Crawl Space #5 Discussion Thread

The official home of the unauthorized, original continuity Spider-Man web series by Kevin Cushing.
SpiderPlumber
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

outstanding!!!

Post by SpiderPlumber » Fri May 01, 2009 9:34 pm

This is some awesome stuff...as others are saying, this is a far better written piece than anything ASM has put out since well BEFORE OMD, BND, etc....

I'm suspecting the whole Simon Parker thing to be something that was set into motion by Norman...similar to the Pete's Parents saga that Harry orchestrated...time will tell.

4 Spidey-pipe wrenches out of 5!!! [smilie=spidey_thumbs.gif]
"That ol' Parker Luck...."

Kevin Cushing
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Post by Kevin Cushing » Fri May 01, 2009 11:12 pm

Hey thanks man, I appreciate that! Good to still be hearing positive reactions so long after an issue has gone up. You made my day!
Join my page on Facebook to keep up to date with all writing projects, podcasts, and everything else I'm involved in!

"The ground quakes and the heavens cry tears of blood when Kevin gives out his brand of Crawlspace justice. Babies cry, grown men avert their eyes, women pass out and even the wind gives pause. Kevin’s eyes glow and lightning crackles around them. It’s pretty epic and definitely not for the timid." - Michael Bailey

cpahl2000
Avenger
Avenger

Post by cpahl2000 » Sat May 02, 2009 10:13 pm

Kevin Cushing wrote:Hey thanks man, I appreciate that! Good to still be hearing positive reactions so long after an issue has gone up. You made my day!

We are with you Kevin. [smilie=spidey_yeah_that.gif]
Delta Tau Chi Brother Name- Manta

Janus
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Post by Janus » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:28 am

Kevin Cushing wrote:Hey thanks man, I appreciate that! Good to still be hearing positive reactions so long after an issue has gone up. You made my day!
Longtime lurker here.

I kind of skimmed SM:CS when the first issue came out, but I wasn't a fan of reading (Reading a comic book? Gasp. Will the horrors never cease!)

However, upon become so incredibly, incredibly turned off by everything Spider-Man comic related (Love me some Spectacular) I decided I may as well give it another go.

Kev, I signed up on this board just to tell you this.

This story blows the freaking snot out of everything the so-called "Braintrust" is publishing. So while I do understand that life gets in the way, I hope that you manage to finish the next issue so I can continue to actually enjoy reading Spider-Man.

Kevin Cushing
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Post by Kevin Cushing » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:17 am

Janus wrote:Longtime lurker here.

I kind of skimmed SM:CS when the first issue came out, but I wasn't a fan of reading (Reading a comic book? Gasp. Will the horrors never cease!)

However, upon become so incredibly, incredibly turned off by everything Spider-Man comic related (Love me some Spectacular) I decided I may as well give it another go.

Kev, I signed up on this board just to tell you this.

This story blows the freaking snot out of everything the so-called "Braintrust" is publishing. So while I do understand that life gets in the way, I hope that you manage to finish the next issue so I can continue to actually enjoy reading Spider-Man.
Thank you very much for that. Not only is that a great thing to see first thing on a dreary, rainy, work morning, but it's a great motivator, too. Promise, I'll get right on it!
Join my page on Facebook to keep up to date with all writing projects, podcasts, and everything else I'm involved in!

"The ground quakes and the heavens cry tears of blood when Kevin gives out his brand of Crawlspace justice. Babies cry, grown men avert their eyes, women pass out and even the wind gives pause. Kevin’s eyes glow and lightning crackles around them. It’s pretty epic and definitely not for the timid." - Michael Bailey

lincolnstylee
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Post by lincolnstylee » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:42 pm

I have to agree with these last few posts, this story blows omd and anything since away

I wish they would just hire you to fix the mess

Kevin Cushing
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Post by Kevin Cushing » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:32 pm

lincolnstylee wrote:I have to agree with these last few posts, this story blows omd and anything since away

I wish they would just hire you to fix the mess
Thank you very much for the kind words, Linc! As of this moment I've got half of the next issue finished, finally in a form I like. It turns out, it's insanely difficult to do an issue that's 98% flashback origin story with first person narration and not have it be really boring. That's what I've been struggling with. I think it's finally coming along, though!

FSUSpiderFan
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Post by FSUSpiderFan » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:02 pm

Thanks for the status update. I'm sure it will rock.

Spider-Girl
Avenger
Avenger

Re: Crawl Space #5 Discussion Thread

Post by Spider-Girl » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:02 pm

Pick my jaw off the floor for sure! Haha, I'm shocked, excited, and ready for more!

The thing I like most and least about this issue were all of the flashbacks...most, because you're tying your creation with the printed past, connecting it with your idol JMS; least...because I haven't read those issues and wished I had!

