General Discussion Thread

The official home of the unauthorized, original continuity Spider-Man web series by Kevin Cushing.
Kevin Cushing
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Re: General Discussion Thread

Post by Kevin Cushing » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:32 am

FSUSpiderFan wrote:Are we ever getting the teased "Annual" stories? I was interested in those. You'll have to call it a Giant Sized special or something because Annual would definitely be a misnomer at this point.
"The Parker/Osborn War" is a true reworking of about a year's worth of stories, including some of the Annual. Important revelations from the Annual will be worked into this arc through flashback, which I think will actually give them a lot more of an impact when they're directly connected to the things they lead to in present day.
Join my page on Facebook to keep up to date with all writing projects, podcasts, and everything else I'm involved in!

"The ground quakes and the heavens cry tears of blood when Kevin gives out his brand of Crawlspace justice. Babies cry, grown men avert their eyes, women pass out and even the wind gives pause. Kevin’s eyes glow and lightning crackles around them. It’s pretty epic and definitely not for the timid." - Michael Bailey

Venomaniac
Avenger
Avenger

Post by Venomaniac » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:10 am

Kevin Cushing wrote:
FSUSpiderFan wrote:Are we ever getting the teased "Annual" stories? I was interested in those. You'll have to call it a Giant Sized special or something because Annual would definitely be a misnomer at this point.
"The Parker/Osborn War" is a true reworking of about a year's worth of stories, including some of the Annual. Important revelations from the Annual will be worked into this arc through flashback, which I think will actually give them a lot more of an impact when they're directly connected to the things they lead to in present day.
That answered part of the question I had: since it's a re-working of stories, I was concerned thaat the plot threads from previous issues would be left by the wayside in favor of the new ideas. Pleased to see that (likely) won't be the case :)

If you liked Lost... you will love Fringe
If you liked the X-Files... you will love Fringe

http://www.fringetelevision.com/2009/11 ... ringe.html
http://www.fringebloggers.com/fringe-se ... more-20649
http://www.fringebloggers.com/just-the- ... more-21165
http://www.fringebloggers.com/fringe-se ... more-20971
If there is any sports team that Spider-Man embodies...it is the New York Islanders
The Wave Beam: shoots electric Kitty Prydes at people at the speed of light. -CrazyChris

Kevin Cushing
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Post by Kevin Cushing » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:37 pm

Venomaniac wrote:
Kevin Cushing wrote:
That answered part of the question I had: since it's a re-working of stories, I was concerned thaat the plot threads from previous issues would be left by the wayside in favor of the new ideas. Pleased to see that (likely) won't be the case :)
An understandable concern, but not the case! What I've basically done here is look at the characters and situations I've set up and come up with new and better ways to go forward with them. It's a combination of the best material from the Annual with the best ideas from about 3 shorter arcs I'd had planned. Where I was going to draw out and separate a lot of things, I realized it would be a lot more fun for me and for the readers if I basically threw them all at each other and watched them explode!
Join my page on Facebook to keep up to date with all writing projects, podcasts, and everything else I'm involved in!

"The ground quakes and the heavens cry tears of blood when Kevin gives out his brand of Crawlspace justice. Babies cry, grown men avert their eyes, women pass out and even the wind gives pause. Kevin’s eyes glow and lightning crackles around them. It’s pretty epic and definitely not for the timid." - Michael Bailey

LooNEY_DAC
Webslinger
Webslinger

Post by LooNEY_DAC » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:32 pm

Kevin Cushing wrote:Where I was going to draw out and separate a lot of things, I realized it would be a lot more fun for me and for the readers if I basically threw them all at each other and watched them explode!
So... the opposite of decompression is explosive compression?

Kevin Cushing
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Post by Kevin Cushing » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:57 pm

LooNEY_DAC wrote:
Kevin Cushing wrote:Where I was going to draw out and separate a lot of things, I realized it would be a lot more fun for me and for the readers if I basically threw them all at each other and watched them explode!
So... the opposite of decompression is explosive compression?
It could be said. Don't think I'm going to just smash a bunch of things together and not give them their proper due, though. What was about 7 issues (an Annual and two three-part arcs, plus some subplot material that might have gone elsewhere) is becoming a six-part arc. Smaller, less satisfying (and less fully realized) stories become an epic war.

I'll also tell you that we're going to pick up 6 months after the end of #12. It didn't feel right coming back two years later and saying "No time has passed!" Plus certain developments can be moved along to their most awesome and useful point instead of chronicling every painstaking moment of getting there. The theme you should be getting from all the changes I've made is - we're gonna have more fun!

But fear not, we're not jettisoning the stuff you want to see. Jonesing for what happens with May and Norman after the cliffhanger ending of #12? Well that's gonna be page 1 of #13!

Venomaniac
Avenger
Avenger

Post by Venomaniac » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:33 pm

So what's the plan after these 6 issues? Even more Crawl Space or another hiatus?

If you liked Lost... you will love Fringe
If you liked the X-Files... you will love Fringe

http://www.fringetelevision.com/2009/11 ... ringe.html
http://www.fringebloggers.com/fringe-se ... more-20649
http://www.fringebloggers.com/just-the- ... more-21165
http://www.fringebloggers.com/fringe-se ... more-20971
If there is any sports team that Spider-Man embodies...it is the New York Islanders
The Wave Beam: shoots electric Kitty Prydes at people at the speed of light. -CrazyChris

Kevin Cushing
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Post by Kevin Cushing » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:16 am

Venomaniac wrote:So what's the plan after these 6 issues? Even more Crawl Space or another hiatus?
I've got plans for more stories, but I'm going to see how things are going in my life once The Parker/Osborn War is complete. I think it may be a good idea to take a little bit of a break between arcs, not pretend I and my artists can keep this at a monthly schedule without getting paid for it. But if all goes well I have a 3-part arc planned after it and then a longer arc that I've been building to for quite awhile.

