Axel Alonso Replaced.

Discuss Spidey's comics, or any other comics that you like.

Moderators: PartyHardy, BD, stillanerd, Spideydude

User avatar
RDMacQ
Captain Universe
Captain Universe
Posts: 4320
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:58 pm

Re: Axel Alonso Replaced.

Post by RDMacQ » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:38 pm

MisterMets wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:34 pm
]Is there any indication that Marvel promises interns that they'll keep them on at salary?
Internships can lead to full time positions.

What doesn't is lying to people about how you work there and "Tricking" people into giving you a job. The world is not a sitcom. It doesn't work like that. Pretending to work at a place to try and trick them into giving you a job does not end with a grumpy "Never do this again." It ends with that person being escorted from the premises and never being allowed to return.

User avatar
Cheesedique
Avenger
Avenger
Posts: 1538
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:19 pm
Location: North Hollywood, CA.

Re: Axel Alonso Replaced.

Post by Cheesedique » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:13 pm

MisterMets wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:34 pm
- There are legitimate questions about the morality of his actions, given the problems of income inequality, and the way internship programs can exacerbate that. The views on this should be separate from the views of the person. It should have nothing to do with how you feel about Slott's writing or online interactions.
Except it reflects on his professionalism, or lack thereof. Much like his online interactions.

This isn't Peter David getting promoted from the Marvel mail room by Carol Kalish. This is somebody who didn't work at Marvel taking the spot of someone else who would've got in to Marvel by honestly going through the proper channels.

User avatar
RDMacQ
Captain Universe
Captain Universe
Posts: 4320
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:58 pm

Re: Axel Alonso Replaced.

Post by RDMacQ » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:03 pm

Can someone remind what the exact story Slott told was? The link doesn't work for me, and the story I get when I search it on my own just basically says he had an internship while he was a college senior that eventually led to a staff position. I know Slott went into further detail on the story, but I just want to be reminded of the specifics.

User avatar
MRstarkiller360
Avenger
Avenger
Posts: 1586
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:34 pm
Location: Brazil, Rio de Janeiro

Re: Axel Alonso Replaced.

Post by MRstarkiller360 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:51 pm

Cheesedique wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:13 pm
MisterMets wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:34 pm
- There are legitimate questions about the morality of his actions, given the problems of income inequality, and the way internship programs can exacerbate that. The views on this should be separate from the views of the person. It should have nothing to do with how you feel about Slott's writing or online interactions.
Except it reflects on his professionalism, or lack thereof. Much like his online interactions.

This isn't Peter David getting promoted from the Marvel mail room by Carol Kalish. This is somebody who didn't work at Marvel taking the spot of someone else who would've got in to Marvel by honestly going through the proper channels.
Plus, I'm sorry, you don't talk shit about your boss, who could easily report and fire you, when he just gave you a chance to prove yourself.
From the way I undestand the story that was told by Slott is that he tricked Marvel into getting the position that he is in today. Making himself look like smarter than the rest of Marvel's writers.

Chase the Blues Away
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey
Posts: 546
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:13 pm

Re: Axel Alonso Replaced.

Post by Chase the Blues Away » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:53 pm

MisterMets wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:34 pm
Chase the Blues Away wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:55 am
MisterMets wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:43 pm
]That take's a bit exaggerated in that Slott lied about being a college student in order to work for Marvel for free, and they liked him so much they decided to start paying him.
So in other words, he committed fraud by pretending to be a college student in order to secure an internship meant to be filled by a college student who would exchange work experience for school credit in lieu of being paid (and kept an actual student from getting vital work experience before college graduation).

I don’t know the rules were in 1990, but if it occurred today, Slott would cause Marvel to be in violation of New York State labor law, and if discovered, the fraud of pretending to be a college student in order to secure a college program internship would cost Marvel dearly.

Also, how can this be misrepresentation when it’s straight from Slott’s mouth? https://comicbooked.com/dan-slott-gets-comic-booked/
Chase, given that Slott was paid to stay on, he was more likely than not a better intern for Marvel than that hypothetical college student whose opportunity he took away. There is an argument that he abused laws that were meant to protect students and entry-level employees by being willing to work for free without having to worry about a college courseload.
You have NO idea how the other intern would have performed. ZERO. For all we know, by Slott committing fraud, the entire comics community was denied a superstar who took an internship in another industry and stayed there.

