The Current Issue discussion thread.

Discuss Spidey's comics, or any other comics that you like.

Moderators: PartyHardy, BD, stillanerd, Spideydude

251stormbringer
Webslinger
Webslinger

Re: The Current Issue discussion thread.

Post by 251stormbringer » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:51 pm

Cheesedique wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:38 pm
251stormbringer wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:29 pm
Try as he may...Slott will never be able to drum much excitement for ASM. OMD broke the book...because not only did it break up a popular decades old relationship, it set in stone that nothing really matters anymore in the book. Peter dates someone new...so what? They'll break up,she'll die whatever. Peter has some career success? Enjoy that while it lasts, because he'll be broke and back in the same dead end before you know it. Being a "young single loser" is all that matters.
I think the only thing at this point that would raise the book out of its doldrums is the addressing / undoing of OMD.

Where is there left to go here really? Another thinly-veiled all-slOtto story? Norman plays with magic again like in Gathering Of Five? Another crossover with the Venom book? Another $10 (or more) overpriced anniversary issue? Peter gets another lame job, another lame new romance?

These are all short-term solutions to a book that is beyond stale now under the same writer who has no intention of moving on to something else.
Agreed. OMD essentially created a time loop,where Peter is doomed to repeat the same things endlessly until the loop is broken. The book has currently come full circle with him right back to where he started at the beginning of BND. Undoing OMD is the only thing that can get this book back on track.

RDMacQ
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Post by RDMacQ » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:57 pm

Cheesedique wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:38 pm
251stormbringer wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:29 pm
Try as he may...Slott will never be able to drum much excitement for ASM. OMD broke the book...because not only did it break up a popular decades old relationship, it set in stone that nothing really matters anymore in the book. Peter dates someone new...so what? They'll break up,she'll die whatever. Peter has some career success? Enjoy that while it lasts, because he'll be broke and back in the same dead end before you know it. Being a "young single loser" is all that matters.
I think the only thing at this point that would raise the book out of its doldrums is the addressing / undoing of OMD.

Where is there left to go here really? Another thinly-veiled all-slOtto story? Norman plays with magic again like in Gathering Of Five? Another crossover with the Venom book? Another $10 (or more) overpriced anniversary issue? Peter gets another lame job, another lame new romance?

These are all short-term solutions to a book that is beyond stale now under the same writer who has no intention of moving on to something else.
I know it may sound like confirmation bias, but I really don't see how anything that doesn't involve MJ in a major role with the promise of restoring her relationship with Peter would do anything to ignite reader's interest in the book at this point.

A big, bloated event isn't really going to ignite fan interest these day, despite the fact that is where I think the series is headed. Just look at the lackluster response from Clone Conspiracy and Secret Empire. People just aren't interested in that from Marvel anymore. Especially in Spider-Man. There needs to be something far more tangible. Something that will actually interest people beyond the superficial. Having the "Spider-Family" verse the "Magic Goblin Family" isn't really going to solve that.

Trying to ignore that is just going to do more damage. DC managed to gain a lot of mileage back by responding to fan complaints and resolving the issues fans had with the books. But the Spider-Offices just seem to be operating out of willful ignorance these days, and there seems to be nothing anyone can do to rectify it. The solution is staring them right in the face, and yet they continue to try and push characters, relationships and storylines no one is interested in.
Cheesedique wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:50 pm
Unfortunately, Marvel is in such a bad state right now, they may think they can’t stand to lose even slott as crazy as that sounds.
Although if Breevort is actually less than thrilled with Slott these days, they may not be all that interested in keeping him around.

I think Marvel may know more than anyone that Slott doesn't bring the sales, and his success lies more with marketing than it does with his actual efforts. So they could just decide to cut his losses and let him leave.

They let Remender leave. They let Lemeire leave. They let a lot of guys go over the past few years. And they could decide not to renew Slott's contract when it is up, figuring that he's more trouble than he's worth, and he's not getting them the best results anymore.

I mean, the last issue of Silver Sufer just came out this week. Did anyone notice and/or care?

