Spider-Man: Crawl Space #9 - One in a Million Part 1

The official home of the unauthorized, original continuity Spider-Man web series by Kevin Cushing.
Kevin Cushing
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Spider-Man: Crawl Space #9 - One in a Million Part 1

Post by Kevin Cushing » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:02 pm

Previous Issue: Spider-Man: Crawl Space #8 – Spider-Man Black Part 6

Spider-Man: Crawl Space #9
“One in a Million Part 1: It’s Raining (Spider-)Men!”
By Kevin Cushing
Cover by David “Hambone” Crim and Brandon DP

Previously in Spider-Man: Crawl Space – The death of Aunt May kicked off a series of events that ended with Peter and Mary Jane reversing their deal with Mephisto, restoring the original timeline with all but Spider-Man’s public unmasking intact. Those that found out in any other way still know his identity.

Harry Osborn has returned from the grave, but few people know of it yet. He has killed his father and crowned himself The Goblin King, and he is now working with Morbius the Living Vampire on a project involving clones of Peter Parker. He has also brought his half-sister, Sarah Stacy, to Morbius for as-yet-unknown purposes.

When Norman Osborn’s will was read, Peter was shocked to find that Norman had left Oscorp and all his assets to him. Peter Parker has been named Chairman and CEO, and was given a limited window to accept the job. Donald Menken was named in the will as Peter’s advisor, but Menken betrayed Peter in secret, resulting in Peter’s abduction from his Oscorp office.

Peter is currently powerless following a confrontation with Simon Parker aka The Black Spider, Peter’s previously unknown brother.

*This issue’s soundtrack: “The Royal We” by Silversun Pickups. This one’s got it all: paranoid, creepy, vindictive, vengeful – everything you need for Harry vs. Peter via clones! Not to mention the first line, “We are ready for the siege.” A siege is coming, whether Peter’s ready for it or not!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPzU1Uz8ujw

PAGE 1

Panel 1: Ext. Day. Wide, iconic shot of Spider-Man webslinging through the rooftops of the city.
PETER CAP:
I love webslinging.
PETER CAP:
Soaring through the skies of New York city, feeling the wind whipping past my costume. Totally free.
PETER CAP:
There’s nothing I’d rather be doing right now.

Panel 2: Spider-Man is diving downward, toward an alley.
PETER CAP:
And if I’m lucky, something below catches my attention.
PETER CAP:
The freefall is exhilarating, not just because of the speed and the inherent danger, but because I know I’m about to get a chance to do some good.

Panel 3: At the very edge of an alley, just beside the sidewalk, we see a man holding a woman against the wall, kissing her hard. From the top corner of the panel, we see Spider-Man descending close to them, focused on them.
PETER CAP:
And sadly, it seems like there are more scumbags in the world every day, victimizing the innocent, for me to take down.

Panel 4: Small panel of the man and woman having turned towards Spider-Man, smiling, and the woman is pointing. It is clear now that they are a couple.
WOMAN:
Look, honey, it’s Spider-Man!

Panel 5: Spider-Man is punching the man in the face hard, knocking him down. The woman is screaming.
PETER CAP:
But that’s not me today.

PAGE 2

Panel 1: Int. A lab in the Baxter Building. Close, upper body shot of Peter, shirtless, sitting on an exam table.
PETER CAP:
Today I’m powerless, just waiting to hear my fate.
PETER:
So, Doc, how’s it look? Will I ever play the violin again?

Panel 2: Pull out to see Reed Richards, aka Mr. Fantastic, sitting at a computer beside Peter’s exam table, looking at test results.
REED:
I highly doubt you’ll ever play the violin, but I can guarantee you’ll get your powers back.

Panel 3: Reed, still in his chair, has turned to talk to Peter directly.
PETER:
How long?
REED:
I can’t give you an exact date, but it’s been one week already?
PETER:
About.
REED:
I’d say they’ll start coming back any day now, but it won’t be all at once. They’ll come back totally at random, and they won’t be at full strength at first. In my estimation, you’ll probably be fully back to normal in about one more week, give or take.

