Crawl Space #4 Discussion Thread

The official home of the unauthorized, original continuity Spider-Man web series by Kevin Cushing.
bdog
Artist
Artist

Post by bdog » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:56 pm

Jut got back form a basketball tournament will read it soon!

Kevin Cushing
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Post by Kevin Cushing » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:37 pm

coolmvm wrote:I'm impressed by this issue and it recent developments on Spider-man's life.
Thanks, cool! This issue was kind of a big point since it was my first big reveal, so I was mostly just hoping it would go over better than Jackpot :wink: Glad you're enjoying my take on Spidey!
FSUSpiderFan wrote:Peter joking to the Faceless man seemed a bit off, since he the guy he thinks killed his aunt.
Well, Peter's always masked his true feelings with humor as Spidey. And where clearly this is an instance where he would want to just let loose, he had to be mindful that a bunch of investigative reporters that know Peter Parker were looking on. So he couldn't just come in with his true feelings, but you'll notice once he got close enough to whisper there were no jokes.
I love Vast. I remember hearing “Touched” on the first episode of Angel and have been a fan of their music ever since.
It was the second episode of Angel, "Lonely Hearts," and that's where I discovered it, too! I was rewatching the first season recently and latched onto it. I liked it before, but I finally decided to look up what it was. Awesome song!
Bevie wrote:One of the many reasons I enjoy your Crawlspace Spidey is that you treat MJ with respect, and that is all I ask.
That means a lot, Bevie, thanks! You may be the biggest relationship fan, so I'm really glad you agree with me here.
bdog wrote:Jut got back form a basketball tournament will read it soon!
Can't wait to read the colorist's review!
Join my page on Facebook to keep up to date with all writing projects, podcasts, and everything else I'm involved in!

"The ground quakes and the heavens cry tears of blood when Kevin gives out his brand of Crawlspace justice. Babies cry, grown men avert their eyes, women pass out and even the wind gives pause. Kevin’s eyes glow and lightning crackles around them. It’s pretty epic and definitely not for the timid." - Michael Bailey

Vinny57
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Post by Vinny57 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:03 pm

"oh good. your an idiot"

hahahaha my favorite line bro. I actually laughed out loud.

I really like how he wise cracked coming in and then once he got real close to the faceless man he whispered in his ear what he really felt. Made it seem so much more personal.

Kev. I have to say that this one issue is about 100 times better than than the piece of toilet paper I just read recently in ASM with the Molten Man.

Kevin Cushing
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Post by Kevin Cushing » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:11 pm

Vinny57 wrote:I really like how he wise cracked coming in and then once he got real close to the faceless man he whispered in his ear what he really felt. Made it seem so much more personal.
Ya know Vin, you always seem to be on the exact same wavelength as me. It's a pleasure writing for readers like you! Very glad you enjoyed the issue, sir!
Kev. I have to say that this one issue is about 100 times better than than the piece of toilet paper I just read recently in ASM with the Molten Man.
Ha, that sounds like a comment for the "Goblin King vs. Mind on Fire" thread! :lol:
Join my page on Facebook to keep up to date with all writing projects, podcasts, and everything else I'm involved in!

"The ground quakes and the heavens cry tears of blood when Kevin gives out his brand of Crawlspace justice. Babies cry, grown men avert their eyes, women pass out and even the wind gives pause. Kevin’s eyes glow and lightning crackles around them. It’s pretty epic and definitely not for the timid." - Michael Bailey

Lockdown
Webslinger
Webslinger

Post by Lockdown » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:37 pm

Nicely done Rob. I'm really intrigued by the Black Spider and I can't wait to see Harry confront his brother. Grey vs King.

Kevin Cushing
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Post by Kevin Cushing » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:58 pm

Lockdown wrote:Nicely done Rob. I'm really intrigued by the Black Spider and I can't wait to see Harry confront his brother. Grey vs King.
Thanks but...who's Rob? [smilie=spidey_shrug.gif]

coolmvm
Webslinger
Webslinger

Post by coolmvm » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:50 pm

Hey Kevin,

Any mentioning of "Frontline," the "other Newspaper" That JJJ put his money into, appearing within this series ?

Also Any future mentioning of the Skrull invasion ?

Otherwise, great issue, and yes, a great shocking ending as well. Please keep up the the good work on this great series. [smilie=spidey_clap.gif]
Spider-girl forever!!

BtmxComedy
Avenger
Avenger

Post by BtmxComedy » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:20 am

I was going to wait a while before reading this...I don't know why I rushed to it just so I can wait forever for #5...I don't know why I'm up one hour before class at 8 in the morning and writing a review...but let's start.

