The Current Issue discussion thread.

Discuss Spidey's comics, or any other comics that you like.

Moderators: PartyHardy, BD, stillanerd, Spideydude

RDMacQ
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Re: The Current Issue discussion thread.

Post by RDMacQ » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:19 am

Frontier wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:39 pm
Remember when Aunt May was so gung-ho about Peter getting with Mary Jane, even when he was dating Betty? At this point I'm not unconvinced she'll just accept any girl for Peter as long as she's nice enough and it gets her grandkids...which is kind of ironic given most AU's have her dead by the time Peter and Mary Jane actually have kids :shock: .
Which once again shows how little Slott understands the characters, since that has never been Aunt May's characterization.

Also, PETER CAN'T GIVE MAY GRANDKIDS! HE'S NOT HER SON!!! HE'S HER NEPHEW!!!

How is this a hard thing to miss? It's in her friggin' name!!!
I'm not sure how long Peter and Bobbi are here to stay since he seems to be getting on her nerves the more they're together and he's still stuck on the couch. Mockingbird feels like Felicia if she was an out-and-out hero and generally got more exasperated then amused by Spidey's antics. Though I guess Peter was Felicia's straight-man while Bobbi is Peter's.
I thought that they'd be done with by the end of this issue, but I guess not. Seems like "Fall of Parker" was all about Peter getting a job.

Whoopee!

And you know in typical Slott fashion what is set up will not be the thing that tears them apart. Peter may be getting on Bobbi's nerves, but I can bet when the time comes to break them apart, what we'll get is Peter doing something completely random- like go help Carlie Cooper or go on a "Date" with her, or somesuch nonsense, since apparently she's coming back for no discernible reason- and Bobbi will kick Peter out of her place and break up with him, and declare that it is his fault.

Or she'll get a job elsewhere, and Peter won't want to relocate, and he'll be made into the bad guy for not wanting to move to an entirely new city to be with his girlfriend.

Trust me, there is no way that this relationship will end in any way other than Peter looking like a complete scumbag.
Somehow I can't help but think this whole Alchemax storyline is going to build up to the return of OsCorp somehow. I mean, Harry's now working for the company, Liz was shown to be working with Norman in the past, and the blood of a Goblin kid is involved...
Probably. And it will likely tie into that "Family" thing that I theorized a while back, that the "Spider-Man Event of 2018" will be about Peter's "Family" facing off against Norman's "Family."

Heck, I guess that is what January's issue is going to be about. Slott said that retailers didn't order enough of that issue, and he couldn't tell them what the big deal was going to be, so I can definitely see him thinking that the "Return of Oscorp" is going to be the thing that ignites the interest of the fanbase.

Rather than, you know, stuff we've actually been asking for them to do for several years now.

ChiTownSpidey
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Post by ChiTownSpidey » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:30 am

Read the latest ASM

Didn't like it. It just seemed too forced. Slott had supporting character as background noise saying what fans would actually say to Peter. "You just tanked PI, and you suddenly have a job at the Bugle, bounced back right away."

NO. He's so out of character. Spider-Man is all about responsibility and he's acting so irresponsibility. It's. Just. Not. RIGHT.

I love the panel where Peter thinks it's one of his enemies, where it turns out to be Thor. He's baffled! We're not, why have him fighting his bad guys by himself when we have the WHOLE Marvel Universe that can come in and join in his OWN DAMN BOOK!

Mockingbird and Spider-Man. Cute, like it was with Black Cat, but it's Peter and Mary Jane, not this...whatever it is.

Cheesedique
Avenger
Avenger

Post by Cheesedique » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:50 pm

ASM #791:

Opening: man, I wondered if I had the right issue for a second. The Spidey/Mockingbird fighting a street gang thing is already quite played out in this series.

There's the awkward scene with Manchild Peter choosing to sleep on the couch instead of with Bobbi. Does he think girls have cooties?

I see slott's replaced Sanjani with another rude, antagonistic-towards-Peter character. This one is named Ruby.

Horizon Labs. Parker Industries. NewU. The Regent's company. Now it's Humanitech, the latest in a long line of magic tech companies that act as a story engine for slott-plots. Man, slott sure likes going to this story well again and again, doesn't he?

slott had to give a nod and a wink to the portmanteau of "Spockingbird". More lampshading also when May tells Peter he's "backsliding" to the Bugle.

Self-conscious gesture to gender identity politics (Bobbi bantering about the gender of Sandstorm)? Check.

All that said, this wasn't a BAD issue per se. Just feels like it's treading water though until the next big change. Peter has another convenient job to get him close to the action of the week. Bobbi has a convenient job at the latest cliche magic science company that serves as a story engine. On one hand, it's largely unoffensive, run of the mill and readable. On the other, it's overly-familiar and somewhat lazy that we're getting the same retread of past stories by slott, over and over.