Not to mention that Breevort has also come out and said that, yeah, Slott's time on ASM is coming to an end. Not right away, but he is going to be taken off the book (Probably a lot sooner than he implied, but nevertheless...). So they may really feel that they can cut their losses with Slott and be done with him. And given his reputation online and how he really hasn't done much aside from ASM, he may not find his offers from the competition right now all that fruitful. DC no longer needs the "Win" of Slott coming over to their side. They're already winning. At this point, it'd be more important for a DC creator to be scooped by Marvel.

So, yeah, I think Marvel could stand to lose Slott. And wouldn't mind losing him as well. Heck, they could just kick him over to animation the same way they did with Wacker. It's not firing him, but it's also not putting up with him anymore.
Unless the rumors were true that Nick Spencer would take over post-#800, there are precious few names Marvel have left in their writer stable that they could put on ASM that would generate buzz among readers. Perhaps Bendis taking over would, but he doesn’t seem interested.
As I've said before, I think that Robbie Thompson could be a good fit. He's managed to gain some decent goodwill with his work, hasn't alienated anyone, and hasn't managed to get any black marks on his creative history. He could manage to get some positive attention turned towards the book.

BlackSuit
Webslinger
Webslinger

Post by BlackSuit » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:08 pm

RDMacQ wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:57 pm
Although if Breevort is actually less than thrilled with Slott these days, they may not be all that interested in keeping him around.

I think Marvel may know more than anyone that Slott doesn't bring the sales, and his success lies more with marketing than it does with his actual efforts. So they could just decide to cut his losses and let him leave.

They let Remender leave. They let Lemeire leave. They let a lot of guys go over the past few years. And they could decide not to renew Slott's contract when it is up, figuring that he's more trouble than he's worth, and he's not getting them the best results anymore.
t issue of Silver Sufer just came out this week. Did anyone notice and/or care?

Not to mention that Breevort has also come out and said that, yeah, Slott's time on ASM is coming to an end. Not right away, but he is going to be taken off the book (Probably a lot sooner than he implied, but nevertheless...). So they may really feel that they can cut their losses with Slott and be done with him. And given his reputation online and how he really hasn't done much aside from ASM, he may not find his offers from the competition right now all that fruitful. DC no longer needs the "Win" of Slott coming over to their side. They're already winning. At this point, it'd be more important for a DC creator to be scooped by Marvel.

So, yeah, I think Marvel could stand to lose Slott. And wouldn't mind losing him as well. Heck, they could just kick him over to animation the same way they did with Wacker. It's not firing him, but it's also not putting up with him anymore.
Unless the rumors were true that Nick Spencer would take over post-#800, there are precious few names Marvel have left in their writer stable that they could put on ASM that would generate buzz among readers. Perhaps Bendis taking over would, but he doesn’t seem interested.
As I've said before, I think that Robbie Thompson could be a good fit. He's managed to gain some decent goodwill with his work, hasn't alienated anyone, and hasn't managed to get any black marks on his creative history. He could manage to get some positive attention turned towards the book.
Brevoort declaration was unusual, I don't remember an editor coming ahead and say something like that. Probably he knows a good part of the ASM readers just want Slott to leave and was trying to tranquilize them and control the narrative (I also thinks he is in his way out of the book, but no editor will say that a creator is being outed of a book in this way). Also, Slott tweeted the following thing weeks ago.

Putting off Twitter for a bit. Now that Surfer's wrapped, putting aside time to work on the creator-owned project. Making this happen!
https://twitter.com/DanSlott/status/917037368686841857

So, yeah, Slott is working in a creator-owned project, something he almost never did in his career and it may be other clue that he is living ASM or even Marvel. He is a very slow (or lazy) writer that can't barely catch up with a bi-monthly book, I just wonder how he would write ASM and his pet project. So may be Slott know he will not have a steady paycheck and have to make his own thing.

RDMacQ
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Post by RDMacQ » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:50 pm

BlackSuit wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:08 pm
Brevoort declaration was unusual, I don't remember an editor coming ahead and say something like that. Probably he knows a good part of the ASM readers just want Slott to leave and was trying to tranquilize them and control the narrative (I also thinks he is in his way out of the book, but no editor will say that a creator is being outed of a book in this way). Also, Slott tweeted the following thing weeks ago.