Panel 4: Peter is putting his shirt back on, and Reed is getting up from his chair.
PETER:
I really don’t understand this, Reed. If all that good ol’ radioactive spider-blood went bye-bye…
REED:
I don’t think it’s been just your blood for a long time, Peter. After all, you’ve been physically altered. Those webshooters and stingers are still inside you even now, I think your brain just can’t operate them after the complete system shock of losing all your own blood.

PAGE 3

Panel 1: Peter and Reed are walking down a hallway in the Baxter Building.
REED:
You’re Spider-Man all the way down to the DNA level. Replacing your blood with normal blood can’t change that.
REED:
Right now your DNA is in the process of altering your new blood to work with you the way it should. It’s quite incredible, really.

Panel 2: Still walking, farther down the hall.
PETER:
So…I’m a mutant?
REED:
That depends on how you define “mutant.” Using the most basic definition, I’m a mutant, too. But I don’t think the X-Men are ready for us just yet.

Panel 3: Inside a small, ‘homey’ room of the Baxter Building, we see Mary Jane and Sue Richards at a little table having tea, smiling and enjoying each other’s company. Beyond them we see the door to this room, which Reed and Peter are just getting to from the hall.
SUE:
…and you know I make for an excellent reference if you need one.
MJ:
Thanks, Sue, but I think Mary Jane Parker getting a reference from a superhero might raise a few questions I’d rather not answer about my husband.

Panel 4: Same view, but Reed and Peter have stepped through the door and are walking toward Sue and MJ.
SUE:
Maybe. But I think sometimes you forget that you’re just as much of a celebrity as your husband.
PETER:
Bad news, honey. The Doc gave me only one more week to live.

Panel 5: Close on MJ and Sue, looking over to Peter, shocked.

PAGE 4

Panel 1: Peter is smiling and has his arms out, hoping MJ will run into them. Reed is behind him, head hanging, shaking his head but slightly grinning, too. MJ (who we see at the table with Sue from behind) is already starting to hop out of her chair.
PETER:
…as a normal human being, ‘cause Spidey’s coming back, baby!

Panel 2: MJ has leapt into Peter’s arms, kissing him as they both smile.

Panel 3: MJ, having pulled back from the kiss, is still smiling but punching Peter hard in the shoulder.
PETER:
Ow!

Panel 4: MJ, her forehead resting on Peter’s, is scolding him, waving a finger at him, but still smiling.
MJ:
You need to learn about appropriate times for jokes, mister!

Panel 5: Peter and MJ are walking out of the room, Peter’s hand behind her back, guiding her. Reed and Sue are standing together, smiling, watching them leave.
PETER:
Now if you’ll both excuse us, my wife needs a present!
MJ:
Oo, present?

PAGE 5

Panel 1: Ext. Day. A dark back alley. A grungy man with a gun is holding it towards a frightened woman at the end of the alley, rifling through her purse with his other hand.
MJ CAP:
“What’re ya gonna give me?”
MAN:
Come on, lady, what’re ya gonna give me?

Panel 2: Behind the man, we see Spider-Man landing on the ground from a webline. The man isn’t aware of him yet, throwing down the purse and advancing on the woman.
MAN:
There ain’t crap in here! Guess I’ll have to take my due some other way!

Panel 3: Spider-Man is abruptly and violently throwing the man against the wall of the alley, likely killing him with the force. The woman is extremely relieved.
WOMAN:
Oh, thank you, Spider-Man! I don’t know what I--!

Panel 4: Spider-Man is advancing on the woman, who is starting to look confused and worried, as the man lies in a clump on the ground behind him.
WOMAN:
Spider-Man? Are you ok? What’re you--?

Panel 5: Spider-Man is throwing the woman against the wall, with equal force as that he used on the man.
PETER CAP:
“It’s not technically from me.”

PAGE 6

Panel 1: Ext. Day. Peter is driving a convertible with MJ, who is blindfolded, in the passenger seat. They are driving down a residential street.
MJ:
Is it a pony?
PETER:
No.
MJ:
Is it a surprise party?
PETER:
No.
MJ:
Is it my induction into the Avengers?
PETER:
No.

Panel 2: The car has stopped, and it’s a wide shot to show they are parked in front of Aunt May’s house in Forrest Hills. Peter is opening his door to get out.
MJ:
Is it Orlando Bloom?
PETER:
Hey!
MJ:
So that’s a ‘no’ to Orlando Bloom, then?

Panel 3: Peter has walked around to MJ’s side of the car and is pulling her blindfold off.
MJ:
I’d settle for Viggo Mortensen. Is it Viggo--?

Panel 4: Close on MJ, blindfold off, very surprised.
MJ:
--Mor…ten…oh my God.

Panel 5: Peter has MJ’s door open, and has taken her hand as she steps out of the car. MJ continues to stare at the house.
MJ:
Peter, I thought…I thought since Harry had May’s house rebuilt – ya know, back then - that…that it wouldn’t be here anymore when we changed things back.
PETER:
Well, people’s memories adjusted to forget or change things that didn’t make sense, like Harry being back from the dead all of a sudden, but—

Panel 6: Peter and MJ are holding hands as they walk up to the door.
PETER:
--I talked to some of the construction guys who worked on the rebuilding. They remember building it; they just can’t seem to remember who paid them for it. But since their bank accounts haven’t been altered, they really don’t care.

PAGE 7

Panel 1: Peter and MJ have entered the house. MJ is in the (fully furnished) living room, happy and excited, having just been looking around and now turned back to Peter, as Peter looks on.
MJ:
So this house – this is your present?
PETER:
Aunt May left it to us in her will. I checked it out and took care of all the paperwork. It’s all paid off and it’s in both our names. I wanted to surprise you.

Panel 2: MJ is hugging Peter tight.
MJ:
Altering reality is messy and confusing and we should never do it again.
PETER:
Agreed.
MJ:
But this is amazing.
PETER:
Agreed.

Panel 3: Peter and MJ are walking upstairs.
MJ:
I hope you’ve got this place fully stocked, though. You don’t have much time to get ready now, do you?
PETER:
Everything’s here. I hired some movers to take care of getting our stuff in while we were at the Baxter Building.
MJ:
Everything?
PETER:
Well, I moved certain costumes and whatnot myself last night while you and Carlie were having your ladies night.

Panel 4: In the master bedroom, Peter is rooting around in the closet as MJ looks around.
MJ:
You are a sneaky, sneaky man.
PETER:
Well, ya know what they say. Proportionate creepiness of a spider.

Panel 5: MJ is sitting down on the bed, looking at Peter, who is off-panel, and smiling.
PETER (op):
How does this one look?

PAGE 8

Panel 1: Extremely close shot of just Peter’s neck and shoulders. We see that he’s wearing a tie and a jacket.
MJ CAP:
“Peter Parker in a suit. One of my favorite rarities.”

Panel 2: Int. The board room of Oscorp Headquarters. Peter stands at the head of the table, the rest of which is populated by the old stuffy men of the Oscorp board of directors.
PETER:
Gentlemen, it’s a brand new day here at Oscorp.

Panel 3: Peter is holding a remote control, pointed at a projector screen to the side of the table, which is now displaying schematics for the Green Goblin’s costume and accessories.
PETER:
For years, Norman Osborn ran his operations as the Green Goblin out of this company.
PETER:
He used its technology and labs to create his weapons and gliders, he used its money to bribe and manipulate people, and he used its warehouses to hide his equipment and himself.

Panel 4: Peter has his hands on the table, leaning in towards the gathered board members, and talking seriously.
PETER:
Now that I’m in charge of this company, we are going to make sure the Green Goblin is not its legacy.
PETER:
We are going to weed out every warehouse through every subsidiary and shell company that’s still housing Goblin tech. We are going to destroy every schematic, dismantle every project, and burn every piece of equipment tied to this criminal enterprise.

Panel 5: Close on Peter’s face.
PETER:
Gentlemen, we are going to kill the Green Goblin once and for all.
MORBIUS CAP:
“Do you really think this is going to work?”

PAGE 9

Panel 1: Int. Harry Osborn’s lab. Half-page. Harry is standing, with his back to us, in front of several tubes, each with a clone of Peter Parker inside. In the middle of this line of tubes is a computer panel. Harry’s hand is extended to the panel, wearing one of his Goblin King gloves. From the glove, three mechanical “fingers” are extended – small versions of Harry’s mind-control device as seen in the “Legacy of Evil” one-shot. These ‘fingers’ are plugged into the computer panel. Behind Harry stands Morbius, at an angle so he is addressing Harry but we can see his face.
MORBIUS:
Even with Parker powerless and unable to stop the clones, the public is never going to believe any of them are the real Spider-Man gone evil. It doesn’t make any sense with so many of them.

Panel 2: Closer on Harry, from the side. He is still concentrating on his work, but we can see the side of his face as he addresses Morbius.
HARRY:
Framing Peter was never the point. The public doesn’t have to think it’s him.
HARRY:
Once they’ve gotten used to the fact that they don’t know the Spider-Man descending from the sky is the real deal coming to save them, they can’t trust him anymore.

Panel 3: Harry has retracted the mechanical ‘fingers’ from the computer panel, and is turning to Morbius as they retract into his glove.
HARRY:
New York has become too comfortable with Spider-Man. From now on, Peter’s beloved public will withdraw from him when he’s trying to save them.
HARRY:
And even though he had nothing to do with it, he’ll carry the guilt for every New Yorker killed by a Spider-Man over the next few days. And thanks to you, he’s powerless to stop it.

PAGE 10

Panel 1: Int. Oscorp board room. Peter is still at the head of the table, but the meeting is over. He is putting some files in a brief case in front of him. Most of the board members have cleared out, but two of them are still standing off to Peter’s right, both watching something on an iPhone. The sound from the phone has just caught Peter’s ear.
HARRY CAP:
“He’ll just have to watch it unfold on the news like everyone else.”
PHONE:
These so-called “Spider-Man attacks” are growing in frequency at an alarming rate.

Panel 2: Peter has walked over to the two men, and is muscling his way in to see the phone.
PETER:
What the heck are they talking about?
MAN 1:
People are being attacked all over the city by men dressed as Spider-Man. They even seem to have his powers!

Panel 3: We are looking at the video on the phone now. It’s a news report. In the bottom right corner is the logo for “SHNN.” News anchor Brad Douglas is sitting at his desk speaking to the camera. The banner across the bottom of the screen reads “Siege of the Spider-Men!” In the top right corner is a small inset showing two Spider-Men attacking citizens on a sidewalk.
BRAD:
Police cannot explain how there can be so many Spider-Men in the city, all with the powers of the original, but police do not believe at this time that any of these are the real Spider-Man.
BRAD:
The attacks are brutal, and the Spider-Men are mute, lacking the trade-mark banter of our hero.

Panel 4: Same, but the inset in the top right corner has changed to show a Spider-Man shooting a web directly at the camera filming him.
BRAD:
There are many questions on New Yorkers’ minds today, but chief among them is: Where is the real Spider-Man, and can he put a stop to this siege on our city in his name?

Panel 5: Back in the board room, we see Peter storming out the door as the two board members continue to watch the video.
PHONE:
This is Brad Douglas reporting for SHNN. Stay safe out there, New York. And remember—

PAGE 11

Panel 1: Peter is in the hallway (alone) with his cell phone to his ear.
PHONE (from inside the board room door):
--if you see Spider-Man today – run the other way.
PETER:
MJ, it’s me. I need you to bring something to Oscorp for me. I’d come home and get it myself, but since my usual mode of travel is out of commission, I don’t have time to take subways and cabs and then make it back to the city.

Panel 2: Peter is walking farther down the hallway, and we see Donald Menken coming up behind him, calling to him.
PETER:
Please be safe, honey. Take a cab the whole way, and if you see Spider-Man…run.
MENKEN:
Mr. Parker!

Panel 3: Menken has caught up to Peter, who is calmly putting his phone is his pocket. Menken looks jovial, as if he’s trying to ingratiate himself.
MENKEN:
Mr. Parker, I was hoping we could go over these ‘anti-Green Goblin’ plans of yours together—

Panel 4: Peter has slammed Menken up against the wall of the hallway, with his hand around Menken’s throat. Menken, of course, looks stunned. Peter is menacing.
PETER:
Do you think I don’t know what you did? Selling me out last week?
MENKEN:
Mr. Parker, I—
PETER:
Don’t try to deny it. You may have erased the security footage from the main servers, but surely you know Norman had special servers. I saw them pay you off as they walked right by you.

Panel 5: Menken now has a slimy, evil smile on his face.
MENKEN:
And what’re you going to do about it? Mr. Osborn’s will specified that you can’t fire me. And if you take that tape to the police, well, it might lead to some uncomfortable questions about your other identity.

PAGE 12

Panel 1: Menken is pulling Peter’s hand from his throat. Peter is clearly furious, but doesn’t know what to do, so he has let the pressure off the hand, letting Menken pry it away. Menken maintains his smile.

Panel 2: Peter just stands there seething as Menken is walking back down the hall the way he came.
HARRY (op):
I think I can help you with that.

Panel 3: We’re looking at the doorway to Peter’s (formerly Norman’s) office, which is in the hall very near Peter. In the doorway stands Harry Osborn, wearing a suit, smiling.
HARRY:
Hey Pete. Good to see ya.

Panel 4: Inside Peter’s office, Peter is shoving Harry in and slamming the door behind him. Harry looks stunned, and Peter is no less furious than he just was.

Panel 5: Tight shot. Peter is right up in Harry’s face, yelling at him.
PETER:
What the hell is going on? Where did you come from?

Panel 6: Harry has recovered, his smile returned. He has his hands up in front of him as if to show he’s not a threat.
HARRY:
Relax, Pete. I know this is kinda out of the blue, and I know you have questions.
But I promise, everything’s ok.
PETER:
Start. Talking.

PAGE 13

Panel 1: Harry is turning one of the chairs in front of Peter’s desk around (since they are still in front of the desk, he’s turning it to face Peter).
HARRY:
Honestly, I don’t really know how it happened. Me coming back, that is.

Panel 2: Harry is sitting in the chair, not looking directly up at Peter but down at his hands as he tells his story. Peter is still standing, facing Harry. He’s calmed a bit, but there is still anger on his face.
HARRY:
The first thing I remember after…well, dying, is showing up at a “Welcome Home” party for myself.* And it didn’t seem wrong. I had all these memories of a life since I’d died, but no idea where they came from.
CAP:
*Writer’s Note: Amazing Spider-Man #545, the beginning of the “Brand New Day” reality.

Panel 3: Harry is looking up at Peter, and Peter is reluctantly cooling down.
HARRY:
Do you remember that party, Pete? And all the stuff that came after it? Us being friends again?
PETER:
…yes.

Panel 4: Harry is looking back down at his hands, and Peter looks mostly just interested at this point.
HARRY:
It was great. Everything I ever wanted, really.
HARRY:
Then, it all just went away. Without any warning, one day I woke up in the dark. I was in my grave, Pete.

Panel 5: Harry is leaning back in the chair, just looking in front of him, pained. Peter is turning around the chair beside him to sit.
HARRY:
It took everything I had to get out of there. But I did. And somehow I knew that all those memories I had before the party…they weren’t real. I was dead, and somehow I was brought back, and put at that party.

Panel 6: Peter is sitting, facing Harry, and Harry is looking directly at Peter now.
HARRY:
I don’t know what the hell happened to me, but in that moment I knew I had a second chance. And I wanted to do things right.

PAGE 14

Panel 1: Harry has a muted smile on his face.
HARRY:
I went to see Liz, Pete. I made a beeline to my wife and son.
HARRY:
It took a lot of time. I put myself through a battery of psychological tests from an army of psychiatrists, and they all declared me sane. But even with that, I really had to prove myself. Prove that I’d changed.

Panel 2: Harry has tears of joy streaming down his face, as he still smiles.
HARRY:
But I did it, Pete. I won my family back. Me, Liz, Normie – we’re together again. We’re a family again.

Panel 3: Harry’s smile is smaller, as he’s talking seriously to Peter. He has his hand on Peter’s shoulder. Peter is stone-faced.
HARRY:
I’m sorry it took me so long to come see you, bro. I had to put things right with my family first. But you were my very next stop, trust me.
PETER:
Let’s say I believe any of this.

Panel 4: Peter has leaned in to Harry, a look on his face that suggests he means to do some damage.
PETER:
Am I supposed to forget what you did?

Panel 5: Harry is flying backwards out of his chair, as Peter has just uppercut him in the jaw. Peter’s arm is still in the follow-through.
PETER:
My parents, Harry! You used robots to make me think my parents were alive!

Panel 6: Peter is holding Harry by the lapels of his jacket, kneeling as Harry is on the ground.
PETER:
What makes you think I would ever forgive you for that?
HARRY:
It wasn’t me, Pete! It wasn’t me! I’m sorry! I’m so, so sorry, Peter! But it wasn’t me! It was that damn Goblin formula! It twisted my mind!

PAGE 15

Panel 1: Peter has pulled Harry closer, screaming in his face. Harry is pleading.
PETER:
And what difference does that make?!
HARRY:
You know better than anybody, Peter, my mind was never clear! First it was my father, then it was drugs, then it was grief over my father’s death, and the worst was that formula!

Panel 2: Peter is letting his grip ease a bit, and Harry is still pleading.
HARRY:
But I had myself checked out over and over, Peter. I don’t know how, but the formula’s gone. It’s not in me anymore. And all those doctors declared me sane.
HARRY:
For the first time in a long time, my mind is clear. The guy that did those terrible things to you – that’s not who I am.

Panel 3: Peter has let Harry go, and has sat down on the floor, crying. Harry is sitting next to him, his hand on Peter’s shoulder.
HARRY:
There’s no way I can apologize enough for everything I did, Pete. But you have to believe me – I’m not that guy anymore. I’m your friend.
HARRY:
After winning Liz and Normie back, the most important thing in the world to me is winning back your friendship. And I will, Pete. If you give me a chance, I will.

Panel 4: Peter’s head is hanging. Not really sure what to think, but beginning to give in.
PETER:
I’ll want to talk to Liz. Confirm all this.
HARRY:
Of course.

Panel 5: Peter and Harry are getting up.
PETER:
You said you could help me with Menken?
HARRY:
I can help you with a lot of things. And I’m hoping, if I can win your trust back, you might give me Menken’s job after we get rid of him.

Panel 6: Peter is standing near the door, pulling his cell phone from his pocket. His face is blank.
PETER:
One thing at a time. Give me your number, I’ll call you tomorrow and we’ll set up a time to talk.

PAGE 16

Panel 1: Ext. Dusk. A city sidewalk. Carlie Cooper is running towards us, we can’t see from what.
PETER CAP:
“Right now I’ve gotta call a few old friends to help with a situation.”
CARLIE:
Help! Anybody that’s not Spider-Man, help!

Panel 2: Wider shot to show the sidewalk around her. We now see that there is a Spider-Man coming in behind her on a webline, and she is being stopped in her tracks by a second Spider-Man landing in front of her from the air.
CARLIE:
I don’t suppose there’s any chance you’re the real one come to save me from the imposter behind me?

Panel 3: The Spider-Man behind her grabs her arms, as the other stands there mute and menacing.
CARLIE:
Look, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean “anybody that’s not Spider-Man.” I love Spider-Man! The more the merrier!

Panel 4: The Spider-Man in front of her has his hand raised, aiming to shoot a web at her face. She has her eyes closed, tensing her face.
CARLIE:
Dear God, if you save me right now, I promise I will never steal other people’s lunches from the break room ever again.

Panel 5: Tight on the face of the Spider-Man in front of Carlie, as it’s getting kicked by a white boot with white fur on the back of it, descending from above.

Panel 6: Tight on Carlie’s face, as she’s opening one eye, the other still shut tight.
CARLIE:
That worked?

PAGE 17

Panel 1: The Spider-Man behind Carlie (who we’ll call “the first Spider-Man,” and the other “the second Spider-Man”) is tossing her aside.
CARLIE:
Hey!

Panel 2: Tight shot of the first Spider-Man being roundhouse kicked in the face by the white boot.

Panel 3: Tight shot of the second Spider-Man getting a boot to the throat.

Panel 4: Tight shot of the first Spider-Man getting a black elbow (with a white glove ending just below it) to the gut.

Panel 5: Tight shot of the second Spider-Man’s head being pushed by a white, clawed hand into the first Spider-Man’s head, hard enough to knock them both unconscious.
PHONE RING TONE (op):
Cat scratch fever! Cat scratch fever!

PAGE 18

Panel 1: Full page. The Black Cat (wearing her redesigned costume – see next issue’s cover!) is standing with her foot on the chest of one of the Spider-Men, who is lying on top of the other. She has a cell phone to her ear. Carlie Cooper peers at the defeated Spider-Men from behind Black Cat, her eyes wide. Black Cat is smiling.
BLACK CAT:
Yeah, Spider, I’ve heard about the problem. Be there in a jiff.
CARLIE (small):
Now, God, you know I can’t pay for my own lunches, right…
PETER CAP:
“Oh thank God! My prayers are answered!”

PAGE 19

Panel 1: Int. Oscorp. Peter’s office (door closed). Harry is gone, and the chairs have been put back to normal. Peter is hugging MJ, who is holding a briefcase.
PETER:
Thank God you’re safe! I was regretting asking you to go outside the whole time you were on your way. The reports are getting worse and worse.

Panel 2: Peter has the briefcase now, just beginning to open it on his desk.
MJ:
Well, I guess you’re not the only hero in the family.
PETER:
I could’ve told you that a long time ago.

Panel 3: We see only Peter’s hands, holding up the Ben Reilly Spider-Man costume as he pulls it out of the briefcase.
MJ CAP:
“But really, Peter, why do you want this costume?”

Panel 4: Peter is removing his jacket, with the costume hung over one of the chairs.
PETER:
Two reasons.
PETER:
One: I called a couple of friends to help me out there, and I need to be wearing something that they can differentiate from every other Spider-Man running around.

Panel 5: Peter, having removed his jacket and tie, is unbuttoning his shirt.
PETER:
Two: I need the Ben-style webshooters, because they’ve got impact webbing and stingers in them.

Panel 6: Fast-forwarding a bit, Peter has the costume’s pants on, and is pulling on the top.
PETER:
Without any powers, I don’t have the strength for webslinging or throwing someone around on a webline, but you don’t need any super strength to use those.
MJ:
Why didn’t you ever put stingers in your webshooters…back when you needed webshooters?

PAGE 20

Panel 1: Peter is fully in costume, just clicking the second webshooter in place.
PETER:
Honestly? They make the webshooters too bulky, and I never liked the webshooters-outside-the-costume look.
MJ:
Well. I guess I’m not the only fashionista in the family.
PETER:
Don’t get cute with me, Mrs. Parker.
MJ:
I’m already cute, Mr. Parker.

Panel 2: Peter is standing at the window, which is open, looking out it.

Panel 3: Same.
PETER:
Crap.
PETER:
How the heck am I gonna get down from here?

Panel 4: Window now closed, Peter is beginning to remove the costume, looking embarrassed.
PETER:
I’m, uh, gonna need to get to the ground floor before I put this on…

Panel 5: MJ has her hand over her mouth, laughing hysterically.
PETER (op):
When you write your “I Married a Spider-Man” tell-all, can you leave this out, please?

PAGE 21

Panel 1: Ext. Night. A city street. Spider-Man (from here on, ‘Spider-Man’ means Peter, wearing the Ben Reilly costume) is in the middle of several clones (from here on, all other Spider-Men, all wearing the classic costume, will be referred to as ‘clones’), shooting impact webbing from one hand and a stinger from the other. Multiple clones are already on the ground, webbed or stung.
MJ CAP:
“Just promise me you’ll be careful out there, ok Tiger?”
SPIDER-MAN:
What gives, guys? If you’re gonna infringe on the trademark, at least entertain me with some banter!

