Crawl Space #6 Discussion Thread

The official home of the unauthorized, original continuity Spider-Man web series by Kevin Cushing.
Kevin Cushing
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Re: Crawl Space #6 Discussion Thread

Post by Kevin Cushing » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:25 pm

Mister Mets wrote:I'm rereading all of Spider-Man Black before I get to the new issue, and one line struck me. Have Richard and Mary Parker ever literally been established as "charter members" of SHIELD? I have an interest in SHIELD's backstory, and I just think that's a kickass idea.
They've never been referred to quite that way in the comics, but I remember them saying that Nick Fury came to them when SHIELD was first forming, so it seemed like a plausible idea to me. I'll try to dig out the issue when I get home and get you the direct quote I'm talking about.
Join my page on Facebook to keep up to date with all writing projects, podcasts, and everything else I'm involved in!

"The ground quakes and the heavens cry tears of blood when Kevin gives out his brand of Crawlspace justice. Babies cry, grown men avert their eyes, women pass out and even the wind gives pause. Kevin’s eyes glow and lightning crackles around them. It’s pretty epic and definitely not for the timid." - Michael Bailey

Hollister4Mayor
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey

Post by Hollister4Mayor » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:48 pm

I've gotten half way through this issue (and have read every other ish except for #7) and I half to say the story reminds me of Adam-Troy Castro's Sinister Six Trilogy (novels) in which Peter thinks he has a sister.

Anyway I have to say how difficult it is to tell a story in a comic book like a novel, and yet you've taken that one step further with just the script.

Also if you ever want to check out my site I'll also be posting a BND alternative similar to yours except it is more of a What if, that asks the question, What if OMD had never happened but all the villains of BND still appeared? I'm currently working on arc 1 "Menacingly Negative."

Kevin Cushing
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Post by Kevin Cushing » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:14 am

Hollister4Mayor wrote:I've gotten half way through this issue (and have read every other ish except for #7)
Wow, you're fast! I'd love to hear your thoughts on the other issues.
and I half to say the story reminds me of Adam-Troy Castro's Sinister Six Trilogy (novels) in which Peter thinks he has a sister.
Never read any of it, but others have brought that up since the introduction of Simon. One thing I'll say, without having read the books, is that in those, he only thinks he has a sibling. Not the case here.
Also if you ever want to check out my site I'll also be posting a BND alternative similar to yours except it is more of a What if, that asks the question, What if OMD had never happened but all the villains of BND still appeared? I'm currently working on arc 1 "Menacingly Negative."
Good luck! And most importantly - have fun!
Join my page on Facebook to keep up to date with all writing projects, podcasts, and everything else I'm involved in!

"The ground quakes and the heavens cry tears of blood when Kevin gives out his brand of Crawlspace justice. Babies cry, grown men avert their eyes, women pass out and even the wind gives pause. Kevin’s eyes glow and lightning crackles around them. It’s pretty epic and definitely not for the timid." - Michael Bailey

Venomaniac
Avenger
Avenger

Post by Venomaniac » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:12 pm

I thought it was GREAT

I loved the idea of someone going crazy from not knowing pete's identity as Spidey who previously knew (I tohugh it would happen to Black Cat for some reason)

A few minor quibbles though:
1. I normally have minor dialogue issues (ik, it's becoming my schtick now) and this line didn't seem right to me
PETER CAP:
He’s one of the two Loki warned me about.* But I still don’t feel any intentions of harm from him. I guess Loki never specifically said the two that remembered everything would be a threat to me, did he?

2, Also, I'm a bit confused why Gabriel was looking at pictures of Peter. How did the Skull find out Simon's parentage? I find it a bit off that Simon was looking at pictures of Peter for decades in order to integrate into American society. You would think the Skull would have told him that. if that's the reason, it probably should have been a bit more clearer

3. Why did SImon say he didn't kill May and then tell the truth only a few minutes later?

LOVE the scene with MJ by the way. You're one of the few people who truly understands how to write her. Everyone says she's been handled poorly character-wise post-marriage, but you're able to find the perfect balance between pre and post marriage MJ characterization

If you liked Lost... you will love Fringe
If you liked the X-Files... you will love Fringe

http://www.fringetelevision.com/2009/11 ... ringe.html
http://www.fringebloggers.com/fringe-se ... more-20649
http://www.fringebloggers.com/just-the- ... more-21165
http://www.fringebloggers.com/fringe-se ... more-20971
If there is any sports team that Spider-Man embodies...it is the New York Islanders
The Wave Beam: shoots electric Kitty Prydes at people at the speed of light. -CrazyChris

Kevin Cushing
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Post by Kevin Cushing » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:39 pm

