The Current Issue discussion thread.

Discuss Spidey's comics, or any other comics that you like.

Moderators: PartyHardy, BD, stillanerd, Spideydude

Timmyb52
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey

Re: The Current Issue discussion thread.

Post by Timmyb52 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:00 pm

Big Al wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:26 am

Does the reveal itself though and the illogic of it not thereby compromise the quality overall though?
Yes...to a certain point, but not overall IMHO.
The reveal to Jonah was really the only aspect that took me out of the comic...but as a whole it was a solid issue.
As RD mentioned concerning Marvel turning away from a loser,young manchild Spiderman portrayal to a more mature character...I think that is what we are seeing.
I don't want to get my hopes up too high that this is what is happening since Marvel has a tendency to let the fans down time after time.
However, if the recent issue of Spectacular is any indication that Marvel is indeed attempting to right their ship in regards to their books and current bad image then I think this whole Jonah reveal might lead us back to a OMD resolution. The reveal to Jonah seems odd in that it didn't have any build up at all...it was all done quite suddenly which tells me that this is the beginning to a new direction and arc which may deal with some of the issues fans have been having with the character these past 10 years.
If Marvel makes the mistake of cheapening this reveal to Jonah it will not bode well for the company nor it's bottom line. It's time for Marvel to stop playing the political correctness game,the shady sales gimmicks,the bad story lines and bad characterization of its most popular characters and return to good story telling and artwork. Marvel has to get back to focusing on what made it great in the first place and just stop with all the other nonsense they have been engaged in these past 4 years.
In conclusion...Spectacular # 6 is far from perfect, but it is a sign that maybe Marvel has finally learned it's lesson and will now start listening to the fans and giving them characters and stories they want to see and read.
Time will tell my friends.

ChiTownSpidey
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Post by ChiTownSpidey » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:20 pm

PP: Spec Spider-Man #6

I did not like it. I tried and wanted to give it a chance, but the whole conversation between him and Jonah had no soul. No purpose where there should have been. Take the reveal of Aunt May during the JMS run. He actually set that up before the big talk issue. THAT had purpose. THAT, you felt something. All I saw in this issue was "Kay, wonder will this lead." instead of "WOW!!! HOW WILL THIS TURN OUT!".

ALSO...I may be speaking in the wrong time zone for this, but in Civil War when Spider-Man revealed his ID to the world, that made headlines in our world. Nothing to this affect happened for the issue where you think it should. Only comic book centric new sites would report something.

That's just my opinion though. This issue was "blah" to me.

Timmyb52
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey

Post by Timmyb52 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:29 pm

ChiTownSpidey wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:20 pm
PP: Spec Spider-Man #6

I did not like it. I tried and wanted to give it a chance, but the whole conversation between him and Jonah had no soul. No purpose where there should have been. Take the reveal of Aunt May during the JMS run. He actually set that up before the big talk issue. THAT had purpose. THAT, you felt something. All I saw in this issue was "Kay, wonder will this lead." instead of "WOW!!! HOW WILL THIS TURN OUT!".

ALSO...I may be speaking in the wrong time zone for this, but in Civil War when Spider-Man revealed his ID to the world, that made headlines in our world. Nothing to this affect happened for the issue where you think it should. Only comic book centric new sites would report something.

That's just my opinion though. This issue was "blah" to me.
I agree...this Jonah reveal could have come off a lot better if it had some build up behind it. This scramble to have something "big" happen really does come across as desperate and cheap in a lot of ways. I just hope Marvel has a good story arc planned to back this reveal to Jonah up in forth-coming issues or else Marvel could just end up turning even more people away from the character.
I just want to see Marvel get back to good characterization and good story telling again...is that too much to ask for?

ChiTownSpidey
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Post by ChiTownSpidey » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:33 am

Timmyb52 wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:29 pm
I just want to see Marvel get back to good characterization and good story telling again...is that too much to ask for?
Agreed, in the meantime we have ASM: RYV which I have liked since the start. Be nice to have our ice-cream with our cake though.