Putting off Twitter for a bit. Now that Surfer's wrapped, putting aside time to work on the creator-owned project. Making this happen!
https://twitter.com/DanSlott/status/917037368686841857

So, yeah, Slott is working in a creator-owned project, something he almost never did in his career and it may be other clue that he is living ASM or even Marvel. He is a very slow (or lazy) writer that can't barely catch up with a bi-monthly book, I just wonder how he would write ASM and his pet project. So may be Slott know he will not have a steady paycheck and have to make his own thing.
Seriously? He's tweeting that he's working on a creator owned project?

Yeah. He's done on ASM. Likely with ASM #800, as Bleeding Cool reported.

And if he's working on another project, that likely means that Marvel isn't giving him extra work after his run on ASM is wrapped up.

And, yeah, it was super weird for Breevort to come out and say that. But I think given that Slott tended to run his mouth off with his whole "I'm never leaving 'till they fire me" nonsense, that probably put Marvel in a difficult position and his superiors probably didn't appreciate being put on the spot like that.

But it will be interesting to see how Slott reacts to having to try and sell a project without Marvel's marketing machine to back him up. There's a world of difference between trying to sell your own project, and working on an established brand with his own built in audience.

I think it's also telling that Marvel would let Slott bolt to do creator owned work rather than give him another project to work on. Doesn't speak highly of his placement within the company if they are willing to let him go, rather than move him onto another book.

ChiTownSpidey
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Post by ChiTownSpidey » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:51 am

Read ASM 790.

Words can not express my distaste for this book. Really tired of this "BND 2.0."

BlackSuit
Webslinger
Webslinger

Post by BlackSuit » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:13 am

RDMacQ wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:50 pm

And if he's working on another project, that likely means that Marvel isn't giving him extra work after his run on ASM is wrapped up.

And, yeah, it was super weird for Breevort to come out and say that. But I think given that Slott tended to run his mouth off with his whole "I'm never leaving 'till they fire me" nonsense, that probably put Marvel in a difficult position and his superiors probably didn't appreciate being put on the spot like that.

But it will be interesting to see how Slott reacts to having to try and sell a project without Marvel's marketing machine to back him up. There's a world of difference between trying to sell your own project, and working on an established brand with his own built in audience.

I think it's also telling that Marvel would let Slott bolt to do creator owned work rather than give him another project to work on. Doesn't speak highly of his placement within the company if they are willing to let him go, rather than move him onto another book.
It is very likely due his lack of capacity of handling multiples projects at the same time, I can't see him handling Amazing Spider-Man and whatever he is doing right now. I doubt his contract forbid him to make has independent projects due to other Marvel writers having their books (Soule, Jason Aaron and even Bendis). That will be the time of the truth for him as a creator and the reputation he earned during his career, if he does something in the vein of Silver Surfer or Doctor Who (some science fiction with time travel or other high concept) he may fare well with the Silver Surfer fans.

And frankly, it may be the better thing for him, we saw through out the years how he is obsessed with his own pet creations that he exiled all the supporting cast and tries everything he can to chill and elevate them even at the expense of the protagonist and of the story he was telling, because he almost never downplay them. We saw how frustrated he become when the editorial demanded the end of Superior Spider-Man and how he just refuse to write Peter in depth and invest in him personal life and use the classical supporting cast. But, now doing his stuff he can't elevate everybody or kill or trash and previous established character because every character will be of his own creation and he will have to focus in the story, killing or causing damage to them to tell it.

Masked Guy
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey

Post by Masked Guy » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:10 am

Timmyb52 wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:39 pm
Masked Guy wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:04 am
WARNING: SPOILERS BELOW

My thoughts on Amazing Spider-Man vol. 1 #790:

So...how forced was that fight between Spider-Man and The Human Torch? Peter has no real choice other than to sell the Baxter Building to pay his lawsuits and instead of discussing it like a rational human being, Johnny flips out and starts attacking him. Didn't we already see this same scenario last volume in issue #3? It was every bit as forced and stupid here as it was there. It's baffling that the same person who portrayed Peter's and Johnny's friendship so well in the excellent Spider-Man and The Human Torch mini-series can write it so unbelievably poorly here. Johnny deciding to cease acting like a moron and actually talk to Peter at the end doesn't make up for his inane outburst earlier.

