Crawl Space #5 Discussion Thread

The official home of the unauthorized, original continuity Spider-Man web series by Kevin Cushing.
BtmxComedy
Avenger
Avenger

Post by BtmxComedy » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:23 pm

Question to Kevin.

Do you remember that short teen drama comic series that went somewhere between 2003 or 2004 that detailed the teen years of May, Ben, and Peter's parents? Is that cannon?

EDIT: The story was called Trouble, I heard it wasn't well recieved, I didn't buy it and I just found out Quesada said it wasn't cannon...but Quesada said a lot of things.

Does your origin fit in with Trouble in any way?

Kevin Cushing
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Post by Kevin Cushing » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:37 pm

coolmvm wrote:Plus, nice mentionings to Dexter Bennet and the attack on the Bugle from last issue, but does that mean that Bennet owns part of the company now ?

No, JJJ bought out Bennet completely. I have no love for the character and am perfectly happy to leave him out of Crawl Space entirely.
Still, I was shock about the ending of this issue as it was a shocker, no pun intented. However, Peter could talk this over with Reed Richards to get his advice since it may be a trick by Osborn, Another clone or a Skrull, since I don't know if the events of Secret Invasion already passed in your series ?

As far as I'm concerned, Secret Invasion is somewhere behind us. I was going to keep this series as close to larger Marvel continuity as possible, but that went out the window when they put Norman Osborn in charge of the world after I'd already killed him. So I'm pretty much operating in my own bubble now, though I had never planned to tie this too far into other Marvel happenings to begin with. A lot of the best single character books are done mostly within their own world, and Spidey has such a rich and expansive world I won't be lacking.
Plus if next issue centers around Peter's Parents past as Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D, does that mean a Nick Fury appearance is in order ?
Not really, most of the Richard and Mary material takes place after they've already gone undercover.
And if so, could there be a Crawlspace tie-in to Secret Invasion in the future ?
I really wasn't enamored with Secret Invasion, and I think we're all pretty sick of Skrulls by now. Please accept my official stamp that Spider-Man: Crawl Space is and will remain Skrull-free!
BtmxComedy wrote:Does your origin fit in with Trouble in any way?
Aw hell no, you did not just bring up that piece of $&%^!!! Seriously, though, Joe has declared that flaming cowpie out of continuity for Marvel, and the same is true for Crawl Space. Let me state for the record that Aunt May and Richard Parker have never even seen each other's uglies, let alone bumped them.
Join my page on Facebook to keep up to date with all writing projects, podcasts, and everything else I'm involved in!

"The ground quakes and the heavens cry tears of blood when Kevin gives out his brand of Crawlspace justice. Babies cry, grown men avert their eyes, women pass out and even the wind gives pause. Kevin’s eyes glow and lightning crackles around them. It’s pretty epic and definitely not for the timid." - Michael Bailey

BtmxComedy
Avenger
Avenger

Post by BtmxComedy » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:10 pm

Kevin Cushing wrote:Aw hell no, you did not just bring up that piece of $&%^!!! Seriously, though, Joe has declared that flaming cowpie out of continuity for Marvel, and the same is true for Crawl Space. Let me state for the record that Aunt May and Richard Parker have never even seen each other's uglies, let alone bumped them.

Like I said I've never read it...but now that it generated this most amazing response I am intrigued. I will not rest until I've collected every single issue of this series.

I will then petition Marvel to bring it back.

Kevin Cushing
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Post by Kevin Cushing » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:19 pm

Ya know what's really funny? I just realized that, while having this exchange here, I just talked about how great the Millar run on Marvel Knights Spider-Man was over in the #2.5 thread. Inexplicably, Trouble and MKSM were done by the exact same creative team, Mark Millar and Terry Dodson. This proves that every great team has at least one complete turd in them.
Join my page on Facebook to keep up to date with all writing projects, podcasts, and everything else I'm involved in!

"The ground quakes and the heavens cry tears of blood when Kevin gives out his brand of Crawlspace justice. Babies cry, grown men avert their eyes, women pass out and even the wind gives pause. Kevin’s eyes glow and lightning crackles around them. It’s pretty epic and definitely not for the timid." - Michael Bailey

Shadow116
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey

Post by Shadow116 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:31 pm

You know Kev, I see Black Spider, at least now almost filling the Norman Osborn role, sort of. I know Harry is now King of Goblins but still....

The guy's like five steps ahead, and is taking away everything Pete holds dear....and I'm still curious where this is all leading.

Kevin, I just compared your own creation to my favorite villain of all time, I'm shocked. [smilie=spidey_thumbs.gif] [smilie=venom.gif]
With great power there must also come great responsibility.

