General Discussion Thread

The official home of the unauthorized, original continuity Spider-Man web series by Kevin Cushing.
Kevin Cushing
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

General Discussion Thread

Post by Kevin Cushing » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:53 pm

Until there are actual issues to discuss (coming soon!) talk about Spider-Man: Crawl Space here. Any questions for me? Comments on the idea in general? Get it all out folks. I'm chomping at the bit to finally start talking about this thing openly.

And if you haven't already, be sure to check out the Mission Statement!
Join my page on Facebook to keep up to date with all writing projects, podcasts, and everything else I'm involved in!

"The ground quakes and the heavens cry tears of blood when Kevin gives out his brand of Crawlspace justice. Babies cry, grown men avert their eyes, women pass out and even the wind gives pause. Kevin’s eyes glow and lightning crackles around them. It’s pretty epic and definitely not for the timid." - Michael Bailey

BD
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by BD » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:21 pm

Wow Morb, I really liked your mission statement. I don't read any fan fiction, but I'll give this a try. How can I not, since it's named after the site :)
BD
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Spider-Man Crawl Space Webmaster
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kevin Cushing
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Post by Kevin Cushing » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:23 pm

Hey man, when the perfect title is staring you in the face, why fight it? [smilie=spidey_not_kidding.gif]

I really appreciate you giving it a go my friend. And, of course, my personal thanks for giving it a home here. Hopefully I can keep non-fan fic readers like you (and in large part, me) around for the long haul!
Join my page on Facebook to keep up to date with all writing projects, podcasts, and everything else I'm involved in!

"The ground quakes and the heavens cry tears of blood when Kevin gives out his brand of Crawlspace justice. Babies cry, grown men avert their eyes, women pass out and even the wind gives pause. Kevin’s eyes glow and lightning crackles around them. It’s pretty epic and definitely not for the timid." - Michael Bailey

Funnykay
Avenger
Avenger

What the Hell happened in 12 Hours?

Post by Funnykay » Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:12 am

OK, In 12 hours, you've changed your name, started a new continuity (which I want in on seriously. Can I be like a member of the crawlspace Braintrust or something?) McGuire & Raimi are on Spidey 4 AND We still have a podcast to get through! Jeezus!

I have some ideas for your Spider-Man: Crawlspace (see PM's for details) so let's see what you think.

P.S. does everyone know about Spidey's identity due to Civil War or is it different? AND is harry Osborn still alive?
So, who's the real sicko, America? Me, for carrying out this little prank? The producers and executives at the network, who let it all happen-- or is it you people, who mindlessly watched it all on your television sets? - The Joker
No one stands on the top of the world. Not you, not me, not even Gods. But the unbearable vacancy of the throne in the sky is over. From now on...I will be sitting on it. - Sosuke Aizen
Smoking marijuana, eating Cheetos and masturbating do not constitute plans in my book. - Walter White
Look straight ahead. Look squarely at the people you're killing. And don't forget them. Never...forget them. Because they won't forget you.
- Solf J. Kimblee

ditko_loves_green77
Avenger
Avenger

Post by ditko_loves_green77 » Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:21 am

WOW :shock:
This is a fantastic idea! I can't believe no other site has tried this! (And trust me, I've looked)

Good luck and I'm looking forward to the first issue *thumbs up*

Kevin Cushing
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Post by Kevin Cushing » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:54 am

funnykay wrote:does everyone know about Spidey's identity due to Civil War or is it different? AND is harry Osborn still alive?
The way I'm going to do it (and you can find the details of why and how in the first issue) only those that knew his identity before the unmasking are going to know it. While certainly there are interesting stories that could have been told about an unmasked Spider-Man back when they did it, I think that ship has sailed and we've all moved past the desire to see them. It's just not the status quo that would be most conducive to getting back to a long, healthy run for a pre-BND Spider-Man. Also, having him unmasked would tie him into the Marvel Universe far too much of the time, and since I don't have access to those Marvel editorial plans to know where the big, universe-wide events are going, it's better for me to keep this book more insular. Because part of the idea of doing this as if it was being turned into an editor at Marvel is to not play fast and loose with the continuity (unless absolutely necessary).