Newsflash: many interns are asked to stay on if they are anywhere competent and there is an open position available. That's how I got my first job out of college. From a hiring manager perspective, it is far better to hire someone you know you can work with, especially if they know the company. It means you don't have to train someone new and lose valuable time. This is why most jobs are filled via networking, not by answering a cold ad. People want to work with people they know.
As for how the statement was a misrepresentation (not my exact word but is applicable) had DeFalco chosen not to keep Slott on at the end of the internship, Slott would not have been fired. It would have just been the end of a contract. DeFalco's decision to hire him/ allow him to be hired goes beyond just not firing him.
Now you're misrepresenting the story Slott himself told. Here's the link to a Wayback Machine capture, for those having a hard time getting to the original site: https://web.archive.org/web/20120616142 ... ic-booked/

So let's let Slott tell it:
I had a sister who was getting married, so I came to New York, I knew I was going to be in Manhattan and I set up an interview through the college internship program. I just filled out all the forms, did everything I was supposed to and I was there all of five minutes and one of the questions they asked was “What college do you go to?” I said “Well, I just graduated from…” and they said “We can’t use you. We give you college credit. We don’t pay you, and if we can’t give you college credit, it’s slave labor, we’re not doing that. Thank you, but goodbye.” And I was kicked right out. And luckily I have a twin sister who got married six months later, and I had to come back to Manhattan. And I knew they weren’t going to remember me from five minutes, so I had a college professor write me this form for a post-graduate credit. When they asked me what college I went to, I lied and I just said I was still in college. And then I was the intern who didn’t leave. [laughter] Most guys usually do a month or two months; I was on month three. And I wasn’t getting paid, I was living on money I was getting from Kinkos at night, and things were getting kind of iffy when someone came up to me and said “You know, we have this staff job we’d like to give you, but you have to go back to college.” I went “I LIED!”, and they gave me the job.

A couple weeks later, a couple pay cycles later, I wasn’t getting any checks. And this was before direct deposit. A guy would wheel a cart down the hall and hand everyone an envelope with their paycheck. And he kept skipping by me. I had to go to the Editor in Chief and say “You guys aren’t paying me”. “Well what where we paying you before?” “I was a college intern.” “Well then you have to go back to college.” “Well no, I lied.” And this was Tom DeFalco, if you meet Tom DeFalco he’s a really nice guy.

Yeah, I’ve had the pleasure.

Yeah, he’s a loveable guy, but as Editor in Chief he ruled everything with an iron fist. You did not mess with Tom DeFalco, Editor in Chief! And here I had just said that to him, and I’m a foot shorter than him, and he’s just looking at me like “Don’t ever do that again!” And I’m like “Okay!”, and the next week I got paid. So that’s how I broke in. And every time I meet a college intern… There’s this saying that any time you find a way to break into an industry, it’s like breaking out of prison. They seal that crack so no one can ever do it again. So because of me every college intern has to sign all these tons of forms. And whenever I meet a college intern, they’re like “I had to do that because of YOU!” And they are correct, that is me.
I am unaware of any situation in New York in the 90s in which a company was prosecuted for hiring an intern who presented inaccurate information. Marvel bringing Slott on afterwards shows that they didn't seem to care about that (whether that's a healthy attitude or not.)
Again, you're misrepresenting the story. If you read it, you'll see that Marvel did care and took pains to make sure it doesn't happen again.

As a hiring manager, you do not mess with labor law. You are putting your company at risk, as well as your own continued employment. Every company I've worked for is very clear that college internships have to be structured a certain way because you can't hire people to work for free. And Marvel at that time knew that, as they told Slott when he first interviewed.

Then Slott knowingly committed fraud by getting a college professor to sign a form.


{quote]
Some final thoughts on the Slott internship question...