Masked Guy
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey

Post by Masked Guy » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:32 am

WARNING: SPOILERS BELOW

My thoughts on AMAZING SPIDER-MAN vol. 1 #791:

Well...at least this issue wasn't as painful as the previous two. I'm not really sure what to say about this one because nothing really sticks out about it. It wasn't awful, just dull and forgettable.

Peter Parker working as a science reporter for the Daily Bugle is...fine. Not a whole lot has been done with this new occupation yet so I can't comment too much on it. For now, I'll just wait and see where this goes.

Peter's relationship with Bobbi Morse is...okay. They don't share that much chemistry, but they aren't insufferable together either. Some of the feminist comments (namely Spider-Man and Mockingbird's brief exchange about Quicksand's gender) were pretty unsubtle and a little annoying, but that's pretty typical for a current Marvel comic.

The main plot with the immoral tech corporation using Quicksand's brainwaves for their machines was...meh. It was a very basic and generic plot, but it wasn't completely stupid or poorly written like past issues, so there's that.

The artwork was good...mostly. There were a few panels where the facial expressions looked very odd and distracting, but it was passable for the most part.

Overall, a very bland and unremarkable comic. The sad part is that it's arguably the best issue AMAZING SPIDER-MAN has seen in months due to the low bar Dan Slott has set and continues to set for this title.

GRADE: C-

EDIT: Upon further introspection, I'm considering dropping the grade down to a "D+" due to Bobbi's cringe-inducing feminist comments. They were so forced and distracting that I actually rolled my eyes after reading them.
Last edited by Masked Guy on Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Masked Guy
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey

Post by Masked Guy » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:18 am

My thoughts on SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN vol. 1 #297:

Another surprisingly good issue. I feel as if Chip Zdarsky has finally found his footing on this title.

The opening with Peter Parker fleeing from the authorities was suitably tense and gripping. That sequence of him punching down through all of the floors to reach the ground level was especially great.

J. Jonah Jameson rescuing Spider-Man was also a surprise and a good one at that. I didn't expect Johan to appear again so soon but I'm glad he did. There's a lot of really great material to be mined from his newfound knowledge of Spidey's identity, so I'm quite excited to see where this leads.

The ending with Peter surrendering himself to the authorities certainly wasn't unexpected due to the constant advertisements of Spidey in prison, but I'm still eager to see the outcome of this plot line regardless.

The artwork is also a big step up from previous issues, looking far better than it has been for awhile now.

Overall, it's remarkable what Zdarsky can do when he isn't forcing unfunny jokes on every other page. I feel as though he has taken people's criticisms to heart and really stepped up his game these past two issues. This may have been a pretty basic issue plot-wise, but it was very enjoyable nonetheless.

GRADE: B+

RDMacQ
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Post by RDMacQ » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:42 pm

Masked Guy wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:32 am

Well...at least this issue wasn't as painful as the previous two. I'm not really sure what to say about this one because nothing really sticks out about it. It wasn't awful, just dull and forgettable.

Peter Parker working as a science reporter for the Daily Bugle is...fine. Not a whole lot has been done with this new occupation yet so I can't comment too much on it. For now, I'll just wait and see where this goes.

Peter's relationship with Bobbi Morse is...okay. They don't share that much chemistry, but they aren't insufferable together either. Some of the feminist comments (namely Spider-Man and Mockingbird's brief exchange about Quicksand's gender) were pretty unsubtle and a little annoying, but that's pretty typical for a current Marvel comic.

The main plot with the immoral tech corporation using Quicksand's brainwaves for their machines was...meh. It was a very basic and generic plot, but it wasn't completely stupid or poorly written like past issues, so there's that.

The artwork was good...mostly. There were a few panels where the facial expressions looked very odd and distracting, but it was passable for the most part.

Overall, a very bland and unremarkable comic. The sad part is that it's arguably the best issue AMAZING SPIDER-MAN has seen in months due to the low bar Dan Slott has set and continues to set for this title.

EDIT: Upon further introspection, I'm considering dropping the grade down to a "D+" due to Bobbi's cringe-inducing feminist comments. They were so forced and distracting that I actually rolled my eyes after reading them.
It's kind of amazing just how little actually got accomplished in this "Fall of Parker" arc.

Peter and Harry got new jobs. And everyone is pissed at Peter.