As for Harry, you'll find out in issue one. Sorry to give the "wait and see" answer, but I don't want to blow everything from my first issue, and we're only 2 weeks or less away from it now.
ditko_loves_green77 wrote:WOW :shock:
This is a fantastic idea! I can't believe no other site has tried this! (And trust me, I've looked)

Good luck and I'm looking forward to the first issue *thumbs up*
Thanks ditko! And I really am pretty pleased to be the first one to do this (I was also surprised) and if somebody upstages me before my first one goes up, I'm calling foul! [smilie=greengoblin.gif]

insaneJonny
Avenger
Avenger

Post by insaneJonny » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:14 am

Give it a few years and i wouldn't be surprised if similar tales to this appear in amazing :wink: . Great idea though morb- perfect way to show that you know your continuity and are capable of producing quality work on a monthly schedule which i dare say is probably a motive of yours.i can only wonder how long before you work the living vampire into it.

An odd question though- you obviously have a lot of stories to tell but are you gonna hold back on what you consider the best ones in case you achieve your dreams of getting a spot on amazing? Because you couldn't use a great story if you've already told it here.

Also have you ever submitted anything to any publishers. Ever since kirkmans mission statement a friend and i have been working on a piece for image.
The Only Thing Worse Than Anti-BND Fanboys.....is Pro-BND Fanboys
Follow me on twitter for nerd related rants and drunken ramblings
SUPPORT X-factor
Herc
Fringe
Community
Breaking Bad

Kevin Cushing
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Post by Kevin Cushing » Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:30 pm

insaneJonny wrote:An odd question though- you obviously have a lot of stories to tell but are you gonna hold back on what you consider the best ones in case you achieve your dreams of getting a spot on amazing? Because you couldn't use a great story if you've already told it here.
You know, the first couple stories I'll be telling are ones that I've been holding on to for years for that very reason. I didn't want to let them go because I wanted to tell them in Amazing someday. But I finally came to two conclusions about that. 1) It's pretty arrogant of me to assume I'm going to be writing Amazing Spider-Man someday. Even assuming I break into comics, even assuming I break into Marvel, that may never happen. So there's no point in not telling these stories. They are, after all, for you guys. And now you guys get to read them. I will only be telling my best stories here, because I owe you guys nothing less for your commitment of time. 2) You'll see exactly what I mean when you finish the first full arc (and the second arc in a big way as well), but some of the major things I'm going to be doing are things that it's almost certain no editor will ever allow to be done. I'm not bringing back Uncle Ben or anything stupid like that, but let's just say my first couple arcs would be more than a little controversial. And, besides those two realizations, I've come up with so many new stories since I decided to do this not all that long ago that I've proven to myself I'll always have new stories to tell. If I ever get that job on Amazing, I have no doubt there will be all new material just pouring out of my head like it is now.
Also have you ever submitted anything to any publishers. Ever since kirkmans mission statement a friend and i have been working on a piece for image.
Absolutely yes I have, and I am continuing to. It's hard to break in, though. The hardest part for me is finding artists to collaborate with on pitches. I've got pages and pages of notes on many different original stories that I want to use, it's just a matter of finding someone to get a pitch together with. I've submitted ones without art before to Dark Horse (the only publisher that takes them without art) and just gotten no response. So things are going a bit slower these days, but I do have a few things in the works with some people and I'm actively looking for an artist to work on a submission to Shadowline based on an idea I had for their Create a Superheroine contest. It's just a slow process, and this is a good way to flex my creative muscles and keep in practice on a monthly schedule in the mean time.

Thanks for the interest and support Jonny!

