MARCO SPEAKS SPIDEY: VENOM #2 REVIEW

Before I formally started my review of the first issue when it came out, I was whining about not having been able to catch the latest Venom movie. Now that I have actually seen it, I will proudly whine about having to wait for the next Spider-Man movie because that scene during the credits really rocked my world. In any case, this current ongoing series of Venom is a perfect companion for long-time fans, or even for new readers getting interested in the character because of the latest film. But this time around, the focus and emphasis shift more on Dylan and his journey to… really just survive, actually.

OFFICIAL MARVEL COMICS DESCRIPTION:

Published:

December 01, 2021

Writer:

Ram. V.

Penciler:

Bryan Hitch

Cover Artist:

Bryan Hitch

The tour de force of comics awesomeness brought to you by the dynamite new creative team on VENOM continues! VENOM #1 shocked, intrigued and terrified you! With Ram V and Al Ewing weaving a mind-bending story that will push Eddie and Dylan Brock to their limits, and Bryan Hitch doing some of the most action-packed work of his career, VENOM #2 will do all that AND MORE!

AN EPIC NEW ERA FOR THE NOT-SO-SINISTER SYMBIOTE CONTINUES!!!

PROS:

• Readers are now getting a more fleshed-out view and perspective of Eddie as a father. Eddie talks about how he has so many regrets in life, and about how he has done more bad things than good. But the heartwarming moment comes when he explains that the fact that he had a son, that he was able to bring Dylan into this world, gives him hope. This little speech by Eddie humanizes him even more, and shows his vulnerability even though he already reached a kingly or even godly level.
  • Finally, we get some girl power, and Archer Lyle looks like the exact person that Dylan will need if he is going to survive the bloodthirsty government and their troops. The soldiers hunting Dylan are packing heavy, with sonic mines and nullifiers, so as much as Dylan would like to argue, he was really in a tight spot until Archer Lyle stepped in to save his butt. Will this be a sort of action-packed, buddy thriller kind of deal or will she act as his cool, hard-hitting mother figure? Tune in to find out!
  • The entire art team is nailing ever panel with this issue, and the emotion, fight-scenes, and even the environment all feel so real. Even the meanness of a dog is expertly portrayed. That attention of detail will go a long way in capturing the overall vibe and ferociousness of the book as we build the storyline. And historically, we can rely on these talents to be consistent in the art that they churn out.
  • The symbiotic relationship was sent a little love letter when Venom asked what would Eddie do. Their bond and relationship have really grown over the years.
  • “Come with me if you want to live.” Perfect way to end any issue of any comic book series. Really. I approve.

CONS:

• We all know Marvel can’t kill off Eddie Brock, so the threat of his final demise is never really tangible. In line with this, there could have been more back-story into what has happened to Eddie Brock, especially after how the first issue ended. I guess we will have to wait and see for more answers.

FINAL GRADE: A

This new volume started at an insanely high-octane level, and the creative team does not appear to be pulling their feet off the pedal any time soon. What makes this book even more exciting is the endless possibilities for not only one but TWO major protagonists. We have Eddie, who is an all-time fan-favorite, but we also are following the escapades of his son, Dylan, who provides a breath of fresh air, and perhaps a more relatable experience out of the two main characters. Overall, this book has been a reliable buy so far, and a perfect way to keep our appetites satisfied after finishing the latest Venom movie, and eagerly anticipating the next Spider-Man movie. We can’t be sure how big a role Venom will play in all this, but the mere fact that the spotlight is being aimed at him makes me a proud fan.

Like it? Share it!
Previous Article

Panel(s) of the Day #1219 (Ditko!)

Next Article

The Chi-Town Breakdown: ASM #881

You might be interested in …

1 Comment

1. Reading the good first issue, I felt that Dylan’s part was the most boring and this second issue confirms that for me. At least the art was great, I don’t even mind if they changed Sleeper’s cat mode design or ditched the Knull symbol for the classic one on Dylan Venom’s chest (actually glad they did).
    I fear that for knowing more about Eddie we will have to wait till issue 5, if the solicitations are of any indication.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *