Crawl Space #8 Discussion Thread

The official home of the unauthorized, original continuity Spider-Man web series by Kevin Cushing.
Kevin Cushing
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Crawl Space #8 Discussion Thread

Post by Kevin Cushing » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:55 pm

Finally, at long last, after an embarrassingly long time - Spider-Man Black is over! Do I have any readers left? :?

What did you guys think?

If you haven't read the issue yet, go read it now lest you be spoiled!
Join my page on Facebook to keep up to date with all writing projects, podcasts, and everything else I'm involved in!

"The ground quakes and the heavens cry tears of blood when Kevin gives out his brand of Crawlspace justice. Babies cry, grown men avert their eyes, women pass out and even the wind gives pause. Kevin’s eyes glow and lightning crackles around them. It’s pretty epic and definitely not for the timid." - Michael Bailey

Hollister4Mayor
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey

Re: Crawl Space #8 Discussion Thread

Post by Hollister4Mayor » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:57 pm

I'm still here!!! I can't wait to read it, in like two minutes! And those covers are BEAUT-I-FUL!!

Shadow116
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey

Post by Shadow116 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:37 pm

Surprised you got this issue out tonight Kev, but it was one hell of a ride!

I really have nothing negative on this one at all. The action scenes were great, especially the Cap and Red Skull related one liners. The core of this issue however is your ability to really let each character's particular personality and voice shine through. Peter as determined as ever even with no powers, Simon so full or rage, Harry as crazy as ever yet I liked that he's also still that ravaged character I love so much, especially when he speaks of Sarah...Gwen. Not to mention the Peter/MJ at the end, as well as the subtle and realistic way you've put Flash and Carlie together. I have to admit I'm really liking those two together. I can't say much more on character because I just loved every bit so much, even Punisher, you made me like Frank Castle that's an accomplishment in itself!

In terms of story it's the grand finale to an arc full of mystery, suspense, and some major status quo shake-ups, and you had me loving each and every moment as this issue came to an end.

Yes, I'll miss 'ole Stormin Norman, but Harry is here, Black Spider has got to be my personal favorite villain from Crawl Space, not to mention Gabe's added character, and just the pure excitement of things to come.

You've earned 5 vials of Goblin serum out of 5 Mr. Cushing, a job well done, same goes for all these AMAZING artists you've found [smilie=spidey_clap.gif] [smilie=greengoblin.gif]
Last edited by Shadow116 on Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
With great power there must also come great responsibility.

The Friendly Neighborhood Writer

Delta House Member: BLUES

Guyman442
Webslinger
Webslinger

Post by Guyman442 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:40 pm

Oh. My. God. This is the first Spider-Man I have read in months and it was worth the wait. That was the most incredible ending to a most incredible story arc. I hope you're proud of yourself, I can't think of anyone who wouldn't be proud after such an incredible story. Keep up the good work.
You can just call me Mr. Man

Check out my YouTube Channel here: http://www.youtube.com/user/TheatreintheSquare

"My dear friend. Don't ever stop asking questions." -Dog Sees God

Delta House Member: Wraith

Spideydude
Administrator
Administrator
Location: Texas Panhandle Chapter of the Crawl Space Command Center

Post by Spideydude » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:54 pm

Kevin Cushing wrote:Finally, at long last, after an embarrassingly long time - Spider-Man Black is over! Do I have any readers left? :?

What did you guys think?

If you haven't read the issue yet, go read it now lest you be spoiled!
Two words: Fuck. Yeah.

Spoilers!
The ending was intense. Morbius' appearance was a complete surprise, as was Frank Castle's. My big question was when did Frank find out? What makes this series so special is that there is forward movement and directions that the characters NEED to go down. Nothing in this issue felt forced. At all. Which is good. My other big thing is the ENDING. Now we know why Kaine will show up in issue 12. You Better Believe that Clone Saga Chronicles will discuss this development of the Crawl Space's CLONE SAGA!
This Post was Brought to you by... Spideydude! Your Friendly Neighborhood Administrator!
Check out My Exclusive Online SeriesCrawl Space Avengers!
CSA Member Since 2003 Delta House Member: Cyclone

JR Fettingers Marvel:I'd hire Spideydude to be me at conventions, with his cowboy hat, a cigar sticking out of his mouth, and a beer in his hand because he would certainly look a lot "cooler" and "more relatable" to the fanbase that a short, gray haired middle aged man.

cpahl2000
Avenger
Avenger

Post by cpahl2000 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:57 pm

Thanks Kevin fo another fantastic issue! I´m a fan since day one or # 1 and everytime a new chapter is released, I really run to read it and it´s my fix of the real Spider-Man.