Funnykay
Avenger
Avenger

Post by Funnykay » Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:41 pm

Kevin Cushing wrote: As for Harry, you'll find out in issue one. Sorry to give the "wait and see" answer, but I don't want to blow everything from my first issue, and we're only 2 weeks or less away from it now.
Thanks the vampire formally known as Morbius (If I get on the podcast, I'm going to call you that. That OK?)
So, who's the real sicko, America? Me, for carrying out this little prank? The producers and executives at the network, who let it all happen-- or is it you people, who mindlessly watched it all on your television sets? - The Joker
No one stands on the top of the world. Not you, not me, not even Gods. But the unbearable vacancy of the throne in the sky is over. From now on...I will be sitting on it. - Sosuke Aizen
Smoking marijuana, eating Cheetos and masturbating do not constitute plans in my book. - Walter White
Look straight ahead. Look squarely at the people you're killing. And don't forget them. Never...forget them. Because they won't forget you.
- Solf J. Kimblee

Kevin Cushing
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Post by Kevin Cushing » Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:42 pm

Haha, absolutely! I have a feeling it's going to take Brad awhile to get used to not calling me Morbius anyway :wink:

Funnykay
Avenger
Avenger

Post by Funnykay » Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:43 pm

Kevin Cushing wrote:Haha, absolutely! I have a feeling it's going to take Brad awhile to get used to not calling me Morbius anyway :wink:
As he would say, 'No Doubt'! :mrgreen:
- Solf J. Kimblee

CrazyChris
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Post by CrazyChris » Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:18 pm

This is a great idea morb--I mean, Kevin. I'm really excited to see what you come up with! Also, this is a very unique idea going with the comic script format!

Kevin Cushing
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Post by Kevin Cushing » Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:22 pm

CrazyChris wrote:This is a great idea morb--I mean, Kevin. I'm really excited to see what you come up with! Also, this is a very unique idea going with the comic script format!
Thanks Chris! (And, by the way, I'm totally fine with people still calling me Morb. Kinda used to it by now :wink: ) I've seen your opinions on the current direction of Amazing Spider-Man in your excellent monthly reviews (best on the internet, bar none) so I know you're part of that target audience that I want to get jazzed about Spider-Man again. Hope you dig it my friend!

Miles_Warren
Webslinger
Webslinger

Post by Miles_Warren » Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:46 pm

Haha yes this is a great idea Morb. Exactly what I and many fans have been waiting for (even if we didn't know it). [smilie=spidey_clap.gif] Ok granted I haven't even read BND (heck I haven't even read OMD cause I collect the British reprints. Astonishing Spider-Man anybody?......no?) but I have read reviews and it doesn't sound particurly interesting. In fact, based on these reviews, it reminds me of the Howard Mackie/John Byrne era a few years back that had me rocking in a foetal position for months until I paid thousands of euros for shock therapy. I'm fine now but I have an awful twitch these days.....

.....I do have a question though. How much are your subscription rates? :wink:

Anything that carpet bombs the idea of BND out of existence has me on board......look forward to your first issue. [smilie=spidey_not_kidding.gif]

Kevin Cushing
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Post by Kevin Cushing » Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:06 pm

Miles_Warren wrote:.....I do have a question though. How much are your subscription rates? :wink:
Oh yes, this is another thing I meant to advertise. I'm offering it for the low low price of $0.00! And that's a one time charge for a lifetime subscription! When you're paying Marvel $2.99 for 3 issues a month, plus lately one issue being $3.99 every month, plus a $3.99 special almost every month, I'll be endeavoring to give you as much story in one free issue as they do in their 3 or 4. I think it's a good deal, but everyone will have to decide for themselves :wink:
Anything that carpet bombs the idea of BND out of existence has me on board......look forward to your first issue. [smilie=spidey_not_kidding.gif]
Thanks Miles! And best of all, you get it at the same time for the same price over there that we get it over here...with no extra shipping charges!