Spider-man: Crawl Space #4 (A BTMX Review)

PLOT: read it for free on the site

-Harry is a pleasure to read. If he was not, then this issue would be in serious trouble because his inclusion is almost needless for the plot (the plot of this specific issue in itself anyhow). I really like the new Harry and I hope the transition from Old Harry to New Harry personality wise will one day be shown.
-Mr. Clean was an effective comic relief

DISLIKES

- What is JJJ trying to do when he is goating the Faceless man? I think there was a plan but I didn't exactly get it.
- While it is possible that the evacuation of the Daily Bugle happened in 23 seconds, it didn't FEEL like 23 seconds in the comic, felt like a lot longer. Probably because it took me a more than 23 seconds just to read the text and I read faster than people talk.
- Gray Goblin as the Faceless man? Eh. I'm definitely going to give the Gray Goblin a shot but as of now I'm not all that excited. I would also add that I can't imagine how I'd ever like the Gray Goblin but that's what I said about Carlie and now she's one of my favorite Spider-man characters of all time. And speaking of which...
- Where is Carlie? I hate the character, I fall in love with the character, and then I lose her after I realize what she meant to me? Damn you Kevin!

FAVORITE QUOTE:

SPIDEY:
I’m, uh, flattered, but you really should choose another gimmick.
Off the top of my head there’s already a Black Tarantula, a Spider-Woman…a Spider-Woman, a Spider-Woman…three Scarlet Spiders, which are kinda like a cover band but that’s a whole other story –

RATING:

It wasn't a bad issue, I can't say anything was done wrong. However nothing really made me bat an eye. Daily Bugle blown up? I've seen it before and hope its used for a better purpose now...but on its own nothing shocking. Gray Goblin? I'm suppressing my hate of the character for the time being but its not making me happy persay. Black Spider? I'm interested to see where this goes but I'm going to have to know a little bit more before I'm hooked on this villain. The redeeming part of the issue was Harry being Harry.

In terms of writing and characterization I feel like the issues have only gotten better as the series goes along but story wise the bar has been set much higher than this last issue so I have no choice but to give...

3 webheads out of 5

bdog
Artist
Artist

Post by bdog » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:04 am

Alright these are my thoughts

I absolutely loved this issue! It was full of action, suspense and the way you handled the daily bugle fight was genious. I also liked the way spidey confronted Mr. Clean and the Black Spider.

Unfortunately I figured out that the faceless man was the Grey Goblin half way through the issue with my cunning brain and sherlock holmes esk skills lol.

other than that great issue!

Also every time I picture Harry it sends shivers up my spine :)

5/5

Kevin Cushing
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Post by Kevin Cushing » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:42 pm

coolmvm wrote:Any mentioning of "Frontline," the "other Newspaper" That JJJ put his money into, appearing within this series ?
Not likely, but not impossible. The story of the paper is ongoing and organic, so anything could happen.
Also Any future mentioning of the Skrull invasion ?
Gotta go with a big "hell no" on that one, sorry. Honestly, I was trying to keep this reflecting current Marvel continuity but as soon as they had Norman Osborn take over the world, there was no way I could keep it in line. Sorry Marvel, already killed 'im. And even beyond that I probably wouldn't have dealt with the invasion anyway, because I was sick to death of Skrulls about half a year ago.
Otherwise, great issue, and yes, a great shocking ending as well. Please keep up the the good work on this great series. [smilie=spidey_clap.gif]
Thanks cool, hope you like issue 5!
BtmxComedy wrote:Harry is a pleasure to read. If he was not, then this issue would be in serious trouble because his inclusion is almost needless for the plot (the plot of this specific issue in itself anyhow).
Glad you're liking Harry so much. This is the interpretation of him I've really always wanted to see in the comics (in fact, Harry being so completely wasted when he finally was brought back by Marvel was one of the chief reasons I decided to go ahead and create Crawl Space).

As for his inclusion in this issue, there were two major reasons. First was to help guide the reader along the mystery of the Faceless Man without most readers even realizing. I find a reveal like Jackpot in the ASM Annual to be a total cheat, because we simply knew nothing about it. With Harry's investigation in CS #4, it would still be pretty hard to call that Gabe was the Faceless Man, but you had a chance to put the pieces together. More importantly it rewards a reread where you're smacking your head thinking "I can't believe I didn't get that!" whereas rereading the Jackpot issues of ASM would just leave you...still pissed.

