Mary Jane Appreciation Thread

Discuss Spidey's comics, or any other comics that you like.

Moderators: PartyHardy, BD, stillanerd, Spideydude

Big Al
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Re: Mary Jane Appreciation Thread

Post by Big Al » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:02 am

Animehunter wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:18 am
The Mary Jane/Gwen Stacy Cold War of 1967
https://www.cbr.com/spider-man-mary-jan ... -cold-war/
“While Peter is worrying about the situation, MJ comes in (I love that she enters rooms snapping her fingers) and Peter is a total jerk to her…Peter continues to be rude to her when Gwen enters and then MJ and Gwen banter a bit…It is times like these that I think that the retcon that Gwen knew Peter’s identity during this period actually works, as otherwise, why would MJ put up with this dude who is constantly a jerk to her?”

Why has fandom over the past 10 years developed such a weird fetish for condemning Peter Parker and not bothering to look at things from his POV?
Why is he expected to be perfect all the time when not being perfect was the whole point of his character.
Like...yeah he’s rude to MJ.
She’s walking in all bubbly and peppy when the situation is actually incredibly serious and she doesn’t really want to help out, she’s there to sight see.
Peter meanwhile is justifiably incredibly concerned for his Aunt May’s welfare because this incredibly dangerous super villain has grown close to her and visited serious property damage (that he might have to PAY FOR) nearby her.
Like...I think he just MIGHT be allowed to not be the nicest person under these circumstances FFS.
Not to mention he isn’t even that rude to her.
He unenthusiastically says hello to her and tells her that his situation is no laughing matter, which is 100% accurate his MOTHER could’ve been seriously hurt and he might have to pay for something incredibly expensive he might not be able to afford.
Even if MJ DIDN’T know he was Spider-Man she’d rationally be able to cut him some slack for the (allegedly) rude behaviour he’s exhibiting here.

Again I ask what is up with CBR, and ComicsAlliance, and Tumblr and just about everybody’s weird, weird, weird, werid fetish for like...not bothering to actually consider things from Spider-Man’s POV.

Please somebody enlighten me.
Delta House Member Gimli

https://40.media.tumblr.com/2e65cb18213b8d4bf704dca08169e49c/tumblr_nz9jrqvyRA1she6m6o1_400.jpg

"The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the water spout. Down came the Goblin and took the spider out. "

Joey Z was F.A.C.A.D.E.

THIS: http://hellzyeahthewebwieldingavenger.tumblr.com/post/77268781356/the-debate-norman-osborn-vs-otto-octavius-who-is-the

My secret identity is: Ubertestosterone90sArnieAvenger....-Man

Animehunter
Avenger
Avenger

Post by Animehunter » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:03 am

No. 3

15 Traumatic Superhero Cartoon Moments (You Thought Were Perfectly Fine As A Kid)
https://www.cbr.com/traumatic-superhero ... n-moments/

Animehunter
Avenger
Avenger

Post by Animehunter » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:10 am

Brian Bendis Switches Sides, Signs DC Exclusive
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/11/07 ... exclusive/

https://twitter.com/DCComics/status/927901459521331205
We’re so excited to start working with @BRIANMBENDIS!

Spider-Padre
Avenger
Avenger

Post by Spider-Padre » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:02 am

Wow, this is a huge deal. Bendis wasn't just a long-time Marvel writer, he was part of their upper "brain trust." I wonder what prompted this, and what effect (if any) it might have on the Spider-Man series.

ChiTownSpidey
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Post by ChiTownSpidey » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:03 pm

Spider-Padre wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:02 am
Wow, this is a huge deal. Bendis wasn't just a long-time Marvel writer, he was part of their upper "brain trust." I wonder what prompted this, and what effect (if any) it might have on the Spider-Man series.
According to the report years ago, he was the one that WANTED Mary Jane in Iron Man because Slott wasn't using her (months later Slott accused Bendis of stealing her because Slott had no plans for her "YET!"..so why didn't Slott say anything at the retreat when Bendis spoke up?)

I'm seeing this bit of news as Bendis knows where the winning side is. DC Rebirth is doing SO MUCH better in stories and in sales than Marvel. Marvel big events and $10 comics that get ranked to #1 are becoming tiresome and pointless. He's going to where the stories really matter. He'll do good there I think.

I compare to this transaction to Jeph Loeb. He did a workload over at DC Comics and writing and was well famed for it. Then he wrote a couple of stories for tv show Smallville and became a producer for that show. When that fizzled out he then moved over to Marvel to become a producer for Marvel TV. Personal Note: I think he's kind of a tool and a celebrity kiss-a$$. Wouldn't give fans a time of day unless he was up on stage at the marvel booth surrounded by actors signing posters.

I don't think Bendis is like that...I think like Loeb, he knows where the winning side is and that's where he wants to be. The comics are going great and the TV shows are doing fantastic (Arrow...meh), and after the success of Wonder Woman and I'm betting Aquaman will be awesome too, Justice League won't be as bad as BVS, he'll have a hand in the movie industry where his talents may apply.

