Crawl Space #2 Discussion Thread

The official home of the unauthorized, original continuity Spider-Man web series by Kevin Cushing.
BtmxComedy
Avenger
Avenger

Post by BtmxComedy » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:17 pm

Spider-man: Crawl Space #2 (A Review)

PLOT: read it for free on the site

- Wraps up Civil War related circumstances involving Tony Stark (Nicely and all in three pages I might add).
- Funeral scene was well done. It softens the concern I have with the way Aunt May's death is dealt with.
- Marriage after the Funeral. At first this may make no sense coming from a reader who thinks Aunt May's death was handled too softly but with the way Peter traded his marriage for his Aunt's life in One More Day, this is a totally Peter Parker thing to do.
- Reprinting Images of Amazing Spider-man Annual #21 is badass. In the imaginary universe I live in where Crawl Space is official, it's a delightful way to stick it to those who want to dismantle Spider-man's life. Peter's past is his past whether one likes it or not. You can't unwrite Amazing Spider-man Annual #21 and here it is to remind you.
- Flash Thompson! (OK, I just like him)
- Norman doing his wedding crasher thing
- Norman and Harry having it back and forth.
-"HARRY:Father - You have been a great disappointment to me." Best Spider-man quote in a long while.
- Norman's death was completely unexpected and delightful after the way he treated MJ.
-Harry talking to Norman's head gives a good taste of the type of person Harry is now (the most badass villain Spider-man has ever had).

DISLIKES

- Aunt May's death still goes by too easily. I mean the funeral scene was a good start but like Peter says, this is basically Peter's mom and I think her death would be killing him. However there doesn't seem to be any sort of overarching sadness or even shallow depression. Peter seems to be ready to move on with his life from shortly after her death. The nice thing about the funeral scene is that it did offer a place for some of the emotion that I thought was missing, making characterization that used to bother me significantly as I read, a more minor annoyance.

-Carlie and MJ's conversation to me is the sourest point of the issue and I am going to start out by stating that I hate everything about it. I don't really want to write an essay about it because other than that, I enjoyed this issue very much. It was relatively short so I'll make my complaining about it relatively short by making a list of what I disliked.
1) Why isn't Carlie pissed off that Peter used her in an affair? Why does she sound like she'd jump back into an affair with Peter if given half a chance? I get why she didn't throw a fit at Peter's ceremony but if her bizarre relationship to the Parkers isn't elaborated on in the future, Carlie's existence in Crawl Space will be a poor reflection on the series as a whole.
2) Is this Carlie's and MJ first real conversation? What ever happened to small talk.
3) OK even without small talk...I know MJ is extroverted but not THAT extroverted. What is she doing talking to someone she barely knows on her wedding day about men she merely snuggled with in bed.
4) Why is Carlie asking if MJ is dropping 'Watson' from her name, seems so random. I guess MJ completely threw her off.
5) I can't tell what MJ wants. Is she trying to make Carlie feel better or vent out her own feelings while passively putting down Carlie...I can't tell with that 'Almost' part and the ending. It almost seems like she wants to be best buddies and scare her to death at the same time.

Ok fine, it wasn't that short. I'm almost sorry.

FAVORITE QUOTE:
HARRY:Father - You have been a great disappointment to me.

RATING:

I rated the last issue a hesitant 4 out of 5 webheads, but this rating I will give with complete confidence. It's a great issue I'm only taking a little bit off for the Carlie and MJ conversation.

4.5 webheads out of 5

Kevin Cushing
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Post by Kevin Cushing » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:48 pm

Thanks BTMX! That's a great freakin' rating, and I really appreciate it. Harsh words on the Carlie conversation, but I guess we'll see how you feel about her next issue. If you haven't been won over by then (I love her to death, even though the brain trust left me to do all the character building myself) you may never like her. Ah well. Hope to change your mind, though! Looking forward to your review of #3. It's kind of like you're getting the Crawl Space trade paperback experience. Cool!
Join my page on Facebook to keep up to date with all writing projects, podcasts, and everything else I'm involved in!

"The ground quakes and the heavens cry tears of blood when Kevin gives out his brand of Crawlspace justice. Babies cry, grown men avert their eyes, women pass out and even the wind gives pause. Kevin’s eyes glow and lightning crackles around them. It’s pretty epic and definitely not for the timid." - Michael Bailey

BtmxComedy
Avenger
Avenger

Post by BtmxComedy » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:26 pm

Kevin Cushing wrote: It's kind of like you're getting the Crawl Space trade paperback experience. Cool!
Yeah that's how I look at it too. I just read #3 and I'll write a review for it now. At the rate I'm going I'm going to be sitting tomorrow or Wednesday waiting in anticipation for the next issue with the rest of the guys. This is going to be tough after having something new to read everyday...

...I think I'm addicted.

Mister Mets

Post by Mister Mets » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:34 am

Slightly related to a previous conversation on this thread, The New Yorker has a decent spotlight on screenwriter Tony Gilroy (the Bourne trilogy, Michael Clayton) and his skill with the reversal, essentially anything that counts as a surprise to the viewer (and sometimes the characters.) Generally, it's considered a staple of fiction, and you could probably find plenty of examples even in comics in which it's just two characters talking.

Kevin Cushing
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Post by Kevin Cushing » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:40 am

Wow, moving on really isn't your thing, huh?
Join my page on Facebook to keep up to date with all writing projects, podcasts, and everything else I'm involved in!

"The ground quakes and the heavens cry tears of blood when Kevin gives out his brand of Crawlspace justice. Babies cry, grown men avert their eyes, women pass out and even the wind gives pause. Kevin’s eyes glow and lightning crackles around them. It’s pretty epic and definitely not for the timid." - Michael Bailey

Mister Mets

Post by Mister Mets » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:31 pm

Kevin Cushing wrote:Wow, moving on really isn't your thing, huh?
Never. :P

Seriously, I remembered this discussion while reading an article in the New Yorker. Parts of the spotlight articulated what I was trying to say pretty effectively.

BertoneBeatle
Avenger
Avenger

Post by BertoneBeatle » Sat May 23, 2009 12:27 am

Reread this tonight for the first time in months out of boredom and if I didn't before I must now give you props for "I didn't know the difference between Aunt May and Mother". One of the better Spider-Man lines I've seen.

Hollister4Mayor
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey

Re: Crawl Space #2 Discussion Thread

Post by Hollister4Mayor » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:47 pm

Truly enjoyable, I have to say Norman terrified me... until Harry scared me even more!

Kevin Cushing
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Post by Kevin Cushing » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:47 am

Wow, thanks Hollister! It's always a wonderful surprise to get new comments on old issues. Much appreciated!

And welcome to the boards, sir! I hope you enjoy it here, and I'm glad you found this series!

Hollister4Mayor
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey

Post by Hollister4Mayor » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:31 pm

Kevin Cushing wrote:Wow, thanks Hollister! It's always a wonderful surprise to get new comments on old issues. Much appreciated!

And welcome to the boards, sir! I hope you enjoy it here, and I'm glad you found this series!
Actually a friend on another site suggested it. By the way you know it's forbidden to mention Crawl Space on Marvel.com.

Kevin Cushing
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Post by Kevin Cushing » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:18 pm

Hollister4Mayor wrote:Actually a friend on another site suggested it. By the way you know it's forbidden to mention Crawl Space on Marvel.com.
Yep, I believe I'm pretty much directly to thank for that :lol:

But notice how we aren't slapping you down for mentioning them? [smilie=spidey_cheers.gif]

Hollister4Mayor
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey

Post by Hollister4Mayor » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:40 pm

Kevin Cushing wrote:
Hollister4Mayor wrote:Actually a friend on another site suggested it. By the way you know it's forbidden to mention Crawl Space on Marvel.com.
Yep, I believe I'm pretty much directly to thank for that :lol:

But notice how we aren't slapping you down for mentioning them? [smilie=spidey_cheers.gif]
What did you do?

FSUSpiderFan
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Post by FSUSpiderFan » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:43 pm

He wrote Spidey stories that are better than what the professionals are producing at the moment, so they got jealous.

Kevin Cushing
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Post by Kevin Cushing » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:12 am

There was a long thread on that board for Crawl Space (this series, not the website). After several months on hiatus, I put an update in there when I posted a new issue, and the next thing you know the entire thread was deleted and links to the Crawl Space were banned. I'm sure there were other precipitating factors, but I seem to have somehow been the last straw.

Venomaniac
Avenger
Avenger

Post by Venomaniac » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:24 pm

wow!
That was great!

The scene with Norman and MJ was extremely creepy, and one of the best things I've read in a long time.

I have some criticisms, but they're very minor ones

-Would spidey agree to register so quickly? COnsidering Tony's implied he wants to use Spidey's Initivite status more often, I could see a little more debating in the negotiations

-I feel odd about Norman referring to his alter ego as the Green Goblin. I know that sentence sounds odd, but if he's talking to HArry or Mj (people he is personal with) I feel he should talk about his alter-ego ina more personal sense, maybe shortening it to "the Goblin" or just "Him"

- WHile I really liked the Harry/Norman confrontation, I don't think Harry would be so open to Norman that he loved Gwen so quickly. I felt that scene could have been a little more fighting about other issues, while in the back of Harry's mind it was all about Gwen. Then in a climacting moment in the (verbal) fight, Harry's true feelings let loose.
I really felt this scene, while really good, should have been longer

-As much as I understand Harry's motives, I don't think he'd kill Norman. Despite all the crap that he's had, Harry is a neglected child, and he'd always want to win his father's love,no matter what happens

-The name the Goblin King strikes me as kind of corny, but that's a personal thing

But besides that, I loved it, and came out of reading it wanting to read the next one- something that rarely happens with a comic for me

FAR outshines #1
Can't wait for #3!

If you liked Lost... you will love Fringe
If you liked the X-Files... you will love Fringe

http://www.fringetelevision.com/2009/11 ... ringe.html
http://www.fringebloggers.com/fringe-se ... more-20649
http://www.fringebloggers.com/just-the- ... more-21165
http://www.fringebloggers.com/fringe-se ... more-20971
If there is any sports team that Spider-Man embodies...it is the New York Islanders
The Wave Beam: shoots electric Kitty Prydes at people at the speed of light. -CrazyChris