I give this issue a C. Way better than the last two issues, but reads like a rerun from the writer's overlong tenure on the title. ASM is badly in need of creative shakeup.

Spec Spider-Man #297: This is more like it.

Kubert's layouts are outstanding, and I got a real Batman: Year One / David Mazuchelli vibe from some of Kubert's art choices, particularly when Peter's bashing his way down the floors of the apartment, and when he scatters the commando dudes that are after him.

I'm not completely sold on the Jonah knowing Peter's identity, and even helping him here. But it's not a bad change of pace.

Spec is improving a lot, and this was possibly the best issue I've read yet. It does seem very much at odds with what's going on in ASM though. Doesn't seem to be much synergy between the titles (why am I not surprised?). B

BlackSuit
Webslinger
Webslinger

Post by BlackSuit » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:57 pm

► Show Spoiler
Well, I didn't tough this one was that bad, it has problems, but it portrays Peter in a better light showing him able to get an exclusive visit in a new tech product industry, he detected something wrong in there, went to check things and solved the problem, he also made Bobbi look bad in comparison to him with all that nonsensical feminist talk and making her lose the job and Peter be the breadwinner. That was an issue where Peter looked good for most part, mainly in the end. The art was pretty good.

However, I can see how it can be a letdown as well, little did happen in this and in the last three issues. Peter didn't focused in his personal life in the slightest, he still in a pretty boring relationship with Bobbi, the franchise really need new blood.

ChiTownSpidey
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Post by ChiTownSpidey » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:18 pm

RDMacQ wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:19 am
Also, PETER CAN'T GIVE MAY GRANDKIDS! HE'S NOT HER SON!!! HE'S HER NEPHEW!!!

How is this a hard thing to miss? It's in her friggin' name!!!
May raised Peter when he was a boy. Peter considers her his "mother" because of all she and Ben have done for them. May does consider Peter her "son", because she was the one that raised him. Even though "Aunt" May and "My Nephew" are thrown out there to keep it technical, they both know that May wants Peter to have kids so she can have "grandkids".

stillanerd
Administrator
Administrator

Post by stillanerd » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:28 pm

While I don't think Amazing Spider-Man #791 was terrible, it was all right much to write home about. What gets me is how the issue tries to make the case for how Peter returning to the Daily Bugle is somehow fresh and new just because he's not working there as a photographer. Also, that one panel with Mockingbird? Was that meant to be serious or a parody?

Stillanerd Reviews: Amazing Spider-Man #791 review
--Mike McNulty, aka Stillanerd

Delta House Member "Badger"

Mike McNulty, a.k.a. Stillanerd. Contributor for Bam Smack Pow!
Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

"You know what I hate? Country Music! I don't know what country it's from, but it sure as hell ain't mine!" --from MAD TV

Facebook (a.k.a. my secret identity)

John Ossie
Webslinger
Webslinger

Post by John Ossie » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:16 pm

Good review as always Stillanerd, the only problem is that since dropping the book I can't agree or disagree with your overall assessment as I haven't read it :lol: but still, good review. :)

Masked Guy
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey

Post by Masked Guy » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:29 pm

BlackSuit wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:57 pm
► Show Spoiler
Well, I didn't tough this one was that bad, it has problems, but it portrays Peter in a better light showing him able to get an exclusive visit in a new tech product industry, he detected something wrong in there, went to check things and solved the problem, he also made Bobbi look bad in comparison to him with all that nonsensical feminist talk and making her lose the job and Peter be the breadwinner. That was an issue where Peter looked good for most part, mainly in the end. The art was pretty good.

However, I can see how it can be a letdown as well, little did happen in this and in the last three issues. Peter didn't focused in his personal life in the slightest, he still in a pretty boring relationship with Bobbi, the franchise really need new blood.
Well like I said, this issue wasn't terrible, just boring and unmemorable. I mostly attribute this to Slott having been on the book for far too long and running out of creative juice.