And does anyone seriously care about Clash? He's been a thoroughly dull and uninteresting character in each and every one of his appearances, yet we're all apparently supposed to really be invested in him. So Clash breaks into the Baxter Building to retrieve his equipment, a brief (and very lame) battle ensues, they all work together to repair the damage they caused (in only a few panels no less) and then escapes after Spidey and The Torch turn their heads for about two seconds. It's every bit as boring as I just made it sound.

Also, I find it really dumb that Peter decided to duck out of important meetings (again) just so he can go take photos with civilians, help an elderly woman carry her groceries, play jump-rope with some kids and move a double parked car. It's always nice to see that Peter knows where his priorities lie.

Once again, Stuart Immonen's artwork is the only good part of the issue. Though I can't help but think at this point that his talents are being wasted on this series. This was such a boring, uneventful issue that I'm wondering why Dan Slott even bothered with it. The only event of consequence was at the very end when Robbie Robertson offers Peter a job. Will this actually lead to something interesting? Probably not.

GRADE: D-
I didn't happen to get to the comic shop today to read this issue...but with the reviews given I will avoid it like the plague.
It appears to me that Slott knows he is being replaced on Amazing and is really just writing Peter as badly as possible out of spite towards the majority of fans who want him off the book. It doesn't matter to me how bad he writes the character anymore because after # 800 we don't have to put up with his fan fiction any more...at least I hope so {lol}.
Just read it for free like you and I usually do. Come to think of it, I'm not even paying money for these comics and I still feel cheated.
ChiTownSpidey wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:51 am
Read ASM 790.

Words can not express my distaste for this book. Really tired of this "BND 2.0."
That seems to be the only interpretation of the character Marvel can do anymore.

ChiTownSpidey
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Post by ChiTownSpidey » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:29 am

Fan: Mr. Slott, how do you feel about getting Peter and MJ married again.
Slott: Feels like "been there, done that" but you have RYV so there you go.
Masked Guy wrote:
Peter has no real choice other than to sell the Baxter Building to pay his lawsuits and instead of discussing it like a rational human being, Johnny flips out and starts attacking him. Didn't we already see this same scenario last volume in issue #3? It was every bit as forced and stupid here as it was there.
Hey Dan, feels like WE'VE BEEN THERE AND DONE THIS...but hey, we do have RYV, a book worth my money...so there you go.

stillanerd
Administrator
Administrator

Post by stillanerd » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:26 pm

Well, I thought this most recent issue was much better than the last one. Thought it was just okay, at any rate. But yes, Dan Slott and Christos Gage definitely rummaged around in the recycling bin on this one.

Stillanerd Reviews: Amazing Spider-Man #790 review
--Mike McNulty, aka Stillanerd

Delta House Member "Badger"

Mike McNulty, a.k.a. Stillanerd. Contributor for Bam Smack Pow!
Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

"You know what I hate? Country Music! I don't know what country it's from, but it sure as hell ain't mine!" --from MAD TV

Facebook (a.k.a. my secret identity)

stillanerd
Administrator
Administrator

Post by stillanerd » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:26 pm

Well, I thought this most recent issue was much better than the last one. Thought it was just okay, at any rate. But yes, Dan Slott and Christos Gage definitely rummaged around in the recycling bin on this one.

--Mike McNulty, aka Stillanerd

Delta House Member "Badger"

Mike McNulty, a.k.a. Stillanerd. Contributor for Bam Smack Pow!
Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

"You know what I hate? Country Music! I don't know what country it's from, but it sure as hell ain't mine!" --from MAD TV

Facebook (a.k.a. my secret identity)

Cheesedique
Avenger
Avenger

Post by Cheesedique » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:44 pm

RDMacQ wrote:

If the churning rumor mill was to be believed, it's that slott didn't WANT any other book besides Spider-Man.

Think about it--what's he going to write? FF seems like the obvious choice, but Marvel doesn't seem to be ceasing their embargo on the title.