Venomaniac wrote:I thought it was GREAT
Thanks!
I loved the idea of someone going crazy from not knowing pete's identity as Spidey who previously knew (I tohugh it would happen to Black Cat for some reason)
Honestly there are several people I could see that happening to (though half of them are already pretty nuts to begin with...). Glad you dug it!
1. I normally have minor dialogue issues (ik, it's becoming my schtick now) and this line didn't seem right to me
PETER CAP:
He’s one of the two Loki warned me about.* But I still don’t feel any intentions of harm from him. I guess Loki never specifically said the two that remembered everything would be a threat to me, did he?
Can't really address this one, because I'm not sure what you're specific problem is. Obviously it feels ok to me since I wrote it.
2, Also, I'm a bit confused why Gabriel was looking at pictures of Peter.
I'll assume you meant to say 'Simon' here, right?
How did the Skull find out Simon's parentage?
He took over the entire compound of the impostor, so he would have had all his files, plus he surely would have kept some henchmen alive long enough to get all the information out of them that he could.
I find it a bit off that Simon was looking at pictures of Peter for decades in order to integrate into American society. You would think the Skull would have told him that. if that's the reason, it probably should have been a bit more clearer
The Red Skull doesn't seem to me like the kind of guy that gives his operatives information before they need it. Particularly with a child he can train effectively while keeping him in the dark about the goal, he would see no reason to tell Simon the endgame. The more information anyone has about your plans, the more they have to use against you if they choose. So information is guarded closely until it's need-to-know. Even if the information wouldn't be that dangerous, secrecy is a matter of course for him by this point.
3. Why did SImon say he didn't kill May and then tell the truth only a few minutes later?
You'll see more in issue 7 of why Simon really does want to tell his whole story to Peter. He wanted to get the whole thing out before Peter attacked him, and if he had admitted to killing Aunt May, Peter would have attacked immediately.
LOVE the scene with MJ by the way. You're one of the few people who truly understands how to write her. Everyone says she's been handled poorly character-wise post-marriage, but you're able to find the perfect balance between pre and post marriage MJ characterization
Thanks very much! Since I'm writing this particular series, I probably don't have to tell you I'm a big MJ fan :mrgreen:

Venomaniac
Avenger
Avenger

Post by Venomaniac » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:52 pm

Kevin Cushing wrote:
Venomaniac wrote:I thought it was GREAT
Thanks!
Honestly there are several people I could see that happening to (though half of them are already pretty nuts to begin with...). Glad you dug it!
PETER CAP:
Can't really address this one, because I'm not sure what you're specific problem is. Obviously it feels ok to me since I wrote it.
2, Also, I'm a bit confused why Gabriel was looking at pictures of Peter.
I'll assume you meant to say 'Simon' here, right?
Yeah I did. Whoops!

My issue with the dialogue was mainly that the wording doesnt seem like something Peter would say. It's a minor nitpick. Take no notice of it

If you liked Lost... you will love Fringe
If you liked the X-Files... you will love Fringe

http://www.fringetelevision.com/2009/11 ... ringe.html
http://www.fringebloggers.com/fringe-se ... more-20649
http://www.fringebloggers.com/just-the- ... more-21165
http://www.fringebloggers.com/fringe-se ... more-20971
If there is any sports team that Spider-Man embodies...it is the New York Islanders
The Wave Beam: shoots electric Kitty Prydes at people at the speed of light. -CrazyChris

Spider-Girl
Avenger
Avenger

Post by Spider-Girl » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:46 pm

Here's my question:

While Simon was "studying" (read, being a creeper) Peter, was he looking at pictures around the same time that the actions happened? Or, were the pictures taken several years before and it was more like he was reliving the events?

This issue definitely had a different feel to it, darker. Great job!
'Could I please have a bathroom token?' -- Bertone

Please sign my petition to get Batgirl: Year One back into production! http://www.gopetition.com/online/36228.html

Kevin Cushing
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Post by Kevin Cushing » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:16 pm

Spider-Girl wrote:While Simon was "studying" (read, being a creeper) Peter, was he looking at pictures around the same time that the actions happened? Or, were the pictures taken several years before and it was more like he was reliving the events?
It could conceivably be a combination of both, but for the most part he was keeping up with events as they happened.
This issue definitely had a different feel to it, darker. Great job!
Thanks!

BD
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by BD » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:14 am

You're on a roll now bro and going strong.

I liked this issue, the best part being the reveal of why he had Aunt May killed. I was guessing the whole time and it made sense in the end. Good job tying all the loose parts together.

Pros: Your Simon voice. You have a nack for making each person have a unique voice and I so dig that.

I also liked the MJ bit at the beginning. The best line for me was " He’s probably just webbing up the Hypno Hustler for crashing senior singles night at the disco bar…"
Again I laughed out loud.

Cons: I want more Spidey. I've kinda always had a problem with Peter's being spys, but hey you can't like every bit of your favorite characters history. I kinda got lost with all the flashbacks and the multiple Red Skulls. Granted that's not your fault that he has such a convoluted history. Again, I think it would be easier with pictures to go with your text.
I did dig the creepy line cut it out of her. I was like, oh man that's sooo cruel. As Stella said earlier, this was damn dark but still enjoyable.

Off to issue # 7.
BD
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Spider-Man Crawl Space Webmaster
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nova#1
Webslinger
Webslinger

Post by Nova#1 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:32 am

This has to be my favourite issue so far. Awesome stuff, got some Nick Fury in there too! I'd like to see the Black Spider try and get Venom. Can't believe that I'm almost caught up on everything. Still got two issues to go!
Click to see what Ben Reilly thinks of OMD