Shadow116
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey

Post by Shadow116 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:25 am

Damn, Kevin's news brought me from Crawl Space limbo, and from all the way in South Korea no less. This friendly neighborhood US soldier approves more Crawlspace! Having dug into a Parker/Osborn War in some of my own Spider-Man writings over the years, I'm definitely excited!

Also, no need to worry Kevin, fans will return for this, I did! Besides that I happen to think you could write as good as the men and women in the business these days. Now let the hyping begin... [smilie=greengoblin.gif]
Last edited by Shadow116 on Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
With great power there must also come great responsibility.

The Friendly Neighborhood Writer

Delta House Member: BLUES

Kevin Cushing
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Post by Kevin Cushing » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:48 pm

Shadow116 wrote:Damn, Kevin's news brought me from Crawl Space limbo, and from all the way in South Korea no less.
Wonderful to see you back, sir! I really hope you enjoy what's to come (and I'm confident you will)!

Kevin Cushing
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Post by Kevin Cushing » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:02 pm

UPDATE: I'm having our wonderful cover artist David "Hambone" Crim draw a new cover for #13 (which our wonderful colorist, bdog, with then have to color), so it may be a little longer before the issue comes out than I'd thought.

The "Kaine with a pumpkin bomb" cover will still be used (and has already been colored), but on a later issue. It just wasn't appropriate for the issue anymore, because Kaine isn't going to appear yet in part 1. Part 1 is going to be a very tight story about just a couple of characters and a contained event before the whole story blows up and the focus goes wide in part 2.

So, the good news is you get even MORE awesome cover material, because the image we're going to end up with for #13 should be awesome, and that great Kaine cover will still get its due at the proper time. (Hambone had already done a #14 cover two years ago that will be used during this story, but probably not for #14).

FSUSpiderFan
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Post by FSUSpiderFan » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:07 am

Still excited about this!

Kevin Cushing
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Post by Kevin Cushing » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:56 pm

UPDATE: Ok, yeah, it's gonna be a little later (which I'm sure is no surprise to anyone). There's a REALLY AWESOME REASON, though! A few weeks ago I found out that Top Cow (publisher of Witchblade, The Darkness, and Artifacts) is doing a Talent Hunt which for the first time ever includes writers! The deadline for submissions is 12/31, so since then I've been spending all my free time and mental energy developing stories for this. They're going to hire two writers and two artists to each do a one-shot or a mini-series for one of their lesser known characters. Obviously, the chance to get published is HUGE for me, so I hope you all understand if I put off work on Crawl Space until the submission period is over. I'll keep you posted!

FSUSpiderFan
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Post by FSUSpiderFan » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:36 pm

Kevin Cushing wrote:UPDATE: Ok, yeah, it's gonna be a little later (which I'm sure is no surprise to anyone). There's a REALLY AWESOME REASON, though! A few weeks ago I found out that Top Cow (publisher of Witchblade, The Darkness, and Artifacts) is doing a Talent Hunt which for the first time ever includes writers! The deadline for submissions is 12/31, so since then I've been spending all my free time and mental energy developing stories for this. They're going to hire two writers and two artists to each do a one-shot or a mini-series for one of their lesser known characters. Obviously, the chance to get published is HUGE for me, so I hope you all understand if I put off work on Crawl Space until the submission period is over. I'll keep you posted!
Sounds like a great opportunity! Good luck! What do you need to submit?

Kevin Cushing
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Post by Kevin Cushing » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:23 am

FSUSpiderFan wrote:
Kevin Cushing wrote:UPDATE: Ok, yeah, it's gonna be a little later (which I'm sure is no surprise to anyone). There's a REALLY AWESOME REASON, though! A few weeks ago I found out that Top Cow (publisher of Witchblade, The Darkness, and Artifacts) is doing a Talent Hunt which for the first time ever includes writers! The deadline for submissions is 12/31, so since then I've been spending all my free time and mental energy developing stories for this. They're going to hire two writers and two artists to each do a one-shot or a mini-series for one of their lesser known characters. Obviously, the chance to get published is HUGE for me, so I hope you all understand if I put off work on Crawl Space until the submission period is over. I'll keep you posted!
Sounds like a great opportunity! Good luck! What do you need to submit?
Sorry I never got back to you on this, but I've now posted the 2 full pitches I created for the Talent Hunt in their own thread. Obviously this means I didn't win, but it was still an amazing opportunity I'm thankful for having!

http://spidermancrawlspace.com/wwwboard ... =16&t=9840

Big Al
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Post by Big Al » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:09 pm

Hey Kev. Just read Crawlspace #12 and enjoyed it quite a bit (know I'm late to the party on this one)

Just wanted to ask a quick question though: how comes the girl at the door at the end of issue 12 claiming to be Peter's daughter has red hair? If it is baby May as the teaser at the end of #12 implies then shouldn't May have brown hair?
Delta House Member Gimli

https://40.media.tumblr.com/2e65cb18213b8d4bf704dca08169e49c/tumblr_nz9jrqvyRA1she6m6o1_400.jpg

"The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the water spout. Down came the Goblin and took the spider out. "

Joey Z was F.A.C.A.D.E.

THIS: http://hellzyeahthewebwieldingavenger.tumblr.com/post/77268781356/the-debate-norman-osborn-vs-otto-octavius-who-is-the

My secret identity is: Ubertestosterone90sArnieAvenger....-Man