Slott's most embarrassing moment writing Spider-Man was when he had him pick a fistfight with Iron Man simply because he didn't like what Tony pointing out that Peter was doing a poor job running Parker Industries (Amazing vol. 4 #13). It's sad when Miles Morales, a 14-year-old, is depicted as being more mature than Peter Parker, a 28-year-old, by trying to break up their battle.

RDMacQ
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Post by RDMacQ » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:03 pm

Why are we forgetting about ASM #789? There's plenty of material there!

#119: Has everyone criticize Peter for "Losing" Parker Industries, with Robbie telling Peter the reason it happened was because he was "In over his head."

Because Peter should have somehow know the evil supervillain who established the company built in a bunch of secret backdoors while he was posing as a robot to one day take down the company. And it really shows how Peter doesn't know how to run a business because good businessmen are able to handle it when someone blows up one of their offices, cuts another one off via a magical forcefield, and assaults the final one with an army of robots and evil henchmen.

Really shows how Peter doesn't know how to run a business...

#120: Has no one- absolutely no one- step in to tell Peter that he did his best, and that it's not his fault, and that there is nothing he should be ashamed of. May not be 100% the truth, but you'd think that at least one person - ONE person- in Peter's supposed "Family" would at least try to be there for him and make him feel better.

BD
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by BD » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:49 am

Can someone make a full list of all 100 so they're easy to read. I'll look through them and I might read them on the podcast. I'd love to see them all in one place.
BD
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Spider-Man Crawl Space Webmaster
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Masked Guy
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey

Post by Masked Guy » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:08 am

Amazing Spider-Man vol. 1 #790:

Peter completely ditches Harry when he's trying to help him settle his business affairs and lawsuits simply because he doesn't want to deal with it. Is it any wonder Harry decided to quit at the end?

RDMacQ
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Post by RDMacQ » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:18 am

Can we make an honorable mention for the absolute hit job that Slott did with MJ's character in ASM #789? Which managed to regress MJ's character all the way back to her vapid, shallow party girl days (Or, as Slott continually likes to insist, the "Real" MJ) in a span of two lines?

Masked Guy
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey

Post by Masked Guy » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:30 am

BD wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:49 am
Can someone make a full list of all 100 so they're easy to read. I'll look through them and I might read them on the podcast. I'd love to see them all in one place.
1. Peter puts a piece of Octavius cybernetic mind-control head-gear on his head without taking any precautions.
2. Peter worries that so many of the bad-guys he's punching being Asians -- while he's in Asia -- is a racist thing to do.
3. The Spidey/Iron Man "fight" in Power Play, with Miles tossing up his hands at their childishness, or their bickering in general for that arc.
4. Peter punching out the monitor with Ezekiel's pre-taped message before releasing Silk from her bunker.
5. Peter playing fast & loose with the "Parker particles" crap and creating the abominable Alpha.
6. ASM #697--instead of going after Kingsley & Philgoblin, Peter just lets them get away.
7. Peter's plan for taking on the Inheritors in Spider-Verse: run away to another dimension, so the space-vampires follow them there and kill all the spiders there.
8. EVERY time Peter has made Otto out to be "basically a good guy" after Otto all but raped his life.
9. Silver Sable coming on to Peter during Ends Of The Earth, and Peter rebuffs her like an asexual 13-year old.
10. Couldn't solve simple math problems such as the speed of the train
11. Shooting his webbing agains the flow of the train
12. Starting a fight against Iron-Man because Iron-Man started to troll Peter
13. Peter treating women like sexual property in Power Play when trying to "steal" Pepper Potts from Tony Stark after Stark has "stolen" MJ from Peter
14. I'll quote what Peter himself has said :

"I have been into your head Otto and I know you're not all bad!"