The Punisher´s role was fantastic, the real Punisher not the Frankstein crappy or any of those horrible things Marvel is used to do with the Character and I just love it. Peter and Simon´ s face off, showing Peter´s dark side, reminded me of Clone saga, which next issue will be full of clons. :) I also enjoy in fact I loved Carlie and Flash´s romance, it´s great that Flash, is well used, after years of stupid plots, not to mention the recent BND thing again, congrats for being bold and intelligent Kevin.

Harry´s part is fantastic, not that loser, his father´s heir, the King Globin, with Morbius´s return, just you Kevin, just you.

I can´t wait for next issue and once again, thanks Kevin, for bringing back the real Spider-Man and for giving us some intelligent and cutting-edge stories, your are the real Spider-writer.
Delta Tau Chi Brother Name- Manta

Donomark
Avenger
Avenger

Post by Donomark » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:02 pm

Awesome man. Great fights, great Carlie/Flash scene, great shock with Morbius at the end.

I'm with Zack though on one thing. When did Frank and Morb find out?

Berserkfury819
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Post by Berserkfury819 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:02 pm

Take notes Slott. This is how you write a Spider-Man comic, and this is how you do it well. Great job Kevin. And if it makes you feel any better, you're still faster than Mark Millar.
Spider-Man RIP. 1962-2007

You've pissed off my piss button- Matisleonhart

Send somebody back in time to shoot the pigeon- Kevin Cushing.

With blood and rage of crimson red
Ripped from a corpse so freshly dead
Together with our Hellish hate
We'll burn you all. That is your fate

tschamp

Post by tschamp » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:18 pm

HEEELLLLL YEAH! My Spider-man fix has finally happened. I love it Kevin. It was awesome. Solid A+

coolmvm
Webslinger
Webslinger

Post by coolmvm » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:24 pm

First off man, I almost forgot about this series until you reminded me. Thank goodness for front page news.

Now on the the story itself....

Nice idea using the old Captain America vs Red Skull vibe between the fights of the Parker brothers, as this was a true tribute of Peter to honor Cap this way. :D

Also I was surprised that you used the Punisher within this storyline, as it's sort of two that Peter owes Frank, since he did save his life when he switch sides during Civil War.

I also never thought I see the day when Frank Castle plays the voice of reason. :shock:

Still it was a great guest star appearance.

Plus Harry meeting Sarah and his plans for Peter is just plan mad, as it seems that having Morbius involved was also a crazy twist as how in the world did Harry Osborn find the Living Vampire ?

Oh and before I forget that since Carlie and Flash are a couple now...is there any chance of you bringing back her father, like Dan Slott did in the comics within the Mysterio arc, in a future issue ?

Well now that the next storyline is revealed to have a bit of a Clone Saga come-back, I just got to ask the following questions...

1. Will the X-men play a small role since it's based upon gentics ?

2. Will the Fantastic Four play a role in the storyline due to Peter's relationship with the family ?

3. Will Wolverine make an appearance in the storyline, since it deals with Clones and he has his own clone in X-23 ?

Besides I've always thought that ever since she was created there has never been a conversation between Wolverine and Spider-man over their histories on the subject of clones. :lol:

Please I truly do wish to encrouage you upon keeping up the great work on such an even greater series. :wink:
Spider-girl forever!!

Hambone
Artist
Artist

Post by Hambone » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:27 pm

It was excellent Kevin, I particularly liked that unlike other stories where Spidey loses his powers, this time Peter doesn't revert back into an inept wimp. [smilie=spidey_clap.gif] It's cool that you referenced the fact that he's Avengers trained, and should be able to hold his own ala other non-powered heroes such as Hawkeye and the Black Widow. I also forgot that there was another costume and goblin serum left for Sarah, so that was a cool surprise that you utilized a forgotten element such as that.

The covers look great btw, kudos to Bat, Daniel and Brandon for some very talented work! [smilie=spidey_cheers.gif]
"You want to be a genius? It's easy, just say everything stinks, then you're never wrong. That's how much of a genius I am!"

-Wilbur Cobb The Ren and Stimpy Show.

My Deviant Art Page!

Kevin Cushing
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Post by Kevin Cushing » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:41 pm

Shadow116 wrote:You've earned 5 vials of Goblin serum out of 5 Mr. Cushing, a job well done, same goes for all these AMAZING artists you've found [smilie=spidey_clap.gif] [smilie=greengoblin.gif]
Dude, thank you so much for all the wonderful compliments! What a great first review to read!

And these are some awesome artists aren't they? The first is from Bat Hilliard, a friend of bdog from deviantart who just killed that Spider-Man vs. Black Spider image. The second is by our own HPT_Bandit. You may have seen the image before, but never with bdog's beautiful colors! Both of these were sent to me as gifts back when I announced that #8 would be the final issue of Crawl Space (no longer the case!), so I was just very fortunate!
Guyman442 wrote:Oh. My. God. This is the first Spider-Man I have read in months and it was worth the wait. That was the most incredible ending to a most incredible story arc. I hope you're proud of yourself, I can't think of anyone who wouldn't be proud after such an incredible story. Keep up the good work.
Thank you so much! I'm really happy to be able to provide you with a Spidey fix!
Spideydude wrote:Two words: Fuck. Yeah.
Two more words: Thank. You!
Spoilers!
The ending was intense. Morbius' appearance was a complete surprise, as was Frank Castle's.
I have to admit, I was pleasantly surprised that nobody ever guessed either of these guys! Since it's me, I thought Morbius would be peoples' first guess :wink: I much prefer to deliver a good surprise, though, so I'm very glad of it!
My big question was when did Frank find out?
This is where new-continuity gets a bit muddy. The public unmasking was removed, but everything else still happened, so, to my mind
Frank would have found out when they fought together in Civil War.

But, if it makes more sense for ya, we can just say Peter told him when he went to him for help finding Aunt May's killer.
Now we know why Kaine will show up in issue 12.
A) Kaine shows up in issue 13, actually. Don't worry, you'll have plenty to hold you over!

B) "One in a Million" does, in a way, directly lead to Kaine's appearance. But there are more wrinkles before we get there :wink:
You Better Believe that Clone Saga Chronicles will discuss this development of the Crawl Space's CLONE SAGA!
Dude, hell yeah! Thank you! And you better believe, there'll be plenty to keep you guys talking in the coming months [smilie=spidey_not_kidding.gif]
cpahl2000 wrote:I can´t wait for next issue and once again, thanks Kevin, for bringing back the real Spider-Man and for giving us some intelligent and cutting-edge stories, your are the real Spider-writer.
Thank you so much for all those kind words, cpahl! You have definitely been one of my biggest supporters since day 1, and it always puts a smile on my face to be keeping you happy!
Donomark wrote:Awesome man. Great fights, great Carlie/Flash scene, great shock with Morbius at the end.
Thanks, man! It really was you that gave me the inspiration to just sit down and finish this tonight. Your words hit home. Thanks for kicking me in the butt (even if you didn't know you were doing it)!
I'm with Zack though on one thing. When did Frank and Morb find out?
I explained (kind of) Frank above. Morbius, well, there's a lot to tell about how he came to where he is in partnership with Harry Osborn. Look for answers in Spider-Man: Crawl Space Annual #1 - "Birth of the Goblin King," which I'm planning to fall between issues 12 and 13!
Berserkfury819 wrote:Great job Kevin.
Thanks, Berkerk!
And if it makes you feel any better, you're still faster than Mark Millar.
Ha, I'll take whatever I can get at this point! [smilie=spidey_cheers.gif]
tschamp wrote:HEEELLLLL YEAH! My Spider-man fix has finally happened. I love it Kevin. It was awesome. Solid A+
Thanks man! Really glad you enjoyed it!
coolmvm wrote:First off man, I almost forgot about this series until you reminded me. Thank goodness for front page news.
Hey, no worries man. So did I :shock:
Plus Harry meeting Sarah and his plans for Peter is just plan mad, as it seems that having Morbius involved was also a crazy twist as how in the world did Harry Osborn find the Living Vampire ?
Yes, another opportunity to plug Spider-Man: Crawl Space Annual #1! :mrgreen:
Oh and before I forget that since Carlie and Flash are a couple now...is there any chance of you bringing back her father, like Dan Slott did in the comics within the Mysterio arc, in a future issue ?
Oh hell no.
1. Will the X-men play a small role since it's based upon gentics ?
Nope, this is a 3 part story so I need to keep it pretty tight.
2. Will the Fantastic Four play a role in the storyline due to Peter's relationship with the family ?
Part 1, Page 1 :mrgreen:
3. Will Wolverine make an appearance in the storyline, since it deals with Clones and he has his own clone in X-23 ?
Nah, I think his phone call with MJ last issue is enough Wolvie for now :wink:
Besides I've always thought that ever since she was created there has never been a conversation between Wolverine and Spider-man over their histories on the subject of clones. :lol:
Dude, now that you mention it that sounds freakin' hysterical. *jots down note*
Please I truly do wish to encrouage you upon keeping up the great work on such an even greater series. :wink:
Thanks, I'll try to get the next one out before you forget again! :lol:
Hambone wrote:It was excellent Kevin, I particularly liked that unlike other stories where Spidey loses his powers, this time Peter doesn't revert back into an inept wimp. [smilie=spidey_clap.gif] It's cool that you referenced the fact that he's Avengers trained, and should be able to hold his own ala other non-powered heroes such as Hawkeye and the Black Widow.
Hey look everybody, it's the new regular Crawl Space cover artist! [smilie=spidey_clap.gif]

Ha, thanks man. I really wanted to see Peter Parker be a badass, because he really can be. Course that's not the only reason to take his powers away...now he's screwed :twisted:
I also forgot that there was another costume and goblin serum left for Sarah, so that was a cool surprise that you utilized a forgotten element such as that.
I'm of the opinion you can't just leave a syringe full of Goblin formula laying around out there! :lol:
The covers look great btw, kudos to Bat, Daniel and Brandon for some very talented work! [smilie=spidey_cheers.gif]
Agreed! [smilie=spidey_clap.gif]
Join my page on Facebook to keep up to date with all writing projects, podcasts, and everything else I'm involved in!

"The ground quakes and the heavens cry tears of blood when Kevin gives out his brand of Crawlspace justice. Babies cry, grown men avert their eyes, women pass out and even the wind gives pause. Kevin’s eyes glow and lightning crackles around them. It’s pretty epic and definitely not for the timid." - Michael Bailey

Hollister4Mayor
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey

Post by Hollister4Mayor » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:29 am

That was really great! That had to be the strongest issue so far, #2 coming in at a close second, and those covers real nice! I am eagerly awaiting One in a Million, and the upcoming arc "One More Randy" where you retcon Punisher's involvement and make it Randy... right?
Morbius was great and like you said Harry was "wholesome" this issue! It's a shame scooter has to go but Hambone and Bdog are the guys so that is awesome. I didn't expect Harry to pull the clone card, but I love it.

coolmvm
Webslinger
Webslinger

Post by coolmvm » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:39 am

Okay even though you did say no to a reappearance of Carlie's father's under Mysterio's powers, My I remind you that Mysterio does have a bit of a relationship with Flash in the past as he was used as a pawn in his fights with Spidey.

And if you were to bring back Carlie's father under Mysterio's power, it would be interesting to see just how Carlie would deal with it and if Flash was with her in her time of need.

Also another interesting idea is this: Black Cat vs Carlie Cooper, as Felicia looks on to Flash for comfort, but sees him with Carlie, it's just deja vu all over again. :lol:

Also consider this for a future Fight: Kaine vs X-23 ? [smilie=spidey_not_kidding.gif]

While it is a rare thing to see Peter powerless, I have to say I cold be quite curious as of how you have this planned out.

Also while we're on the subject of the remarried Parkers any chance of you having your own version of fighting between Spidey vs. Kraven's family ?

I ask this due to the whole family concept of the idea and the fact that it would be fun to see little Kraven after so many other allies of Spider-man both human and Spider-like, who would try to help him. Including a lil' Kraven vs Wolverine, animal vs Prey, fight or a lil' Kraven vs Human torch, since Johnny did defeated the original Kraven only once, fight or even a fight between lil' Kraven and the Thing, for fun, or a fight between lil' Kraven and Tigra, since Tigra did get used by the original Kraven in the past ?