Once again, I really like the friendship between MJ and Carlie, and it is my favorite. Finally, I cannot believe you wrote the DB being destroyed before ASM did! How portentous of you!
'Could I please have a bathroom token?' -- Bertone

Please sign my petition to get Batgirl: Year One back into production! http://www.gopetition.com/online/36228.html

Kevin Cushing
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Post by Kevin Cushing » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:14 pm

Spider-Girl wrote:Pick my jaw off the floor for sure! Haha, I'm shocked, excited, and ready for more!
Yay! :mrgreen:
The thing I like most and least about this issue were all of the flashbacks...most, because you're tying your creation with the printed past, connecting it with your idol JMS; least...because I haven't read those issues and wished I had!
You'd probably be surprised how little of that is connected to what JMS wrote. There were some direct cut scenes, to be sure, but most of it was what I came up with to come after Sins Remembered (which you should never read). But I do highly recommend reading Sins Past! A very controversial story, but one of my favorites. Love or hate the developments, the craft is unassailable.
Once again, I really like the friendship between MJ and Carlie, and it is my favorite.
They're just good together, aren't they? I find it a shame that ASM can't utilize that.
Finally, I cannot believe you wrote the DB being destroyed before ASM did! How portentous of you!
Correction - I wrote the Daily Bugle being destroyed :wink:

Spider-Girl
Avenger
Avenger

Post by Spider-Girl » Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:03 am

Kevin Cushing wrote:
Finally, I cannot believe you wrote the DB being destroyed before ASM did! How portentous of you!
Correction - I wrote the Daily Bugle being destroyed :wink:
Sorry, I stand corrected! Old/bad habits and such...
'Could I please have a bathroom token?' -- Bertone

Please sign my petition to get Batgirl: Year One back into production! http://www.gopetition.com/online/36228.html

BD
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by BD » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:25 am

Wow, a brother huh or a clone possibly? Another solid issue Kev. You've got me hooked and I'm reading these issue by issue and making notes for ya.

Pros: The Jameson nicotine patch and gum. Funny scene, but also touching seeing as how Jonah's broke as a joke and the newspaper is dying.

I loved the creepyness of the Grey Goblin getting his mask sewn to his face. Gross stuff, but sounds like the making of a good origin.

I also enjoyed the MJ/ Carlie scene. I liked Mj's humor and how Carlie picked up how she's deflecting.

Cons: I kinda got lost with all the flashbacks. I'm sure with an artist it would have been better for me to remember. I read all those JMS issues, but they aren't that fresh to me. I do like how Gabriel lost his face.

I'm hoping the brother thing is a clone. I'm not real keen on Peter having a bro. He's an only child and Ben is about as close as a "bro" as i'd like.

I'm off to read issue 6.
BD
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Spider-Man Crawl Space Webmaster
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nova#1
Webslinger
Webslinger

Post by Nova#1 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:07 am

Kevin Cushing wrote:Bet ya didn't see that one coming, eh?
Got that one right. Really didn't see that coming. Another good issue though. I'm really interested in seeing how MJ's friendship with Carlie is going to develop.
Click to see what Ben Reilly thinks of OMD

Venomaniac
Avenger
Avenger

Post by Venomaniac » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:10 am

Just reread it and I have a question

Now that I know the identity of the black-clad man, I don't rmember him having any scientific knowledge such as the elctrode-memory-restoring process he used on gabriel

Since you ARE the expert on hiom, as the black-clad man had any science skills like that? it seemed ooc for me

If you liked Lost... you will love Fringe
If you liked the X-Files... you will love Fringe

http://www.fringetelevision.com/2009/11 ... ringe.html
http://www.fringebloggers.com/fringe-se ... more-20649
http://www.fringebloggers.com/just-the- ... more-21165
http://www.fringebloggers.com/fringe-se ... more-20971
If there is any sports team that Spider-Man embodies...it is the New York Islanders
The Wave Beam: shoots electric Kitty Prydes at people at the speed of light. -CrazyChris

Kevin Cushing
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Post by Kevin Cushing » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:24 pm

For folks who haven't read #8 yet I'll answer that in spoiler tags:
Morbius is the world's leading biochemist, earning a Nobel Prize in the field shortly before he became a vampire. And he accidentally turned himself into a vampire using electro-shock therapy. What I have him using on Gabe in this issue and Simon in #6 is something I came up with, but it's a natural extension of his expertise with such things that he's been working on for years. The best example of his technical prowess in the comics since he became a vampire was a very complex computerized chamber he created with his friend Joseph in Morbius: The Living Vampire which he slept in and, along with a serum he created, helped him retake human form for about 12 hours at a time.

I'm admittedly using much more of his scientific knowledge than many writers have, but considering he is a brilliant biochemist, Morbius should be one of the smartest men in the world. And how he's developed some of this technology will be shown in further detail in Spider-Man: Crawl Space Annual #1, coming between #12 and 13. Hope that's a satisfactory answer!