- I think it's a mistake to suggest Slott did anything wrong to Marvel here, because they liked him so much they kept him on, and started paying him. He doesn't owe Marvel on this. Their decision wasn't about being nice to him, but about getting a good employee.[/quote]

By his own words: he lied to his employer and knowingly committed fraud. You might think that's okay. In the actual corporate world, that's a fireable offense. Which DeFalco could have done, but chose not to.
There are legitimate questions about the morality of his actions, given the problems of income inequality, and the way internship programs can exacerbate that. The views on this should be separate from the views of the person. It should have nothing to do with how you feel about Slott's writing or online interactions.
Labor law is labor law. He caused Marvel to break that labor law by asserting he was something he wasn't. It's not a hypothetical moral question.

User avatar
RDMacQ
Captain Universe
Captain Universe
Posts: 4320
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:58 pm

Re: Axel Alonso Replaced.

Post by RDMacQ » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:29 am

Chase the Blues Away wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:53 pm
Now you're misrepresenting the story Slott himself told. Here's the link to a Wayback Machine capture, for those having a hard time getting to the original site: https://web.archive.org/web/20120616142 ... ic-booked/

So let's let Slott tell it:
I had a sister who was getting married, so I came to New York, I knew I was going to be in Manhattan and I set up an interview through the college internship program. I just filled out all the forms, did everything I was supposed to and I was there all of five minutes and one of the questions they asked was “What college do you go to?” I said “Well, I just graduated from…” and they said “We can’t use you. We give you college credit. We don’t pay you, and if we can’t give you college credit, it’s slave labor, we’re not doing that. Thank you, but goodbye.” And I was kicked right out. And luckily I have a twin sister who got married six months later, and I had to come back to Manhattan. And I knew they weren’t going to remember me from five minutes, so I had a college professor write me this form for a post-graduate credit. When they asked me what college I went to, I lied and I just said I was still in college. And then I was the intern who didn’t leave. [laughter] Most guys usually do a month or two months; I was on month three. And I wasn’t getting paid, I was living on money I was getting from Kinkos at night, and things were getting kind of iffy when someone came up to me and said “You know, we have this staff job we’d like to give you, but you have to go back to college.” I went “I LIED!”, and they gave me the job.

A couple weeks later, a couple pay cycles later, I wasn’t getting any checks. And this was before direct deposit. A guy would wheel a cart down the hall and hand everyone an envelope with their paycheck. And he kept skipping by me. I had to go to the Editor in Chief and say “You guys aren’t paying me”. “Well what where we paying you before?” “I was a college intern.” “Well then you have to go back to college.” “Well no, I lied.” And this was Tom DeFalco, if you meet Tom DeFalco he’s a really nice guy.

Yeah, I’ve had the pleasure.

Yeah, he’s a loveable guy, but as Editor in Chief he ruled everything with an iron fist. You did not mess with Tom DeFalco, Editor in Chief! And here I had just said that to him, and I’m a foot shorter than him, and he’s just looking at me like “Don’t ever do that again!” And I’m like “Okay!”, and the next week I got paid. So that’s how I broke in. And every time I meet a college intern… There’s this saying that any time you find a way to break into an industry, it’s like breaking out of prison. They seal that crack so no one can ever do it again. So because of me every college intern has to sign all these tons of forms. And whenever I meet a college intern, they’re like “I had to do that because of YOU!” And they are correct, that is me.
Yeah, I honestly don't think this is how it happened in any way shape or form.

First of all, I doubt they'd kick him out after "Five minutes." Also, those "Forms" he'd have to sign would likely have to have the name of his college on it. Marvel also would likely have to check with the college, go through a review process and set things up with the college itself to process the credit. People don't just show up for internships, and the company has to say "We'll give you college credit." It kind of has to go through a process. They don't just rely on the intern to pass the information back and forth.

Also, note how Slott kind of skips over the whole issue of him saying he lied, and then them giving him the job. Sorry, but if you lied to take an internship, then the people in charge aren't going to hire you. You just showed yourself to be completely untrustworthy. There is no reason why they should accept that this person- after just a month of work- would be someone they'd want to hire on full time.

I'm also not sure that the EIC would be in charge of payroll. Why would Slott go to Tom Defalco? An issue like that would be better served through other departments. The EIC hands out the stories. He doesn't issue the paychecks. That's handled through the accounting and payroll department. Like it is at pretty much every company.

Notice how he also kind of gives a backhanded compliment to Defalco. "Oh, he's a great guy, but ruled with an iron fist!" And "Yeah, I've had the pleasure." Sounds like Slott didn't much care for Defalco. So it's no surprise that he's crafted this story where he outsmarts everyone at Marvel, including the EIC, but everyone just loves him so much they wouldn't dare fire him. Which every single company would have done in such a situation.

Honestly, I think this is just Slott inflating his self importance. I think what happened was really a lot simpler. He applied for the internship, and was turned down, but was told he could apply again in a few months. He did so, and got the internship. Then he got offered a staff position, which he accepted. And then there was likely some issue with his payroll, which he had to get sorted out. Slott probably had a handful of interactions with Defalco, none of which had anything to do with payroll, and he's just equating the incidents in his head.

That's the tricky thing with memory. Especially if you are someone who tends to fabricate a story to make themselves look good in any situation. Slott also did this with the Crawlspace itself, rebranding it as this "Frat house" of people who are just "Upset" about the marriage being gone and just want to endlessly hate his work. When in reality his biggest issue with the Crawlspace is that the site would not allow him to endlessly berate and belittle the other posters on the site when he used to come onto the boards, and treated him like every other poster. In that regard, it's more convenient if Crawlspace is just this entity out to "Get" him, rather than him being in the wrong.

Or it's how he took credit for all the "Funhouse Mirror" versions of Marvel characters in the past few years, like Kamala Kahn or Miles Morales, due to his work on Superior. Completely overlooking the fact that Miles predates Superior by several years, and there is no indication that Kamala Kahn was influenced by what Slott was doing on ASM, and was instead a more personal story from the author.

Or how Slott tried to spin a story about how he tried to make a "Funny" comment on another board several years ago, when he claimed that another, separate poster, was actually Slott "In disguise." That poster immediately started to get harassed on several boards due to people being upset that they felt that this poster lied to them and pretended to be someone else, when in "Reality" he was Slott "In disguise." Slott apparently apologized to the poster, but in private. And he never publicly apologized for his actions. Instead he tried to spin it as "Don't you see? That's what us writers on the book were getting all the time!" Never acknowledging that people may have been upset for different reasons, and trying to spin it so that he was never at fault.

That's Slott's history. He reinvents the narrative to make himself look good, and everyone else look bad. And I have no doubt that he's doing the same thing here.

Because, here's the thing- if he's trying to take credit for the amount of paperwork a college intern has to sign to work at Marvel, he must have a massive ego to think that it's there all because of him and him alone. Marvel is a massive multi media corporation with offices all over the world, which is now the division of a massive global conglomerate, who are likely going to be very sensitive about the information they share. So they absolutely have to take steps to make sure that they are covered legally in case anything happens. And they wouldn't put all this stuff in place just because of one guy, several decades ago. And if they did, you can be sure that said person would not have continued to work at Marvel, or be allowed back to work for Marvel in any capacity.

User avatar
Spideydude
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 4364
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2004 11:05 am
Location: Texas Panhandle Chapter of the Crawl Space Command Center

Re: Axel Alonso Replaced.

Post by Spideydude » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:00 am

The reply of "I've had the pleasure" is the interviewer. Not Slott
This Post was Brought to you by... Spideydude! Your Friendly Neighborhood Administrator!
Check out My Exclusive Online SeriesCrawl Space Avengers!
CSA Member Since 2003 Delta House Member: Cyclone

JR Fettingers Marvel:I'd hire Spideydude to be me at conventions, with his cowboy hat, a cigar sticking out of his mouth, and a beer in his hand because he would certainly look a lot "cooler" and "more relatable" to the fanbase that a short, gray haired middle aged man.

Image

Chase the Blues Away
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey
Posts: 546
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:13 pm

Re: Axel Alonso Replaced.