The Friendly Neighborhood Writer

Delta House Member: BLUES

BtmxComedy
Avenger
Avenger

Post by BtmxComedy » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:52 pm

Kevin Cushing wrote:Ya know what's really funny? I just realized that, while having this exchange here, I just talked about how great the Millar run on Marvel Knights Spider-Man was over in the #2.5 thread. Inexplicably, Trouble and MKSM were done by the exact same creative team, Mark Millar and Terry Dodson. This proves that every great team has at least one complete turd in them.

That's absolutely true. One of my all time favorite Spider-man stories is the one where Chameleon dies in 1999. The biggest piece of junk that I've ever read beyond One More Day has to be the Spectacular Spider-man arc where Peter turns into a giant spider, pops out of his spider self, and magically has organic webshooters.

Both were written by Paul Jenkins.

CrazyChris
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Post by CrazyChris » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:14 am

Good issue. I'm glad you finally explained the Bugle's status. I'm gonna wait to see what you do with this brother thing before I make up my mind on this. Like a lot of people, I'm skeptical about it.

Ratchetdeam30
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Post by Ratchetdeam30 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:06 pm

WHile I do think that this is a great alternate history for spidey, I just have to ask. The question is why? Why do a Clone Saga v2.0? I makes no sense. Also being a bit of a Bibical scholar, I find it charming that peter's brother is named Simon, while Peter and Simon are alternate names for the first desciple of Jesus as well as believed to be the first Pope St.Peter/Simon.

bdog
Artist
Artist

Post by bdog » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:48 pm

Only 4 more days til #6

Kevin Cushing
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Post by Kevin Cushing » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:00 am

Ratchetdeam30 wrote:WHile I do think that this is a great alternate history for spidey, I just have to ask. The question is why? Why do a Clone Saga v2.0? I makes no sense. Also being a bit of a Bibical scholar, I find it charming that peter's brother is named Simon, while Peter and Simon are alternate names for the first desciple of Jesus as well as believed to be the first Pope St.Peter/Simon.
I'm surprised it took so long for someone to point out the Simon-Peter thing! And yes, it was intentional. Just seemed kind of natural to me.

As for the idea that this is the Clone Saga 2.0, that's a very curious statement. How do you see it that way?

FSUSpiderFan
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Post by FSUSpiderFan » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:51 am

Holy crap! I didn't think of the Simon Peter biblical connection. That is cool.

Spideydude
Administrator
Administrator
Location: Texas Panhandle Chapter of the Crawl Space Command Center

Post by Spideydude » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:03 am

I'm just ready for Kevin to debut #6 and prove everyone's doubt's wrong.
This Post was Brought to you by... Spideydude! Your Friendly Neighborhood Administrator!
Check out My Exclusive Online SeriesCrawl Space Avengers!
CSA Member Since 2003 Delta House Member: Cyclone

JR Fettingers Marvel:I'd hire Spideydude to be me at conventions, with his cowboy hat, a cigar sticking out of his mouth, and a beer in his hand because he would certainly look a lot "cooler" and "more relatable" to the fanbase that a short, gray haired middle aged man.

Kevin Cushing
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Post by Kevin Cushing » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:06 pm

Zach, as the resident Clone Saga expert, would you care to share any thoughts on the assertion that this is Clone Saga 2.0? For the life of me I can't figure it out.

Spideydude
Administrator
Administrator
Location: Texas Panhandle Chapter of the Crawl Space Command Center

Post by Spideydude » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:53 pm

No Clue, this is much different, they don't share any type of memories, they are completely two different people. ANd as such, they aren't clones. Unless you bring back the Jackal, then say he has implanted memories. Although I'd venture the guess that Kevin has zero plans to go that route.

Unless Simon is really Ben Reilly, then we'd be talking some smack.

-Dude
This Post was Brought to you by... Spideydude! Your Friendly Neighborhood Administrator!
Check out My Exclusive Online SeriesCrawl Space Avengers!
CSA Member Since 2003 Delta House Member: Cyclone

JR Fettingers Marvel:I'd hire Spideydude to be me at conventions, with his cowboy hat, a cigar sticking out of his mouth, and a beer in his hand because he would certainly look a lot "cooler" and "more relatable" to the fanbase that a short, gray haired middle aged man.

ditko_loves_green77
Avenger
Avenger

Post by ditko_loves_green77 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:12 pm

Clone Saga 2.0?
Because there's more tan one person with Spider powers?
Because there's someone who Peter might consider a brother?

Those are the only two connections I can find.