15. Web Dipers
16. Peter diching on a billion dollars business deal in order to be with Miles
17. Accepting money from a terrorist organization whithout checking them before
18. Accepting that Felicia becoming bad was natural
19. Never trying to resolve his issues with both Felicia and MJ
20. Continuing to run the magic tech company that Otto made, along with keeping the doctorate that Otto got while he raped Peter's life.
21. Letting Sanjani stay employed--after he found out she was up to no good
22. Letting Lien/Lian stay employed, after she tried to kill Spidey for the Zodiac gang.
23. Lets the Green Goblin get away
24. Know Liz Allen is partly responsible for letting the Green Goblin get away, but shrugs it off
25. Has pheromone "urges" around Silk, but decides the best place for someone locked away for ten years, with all the mental trauma that implies, is his apartment where he can freely act on those urges
26. Allows Sajani to continue working at Parker Industries even after he learns she sabotaged the company, then accuses and fires her without proof when sabotage is committed by the Living Brain.
27: Pushes Scorpio through a door into a field of quantum possibilities because helping a super villain achieve his desire is what heroes do-- oh. wait.
28. Johnny Storm is dead. Peter bounds his way into FF headquarters in a makeshift FF/Spidey costume like a jackass.
29. Peter buys the deed to the Baxter Building, and decides to duke it out with Johnny over it instead of giving his friend a heads up.
30. Peter gives the big press conference for his company, but with his fly open.
31. Stating that Peter's "Greatest Sin" was when he was fifteen and didn't stay to comfort Aunt May after Uncle Ben died, completely negating Peter's feelings on the matter and implying that it was wrong for him to have an honest emotional reaction.
32. Associated with the previous point, letting Betty Brant's assailant go despite being mere moments away from catching him to go comfort Betty Brant, leaving the guy free to commit another assault on another person in the full day it takes Peter to track him down again.
33. Being rescued at every turn by another super hero
34. Letting other heroes defeat Peter's villains while Peter is being rescued by said heroes
35. Letting Otto Octavius be Alt Uncle Ben's hero instead of Peter himself by motivating the guy
36. Having Spidey punch out Captain America over having FlashVenom's identity kept from him.
37. Having Spider-Man--that's right, Spider-Man--fighting a b-villain by using a "spider-glider" modeled after the insane guy who threw his girlfriend off of a bridge.
38. Idiot Ghost Peter proclaiming "Wow even I couldn't do that!" at the sight of SpOck blowing off Mary Jane and deciding he has to let her go while life-raping Peter.
39. Having Peter be perfectly fine with MJ walking out of his life and praising Otto for being able to "cut ties" with her, but trying to present Otto's relationship with Anna as a good and noble thing that humanizes him, despite the fact that Otto did the same thing with Anna that Peter was doing with MJ.
40. Having Peter mock Kaine for his "Mother being a test tube," despite the fact that Kaine not only just helped save the city, but is the same type of being as the man Peter once considered his brother.
41. Peter making light of Rhino's grief during Clone Conspiracy, making him look like an insensitive tool.
42. Having Peter blame himself for Otto's "death" at the climax of Superior, lamenting that for him to come back "Someone had to die." That "someone" being the man who stole his life to escape death himself, and had no qualms about leaving Peter to die in his old body.
#43. Peter begging Felicia for sexual intercourse.
#44. Peter ignores his spider-sense even though the octobot is preparing to sting him.
44. Peter "borrowing" his fellow Horizon Lab inventor's work for his use. If he's one of the biggest brains in the Marvel U, why does he need to steal someone else's work (#658)?
45. Ock hacking into and using Peter's Horizon tech during Ends Of The Earth. The first of many, many times in the run Peter is compromised by Ock using his tech against him (#686).
46. Peter NEVER blaiming Otto for taking away his life and shaping said life into someone else's image a la Otto Octavius.
47. Peter Parker doesn't grief over his 27 Clone Brother's appearent death
48. Peter never having a heart to heart talk with Kaine after Kaine came back from the dead
49. Peter being blamed by MJ, Aunt May, Felicia Hardy, Gwen Stacy, Silver Sable and pretty much everybody else for everything wrong in their lives
50. Peter never standing up for himself
51. Slott makes Peter visit a dimension where Peter never existed and everyone is better off whiout him. (Isn't that a slap in the face for the fans and all of the lives that Peter has saved)
51. No One Dies. Look, I thought the two-parter was a good story, but it is indeed a stupid mantra for a character like Spider-Man. Of course he doesn't let anyone die.
52. Having it so that Peter can only show up Carlie Cooper in the spider powers department by having him undergo training with Shang Chi, rather than- you know- his years of experience as a superhero with the same powerset and abilities.
53. Insisting that it was Peter's fault that Carlie broke up with him, because "She could totally handle" his double life.
54. Having the reason Peter didn't tell Carlie be because he wanted her to "Fall in love with Peter Parker, not Spider-Man." This is a double whammy, since it is also a slap in the face to MJ and her relationship with Peter.
55. Stating that Peter's favorite catchphrase, apropos of nothing, is "Crazy Town Banana Pants".
56. Saying that Peter has the mental maturity of a 15 year old
57. Saying that Peter only falls in love with classic beatifull women because of their appearences and not their personalities
58. Slott saying Peter's love for MJ was "anti-Marvel", as if Peter had been violating some unwritten rule by being with her.
59. Peter breaking his nose when he hits a glass door on th way out
60. Peter and MJ laughting their asses off because they are living together again
61. Being punched in the face by Mockingbird easily and feeling pain when Frank Castle tried to do the same and Peter didn't even feel a thing
62. Made Peter look bad for trying to stop Otto (who is in no way a real doctor) from operating on the little girl (you know, the one that was sick from Otto's own global-warming antics in EoTE)
63. Peter fighting Otto in the mindscape, Superior #9--just made Peter look bad and weak throughout--I threw my copy down in disgust.
64. Killing Peter Parker, again, with ease over Otto's orginal body. Taking away all hope of mind Peter wining a fight only to be bested by Otto Octavius.
65. Peter's stupid comment in Vol 4 that he would pay the Goblins fighting in Africa on Norman's payroll to defect.
66. Peter not maneging to find a solution of his own to take down the Goblins but rather a little girl maneges to figure out a solution for him to save the day
67. Creating a Spider-Rocket
68. Launching said Spider-Rocket, IN THE MIDDLE OF A F***ING CITY!
69.) Never fiering Lien/Lian after she tried to kill Peter and worked for a terrorist organization
70. Killing MC2 Peter Parker
71. Saying that Peter might not be so important because everyone else from the multiverse is
72. Getting a Bo*** with Silk after he nearly died after trapping Morlun in a radioactive world
73. Peter having all of his memories back when it was said that Peter only had 31 memories recovered
74. Peter never trying to resolve problems like Silk's pheromones
75. Peter being blamed by the African Tribe for trying to help them out
76. Another of the several-dozen times Peter had to be saved by someone else:

The Horizon Labs chick who blasted Lady Gaga over the loudspeakers to save Peter from goddamned Philgoblin.

77: Peter throws his webware to Scorpio's goons, because giving supervillians what they want is so intelligent.
78: Peter confidently swears he will get the webware back before the encryption is broken. He doesn't.
79: Gazillions of people have their privacy invaded and their data exposed because Peter threw his webware to goons and made an overconfident promise he couldn't deliver on: and Peter. Doesn't. Care. This, by the way, includes Peter's own private date, but hey, so what if a supervillian has access to his secret identity? The only saving grace is Scorpio is even stupider than Peter and never makes use of the info.
80. Peter defies all the laws of physics and logic to somehow jump from a satellite and pinpoint his landing in Paris at the convenient feet of the super villain with only bruises and a torn costume to show for it. Which is supposed to show how smart Peter is (he did all the calculations in his head, doncha know) but since it's so outlandishly ridiculous and has zero relation to any real world as we know it: is incredibly stupid. And as someone else mentioned, is followed up by showing Peter incapable of converting metric measurements to Imperial, so yeah, he's a real math whiz, alright.
81. Peter saying that one of his happiest moment of his life is Max's wedding. Doesn't that feels like an F you to the Marriege Fan coming from Slott ?
82. Having Peter be outclassed by the character Screwball. A character who has no powers, no special abilities or gadgets, or other enhancements, and is just an average human who is "Really good at parkour." And stating that she is apparently "Funnier" than Peter.
83. Having Peter decide to use his abilities for his own benefit during the "Peter Parker Paparazzi" arc. Keep in mind that Peter not using his abilities selfishly or for his own benefit is the first lesson he learned back in ASM #15!
84. Having Peter not question Harry Osborn about coming back from the dead. When Peter finally presses Harry on it, Peter says Harry only "Tapdanced" around him not dying. How does on "tap dance" around coming back from the dead?
85. In New Ways to Die, having Peter throw his chest emblem at Bullseye, which would then attract the hunter-seeker bullets that were being used back at Bullseye. Keep in mind, Bullseye is pretty much an average human without any enhanced durability, and this act could have killed him!
86. Making Spider-Man the company mascot of Parker Industries. Hey Pete, why not paint a big target on the backs of everyone that works for you and their families for your enemies?
87. Copping the "Spider-Man as public bodyguard for Peter Parker" gimmick, so Peter's cheap karaoke version of Iron Man is even more complete.
88. Peter making the "Uncle Ben Foundation" which would make people think it's a non-profit for honoring quick-cooking rice (instead of the decidedly more-dignified "Ben Parker Foundation").
89. Not wanting to fight asians because he thinks that hitting an asian individual is racist.
89. Claimed Peter was responsible for Otto's actions during Superior Spider-Man by arguing that Peter "let" Otto steal his body, and equating it to someone "Leaving a gun lying around."
90. Had Anna Marie lecture Peter on how Otto had "The right idea" about how to combat crime and he needs to be more concerned with larger threats and not so much "minor" crimes. Again, if you are keeping track, this is another instance where Slott himself counters one of the defining principles of Spider-Man, in that there is no such thing as a "minor" crime.
91. Peter Parker became the most annoying and most hated and dispised super hero in the intere super hero community
92. Peter refuses to use Otto's nanomachines, yet Anna Maria commends Otto for making them, and says that if Peter won't use them, then Otto wouldn't have been the only jerk. In other words, Peter trying to distance himself from the man who stole his body and repeatedly tried to kill him actually makes Peter just as bad as that man.
93. Peter decides to have his company invade Symkaria in order to overthrown Norman Osborn
94. Peter decides to not use his Spider-Senses becuase "Everything is dangerous" thus risking other people's life (So much for "No One Dies")