Post by Chase the Blues Away » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:49 pm

RDMacQ wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:29 am
Yeah, I honestly don't think this is how it happened in any way shape or form.

First of all, I doubt they'd kick him out after "Five minutes." Also, those "Forms" he'd have to sign would likely have to have the name of his college on it. Marvel also would likely have to check with the college, go through a review process and set things up with the college itself to process the credit. People don't just show up for internships, and the company has to say "We'll give you college credit." It kind of has to go through a process. They don't just rely on the intern to pass the information back and forth.

Also, note how Slott kind of skips over the whole issue of him saying he lied, and then them giving him the job. Sorry, but if you lied to take an internship, then the people in charge aren't going to hire you. You just showed yourself to be completely untrustworthy. There is no reason why they should accept that this person- after just a month of work- would be someone they'd want to hire on full time.

I'm also not sure that the EIC would be in charge of payroll. Why would Slott go to Tom Defalco? An issue like that would be better served through other departments. The EIC hands out the stories. He doesn't issue the paychecks. That's handled through the accounting and payroll department. Like it is at pretty much every company.

Notice how he also kind of gives a backhanded compliment to Defalco. "Oh, he's a great guy, but ruled with an iron fist!" And "Yeah, I've had the pleasure." Sounds like Slott didn't much care for Defalco. So it's no surprise that he's crafted this story where he outsmarts everyone at Marvel, including the EIC, but everyone just loves him so much they wouldn't dare fire him. Which every single company would have done in such a situation.

Honestly, I think this is just Slott inflating his self importance. I think what happened was really a lot simpler. He applied for the internship, and was turned down, but was told he could apply again in a few months. He did so, and got the internship. Then he got offered a staff position, which he accepted. And then there was likely some issue with his payroll, which he had to get sorted out. Slott probably had a handful of interactions with Defalco, none of which had anything to do with payroll, and he's just equating the incidents in his head.

That's the tricky thing with memory. Especially if you are someone who tends to fabricate a story to make themselves look good in any situation. Slott also did this with the Crawlspace itself, rebranding it as this "Frat house" of people who are just "Upset" about the marriage being gone and just want to endlessly hate his work. When in reality his biggest issue with the Crawlspace is that the site would not allow him to endlessly berate and belittle the other posters on the site when he used to come onto the boards, and treated him like every other poster. In that regard, it's more convenient if Crawlspace is just this entity out to "Get" him, rather than him being in the wrong.

Or it's how he took credit for all the "Funhouse Mirror" versions of Marvel characters in the past few years, like Kamala Kahn or Miles Morales, due to his work on Superior. Completely overlooking the fact that Miles predates Superior by several years, and there is no indication that Kamala Kahn was influenced by what Slott was doing on ASM, and was instead a more personal story from the author.

Or how Slott tried to spin a story about how he tried to make a "Funny" comment on another board several years ago, when he claimed that another, separate poster, was actually Slott "In disguise." That poster immediately started to get harassed on several boards due to people being upset that they felt that this poster lied to them and pretended to be someone else, when in "Reality" he was Slott "In disguise." Slott apparently apologized to the poster, but in private. And he never publicly apologized for his actions. Instead he tried to spin it as "Don't you see? That's what us writers on the book were getting all the time!" Never acknowledging that people may have been upset for different reasons, and trying to spin it so that he was never at fault.

That's Slott's history. He reinvents the narrative to make himself look good, and everyone else look bad. And I have no doubt that he's doing the same thing here.

Because, here's the thing- if he's trying to take credit for the amount of paperwork a college intern has to sign to work at Marvel, he must have a massive ego to think that it's there all because of him and him alone. Marvel is a massive multi media corporation with offices all over the world, which is now the division of a massive global conglomerate, who are likely going to be very sensitive about the information they share. So they absolutely have to take steps to make sure that they are covered legally in case anything happens. And they wouldn't put all this stuff in place just because of one guy, several decades ago. And if they did, you can be sure that said person would not have continued to work at Marvel, or be allowed back to work for Marvel in any capacity.
I have no idea what happens in the head of Dan Slott, and I never want to find out.