But since the supporting cast was nonexistent in the books save for Saint Anna Marie Marconi, how is this any different than business as usual for Slott's take on Spider-Man?

Masked Guy
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey

Post by Masked Guy » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:40 pm

RDMacQ wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:42 pm
Masked Guy wrote:

It's kind of amazing just how little actually got accomplished in this "Fall of Parker" arc.

But since the supporting cast was nonexistent in the books save for Saint Anna Marie Marconi, how is this any different than business as usual for Slott's take on Spider-Man?
Yeah, The Fall of Parker really seems to have amounted to nothing. It was supposed to be a fresh start for the character as well as a jumping on point for readers, but it utterly failed to provide anything of interest. And speaking of Anna Maria, where did she go?

RDMacQ
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Post by RDMacQ » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:42 pm

Masked Guy wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:40 pm
Yeah, The Fall of Parker really seems to have amounted to nothing. It was supposed to be a fresh start for the character as well as a jumping on point for readers, but it utterly failed to provide anything of interest. And speaking of Anna Maria, where did she go?
I wouldn't be surprised if she's been dropped from the series entirely.

I don't expect it, but I wouldn't rule it out.

251stormbringer
Webslinger
Webslinger

Post by 251stormbringer » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:48 pm

Masked Guy wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:40 pm
RDMacQ wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:42 pm
Masked Guy wrote:

ASM has been in a time loop for the past decade. Nothing really matters because the sacred status quo must always be maintained,so actually doing anything of interest is impossible. The best thing ASM did (along with the best selling) was the RYV mini,which did the exact opposite of everything the book had been doing for several years.

RDMacQ
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Post by RDMacQ » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:52 pm

251stormbringer wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:48 pm
ASM has been in a time loop for the past decade. Nothing really matters because the sacred status quo must always be maintained,so actually doing anything of interest is impossible. The best thing ASM did (along with the best selling) was the RYV mini,which did the exact opposite of everything the book had been doing for several years.
Well, it's hardly like anything has changed. Peter losing Parker Industries, I think we can admit, is a big change.

The problem is that these last three issues really haven't made much of a case for anyone to stick around if they weren't already buying. As I said, Peter's got a new job, everyone is mad at him, his new girlfriend isn't really lighting the fires of the fanbase and everyone is expecting it to end, and his new "Status quo" don't seem to be all that interesting.

A lot can be packed into three issues. But this past final arc just seems to just be a lot of padding and not much else.

251stormbringer
Webslinger
Webslinger

Post by 251stormbringer » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:01 pm

RDMacQ wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:52 pm
251stormbringer wrote:
Well, it's hardly like anything has changed. Peter losing Parker Industries, I think we can admit, is a big change.

The problem is that these last three issues really haven't made much of a case for anyone to stick around if they weren't already buying. As I said, Peter's got a new job, everyone is mad at him, his new girlfriend isn't really lighting the fires of the fanbase and everyone is expecting it to end, and his new "Status quo" don't seem to be all that interesting.

A lot can be packed into three issues. But this past final arc just seems to just be a lot of padding and not much else.
It is a change, but it's also resetting things back to a BND-like status quo. He started the storyline broke and jobless,and is in yet another dead end relationship. Parker Industries was a waste of time like all the stories have been in the BND era(not that it wasn't a terrible direction for the character anyway). The last decade of ASM could be retconned out of existence,and absolutely nothing would be lost,because it all feels so unimportant.

Frontier
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey

Post by Frontier » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:39 pm

I feel like Immonen's art is carrying, like, 60% of this book.

Robbie and his unsubtle favoritism :P .

I get that Bobbi's a feminist and started the whole "feminist agenda" thing, and I respect that, but some of her comments did kind of come across as being a little unnecessarily obnoxious about it (granted, characters in Slott comics are as subtle as a sledgehammer) :roll: .

Remember when Aunt May was so gung-ho about Peter getting with Mary Jane, even when he was dating Betty? At this point I'm not unconvinced she'll just accept any girl for Peter as long as she's nice enough and it gets her grandkids...which is kind of ironic given most AU's have her dead by the time Peter and Mary Jane actually have kids :shock: .

