Can You Live With An Unmarried Peter and MJ?

Discuss Spidey's comics, or any other comics that you like.

Moderators: PartyHardy, BD, stillanerd, Spideydude

Timmyb52
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey

Can You Live With An Unmarried Peter and MJ?

Post by Timmyb52 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:29 pm

If OMD is resolved but resulted in an unmarried Peter and MJ who were only in a committed relationship and living together again could you live with that outcome?

John Ossie
Webslinger
Webslinger

Re: Can You Live With An Unmarried Peter and MJ?

Post by John Ossie » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:12 am

Of course I could :D Would I prefer them to be married? Yes. But at least they'd be a couple.

Andrew C
Webslinger
Webslinger

Post by Andrew C » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:13 am

"Live" sounds so dramatic. I've been living with it for a decade.

Sure, I can live with it. Will I be satisfied? Hell no.

Cheesedique
Avenger
Avenger

Post by Cheesedique » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:34 pm

Andrew C wrote:"Live" sounds so dramatic. I've been living with it for a decade.

Sure, I can live with it. Will I be satisfied? Hell no.
This. I'm more pissed that OMD has never been properly addressed, and that Peter is portrayed as flighty idiot now in his book.

I'd be fine with them fixing OMD, and have Peter & MJ just be a couple.

Timmyb52
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey

Post by Timmyb52 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:40 pm

If Marvel goes this route it will also go to great strides at reunifying the fanbase,gives everyone what they want, with Marvel getting to flush their account with truckloads of cash...plus, who is to say what the future could bring after that? Maybe sometime down the road an EIC,or writer will want to remarry Peter and MJ! As long as we can get a recognizable Peter/Spidey again with his classic supporting cast, with MJ as his main confidant and moral support in a recommitted relationship I will be very happy and once again buying the title after so many years.
:D

Thrawn
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Post by Thrawn » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:55 am

No.
"now face off in the most brutal of combats...fighting vicariously through fictional characters. Tremble, mortals." - Shang Chi
ImageImage

Phantom Roxas
Avenger
Avenger

Post by Phantom Roxas » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:48 am

Just as long as Mephisto is defeated and the deal is shown to be wrong, I'm fine with it somehow leaving Peter and MJ unmarried. Slott's lying about how the marriage totally can't come back at all over, so I'll believe the door would be open for the marriage to come back.
Spider-Man is Peter Parker, not Peter Pan.

Spider-Padre
Avenger
Avenger

Post by Spider-Padre » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:48 am

The current scenario seems to be Dan Slott versus the MCU + market forces. MCU has a new Spider-Man movie coming out, in which a new Mary Jane will be heavily featured. DC surprises by abandoning its failed New52 revisionism, and returns nearly all its characters (and over-all tone) back to a brighter time. In eight years, the total number of new romantic love-interests for Peter that have captured fan enthusiasm = "zero."

Marvel could easily put MJ and Peter back together, and just treat them from then on as if they're married. Or have them be "cosmically" married, whatever that might be. Or have it revealed that they were never not married -- the whole thing's been a con by Mephisto. This third option involves the least amount of tortured comic-booky undoing.

When will Marvel get it through their thick heads that the customers, not them, will decide if or when it's time for MJ to move on? And by "customers", I don't mean a few MJ-haters on CBR. Even though I don't expect that to happen.

MJ is to Peter what Lois Lane is to Clark. Marvel's denials of that is them spitting into the wind. In the end, the customers always win. They're just lucky they did this with ASM, which at this point in history is armor-plated. The stupidity of OMD would have crashed a less-established product.

Chase the Blues Away
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey

Post by Chase the Blues Away » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:10 pm

I can easily live with an unmarried Peter and MJ.

I still fail to understand how the Marvel PTB in all their infinite...something...decided to take MJ out of the book. Fine, get rid of the marriage.

But Peter and MJ as a couple just WORKS. It's a relationship that has evolved organically. They make great foils for each other. And MJ keeps Peter grounded in the everyday, human world.

I find it terribly ironic, if not wholly expected, for Slott to be so vehemently against a committed relationship with MJ as "off brand" when Slott has pretty much broken the brand by making Peter a billionaire airhead who didn't earn his company or his money and who dates his employees (which most companies frown upon because the power in the relationship is so unbalanced, it can be construed as sexual harassment) and superheroes.

Spider-Padre
Avenger
Avenger

Post by Spider-Padre » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:59 pm

They did it because they're the ones who were bored with MJ. The buying public wasn't. They were.

Then they made up a whole stream of rubbish about all the "objective" reasons why it "had" to happen. They couldn't openly say, "We did it because we''re just bored with MJ" because that would be too obviously self-centered, and indefensible. So they used comic-book fan sites to preach their fake reasons.

Big Al
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Post by Big Al » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:22 pm

Spider-Padre wrote:They did it because they're the ones who were bored with MJ. The buying public wasn't. They were.

Then they made up a whole stream of rubbish about all the "objective" reasons why it "had" to happen. They couldn't openly say, "We did it because we''re just bored with MJ" because that would be too obviously self-centered, and indefensible. So they used comic-book fan sites to preach their fake reasons.
i don't even know if they were bored so much as they were fanboys with sticks up their asses and thier own ships to ship/they hated Mary jane because

a) SHE MADE HARRY A DRUG ADDICT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

b) She wasn't Gwen
Delta House Member Gimli

https://40.media.tumblr.com/2e65cb18213b8d4bf704dca08169e49c/tumblr_nz9jrqvyRA1she6m6o1_400.jpg

"The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the water spout. Down came the Goblin and took the spider out. "

Joey Z was F.A.C.A.D.E.

THIS: http://hellzyeahthewebwieldingavenger.tumblr.com/post/77268781356/the-debate-norman-osborn-vs-otto-octavius-who-is-the

My secret identity is: Ubertestosterone90sArnieAvenger....-Man

MisterMets
Avenger
Avenger

Post by MisterMets » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:10 am

The answer for me is pretty obviously yes.

Masked Guy
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey

Post by Masked Guy » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:23 pm

Yes I could. Peter and Mary Jane have too great a dynamic and too much history to not be together. I would prefer them being married, but Renew Your Vows has that covered. At this point, it's long past due for a romantic reconciliation between the two, especially in light of all of the other failed love interests since their break up.
Last edited by Masked Guy on Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spider-Dad
Avenger
Avenger

Post by Spider-Dad » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:52 pm

The answer for me is a resounding NO. I tried the new format for approx. 50 issues, but OMD and Bland New Verse combined made me drop ASM. I stayed on Ultimate, and I do enjoy Renew Your Vows, but I stay away from ASM.

The good news is, the Slott run is super cheap on back issues. So when he leaves the book, I will celebrate by closing the gap on all the back issues at half the cover price... :twisted:
Spider-Dad
Delta House Member - "Snapper"