However, a counter anecdote: As a former college intern who got their first job out of college via an internship, and as a hiring manager, I find his story plausible. He got a college professor to sign off on his internship papers, and that's all I had to do, too, since the internship was taking the place of a class. It's plausible the HR department didn't check further. At that time, Marvel was owned by New World, which was based across the country in Los Angeles, and had its own difficulties.

As for having to talk to DeFalco, another anecdote: I once had an employee who lied. Not about his employment status, but about a leak of confidential information. He denied being the leaker to me, his direct manager, and I reported his denial to my bosses. A few days later, the president of my division called him into his office. They had gone through all our correspondence and found my employee had sent the email.

He kept his job but was put on probabation, and he is truly excellent at what he does and is otherwise an exemplary employee. However, I can see someone who lied about his employment status having to talk to the head of the division because the ultimate hiring and firing authority rests with that head. Payroll and HR take their cues from hiring managers.

User avatar
RDMacQ
Captain Universe
Captain Universe
Posts: 4320
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:58 pm

Re: Axel Alonso Replaced.

Post by RDMacQ » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:48 pm

Chase the Blues Away wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:49 pm
I have no idea what happens in the head of Dan Slott, and I never want to find out.

However, a counter anecdote: As a former college intern who got their first job out of college via an internship, and as a hiring manager, I find his story plausible. He got a college professor to sign off on his internship papers, and that's all I had to do, too, since the internship was taking the place of a class. It's plausible the HR department didn't check further. At that time, Marvel was owned by New World, which was based across the country in Los Angeles, and had its own difficulties.

As for having to talk to DeFalco, another anecdote: I once had an employee who lied. Not about his employment status, but about a leak of confidential information. He denied being the leaker to me, his direct manager, and I reported his denial to my bosses. A few days later, the president of my division called him into his office. They had gone through all our correspondence and found my employee had sent the email.

He kept his job but was put on probabation, and he is truly excellent at what he does and is otherwise an exemplary employee. However, I can see someone who lied about his employment status having to talk to the head of the division because the ultimate hiring and firing authority rests with that head. Payroll and HR take their cues from hiring managers.
Still, given Slott's penchant for rewriting the narrative to make himself look either like the hero or the innocent victim, I still doubt everything went down the exact way he claims.

His college professor, for instance, could have gotten into a lot of trouble if this came to light. Why would the prof risks doing this just for one student?

User avatar
Enigma_2099
Avenger
Avenger
Posts: 1148
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:25 am
Location: CLASSIFIED

Re: Axel Alonso Replaced.

Post by Enigma_2099 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:02 pm

RDMacQ wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:38 pm
And I'd say that it'd be very likely that Slott remained on ASM for so long was due to the fact that Alonzo was likely hired in order to be a continuation of Quesada's tenure in the same position. Quesada did a great job, but he's needed in other areas of the company, so lets' get a guy who won't rock the boat so much.
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!

... wait, you're being serious, aren't you?
Delta House member: Werewolf

"Are you out of your F@%#%@ MIND!?!?!?!"

~Ghost Rider to Spider-man~

Well, he SHOULD say that to him....


And I'm sorry, Brad... I know you said she's all about sex, but you're f****** wrong.

~Donovan Grant~

User avatar
RDMacQ
Captain Universe
Captain Universe
Posts: 4320
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:58 pm

Re: Axel Alonso Replaced.

Post by RDMacQ » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:06 pm

Enigma_2099 wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:02 pm
RDMacQ wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:38 pm
And I'd say that it'd be very likely that Slott remained on ASM for so long was due to the fact that Alonzo was likely hired in order to be a continuation of Quesada's tenure in the same position. Quesada did a great job, but he's needed in other areas of the company, so lets' get a guy who won't rock the boat so much.
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!

... wait, you're being serious, aren't you?
Uh, yeah. I disagree with him on OMD, but Quesada did do a lot of good within the company.

I'm not going to pretend that Quesada did nothing of value during his tenure at Marvel. Or try to rewrite the narrative to make him some sort of monster. I don't like what he did with Spider-Man, but he did do a lot of stuff I did enjoy. Like bringing on JMS and Brian Bendis onto the Spider-Man franchise, for one.