I'm not sure how long Peter and Bobbi are here to stay since he seems to be getting on her nerves the more they're together and he's still stuck on the couch. Mockingbird feels like Felicia if she was an out-and-out hero and generally got more exasperated then amused by Spidey's antics. Though I guess Peter was Felicia's straight-man while Bobbi is Peter's.

Somehow I can't help but think this whole Alchemax storyline is going to build up to the return of OsCorp somehow. I mean, Harry's now working for the company, Liz was shown to be working with Norman in the past, and the blood of a Goblin kid is involved...

Timmyb52
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey

Post by Timmyb52 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:40 pm

Masked Guy wrote:

One thing I could always at least thank Slott for was that he used to keep the political commentary out of his books and keep it on his Twitter and Facebook posts to a large extent and now he seems to be wanting to push 4th wave feminism propaganda. While reading the issue at my LCS I got to that part with Mockingbirds gender comments and never finished the issue. I'm really just tired of having Marvel preach to me...I just want a good story to read without all the biased political commentary interjected into it month after month.Marvel please stop...you aren't convincing people to become Far-Left liberals ! And IMHO that seems to be Marvel's primary objective...to convert all of its readership to adopt Far-Left political ideology.
:roll:

Masked Guy
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey

Post by Masked Guy » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:03 am

251stormbringer wrote:
As far as I'm concerned, the two best Spider-Man stories of the decade are Death of Spider-Man and Renew Your Vows; neither of which take place in the 616 continuity. That is very telling to me.
Frontier wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:39 pm
I feel like Immonen's art is carrying, like, 60% of this book.
And I would completely agree with you on that. Immonen's artwork has consistently been the best part of these past several issues.

Robbie and his unsubtle favoritism :P .
Frontier wrote:
I get that Bobbi's a feminist and started the whole "feminist agenda" thing, and I respect that, but some of her comments did kind of come across as being a little unnecessarily obnoxious about it (granted, characters in Slott comics are as subtle as a sledgehammer) :roll: .
I'm honestly not sure if Slott knows how to use subtlety in his writing. This isn't meant as some kind of insult towards him, I just really don't think he can handle subtlety.
Frontier wrote:
Remember when Aunt May was so gung-ho about Peter getting with Mary Jane, even when he was dating Betty? At this point I'm not unconvinced she'll just accept any girl for Peter as long as she's nice enough and it gets her grandkids...which is kind of ironic given most AU's have her dead by the time Peter and Mary Jane actually have kids :shock: .
Yeah, Aunt May seemingly giving up on Mary Jane doesn't seem in character for her considering she has always hoped the two of them would end up together. But hey, characters aren't allowed to act like themselves if the events of One More Day are to remain in effect.
Frontier wrote:
I'm not sure how long Peter and Bobbi are here to stay since he seems to be getting on her nerves the more they're together and he's still stuck on the couch. Mockingbird feels like Felicia if she was an out-and-out hero and generally got more exasperated then amused by Spidey's antics. Though I guess Peter was Felicia's straight-man while Bobbi is Peter's.
I'll be quite surprised if Peter and Bobbi's relationship lasts more than a few months. I doubt she will be different than any other post-Mary Jane love interest.
Frontier wrote:
Somehow I can't help but think this whole Alchemax storyline is going to build up to the return of OsCorp somehow. I mean, Harry's now working for the company, Liz was shown to be working with Norman in the past, and the blood of a Goblin kid is involved...
I completely forgot to mention that subplot during my write up. Probably because I have such little interest in it.
Timmyb52 wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:40 pm
One thing I could always at least thank Slott for was that he used to keep the political commentary out of his books and keep it on his Twitter and Facebook posts to a large extent and now he seems to be wanting to push 4th wave feminism propaganda. While reading the issue at my LCS I got to that part with Mockingbirds gender comments and never finished the issue. I'm really just tired of having Marvel preach to me...I just want a good story to read without all the biased political commentary interjected into it month after month.Marvel please stop...you aren't convincing people to become Far-Left liberals ! And IMHO that seems to be Marvel's primary objective...to convert all of its readership to adopt Far-Left political ideology.
:roll:
This constant political preaching is a big reason Marvel's sales are so poor lately.