The second reason for his role in this was to tie things together from point A to point B. If Harry hadn't found out who he was in this issue (and thus started heading back to the states between issues) he would've just shown up next issue to kill Gabe with no connective tissue between the point where we saw him decide to go after his brother and the point where he found him. All in all that would have been both shoddy and disappointing. And now when I fill in what's happened to Gabe in #5, you will already have a basis for the chain of events from the bits Harry discovered. I actually think Harry's role in this issue was quite essential in many ways.
I really like the new Harry and I hope the transition from Old Harry to New Harry personality wise will one day be shown.
There is a one shot planned (perhaps an Annual, but I'm old fashioned in that I think if you're going to do an annual, you should do them annually, and I don't have that many one shot stories planned) called Crawl Space: Rise of the Goblin King that will do just that. But there's a very important character to that story who's not ready to be revealed yet. Expect it in the first half of Crawl Space's second year.
What is JJJ trying to do when he is goating the Faceless man? I think there was a plan but I didn't exactly get it.
As I said earlier in this thread, he's so arrogant that he thinks if he can just get the Faceless Man into a one on one fight, he'll win it. Sorry if I didn't put that across well enough. Admittedly, a lot of those scenes ended up fairly cut down from their original imaginings.
Gray Goblin as the Faceless man? Eh. I'm definitely going to give the Gray Goblin a shot but as of now I'm not all that excited. I would also add that I can't imagine how I'd ever like the Gray Goblin but that's what I said about Carlie and now she's one of my favorite Spider-man characters of all time.
I will do my best to pull another Carlie on you! I personally really like the Grey Goblin, but my appreciation is all in potential rather than anything he's actually done thusfar.
Where is Carlie? I hate the character, I fall in love with the character, and then I lose her after I realize what she meant to me? Damn you Kevin!
See how Crawl Space mirrors real life that way? It's all a whole meta commentary on - Ok, I'm not even fooling myself. The truth is I missed her, too. I had a one page interlude between her and Flash in this issue, but it just didn't fit. It didn't fit space-wise and it didn't fit tone-wise. And I'm sorry to say things in Spider-Man Black are going to be moving so fast from here that her character beats are likely going to get pushed to next arc. But starting there, expect a lot more Carlie. Her role is going to explode in year 2.

And I'll also say that I find Spider-Man's supporting cast to be so diverse and interesting that I want to use more than just two of them. I'm kind of working on a revolving door for supporting cast members. I can't use them all every issue, but Carlie and Flash got their spotlight last issue, and this issue it was the Bugle's turn (though none of the staffers got the spotlight I would have liked). Both groups of people will be important in the future, but not necessarily at the same time. Though Carlie is top of the supporting cast in my mind. And I'm not finished adding to it yet...
bdog wrote:Unfortunately I figured out that the faceless man was the Grey Goblin half way through the issue with my cunning brain and sherlock holmes esk skills lol.
Wow, you're the first I've heard of! Well done!
5/5
Hey thanks man, I really appreciate that! Glad you dug it!

BtmxComedy
Avenger
Avenger

Post by BtmxComedy » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:20 pm

Kevin you really have this planned out.

How far into the future do you have a roughly outlined idea for?

Kevin Cushing
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Post by Kevin Cushing » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:30 pm

BtmxComedy wrote:Kevin you really have this planned out.

How far into the future do you have a roughly outlined idea for?
About 4 years right now, but I'm spontaneously coming up with new ideas all the time. The hard part is when I come up with something I love that needs to come sooner than just tacking it onto the end and have to shift things around. But honestly I do that kind of a lot. It's a fun process, if sometimes not easy. I'd say I have about 4 years plotted out in arcs, and several story and character ideas for later that haven't been as well defined yet. I have no doubt I can perpetuate this indefinitely.

cpahl2000
Avenger
Avenger

Post by cpahl2000 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:49 pm

Lockdown wrote:Nicely done Rob. I'm really intrigued by the Black Spider and I can't wait to see Harry confront his brother. Grey vs King.

Me too, it will be one of the plots I´m anxious to read, alongside Black Spider identity.
Delta Tau Chi Brother Name- Manta

Kevin Cushing
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Post by Kevin Cushing » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:49 pm

cpahl2000 wrote:

Me too, it will be one of the plots I´m anxious to read, alongside Black Spider identity.
Then you're gonna love parts 3 and 4!

cpahl2000
Avenger
Avenger

Post by cpahl2000 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:10 pm

Kevin Cushing wrote:
cpahl2000 wrote:

Then you're gonna love parts 3 and 4!

I´m already loving. [smilie=spidey_yeah_that.gif]
Delta Tau Chi Brother Name- Manta