Panel 2: A clone is coming up behind Spider-Man as he is shooting webbing at a clone in front of him, not noticing (since he has no spider-sense).
SPIDER-MAN:
I mean, being Spider-Man isn’t just about looking awesome and scoring chicks! People expect ya to bring the funny!

Panel 3: Black Cat is in a flying punch, knocking down the clone behind Spider-Man. She has a whip in her other hand.
BLACK CAT:
I don’t know, Spider, this guy almost got the drop on you by knowing when to shut up!

Panel 4: Spider-Man and Black Cat are facing each other now. Spider-Man is shooting impact webbing over Black Cat’s shoulder at a clone behind her, and Black Cat is flinging her whip over Spider-Man’s shoulder, striking a clone behind him.
SPIDER-MAN:
Sorry, Cat. I’m a little off my game right now.

Panel 5: Spidey and Black Cat are back-to-back, in a fighting stance, clones advancing from all sides.
SPIDER-MAN:
Thanks for showing up.
BLACK CAT:
A chance to beat up on you all night long? Wouldn’t miss it.
SPIDER-MAN:
That’s why I called you, right there. Feelin’ the love.

PAGE 22

Panel 1: Ext. Night. The sidewalk where Carlie was attacked. The two clones still lay on the ground, and Carlie is crouched just behind them, looking at them.
BLACK CAT CAP:
“You think it’s really you under there?”
SPIDER-MAN CAP:
“God I hope not.”

Panel 2: Carlie is reaching out to the clone on top’s mask.
CARLIE:
Just a little peek…

Panel 3: Carlie’s hand is retracted.
CARLIE:
No, that would be all kinds of unethical.

Panel 4: Her hand is outstretched again.
CARLIE:
But it’s not the real Spider-Man. I’m an investigator; I need to know these things.

Panel 5: Carlie’s hand is on the mask, pulling it back. Just the chin is exposed so far.
CARLIE:
Just a little peek…

IN TWO WEEKS: The Siege of the Spider-Men continues! Will Carlie find out Peter’s secret? What is Harry really up to? And as Spidey and Black Cat fight back the army of clones ripping the city apart, one more hero is coming to help. For the first time ever in a Spider-Man book – enter: Toxin! Be here for all this and more in just 14 short days for “One in a Million Part 2!”

Now, please head over to Spideydude.com to check out an EXCLUSIVE preview of David “Hambone” Crim’s inks for next issue’s cover, featuring Black Cat and Toxin! And while you’re there and already in a Spider-Clone mood, take a look around at the best Spider-Clone site on the net! If you’re even slightly interested in the Clone Saga, you couldn’t do better than to check out their podcast, the Clone Saga Chronicles!

Then make sure to head back here to this issue’s discussion thread to let me know what you thought of Crawl Space #9!

And check right below this post for some exclusive bonus content!

Continue to: Spider-Man: Crawl Space #10 - One in a Million Part 2
Join my page on Facebook to keep up to date with all writing projects, podcasts, and everything else I'm involved in!

"The ground quakes and the heavens cry tears of blood when Kevin gives out his brand of Crawlspace justice. Babies cry, grown men avert their eyes, women pass out and even the wind gives pause. Kevin’s eyes glow and lightning crackles around them. It’s pretty epic and definitely not for the timid." - Michael Bailey

Kevin Cushing
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Re: Spider-Man: Crawl Space #9 *Current Issue*

Post by Kevin Cushing » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:17 am

And because I love you all so much, here's a little back-up material for you. This is the original sketch David "Hambone" Crim sent me of concepts for the Crawl Space #9 cover:

Join my page on Facebook to keep up to date with all writing projects, podcasts, and everything else I'm involved in!

"The ground quakes and the heavens cry tears of blood when Kevin gives out his brand of Crawlspace justice. Babies cry, grown men avert their eyes, women pass out and even the wind gives pause. Kevin’s eyes glow and lightning crackles around them. It’s pretty epic and definitely not for the timid." - Michael Bailey