He's not going to do X-stuff, doesn't seem to have any interest.

Waid seems to have the Avengers & Cap sewn up. That would be the obvious move.

There doesn't seem to be enough in sales to keep Silver Surfer afloat as a monthly.

Not much else high-profile enough at Marvel to shift him to, and he probably won't deign to take a Spider-title where he doesn't get to be the grand poobah of the franchise.

Will be interesting to see who publishes his creator-owned stuff & how it does.

Masked Guy
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey

Post by Masked Guy » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:00 pm

stillanerd wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:26 pm

Good review, Mike, though I thought you were way too easy on this issue. Other than Stuart Immonen's artwork, this comic was a complete yawn. It seems more clear than ever that Dan Slott is out of ideas and his just spinning his wheels at this point.

ChiTownSpidey
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Post by ChiTownSpidey » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:19 pm

I have to agree. To me, Spider-Man is a character that is all about Responsibility.

So what does he do? As CEO of a company that JUST flopped he BAILS on his friend because "he couldn't take it."

THAT makes me angry! I was shouting at the page "MAN UP YOU *censored*!!!*. He bailed on his friend to let him deal with the fall out. He super powered beat down with ANOTHER friend because of this fall out. He's not taking any responsibility as Peter, the boy Uncle Ben and Aunt May raised with a strong moral compass. He has earned ANY of the awards when Doc Ock took over his body, and he feels not guilt because of it!

"Oh, I need to get out of adulating so I'll dress as Spider-Man and got take selfies with everyone because NY seems to like Spider-Man right now. I'll just bask in that for awhile...I'll let Harry deal with what is supposed to be my responsibility. " How does this man still have FRIENDS?!

Sorry, this is NOT the Spider-Man I know or has been for the last 10 years.

RDMacQ
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Post by RDMacQ » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:58 pm

BlackSuit wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:13 am
It is very likely due his lack of capacity of handling multiples projects at the same time, I can't see him handling Amazing Spider-Man and whatever he is doing right now. I doubt his contract forbid him to make has independent projects due to other Marvel writers having their books (Soule, Jason Aaron and even Bendis). That will be the time of the truth for him as a creator and the reputation he earned during his career, if he does something in the vein of Silver Surfer or Doctor Who (some science fiction with time travel or other high concept) he may fare well with the Silver Surfer fans.
What Silver Surfer fans?

But in all seriousness, I think Slott has hurt his standing by not taking any other assignments. Someone like Bendis proved a while back that he could deliver the goods in multiple projects. Jason Aaron has shown that he can handle various comics, with no problems in terms of deadlines and manage to have repeatable results.

But Slott has only had ASM, and he hasn't really done anything to dissuade the notion that it's ASM that is making him a hit rather than the other way around. The double whammy of a failing Silver Surfer title (Seriously, did anyone notice the last issue of that comic landed this week?) and Clone Conspiracy not taking off kind of hammered home that he's not someone that can draw an audience on his name alone. Meaning he has far less of a bargaining chip when it comes time to negotiations at Marvel.
And frankly, it may be the better thing for him, we saw through out the years how he is obsessed with his own pet creations that he exiled all the supporting cast and tries everything he can to chill and elevate them even at the expense of the protagonist and of the story he was telling, because he almost never downplay them. We saw how frustrated he become when the editorial demanded the end of Superior Spider-Man and how he just refuse to write Peter in depth and invest in him personal life and use the classical supporting cast. But, now doing his stuff he can't elevate everybody or kill or trash and previous established character because every character will be of his own creation and he will have to focus in the story, killing or causing damage to them to tell it.
I do wonder how long Slott did intend on having Otto stay in Peter's body, and how long he honestly expected that to go on for.

I also wonder if he seriously believed he could change the series to such a radical degree and it would just be "Accepted" by the fanbase.
ChiTownSpidey wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:29 am
Fan: Mr. Slott, how do you feel about getting Peter and MJ married again.
Slott: Feels like "been there, done that" but you have RYV so there you go.
Masked Guy wrote:
Peter has no real choice other than to sell the Baxter Building to pay his lawsuits and instead of discussing it like a rational human being, Johnny flips out and starts attacking him. Didn't we already see this same scenario last volume in issue #3? It was every bit as forced and stupid here as it was there.
Hey Dan, feels like WE'VE BEEN THERE AND DONE THIS...but hey, we do have RYV, a book worth my money...so there you go.
And as someone else here pointed out, he said that right before doing the third Clone Sage.