Spider-Padre
Avenger
Avenger

Post by Spider-Padre » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:06 pm

I could go with it if they depicted Bobbi's feminism as sincere but "comically extreme" at times. Anyone recall the old sitcom Barney Miller? Characters were always coming into the squad room who were kind of odd-ball, but ultimately lovable or at least sympathetic. That's what comes to my mind. Being a wee bit too much about herself would actually set her off as distinctive. Problem is, I think Marvel wants her to be taken seriously.

stillanerd
Administrator
Administrator

Post by stillanerd » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:16 pm

John Ossie wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:16 pm
Good review as always Stillanerd, the only problem is that since dropping the book I can't agree or disagree with your overall assessment as I haven't read it :lol: but still, good review. :)
Thank you very much, my good sir! [smilie=spidey_thumbs.gif]
Spider-Padre wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:06 pm
I could go with it if they depicted Bobbi's feminism as sincere but "comically extreme" at times. Anyone recall the old sitcom Barney Miller? Characters were always coming into the squad room who were kind of odd-ball, but ultimately lovable or at least sympathetic. That's what comes to my mind. Being a wee bit too much about herself would actually set her off as distinctive. Problem is, I think Marvel wants her to be taken seriously.
I'm kind of leaning towards the notion that maybe that's what Slott was going for with Bobbi, that maybe she over reads situations when it comes to feminism, equality, and social justice. But at the same time, the way that one panel is constructed, with her looking directly at the reader while saying it, you're totally confused over whether this is supposed to be tongue-in-cheek or not. I mean, is Slott gently poking fun at Chelesa Cain's portrayal of Mockingbird during her solo series, or is he trying to honor that portrayal?
--Mike McNulty, aka Stillanerd

Delta House Member "Badger"

Mike McNulty, a.k.a. Stillanerd. Contributor for Bam Smack Pow!
Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

"You know what I hate? Country Music! I don't know what country it's from, but it sure as hell ain't mine!" --from MAD TV

Facebook (a.k.a. my secret identity)

ChiTownSpidey
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Post by ChiTownSpidey » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:45 pm

stillanerd wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:16 pm
I mean, is Slott gently poking fun at Chelesa Cain's portrayal of Mockingbird during her solo series, or is he trying to honor that portrayal?
My money's on both. Slott can be crafty sneaky ninja like that...

RDMacQ
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Post by RDMacQ » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:35 pm

stillanerd wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:28 pm
While I don't think Amazing Spider-Man #791 was terrible, it was all right much to write home about. What gets me is how the issue tries to make the case for how Peter returning to the Daily Bugle is somehow fresh and new just because he's not working there as a photographer. Also, that one panel with Mockingbird? Was that meant to be serious or a parody?

Stillanerd Reviews: Amazing Spider-Man #791 review
I'm just amazed that all the past three issues amounted to was "Peter gets a job."

But I guess "The New Position of Parker" is less of a title grab than "Fall of Parker."

Given how little actually happened in this arc, it kind of further fuels my theory that Legacy was just a stop gap measure between the end of Alonso's tenure and Cebulski's start as EIC. Nothing really moves forward in a significant way, so it's easier to shift gears if and when Cebulski talks to the creative teams and lets them know the direction he wants them to go in.

Timmyb52
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey

Post by Timmyb52 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:46 pm

Masked Guy wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:03 am
Timmyb52 wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:40 pm
One thing I could always at least thank Slott for was that he used to keep the political commentary out of his books and keep it on his Twitter and Facebook posts to a large extent and now he seems to be wanting to push 4th wave feminism propaganda. While reading the issue at my LCS I got to that part with Mockingbirds gender comments and never finished the issue. I'm really just tired of having Marvel preach to me...I just want a good story to read without all the biased political commentary interjected into it month after month.Marvel please stop...you aren't convincing people to become Far-Left liberals ! And IMHO that seems to be Marvel's primary objective...to convert all of its readership to adopt Far-Left political ideology.
:roll:
This constant political preaching is a big reason Marvel's sales are so poor lately.
Yes..I fully agree with you Masked Guy, and the new EIC gets it...which tells me we will most likely see him laying the law down on the Marvel writers who keep putting this stuff in the stories because he said that Marvel is going to ease up big time on it under his watch and get back to focusing more on story telling and characterization.
:D

Spider-Padre
Avenger
Avenger

Post by Spider-Padre » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:50 am

To really diversify, Marvel needs to have some moderates as writers. A leopard can't change its own spots, so guys like Nick Spencer are still going to think whatever it is that they think. But Marvel could hire a few moderate ocelots and bobcats, to even-out the leopards.( I don't mean weirdo pro-Trumpers).

MRstarkiller360
Avenger
Avenger

Post by MRstarkiller360 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:33 pm

I just read ASM and SSM. And I have to say that I agree with everything that you guys said.
ASM was a bland issue that wasn't good nor bad, it was just another humorless ASM book that desperatly needs a new writer. (Boy am I worried for Black Cat in Venom INC)
SSM was a different issue. Boy do I think that Chip took some of the criticism to heart due to the previus issues. I don't think anyone here could say that this was written by the same writer who gave us SSM #1-3.

ASM = D+
SSM = B-