User avatar
Enigma_2099
Avenger
Avenger
Posts: 1148
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:25 am
Location: CLASSIFIED

Re: Axel Alonso Replaced.

Post by Enigma_2099 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:32 pm

RDMacQ wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:06 pm
Enigma_2099 wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:02 pm
RDMacQ wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:38 pm
And I'd say that it'd be very likely that Slott remained on ASM for so long was due to the fact that Alonzo was likely hired in order to be a continuation of Quesada's tenure in the same position. Quesada did a great job, but he's needed in other areas of the company, so lets' get a guy who won't rock the boat so much.
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!

... wait, you're being serious, aren't you?
Uh, yeah. I disagree with him on OMD, but Quesada did do a lot of good within the company.

I'm not going to pretend that Quesada did nothing of value during his tenure at Marvel. Or try to rewrite the narrative to make him some sort of monster.
What are you accusing me of here? I don't have to make up anything to have a problem with Quesada. He did enough to sour my opinion of him on his own.
RDMacQ wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:06 pm
I don't like what he did with Spider-Man, but he did do a lot of stuff I did enjoy. Like bringing on JMS and Brian Bendis onto the Spider-Man franchise, for one.
That's you... and you do you. More power to you. But NOTHING that man has done positively will ever make up for what he broke in my eyes. And as for JMS and BMB, Bendis was killing it on a book I wasn't reading and well... we all know how JMS wound up thanks to Quesada.
Delta House member: Werewolf

"Are you out of your F@%#%@ MIND!?!?!?!"

~Ghost Rider to Spider-man~

Well, he SHOULD say that to him....


And I'm sorry, Brad... I know you said she's all about sex, but you're f****** wrong.

~Donovan Grant~

User avatar
RDMacQ
Captain Universe
Captain Universe
Posts: 4320
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:58 pm

Re: Axel Alonso Replaced.

Post by RDMacQ » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:35 pm

Enigma_2099 wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:32 pm
What are you accusing me of here? I don't have to make up anything to have a problem with Quesada. He did enough to sour my opinion of him on his own.
And he did a lot of things I disagree with as well. But I don't think his entire tenure is a wash.
That's you... and you do you. More power to you. But NOTHING that man has done positively will ever make up for what he broke in my eyes. And as for JMS and BMB, Bendis was killing it on a book I wasn't reading and well... we all know how JMS wound up thanks to Quesada.
It still doesn't change the fact that it was due to Quesada that JMS and Bendis got a chance to work on Spider-Man to begin with.

User avatar
Enigma_2099
Avenger
Avenger
Posts: 1148
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:25 am
Location: CLASSIFIED

Re: Axel Alonso Replaced.

Post by Enigma_2099 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:47 pm

RDMacQ wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:35 pm

And he did a lot of things I disagree with as well. But I don't think his entire tenure is a wash.
And I'm not gonna start dancing in the streets singing his praise, so let's agree to disagree and move on.
RDMacQ wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:35 pm

It still doesn't change the fact that it was due to Quesada that JMS and Bendis got a chance to work on Spider-Man to begin with.
Doesn't invalidate MY point, either.
Delta House member: Werewolf

"Are you out of your F@%#%@ MIND!?!?!?!"

~Ghost Rider to Spider-man~

Well, he SHOULD say that to him....


And I'm sorry, Brad... I know you said she's all about sex, but you're f****** wrong.

~Donovan Grant~

User avatar
Timmyb52
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey
Posts: 851
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:27 pm
Location: Battle Creek,Michigan

Re: Axel Alonso Replaced.

Post by Timmyb52 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:03 pm

I find it very odd how Quesada all of a sudden wants to be involved more in publishing again now that a new EIC is coming aboard. IMHO...it stinks and makes me afraid that CB's decisions and choices in regards to righting the Marvel ship and Spidey will be over ridden by Quesada.
I wish Quesada would leave the comics division alone and just go back to his cartoons...or whatever it is he does that keeps his influence out of the books.
With Quesada lurking over CB like a vulture...it does not bode well IMHO.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 20 guests