95. Slott equating Peter getting Parker Industries with him getting his spider powers, as in it is something that just "happened" to him and the story is seeing how he deals with it. Forgetting this isn't how stories work, this is also stupid since Slott forgoes the whole notion of Peter running a company and instead spends more time on Peter playing with toys and gadgets and completely avoiding all of his responsibilities AS a CEO.
96: Not really something stupid, but pretty insulting in my eyes. Peter makes a joke about his dead uncle and how the name is exactly the same as a rice mascot during a public speech.
97. Making Otto "Richard Spencer" Octavius right about Peter being a self-rightius twit. Just because you point out a problem with the way you write the main character does not mean that you can get away with the way you write the main character
98. Peter using Parker Industries to invade Symkaria when his company is at it's worst and probably ruining the company by doing so and turning it as well into a terrorist organization in the eyes of SHIELD. Which makes him irresponsible and stupid because he doesn't take into acount all the people that work for his company and might lose their jobs.
99. Peter thinking that Otto and Ben27 Reilly are dead and not listing to Kaine when Kaine thinks and says otherwise
100. Peter making a deal with The Kingpin in order to find Osborn because he needs a win when he just saved the world from Zombie Clone Apocalipse.
101. Peter is a selfish human being because his motivation to invade the country in order to defeat Osborn is not because of his sense of responsibility or their long and traumatic history together but because Peter needs a Win due to the events of Clone Conspiracy!
102. Why did Peter not use his webs to grab Norman Osborn instead of running after him ?
103. Norman Osborn defeats Peter Parker in hand-to-hand combat when Peter has had extensive training in other martial arts as well as years of experience
104. Peter Parker faints after being beaten by Osborn but Osborn, after being beaten with a rock by Peter, not only escapes but also runs away from SHIELD
105. Aunt May says that all that they do is clean up the mess that Peter leaves behind
106. Peter throws himself of a castle with Osborn because he got F***ing triggered
107. Peter only remembers that Norman killed Gwen.
108. Peter doesn't shot webs at the countess in order to protect Sable when he would be somewhat worried for her sake.
109. Peter didn't win! Others won but he let Osborn escape.
110. Peter doesn't care that his company is in the shambles with bad PR and that they just lost their biggest client.
#111. Peter's suit has a lot of electronic tech, but has no protection from electrical problems, and no back-ups in case of failures (which could happen even during ordinary use). E.g., why doesn't he keep a back-up set of the old mechanical/aerosol web-shooters? What if his fancy electronic web-shooters fritzed out on him in mid-swing? Why aren't his electronic lenses removable and replaceable?
#113 - Peter spends the day apologizing to the board of directors over the trash fire that PI became. He then leaves Harry hanging at the building not to foil a crime as Spider-Man, but to go in costume to take selfies with people and play jump rope with neighborhood kids. Because that's what's important at that moment.
#114 - Peter decides to let Clash go, despite the fact that he broke into the building to steal back his tech and threatened the city by activating the power source.
115 = Peter slogging in Bobbi's apartment instead of trying to help Harry
116 = Peter deciding to abadon his Peter Parker persona in order to be Spider-Man more instead of fixing his problems
117 = Peter dating Bobbi after the mean spirited joke she pulled off on him in the fridge
118 = Peter not calling out on Robie's BS because they are literally printing a hit piece on Peter. Dayle Bugle you are Fake News!
#119: Has everyone criticize Peter for "Losing" Parker Industries, with Robbie telling Peter the reason it happened was because he was "In over his head."
#120: Has no one- absolutely no one- step in to tell Peter that he did his best, and that it's not his fault, and that there is nothing he should be ashamed of. May not be 100% the truth, but you'd think that at least one person - ONE person- in Peter's supposed "Family" would at least try to be there for him and make him feel better.
121. Peter completely ditches Harry when he's trying to help him settle his business affairs and lawsuits simply because he doesn't want to deal with it. Is it any wonder Harry decided to quit at the end?