Crawl Space #12 Discussion Thread

The official home of the unauthorized, original continuity Spider-Man web series by Kevin Cushing.
Kevin Cushing
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Crawl Space #12 Discussion Thread

Post by Kevin Cushing » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:40 pm

Right under the wire, Crawl Space #12 is here on its promised date! So what did you think? And how about all that amazing art, huh? A big hand for all the variant artists who worked hard to put this project together! And, of course, mucho praise to Hambone for all that grueling design work! And don't forget bdog, who had to to color six covers for this one issue, and put the logo on the others, too! I have an amazing team, folks, and I couldn't do this without them! [smilie=spidey_clap.gif]

If you haven't read this issue yet, what are you waiting for? Go read before you're spoiled!

And don't forget to check out the pencils for one of the four amazing covers for Spider-Man: Crawl Space Annual #1 at Spideydude.com!
Join my page on Facebook to keep up to date with all writing projects, podcasts, and everything else I'm involved in!

"The ground quakes and the heavens cry tears of blood when Kevin gives out his brand of Crawlspace justice. Babies cry, grown men avert their eyes, women pass out and even the wind gives pause. Kevin’s eyes glow and lightning crackles around them. It’s pretty epic and definitely not for the timid." - Michael Bailey

Donomark
Avenger
Avenger

Re: Crawl Space #12 Discussion Thread

Post by Donomark » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:47 pm

Wow man, I gotta say after not digging the last issue as much as I tend to, this turned out to be possibly my favorite. I thought you got everything right, from Ben's characterization, to the juxtaposition of the drama to the fight scenes. Everything really worked, and I was hella entertained. Favorite line was Spidey's "Ok! Let's just keep that on then!" That made me LOL. Seriously, excellent issue man. I thoroughly, thoroughly enjoyed it.

[smilie=spidey_thumbs.gif] [smilie=spidey_thumbs.gif] [smilie=spidey_thumbs.gif]

Shadow116
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey

Post by Shadow116 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:58 pm

I know this would be the part where I'd usually ramble on and go into my regular review, but there are no words to describe how much I loved this issue, and those AMAZING variants. So I'll just skip to my rating....

10 Scarlet Spiders out of 10 [smilie=spidey_dude.gif]

Grandiose job everyone I think you all deserve some internet applause [smilie=spidey_clap.gif] [smilie=spidey_clap.gif] [smilie=spidey_clap.gif] [smilie=spidey_clap.gif] .
With great power there must also come great responsibility.

The Friendly Neighborhood Writer

Delta House Member: BLUES

Kevin Cushing
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Post by Kevin Cushing » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:12 pm

Donomark wrote:Wow man, I gotta say after not digging the last issue as much as I tend to, this turned out to be possibly my favorite. I thought you got everything right, from Ben's characterization, to the juxtaposition of the drama to the fight scenes. Everything really worked, and I was hella entertained. Favorite line was Spidey's "Ok! Let's just keep that on then!" That made me LOL. Seriously, excellent issue man. I thoroughly, thoroughly enjoyed it.

[smilie=spidey_thumbs.gif] [smilie=spidey_thumbs.gif] [smilie=spidey_thumbs.gif]
Shadow116 wrote:I know this'd be the part where I'd usually ramble on and go into my regular review, but there are no words to describe how much I loved this issue. So I'll just skip to my rating....

10 Scarlet Spiders out of 10 [smilie=spidey_dude.gif]
Thanks so much, guys, I'm really glad you enjoyed it!
Join my page on Facebook to keep up to date with all writing projects, podcasts, and everything else I'm involved in!

"The ground quakes and the heavens cry tears of blood when Kevin gives out his brand of Crawlspace justice. Babies cry, grown men avert their eyes, women pass out and even the wind gives pause. Kevin’s eyes glow and lightning crackles around them. It’s pretty epic and definitely not for the timid." - Michael Bailey

Sarcasmic
Avenger
Avenger

Post by Sarcasmic » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:23 pm

Gotta say I wasn't digging this issue as much as I hoped to...
The last few pages (29-32) especially...
And I'm not greatly familiar with Ben Reily, but I thought the Peter\Ben stuff was hit n' miss in terms of comedy/drama
However, I got a big laugh out of
BEN CAP:
Sending me out with used web-cartridges and no replacements. My brother the freakin’ comedian.
And my favorite moment of the issue was
when the clone tuned into the Spider-signal from the tracer. That was what happened, right?
And you write an amazing Peter/MJ
I'm kinda sad OMIT is over, simply because I was thrilled at the prospect of Spidey Crawl Space so often...
And loving the Annual cover

RHagen
Webslinger
Webslinger

Post by RHagen » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:26 pm

Finally, the real Spider-Man title hits the digital shelves of the Crawl Space...and there was much rejoicing. [smilie=spidey_cheers.gif]

Now a potentially spoiler filled commentary can commence
1. I liked how you invoked the memory of a loving and supportive Aunt May in explanation of the new 'Scarlet Spider' costume. You really did a good job of combining the best elements of ASM #400 with the May of JMS's run. Plus, the 'hoodie putdowns' were funny. I'm sure some folks on the board will enjoy them more than others.

2. The chance meeting of Carlie and Ben at the Parker house was interesting, and handled well. That they got along well is not too surprising, considering how much Ben and Peter have in common. It is also a nice and subtle jab at how much the Brain Trust has squandered Carlie's potential in their heavy-handed way of trying to convince the ASM readership that she is' The One' for Peter Parker. However, it will be interesting to see how a Flash, Carlie and Ben triangle will play out.

3. I also caught the mention of empty web cartridges and I couldn't help but think this was poking fun at how that trope was run into the ground during the first few months of BND.

4. The escaped 'Evil Peter' Clone thinking he's Norman was cool. It reminded me a little of what DeFalco did in the last arc of the Amazing Spider-Girl, as well drawing on aspects of the 'Revenge of the Green Goblin' storyline. Hmm, I think we SMCS readers should all take a cue from JJJ and call him Parker Osborn from now on. (BTW, Jonah's guest appearance was keen and spot on. It was nice to see him at the helm of the Bugle again.)

5. Your much-professed love of the 90's Spider-Man cartoon really shone through in the hospital scene with Morbius and Felicia. It'll be interesting to see where this sub-plot goes.
There are other things I could comment on, but I wanted to get my first thoughts up while they were fresh. 5/5 Score. [smilie=spidey_thumbs.gif]
"If a spider could sling a web like you, it would sling so much better..."

"Continuity, continuity, continuity" ~ the rule that all good writers should be follow.

Delta House Member "Killbot"
Friendly Fire Season One - "The JoMo'" Award -Banner

666andahalf
Webslinger
Webslinger

Post by 666andahalf » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:28 pm

This issue is the single best argument as to why Ben Reilly needed to stay alive in ASM.

With Ben around you can have the best of both worlds... a single and married Peter Parker at the same time!

Well done Kevin!!!! [smilie=spidey_thumbs.gif]
"With great power... comes great fun!" - Topher Grace describing Venom.

"Venom is Eddie Brock and the alien symbiote. Anyone else is not Venom. You can call it Venom, it can look like Venom... it's not going to be Venom." - David Michelinie
Kevin Cushing wrote:Bad writing is Venom's greatest weakness.

Kevin Cushing
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Post by Kevin Cushing » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:47 pm

Sarcasmic wrote:Gotta say I wasn't digging this issue as much as I hoped to...
The last few pages (29-32) especially...
Sorry to hear that, hopefully you'll dig where it's going more!
Sarcasmic wrote:And my favorite moment of the issue was
when the clone tuned into the Spider-signal from the tracer. That was what happened, right?
Yep, that's exactly what happened!
Sarcasmic wrote:And you write an amazing Peter/MJ
I'm kinda sad OMIT is over, simply because I was thrilled at the prospect of Spidey Crawl Space so often...
And loving the Annual cover
Thanks man! I've gotten myself pretty busy with a new project right now, but hopefully we'll be back before too long with the Annual! Thanks for reading!
RHagen wrote:Finally, the real Spider-Man title hits the digital shelves of the Crawl Space...and there was much rejoicing. [smilie=spidey_cheers.gif]

5/5 Score. [smilie=spidey_thumbs.gif]
Thanks very much, glad you enjoyed it!
Rhagen wrote:
4. The escaped 'Evil Peter' Clone thinking he's Norman was cool.
Who says he just thinks he's Norman? :wink:
666andahalf wrote:This issue is the single best argument as to why Ben Reilly needed to stay alive in ASM.

With Ben around you can have the best of both worlds... a single and married Peter Parker at the same time!

Well done Kevin!!!! [smilie=spidey_thumbs.gif]
Thanks, man! I really appreciate that. glad you dug it!

Venomaniac
Avenger
Avenger

Post by Venomaniac » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:30 pm

Oddly It wasnt as emotional an issue as last tine

But it was REALLY REALLY good

I cannot wait to see what happens next!

One thing though: I find it odd Peter would say"ya" and "buddy".

Interested at a Ben-Carlie-Flash triangle, though the Morb/Felicia thing interests me much more

And the covers- OH MY GOD!

If Marvel wants the next generation of artists, just look on this site!

4.5 webs out of 5 [smilie=spidey_thumbs.gif]

If you liked Lost... you will love Fringe
If you liked the X-Files... you will love Fringe

http://www.fringetelevision.com/2009/11 ... ringe.html
http://www.fringebloggers.com/fringe-se ... more-20649
http://www.fringebloggers.com/just-the- ... more-21165
http://www.fringebloggers.com/fringe-se ... more-20971
If there is any sports team that Spider-Man embodies...it is the New York Islanders
The Wave Beam: shoots electric Kitty Prydes at people at the speed of light. -CrazyChris

DarkKnightJared
Avenger
Avenger

Post by DarkKnightJared » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:17 pm

So, after a massive cliffhanger like revealing Spider-Man's daughter, you decide to do some side-stories in an Annual.

You cruel, cruel tease. :evil:

I'm also curious about this Jared character--there's something interesting going on, but yeah, I wanna see what the guy with my name is going to do next. :P

musicfighter
Webslinger
Webslinger

Post by musicfighter » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:09 am

Oh my gosh so much stuff.....

Well, I guess to start, kudos to every single artist that contributed to this issue. Seriously amazing (pun intended) work here. Its so great to see the talent that exists around here.

Also, I think its great to see that you could get the issue out on time. Seriously, its been great to get this much good Spidey in such a short time, and hopefully we will be able to see a more consistent schedule from here on out. Just know that your effort (and I'm sure you put tons of it into this) is really appreciated.

My first thoughts go to how you portrayed MJ this issue. One common criticism of the marriage is MJ and how boring some have thought she had become after the wedding. And I would have to agree somewhat. It feels like most post-marriage writers forgot MJs real personality and made her a kind of boring, mostly serious "Mrs Spider-Man". I would probably say Micheline avoided this problem the most of all the notable marriage writers. Its difficult to strike a balance between an MJ that obviously needs to be more mature to match Peter, but still have some personality that is distinct to her original depiction back in Lee's run. Obviously, some of it was a facade, but I do believe that the real Mary Jane still has this bright, energetic (I think JR called it 'bubbly" in one of his articles), personality that is often downplayed by modern Spidey writers, pro and anti marriage alike. As I had been reading Crawl Space, I thought I had seen a similar pattern with how you wrote her, with the notable exception of how she interacted with Carlie. But something about how she was portrayed this issue, especially in the Charity Ball scene, gave me this feeling that "I'm reading Mary Jane, not Mrs. Spider-Man", and it was really refreshing. So keep up with that.

Morbius and Black Cat, oh my, makes my 90s series senses tingle. I'm really interested about what you do here.

This brings me to the biggest point of the issue, Ben Reilly. Wasn't sure what to think last issue when you brought him back. But this issue, you used Ben to fix all issues that anyone can have with a married Spider-Man, and I really think that this is going to make for a really interesting dynamic.

-First, you have allowed Peter to move on to a more sophisticated job, but because of Ben, we're still gonna get the Daily Bugle cast, which usually is shoved to the side when Pete decides to change careers.

-Next, I feel that Ben will become the more "relatable" of the two Spider-Men. Not to knock on Peter since I still think he's awesome, but Ben is now our "everyman".

-Finally, and most importantly, you have given us romantic tension that is actual romantic tension. With Peter and MJ out of the running, and Ben not having as solid a "true love" as Peter, we will actually be able to see him dealing with relationships, and we won't ever be able to assume that its automatically "doomed to fail". The fact that seeds may have already been sown for a Ben-Carlie-Flash triangle actually has me really excited.

Ben coming back may be the single smartest thing you've done with the series so far. You have actually successfully made it so we can have our cake and eat it too, and what a cake made of epic win it is.

Bravo [smilie=spidey_clap.gif]

aspman
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Post by aspman » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:06 am

Wow! This is why I continue to visit my favorite Spider-man website pretty much every day, in hopes for a new chapter in Kevin's Crawl Space (not to mention the daily strip!). If only you were doing the current Amazing Spider-man! This issue had everything a clone fan could want and more! After reading the final chapter of OMIT this evening, and being quite disappointed, I check the ol' Crawlspace and am quite pleased. I'm an old fart in his late 40's who's been reading Spider-man since 1973, and your stories stand up to some of those classics from Stan Lee and John Romita. I was one of the few clone saga fans and love the way you brought Ben Reilly back. If only Marvel would pay attention! Anyway, I don't want to ramble on, just want to say thank you for some great story-telling and I look forward to the next chapter. Long live Spider-man Crawl Space!!!

Aspman

http://sharonandandy.com

Kevin Cushing
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Post by Kevin Cushing » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:01 am

Venomaniac wrote:If Marvel wants the next generation of artists, just look on this site!
Damn straight!
Venomaniac wrote:4.5 webs out of 5 [smilie=spidey_thumbs.gif]
Thanks, man, glad you liked it!
DarkKnightJared wrote:So, after a massive cliffhanger like revealing Spider-Man's daughter, you decide to do some side-stories in an Annual.

You cruel, cruel tease. :evil:
Hey, I hear ya, but some of these stories are very necessary before we move on. Plus, this was very much the "season finale." Think of the Annual as the "24: Redemption" movie between seasons. Except, ya know, I don't intend for it to suck...
musicfighter wrote:Just know that your effort (and I'm sure you put tons of it into this) is really appreciated.
Thanks! I really appreciate that!
musicfighter wrote:My first thoughts go to how you portrayed MJ this issue[...]something about how she was portrayed this issue, especially in the Charity Ball scene, gave me this feeling that "I'm reading Mary Jane, not Mrs. Spider-Man", and it was really refreshing. So keep up with that.
That's very good to hear, glad you feel that way!
musicfighter wrote:Ben coming back may be the single smartest thing you've done with the series so far. You have actually successfully made it so we can have our cake and eat it too, and what a cake made of epic win it is.

Bravo [smilie=spidey_clap.gif]
Thanks, musicfighter, and thanks for the lengthy review! Those are always a real treat for me. Glad you enjoyed the issue!
aspman wrote:I'm an old fart in his late 40's who's been reading Spider-man since 1973, and your stories stand up to some of those classics from Stan Lee and John Romita.
That is an epic compliment, sir. And while I don't feel I'm quite deserving of it, I thank you very much for saying it!
Aspman wrote:Anyway, I don't want to ramble on, just want to say thank you for some great story-telling and I look forward to the next chapter. Long live Spider-man Crawl Space!!!
Thank you so much, Aspman, and I'm really glad you're enjoying the series! Thanks for reading!

Hambone
Artist
Artist

Post by Hambone » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:00 pm

Really like this issue, Kev. (Granted, I wish the Cosmic Cube was going to play a bigger part in the Clone Storyline, since it's like the Ultimate Marvel Super weapon outside of the Infinity Gauntlet, but I guess it's all water under the bridge.) The spotlight on Ben as he tries to adjust was quite enjoyable and also humorous. I like that you're reintegrating the Bugle Staff into the story, as they were always a major part of Pete's extended "family." (And outside of a few cameos, have been all but forgotten in the current title.) I like also that Pete and MJ got "Centurion American Express" cards. Any chance they'll be hobnobbing with Marvel's other elite at the "Hellfire Club?" MJ would look great in a little corset. :wink:

I'm envious of all the other cover artists here! These all turned out great! (Daniel got to do SPIDER-CARNAGE! That's so unfair! :( )

Honestly, this might be my favorite Crawlspace issue to date. Looking forward to the annual!
"You want to be a genius? It's easy, just say everything stinks, then you're never wrong. That's how much of a genius I am!"

-Wilbur Cobb The Ren and Stimpy Show.

My Deviant Art Page!

FSUSpiderFan
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Post by FSUSpiderFan » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:16 pm

Another solid issue. First off, the cover artists did an amazing job!! [smilie=spidey_clap.gif] [smilie=spidey_clap.gif] [smilie=spidey_clap.gif] Ben's new costume rocks and the tributes to his others are very well done. I am in awe of the talent that is on this site. Was the white pigeon motif an intentional answer to Joe Q's evil Red pigeon?

I like the brotherly interaction between Peter and Ben. Peter seems to have taken on the elder brother role, which suits him in his place in life and as Ben searches for his. The new costume explanation made sense and was actually very touching.

I like Ben working with the Bugle but I do find it stretches the imagination that journalists would buy him being an exact duplicate but only Peter's cousin.

Peter and MJ's relationship was a refreshing change from the Marvel status quo as usual. You continue to show how they can be portrayed as a young hip, fun loving, humorous, and romantic couple.

I didn't really care for MJ's dress fitting scene with the designer. I felt it could have been shorter or used to address more important matters.

Ben's meeting with Carlie seemed strange and random. Not sure why he would spend the night talking to her when he knew she was dating Flash or why she would go with him because last we saw she was smitten with Flash. A love triangle could be interesting but it seemed a bit rushed and forced into this issue.

The Black Cat and Morbius scene did make me think of the 90's series as well. I hope he doesn't have sucker palms.... I wonder what he has in store for her. Are you referring to her previously being victimized in the Kevin Smith story?

The Jared guy seems cool. Hope to see more of him and that he turns out to be more than meets the eye.

I was surprised to see who was under the mask of the Green Goblin and thought Peter's reaction was funny. I wonder if he is a messed up clone or if Norman's brain got put in there... Did Morbius do this? and why? Now Harry is going to have to kill this guy too...
:shock:
Baby freaking May showed up and the Norman/Peter clone is taking her into his room!!!! You better not wait too long to come out with the follow up or I will track you down!!! :twisted: Any estimate for when the Annual and then 13 are coming out?