What do you guys think of Spider-Man 2099 (2014 volume) ?

Discuss Spidey's comics, or any other comics that you like.

Moderators: PartyHardy, BD, stillanerd, Spideydude

Big Al
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Re: What do you guys think of Spider-Man 2099 (2014 volume)

Post by Big Al » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:19 pm

Someone pointed out to me the hilarious lampshading PAD has done of Spider-Verse in a recent issue he did. This exchange is between the Exiles version of Spider-Man 2099 as well as Mary Jane.
Miguel: Because he’s killing all of us! There are barely any of us left!

MJ: My God! But why-why would he—?

Miguel: Because that’s what he does! I don’t know why!

And later:

Miguel: Earth-616. It’s the only Earth where he might be afraid to go.

MJ: Why?

Miguel: Because he died there.

MJ: Then why is he alive now?

Miguel: He just is. And stop asking questions, okay?
Is he talking about Morlun...or someone else?
Delta House Member Gimli

https://40.media.tumblr.com/2e65cb18213b8d4bf704dca08169e49c/tumblr_nz9jrqvyRA1she6m6o1_400.jpg

"The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the water spout. Down came the Goblin and took the spider out. "

Joey Z was F.A.C.A.D.E.

THIS: http://hellzyeahthewebwieldingavenger.tumblr.com/post/77268781356/the-debate-norman-osborn-vs-otto-octavius-who-is-the

My secret identity is: Ubertestosterone90sArnieAvenger....-Man

NickMB
Avenger
Avenger

Post by NickMB » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:27 pm

Big Al wrote:Someone pointed out to me the hilarious lampshading PAD has done of Spider-Verse in a recent issue he did. This exchange is between the Exiles version of Spider-Man 2099 as well as Mary Jane.
Miguel: Because he’s killing all of us! There are barely any of us left!

MJ: My God! But why-why would he—?

Miguel: Because that’s what he does! I don’t know why!

And later:

Miguel: Earth-616. It’s the only Earth where he might be afraid to go.

MJ: Why?

Miguel: Because he died there.

MJ: Then why is he alive now?

Miguel: He just is. And stop asking questions, okay?
Is he talking about Morlun...or someone else?
I dunno, self-aware jabs at comic tropes are very much a PAD staple. I've lost track of how many times I've read his characters making wisecracks about their constant resurrections. He probably is making fun more of Morlun than any specific writer. (Especially since those jabs could just as easily apply to the JMS version.)

Although I'm sure it does amuse him that this is the second large crossover he's worked on which involves Morlun returning from the dead with little/no explanation.
Read Hobson & Choi - my comedy-mystery webserial - right now.
More available on my blog and Twitter. Form an orderly queue.

AmFan15

Post by AmFan15 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:48 pm

I've been reading it. I loved Peter David's original Spider-Man 2099 series, and this is proving to be a very worthy successor.
In fact, now that Superior Foes is ending ( [smilie=fred.gif] :cry: ), 2099 will be the ONLY Marvel book I am currently reading.
Mr. Noodle wrote:What is Miguel all about, anyway? I've read some of those old 2099s, but I don't remember a strong motivation. Secret freedom fighter?
Its been a long time since I reread the original run, but taking down Alchemax and the Public Eye was definitely part of his motivation. He didn't really have Peter's sense of responsibility though. He was a lot more like Kaine in Scarlet Spider, in fact...basically just trying to live a normal life, but being forced to put on the costume to protect himself, his family, and his friends.
"Whether Aunt May dies or not isn't the question. If she dies, does it mean anything beyond a brief sales spike because collectors/speculators think they'll be able to make a profit selling the book later? That is the question. Back when, Stan and company won our hearts and minds. I cared about Spider-Man and the other Marvel characters as though they were friends. I cared every time Aunt May got sick. That's what good creative work does."

--Jim Shooter--

Big Al
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Post by Big Al » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:05 am

AmFan15 wrote:I've been reading it. I loved Peter David's original Spider-Man 2099 series, and this is proving to be a very worthy successor.
In fact, now that Superior Foes is ending ( [smilie=fred.gif] :cry: ), 2099 will be the ONLY Marvel book I am currently reading.
Mr. Noodle wrote:What is Miguel all about, anyway? I've read some of those old 2099s, but I don't remember a strong motivation. Secret freedom fighter?
Its been a long time since I reread the original run, but taking down Alchemax and the Public Eye was definitely part of his motivation. He didn't really have Peter's sense of responsibility though. He was a lot more like Kaine in Scarlet Spider, in fact...basically just trying to live a normal life, but being forced to put on the costume to protect himself, his family, and his friends.
On the sliding scale of idealism vs cynicism (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... usCynicism) I'd put Miguel in between Kaine and Peter. He's comparativly more moral and idealistic than Kaine, and it's like being a hero is a chore and a pain in the ass sometimes but he does believe in it at heart. But he isn't as wholesome as Peter by any means.
Delta House Member Gimli

https://40.media.tumblr.com/2e65cb18213b8d4bf704dca08169e49c/tumblr_nz9jrqvyRA1she6m6o1_400.jpg

"The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the water spout. Down came the Goblin and took the spider out. "

Joey Z was F.A.C.A.D.E.

THIS: http://hellzyeahthewebwieldingavenger.tumblr.com/post/77268781356/the-debate-norman-osborn-vs-otto-octavius-who-is-the

Big Al
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Post by Big Al » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:35 am

What do people think of the Liz/Miguel kiss/relationship cos it's weiridng me out thus far?

Also re-read issue #3 and it was awesomesauce
Delta House Member Gimli

Joey Z was F.A.C.A.D.E.

Caroilne12
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Post by Caroilne12 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:54 am

Constantine wrote:
Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:13 pm
Read the first three issues and they felt anemic to me as well. I thought it was due to my currently reading pre-90s stuff but I guess not. One of the problems that made them feel light is that they generally lacked subplots. It is only three issues in, so obviously it doesn't have a well rounded cast yet, but it does have Liz Allan and Tiberius, the latter of which feels underused so far. Beyond that, I've been enjoying the series -- I really like Miguel O'Hara and Peter David, so its doubtful I'll ever dislike the series.

Oh, and I hope he picks up the dropped subplot from the original Spider-Man 2099 series wherein Lyla started to become a fully sentient AI. He started it right before he left the title and I don't think any subsequent 2099 writers did anything with it.

Also, does anyone know how well its doing in terms of sales so far? http://healthworldjournal.com/phen375-a ... ew-by-hwj/ I feel like you need a decent understand and liking of Miguel to get much out of this series so far, so I sadly can't imagine it staying around too long.
I think it could be better but I like Sliney's art (it's better than it was in Superior #31). I agree the action scenes are a bit meh, but tbh that seems quite standard for modern day comics. Unless your Stegman or Bagley or someone like that action scenes are kinda just there.

I've enjoyed the est of it though.