Honestly, it's a win for DC and a loss for Marvel. Marvel has only themselves to blame though, really. My two cents anyways...people may accuse me of reading too much into it, but I've seen the other side and how they work behind the scenes. This is simply my take on it.

ChiTownSpidey
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Post by ChiTownSpidey » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:09 pm

Joe Quesada had to have his two cents on this.

https://www.cbr.com/joe-quesada-brian-b ... tulations/

Translation: "Damn..." :D

Spider-Padre
Avenger
Avenger

Post by Spider-Padre » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:30 pm

Quesada had to know something was up, a long while ago.

I'm going to guess that

(a) Bendis decided the winds are blowing in the right direction at DC, vs. Marvel being locked into a "the critics are wrong, stay the course, they'll come around" mindset. If Bendis decided that Marvel's critics are mostly right, that would be a reason to make a change. I don't follow Bendis, but I'm under the impression he hasn't been in the front lines of defending Marvel's direction or decisions.

(b) If Bendis is interested in expanding his writing career into films, like screen-writing or story editor, he's locked out of that forever at Marvel because of the feud between Feige and Perlmutter. Disney built a wall between the MCU and Marvel publishing (mostly to keep the hacks and bunglers in publishing from interfering with the movies). Working with DC opens that up for him.

(c) You've got to assume that DC made Bendis a hefty financial offer and writing opportunity. What if they offered him Superman? Sometimes a guy just wants to try something new and different.

ChiTownSpidey
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Post by ChiTownSpidey » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:54 pm

Spider-Padre wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:30 pm
Quesada had to know something was up, a long while ago.

I'm going to guess that

(a) Bendis decided the winds are blowing in the right direction at DC, vs. Marvel being locked into a "the critics are wrong, stay the course, they'll come around" mindset. If Bendis decided that Marvel's critics are mostly right, that would be a reason to make a change. I don't follow Bendis, but I'm under the impression he hasn't been in the front lines of defending Marvel's direction or decisions.

(b) If Bendis is interested in expanding his writing career into films, like screen-writing or story editor, he's locked out of that forever at Marvel because of the feud between Feige and Perlmutter. Disney built a wall between the MCU and Marvel publishing (mostly to keep the hacks and bunglers in publishing from interfering with the movies). Working with DC opens that up for him.

(c) You've got to assume that DC made Bendis a hefty financial offer and writing opportunity. What if they offered him Superman? Sometimes a guy just wants to try something new and different.
I'm doing with (d) all of the above. LOL

Cheesedique
Avenger
Avenger

Post by Cheesedique » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:50 pm

It's becoming increasingly apparent that Marvel has become the "walled garden" of comics.

They have more insane stupid rules than DC--like no one (in a million MILLION YEARS) could put Peter & MJ back together as a married couple.

They can't publish a Fantastic Four comic, because Perlmutter.

They were crapping on the X-Men for years, in favor of pushing characters like the Inhumans. This has just started to seemingly turn around.

At this point, Marvel seems to be lost in chasing DC, whether its initiatives like Legacy or aping their lenticular covers. Marvel seems a bit lost, and their sales are taking a hit.

At least DC has full rights to all their characters, in both publishing and film. I'm sure they look a lot more attractive than Marvel to certain creators. And DC, and their creators, at least seem to LIKE using all of their many characters.

Marvel is also stuck in the shock kill / event fodder mindset of taking their heroes out of commission (which Bendis himself perpetrated).

Spider-Padre
Avenger
Avenger

Post by Spider-Padre » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:23 pm

I am assuming Brian Michael Bendis has been a big part of why Marvel is in the plight it's in today. So maybe it'll be a good thing he's gone.

My impression of him is that he values product quantity over quality. He's a quantity machine. He just cranks it out, in reams. But most of it is mediocre, at best. At least the small amount of Bendis stuff I've read. He doesn't want to produce one fine crystal goblet, he produces 10,000 Dixie cups. He's gotten wealthy off Dixie cups. But they're still just Dixie cups.

Chase the Blues Away
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey

Post by Chase the Blues Away » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:22 pm

I happen to like Bendis.

No, not all his stuff is stellar. I think he's bitten off far more than he can chew on more than one occassion, and the work suffered for it. He definitely has a style that can be love it or hate it, and IMO needs a strong editorial hand - or least someone who can reign in his excesses - for his work to shine. He's best on tightly focused titles where he can run with the story and not worry about affecting other titles or the entire comic book universe. Big events are just not his forte.

However.

He's never come across as mean or malicious to fans, IMO, unlike many others who are remaining at the House of No Current Ideas. I was on Bendis's message boards long before he joined Marvel and he was an active participant, giving generously of his time and answering questions.