Of which a major plot thread was rehashing the "Is the Gwen clone a real girl or not" plot line from the original Clone Sage from over forty years ago.

Oh, but it had the "Revelation" that Gwen was awake moments before she died, and she "Hated" Peter for lying to her, but then she forgave him and the plotline went nowhere, so that was worth all worth it.
Cheesedique wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:44 pm
If the churning rumor mill was to be believed, it's that slott didn't WANT any other book besides Spider-Man.
Which doesn't surprise me, but at the same time it shows just how short sighted Slott can be.

As I've said before, Slott looks and reasons at things like a fan does. A fan thinks "Oh, I can just work on Spider-Man forever. And I can make all these changes and they will all stick and people will have to accept it." A professional looks at it and says "I'm just here to contribute, and anything I do could be undone at some point, and I'm not around forever."

Slott honestly seemed to think that the franchise was "His" from this point on. That Spider-Man- for lack of a better term- belonged to him. He never seemed to consider- or didn't want to consider- that he'd be taken off the title some day. Or that tastes may change and Marvel would have to do what is best for the series as a whole, which may never line up with what he wants.
Think about it--what's he going to write? FF seems like the obvious choice, but Marvel doesn't seem to be ceasing their embargo on the title.
Maybe, maybe not. We'll have to see.

Still, F4 would seem the best place to put Slott. But if they were to relaunch the series, they'd need a "Big" name. Someone dependable. That's not Slott. Slott is long past when his name could have sold a series. Superior Spider-Man is a thing of the past now, and Slott's star has not only fallen, but been tarnished along the way.
He's not going to do X-stuff, doesn't seem to have any interest.
He'd also be a poor fit, given the stories he writes and the stories that the X-Men tell.

Still, I think the X-Books don't really need Slott to "Help" them. They're actually doing fine now, all things considered.
Waid seems to have the Avengers & Cap sewn up. That would be the obvious move.
Slott also had his stab at the Avengers with Mighty Avengers. And most people have already completely forgotten about it, showing how much of an impact that story made.
There doesn't seem to be enough in sales to keep Silver Surfer afloat as a monthly.
Given the fact that it's last issue was this week, I'd say that's a profen fact.
Not much else high-profile enough at Marvel to shift him to, and he probably won't deign to take a Spider-title where he doesn't get to be the grand poobah of the franchise.
I mean, he could do the Hulk. But I doubt it.

Really, there's no Marvel book out right now that really "Needs" him or would benefit from him.

Tying himself to one franchise for so long and not showing in any real capacity how he can diversify to any serious degree has really hurt his career. Silver Surfer wasn't high profile enough or enough of a sales success to really help his image any. He's just known now as "The Spider-Man guy," and I think that has largely done more harm than good to him at this point.
Image could probably publish his works. However, it'd be interesting to see how Slott reacts to the process, since independent companies do require you to pitch your stories, regardless of who you are. Slott can't just walk in there, say "I'm Dan Slott" and get any deal he wants.

Ed Brubaker actually signed a unique deal with Image in that they will publish five of his stories without him having to pitch them. And that's a unique deal. Very few, if any, get that deal. So Slott is going to have to actually learn how to pitch stories to editors, and deal with rejection in a constructive manner. And it will be very interesting to see how his career progresses from here if he does "leave" Marvel for the independent comic circuit.

MRstarkiller360
Avenger
Avenger

Post by MRstarkiller360 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:01 pm

ChiTownSpidey wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:19 pm
I have to agree. To me, Spider-Man is a character that is all about Responsibility.

So what does he do? As CEO of a company that JUST flopped he BAILS on his friend because "he couldn't take it."

THAT makes me angry! I was shouting at the page "MAN UP YOU *censored*!!!*. He bailed on his friend to let him deal with the fall out. He super powered beat down with ANOTHER friend because of this fall out. He's not taking any responsibility as Peter, the boy Uncle Ben and Aunt May raised with a strong moral compass. He has earned ANY of the awards when Doc Ock took over his body, and he feels not guilt because of it!

"Oh, I need to get out of adulating so I'll dress as Spider-Man and got take selfies with everyone because NY seems to like Spider-Man right now. I'll just bask in that for awhile...I'll let Harry deal with what is supposed to be my responsibility. " How does this man still have FRIENDS?!

Sorry, this is NOT the Spider-Man I know or has been for the last 10 years.
First of... You sir have a wonderfull picture [smilie=spidey_cheers.gif].

Second of : You are completely right. Dan Slott can only write the storie that he want only by writing Peter in an irresponsible way. Something that would never happen.
Peter Parker being writen in a responsible way would never have come to the state that he is right now! The only reason that he is is because of how Slott wants the character to be writen.
Hell... Slott actually makes this abundandly clear with Power Play. Peter would never walk out on a deal of a billion dollars in order to play with Miles.
Peter would never use his company in order to built his own devices. At best he would only enhance his tech. Not to built a Spider-Mobile or a Spider-Jet or a F***ing Spider-Rocket!
I am yet to hear from Slott's fans why did Peter act so irresponsible when it came to PI!
Slott makes this even worse when he admits the problems in the series by making the characters make fun of Peter or out right berate him for something.

Masked Guy wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:00 pm
stillanerd wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:26 pm

Good review, Mike, though I thought you were way too easy on this issue. Other than Stuart Immonen's artwork, this comic was a complete yawn. It seems more clear than ever that Dan Slott is out of ideas and his just spinning his wheels at this point.
Yeah, I agree. It's not as bad as the previus issue given that it is not as mean spirited however it still maintains the narrative that Peter is a total failure of a human being. And completely irresponsible.
I'm sorry but what is the excuse for this ? How can someone excuse this behavior from the character ? There is no groth or any wanton from Peter to rise from what happened to him.
It feels like I'm watching a person completely giving up and we are supposed to care about said person. However there isn't any motivation for him to get up. And he doens't even look for one!
All he does is : I have fallen and I choose not to get up!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMj5Quyt6WU
Also here is a question : Where is the series going moving foward ? Is it supposed to represent that Peter is now back to basics... and just be that ? What a F***ing sad and pathetic thing to do.

RDMacQ wrote:

My man... Please don't get my hopes up. I will only belive it when they annouce it.
We thought he was done with the series before and yet he still on it... still ruining it.
RDMacQ wrote:

Truth be told the most likely thing that happened was that they were tired of him not only running his mouth on Marvel but also all of the likely compromises that Marvel came to with Slott to keep him in the series.
Like instead of him having to write MJ again, Marvel made RYV. Instead of him having to write something that he does not want to, they made Gage write it. I belive that Spec was the breaking point from Marvel.
Slott did not want to go back to basics however Marvel must have said "Screw this guy" and decided to fire him.
RDMacQ wrote:
Most likely it will be not be selling well because
  • 1 = Even with Marvel's help Silver Surfer never sold above cancelling numbers (20K if I'm not mistaken)
    2 = It will never sell all that well beause it won't be ASM
I'm looking foward to see the people saying again that it was Slott selling ASM and not ASM selling Slott.
RDMacQ wrote:
Quick question : Where is that offer from DC again ? Because if the case was that Slott was leaving ASM from his own volition and not being fired I would have guessed that DC would be offering Batman and Superman to Slott.
Cheesedique wrote:
Is that true ? Then wow. I have no words for Slott at this point because if I were him, with nothing else on my name, I would have accepeted anything just to keep myself on a job and maybe later work on something else that might suit me better!
Like, you just said, Fantastic Four when Marvel's embargo on the characters go away!
Cheesedique wrote:
If I were him I would have taking anything however I doubt his ego will allow him to write anything... "inferior"! :twisted:
Cheesedique wrote:
Probably Image because I doubt DC is going to want to have Slott on board after they saw how much it costs to keep him on suffing and what he does when he doesn't get it his way.