All to lose Spidey of his allies, both Spider-like, and animal like, in order to take him out all alone. :twisted:

Also is there any chance of you doing an alternative version of Secret Invasion, now that Peter and MJ are married once more ?

Because I had this weird idea of having MJ trapped within the Baxter building during the event, while Peter's away with the Avengers, and standing in the middle between Johnny Storm and his ex-alien girlfriend Lyja.

Also I wonder een though Peter is now re-resigtered within the SHRA, one question still bugs me about his status on the New Avengers, since he did bow down to Stark's plea ?

Please do keep up the good work upon such a great series. :wink:
Spider-girl forever!!

Kevin Cushing
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Post by Kevin Cushing » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:00 am

Hollister4Mayor wrote:That was really great! That had to be the strongest issue so far, #2 coming in at a close second, and those covers real nice!
Awesome, thanks! Glad you liked it!
I am eagerly awaiting One in a Million, and the upcoming arc "One More Randy" where you retcon Punisher's involvement and make it Randy... right?
Haha, man you put a lot more creativity into your guesses on that than I expected!
coolmvm wrote:Okay even though you did say no to a reappearance of Carlie's father's under Mysterio's powers, My I remind you that Mysterio does have a bit of a relationship with Flash in the past as he was used as a pawn in his fights with Spidey.

And if you were to bring back Carlie's father under Mysterio's power, it would be interesting to see just how Carlie would deal with it and if Flash was with her in her time of need.

Also another interesting idea is this: Black Cat vs Carlie Cooper, as Felicia looks on to Flash for comfort, but sees him with Carlie, it's just deja vu all over again. :lol:

Also consider this for a future Fight: Kaine vs X-23 ? [smilie=spidey_not_kidding.gif]

While it is a rare thing to see Peter powerless, I have to say I cold be quite curious as of how you have this planned out.

Also while we're on the subject of the remarried Parkers any chance of you having your own version of fighting between Spidey vs. Kraven's family ?

I ask this due to the whole family concept of the idea and the fact that it would be fun to see little Kraven after so many other allies of Spider-man both human and Spider-like, who would try to help him. Including a lil' Kraven vs Wolverine, animal vs Prey, fight or a lil' Kraven vs Human torch, since Johnny did defeated the original Kraven only once, fight or even a fight between lil' Kraven and the Thing, for fun, or a fight between lil' Kraven and Tigra, since Tigra did get used by the original Kraven in the past ?

All to lose Spidey of his allies, both Spider-like, and animal like, in order to take him out all alone. :twisted:

Also is there any chance of you doing an alternative version of Secret Invasion, now that Peter and MJ are married once more ?

Because I had this weird idea of having MJ trapped within the Baxter building during the event, while Peter's away with the Avengers, and standing in the middle between Johnny Storm and his ex-alien girlfriend Lyja.
I've gotta give a blanket "no" to all this stuff. It sounds like you're looking for a lot of repeats of things that have been done already in MU Spidey and beyond, and I just don't have any desire to repeat their ideas. I've actually scrapped at least two stories already because I've seen something similar pop up in the Marvel Universe. No hard feelings, they got there first. I just don't want to retread ground they've already covered. Crawl Space doesn't really have a point unless it's fresh.
Also I wonder een though Peter is now re-resigtered within the SHRA, one question still bugs me about his status on the New Avengers, since he did bow down to Stark's plea ?
Admittedly his status with the rest of the MU is more than a bit muddy. I just can't keep things in line with the Marvel Universe at large, they move too fast for me. If I really wanted to give him a clear cut role in the rest of the MU, I'd have to devote considerable time to building a "Crawl Space" version of the MU, and that's just time taken away from this being an actual Spidey comic. So yeah, that's one of the things you just kind of have to accept to enjoy this comic. Had I known that the Stark Initiative stuff was going to come crashing down so quickly, I never would have done that at the beginning of #2, and that's taught me a valuable lesson for the future. I'm not really dealing with his status in the rest of the world. I'll reference things once in awhile like his membership in the Avengers, but there's the conceit that, yeah, things can't have happened the same way, you just have to accept that his role in the larger universe will remain similar even if it didn't happen the same way.
Please do keep up the good work upon such a great series. :wink:
Thanks!