He truly cares about comics and writing. He even teaches at a local university, paying it forward. He's written some very smart and perceptive social media posts about the craft of writing and sequential storytelling. IMO, he has more talent and innate storytelling ability in the fingernail clippings from his left pinky than Dan Slott will ever possess. He really, really loves his job.

And I will always be grateful that Bendis rescued Mary Jane from the scrapheap of unused characters, when Slott would have been content to let the character rot there until the end of Slott's Marvel life (which, please, let it be soon). Sure, it's not the best fit for the character. Sure, there are some continuity issues. Sure, she's not in Spider-Man where she belongs. But at least the character is being portrayed as competent, smart, compassionate and more than just a "supermodel" whose most useful skill is filling out lingerie.

Now we're left with Alonso, Quesada, Brevoort - as well as Laissez Faire Lowe, the laziest editor in comics, and Slott the Sloppy Sluggard Scribe - and there's no one who seems to love comics for the sheer storytelling potential the way Bendis does.

Animehunter
Avenger
Avenger

Post by Animehunter » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:20 pm

The Big Reasons Brian Michael Bendis Left Marvel For DC Comics
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/11/07 ... dc-comics/

Spider-Padre
Avenger
Avenger

Post by Spider-Padre » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:40 pm

Chase the Blues Away wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:22 pm
I happen to like Bendis.

No, not all his stuff is stellar. I think he's bitten off far more than he can chew on more than one occassion, and the work suffered for it. He definitely has a style that can be love it or hate it, and IMO needs a strong editorial hand - or least someone who can reign in his excesses - for his work to shine. He's best on tightly focused titles where he can run with the story and not worry about affecting other titles or the entire comic book universe. Big events are just not his forte.

However.

He's never come across as mean or malicious to fans, IMO, unlike many others who are remaining at the House of No Current Ideas. I was on Bendis's message boards long before he joined Marvel and he was an active participant, giving generously of his time and answering questions.

He truly cares about comics and writing. He even teaches at a local university, paying it forward. He's written some very smart and perceptive social media posts about the craft of writing and sequential storytelling. IMO, he has more talent and innate storytelling ability in the fingernail clippings from his left pinky than Dan Slott will ever possess. He really, really loves his job.

And I will always be grateful that Bendis rescued Mary Jane from the scrapheap of unused characters, when Slott would have been content to let the character rot there until the end of Slott's Marvel life (which, please, let it be soon). Sure, it's not the best fit for the character. Sure, there are some continuity issues. Sure, she's not in Spider-Man where she belongs. But at least the character is being portrayed as competent, smart, compassionate and more than just a "supermodel" whose most useful skill is filling out lingerie.

Now we're left with Alonso, Quesada, Brevoort - as well as Laissez Faire Lowe, the laziest editor in comics, and Slott the Sloppy Sluggard Scribe - and there's no one who seems to love comics for the sheer storytelling potential the way Bendis does.
I appreciate your positive POV about the guy. I don't want to deteriorate into one of those old fans who just hate on a guy.

RDMacQ
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Post by RDMacQ » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:31 pm

Cheesedique wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:50 pm
It's becoming increasingly apparent that Marvel has become the "walled garden" of comics.

They have more insane stupid rules than DC--like no one (in a million MILLION YEARS) could put Peter & MJ back together as a married couple.
Keep in mind, the only person we have to go by on that is Slott- who is notorious for not telling the truth. And it's less "THEY'LL NEVER, EVER, EVER GET BACK TOGETHER!" and more "Why do you want to see a return to this relationship that won't go anywhere?"

Meanwhile, everywhere else around Slott is very happy to push the notion of Peter and MJ as a power couple, to the point of putting out a book that is primarily about them as a couple- along with their kid.

So Peter and MJ "Never getting back together" may be one of those things where it's Slott beakin' off, and engaging in his typical running off at the mouth, speaking (Or in this case, writing) before thinking.

It will be interesting to see what happens to the series once Bendis leaves Iron Man. I doubt that she was going to remain there indefinitely, and there were plans to have her return to the series this year, so it wasn't Bendis along keeping her out of the book.

With Bendis leaving, and Slott also potentially departing ASM, the editors may decide that they need to move the series back to "Factory settings" in order to bring back readers to the title.

Timmyb52
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey

Post by Timmyb52 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:50 pm

ChiTownSpidey wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:09 pm
Joe Quesada had to have his two cents on this.

https://www.cbr.com/joe-quesada-brian-b ... tulations/

Translation: "Damn..." :D
Yeah...Joe Quesada just spews the same over-hyped drivel over and over again..."we have big surprises coming for Marvel so stay tuned". Just the same empty promises over and over again while doing nothing to actually get their brand back on track.Marvel is wasting time while fans continue to drop their books in mass and move to DC where they can get simple fun and exciting stories without the Far Left political posturing and bad sales tactics.
Time is running out Marvel...get your act together!
:roll: