Crawl Space #11 Discussion Thread

The official home of the unauthorized, original continuity Spider-Man web series by Kevin Cushing.
SpideyFan914
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Re: Crawl Space #11 Discussion Thread

Post by SpideyFan914 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:36 pm

A quick trip to spiderfan.org (and by "quick," I mean about half an hour - yeah, I have no life, I know) reveals:

Spectacular Spider-Man #227
Maximum Clonage Part 5

That's gotta be it, but just in case, this one's ALMOST close:

But I'm pretty sure it's the first one. 8)

Kevin Cushing
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Post by Kevin Cushing » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:47 pm

SpideyFan914 wrote:A quick trip to spiderfan.org (and by "quick," I mean about half an hour - yeah, I have no life, I know) reveals:

Spectacular Spider-Man #227
Maximum Clonage Part 5
Nope (though this one might actually be closer to it than the actual one we were homaging....). Here's a hint. All three of the 'One in a Million' covers are not just in homage to great 90s Clone Saga covers - they're specifically in homage to great Ben Reilly covers.
SpideyFan914 wrote:That's gotta be it, but just in case, this one's ALMOST close:

But I'm pretty sure it's the first one. 8)
Oo, still not it, but you're so close you can probably just about taste it :wink:
Join my page on Facebook to keep up to date with all writing projects, podcasts, and everything else I'm involved in!

"The ground quakes and the heavens cry tears of blood when Kevin gives out his brand of Crawlspace justice. Babies cry, grown men avert their eyes, women pass out and even the wind gives pause. Kevin’s eyes glow and lightning crackles around them. It’s pretty epic and definitely not for the timid." - Michael Bailey

CrazyChris
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Post by CrazyChris » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:49 pm

Enigma_2099 wrote: Image
DUDE! This is great! [smilie=spidey_cheers.gif]

Kevin Cushing
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Post by Kevin Cushing » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:06 pm

Ok, here ya go. Here, one more time, is the cover for Crawl Space #11:

And here...ready for it?...is the cover being ever so subtly homaged:

The first birth of Ben Reilly. Don't see it? It's really all in the hands. Look at the hands in that cover, and then in the Crawl Space cover. Here it is without the border and logo so nothing's obscured:

I originally asked Hambone to draw the just-reborn Ben, lying on the pavement, reaching out just as he is in that cover. But Hambone thought this worked better, and I tend to agree. So he kept the hands as they were in the original to retain the homage. Yep, this was a tough one. It was fun, though, and you guys had some good guesses! MAJOR props to Spideydude for guessing it (first guess!) from the preview before the issue was even out!

And this is the last of the "Name that Homage!" cover game. All the covers to "One in a Million" being homages to great Ben Reilly covers was a sort of out-of-story clue I wanted to drop that Ben might be returning at the end of this story. Sort of a subliminal clue, if you will. So, I'm sure we will homage great covers again in the future, but the homage series is now at an end. Hope you've had fun! One way or another, I think Hambone and bdog produced some excellent covers for this arc, so I call that a win!
Join my page on Facebook to keep up to date with all writing projects, podcasts, and everything else I'm involved in!

"The ground quakes and the heavens cry tears of blood when Kevin gives out his brand of Crawlspace justice. Babies cry, grown men avert their eyes, women pass out and even the wind gives pause. Kevin’s eyes glow and lightning crackles around them. It’s pretty epic and definitely not for the timid." - Michael Bailey

spidertour02

Post by spidertour02 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:42 pm

Kevin Cushing wrote:Ok, here ya go.
That's a real stretch ...

SpideyFan914
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Post by SpideyFan914 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:14 pm

Yeah, I was thinking that maybe it was gonna be someone awake in the same position, but, um, that wasn't really a cover.... It was the first page of a backstory, and one of the only Clone saga comics I've actually read, but, uh, I didn't think it counted....

My Kaine one was SO much closer. :) Lol....

Kevin Cushing
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Post by Kevin Cushing » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:15 pm

SpideyFan914 wrote:Yeah, I was thinking that maybe it was gonna be someone awake in the same position, but, um, that wasn't really a cover.... It was the first page of a backstory, and one of the only Clone saga comics I've actually read, but, uh, I didn't think it counted....
It actually was a cover. That issue was a "flip book," so it had the cover for the main story on one side, then you flipped it over and it had the cover for the back-up story (which just happened to be the birth of Ben Reilly) on the other side.
My Kaine one was SO much closer. :) Lol....
Yeah, I can't really disagree with that :P

Heartburn
Webslinger
Webslinger

Post by Heartburn » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:18 am

Damn, I looked at that cover but thought it wasn't it... it was mocking me and I didn't see it! GAR!

Kevin I have a question though that involves the Scarlet Spider name. Since Ben is back and probably going to go back to being the Scarlet Spider do you have plans/ are going to have plans dealing with the other Scarlet Spider (Patrick) from Avengers: The Initiative? We'd be seeing two wall crawling clones going by the same name.
DELTA HOUSE MEMBER: ED HELPFUL

Hambone
Artist
Artist

Post by Hambone » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:39 pm

spidertour02 wrote:
A bit, but trust me; a naked man sitting on his butt in the middle of the street unfortunately just looks rather silly. [smilie=spidey_shrug.gif]
"You want to be a genius? It's easy, just say everything stinks, then you're never wrong. That's how much of a genius I am!"

-Wilbur Cobb The Ren and Stimpy Show.

My Deviant Art Page!

SpideyFan914
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Post by SpideyFan914 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:02 pm

Kevin Cushing wrote:
SpideyFan914 wrote:Yeah, I was thinking that maybe it was gonna be someone awake in the same position, but, um, that wasn't really a cover.... It was the first page of a backstory, and one of the only Clone saga comics I've actually read, but, uh, I didn't think it counted....
It actually was a cover. That issue was a "flip book," so it had the cover for the main story on one side, then you flipped it over and it had the cover for the back-up story (which just happened to be the birth of Ben Reilly) on the other side.
.... Oh....
Um, yeah, I read a scan online, so I didn't actually have the book.... (And, of course, that site was torn down before I could read any more.)

Extreme Spider
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey

Post by Extreme Spider » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:54 pm

Hambone wrote:
spidertour02 wrote:
A bit, but trust me; a naked man sitting on his butt in the middle of the street unfortunately just looks rather silly. [smilie=spidey_shrug.gif]
Not In New York... Especially Uptown.