Spider-Tracer: Spider-Man Classics – Series One

Welcome back, Spidey fans! For this month’s article, we have our very own Brad Douglas to thank for the subject this month (one that I thought was a great idea!), which is, of course, the first series of Spider-Man Classics!

For years, ToyBiz had been experimenting with the articulation on their Marvel figures. Going back to Mattel’s Secret Wars line from the 80’s (which I previously did an article on), those figures only had 5 points of articulation. Fast forward to ToyBiz’s early 90s Marvel Superheroes line (another series I did an article on for this very site), and we received the first super-articulated Spider-Man figure. With 16 points of articulation, this figure was unlike anything offered before in Marvel figures. Most figures, at least ToyBiz figures, typically got about 9 or so POA. And while they would add or change articulation with each figure, 2001 was going to change not just Marvel figures, but action figures in general, forever!

In 2001, ToyBiz produced the first series of Spider-Man Classics. Articulation was the major selling point, combined with intricate sculpts and paint detail, all of which was done in the 6” scale (ToyBiz had previously done figures in the 5” scale, but the scale had slowly been creeping up over the years until Spider-Man Classics officially went with 6”0). Each figure came in a clear, plastic clamshell packaging, complete with a base and comic book! Aimed at kids and collectors, these initial two series consisted of four figures each, and two Kay-Bee Toys Exclusives. With that said, let’s take a look at those first four figures and the two store exclusive figures…

Spider-Man

You can’t start out a new comic-inspired Spider-Man toyline without including a classic Spider-Man, can you? With an advertised 30 POA according to his packaging, this figure could attain poses only previously dreamed of by collectors. The web-lines were sculpted into the body while he got a dark overspray of paint to bring out the details of the sculpt, particularly that of his muscles. The issue he came with was “The Amazing Spider-Man” #301. While that issue features Todd McFarlane on art chores, I feel like this figure evokes more of a Mark Bagley design with his eyes, but your opinion on this may vary. The figure came with a circular base featuring Spider-Man’s face on a brick wall (which obviously tried to emulate the look of the light on his belt), complete with a camera webbed to it for taking pictures of Spidey fighting some criminal. Spidey’s feet could peg into the base, or his body could clamp onto it for swinging poses. While better Spider-Man figures would come alone, this figure set the bar extremely high!

Spider-Man (Black Costume)

One of the most popular Spider-Man costume variants is, without a doubt, the black suit, and ToyBiz was sure to include it as another Spider-Man figure in the first wave! It featured the same articulated joints as the classic Spider-Man, but with none of the sculpted web-lines. As such, this figure relied more on paint, including a nice, subtle blue overspray, which was obviously inspired by the comics. The figure came with a brick wall, complete with a drainage gutter and creeping symbiote. Like the other Spider-Man figure, this one could peg into the base or  be clamped onto it for swinging poses. The figure came with “The Amazing Spider-Man” #252, the first appearance of the black suit after Spidey returned from the 80’s event, “Secret Wars”. A lot of the figure’s influence can clearly be seen in this issue. This was a really, really well done Black Costume Spider-Man figure.

Man-Spider

This was a rather odd character choice for the first series, but he was a cool figure nonetheless! He had a nice, intricate sculpt, and a great job paint. Unfortunately, he wasn’t nearly as articulated as the Spider-Man figures, with about 16 POA (which is ironic, as you’ll recall that ToyBiz’s first articulated Spider-Man had about this many POA). Another odd thing to note was that he appeared to be in mid-transformation, with his limbs and face all in various phases of turning into the Man-Spider. He came with a cool base, which featured a forest, complete with rocks, plant life, and a removable stream. The base was so good, that ToyBiz reused it for Toad in their first series of Marvel Legends. The comic he comes with is “The Amazing Spider-Man” #437, featuring Synch from Generation X and the Plantman of all villains. Spidey was partially transformed in this issue, though the figure features design elements from the animated series and the earlier “Marvel Fanfare” issues, as well.

Venom

The first series of Spider-Man Classics needed a villain, and Venom fit the bill nicely. Unfortunately, much like Man-Spider, this bigger figure was less articulated, and in mid-transformation. Well, sort of. You see, it’s based on the comic it came with, which was “Venom: Lethal Protector” #6. In the issue, Venom goes through some fire to get the bad guy and that appears to be the reason for the symbiote’s odd appearance here (as you know, symbiotes are vulnerable to flames, hence why the suit looks like it’s pulling back and going crazy here). One cool aspect of this figure, is if you look under the duck bill of his symbiote, there’s a sculpted and painted Eddie Brock face under there, which is very awesome. Venom also sports a neat web accessory, which not even the Spider-Man figures in this wave got! He comes with a neat base, featuring a webbed-up Vault Guardsman amid some rubble. As far as Venom figures go, this was a weak offering in the long run (there’s only so much you can do with a partially suited up Venom). I appreciate the sculpt, paint, and time that went into him, but he is far too limited by said sculpt, and little articulation.

Scarlet Spider

The first Kay-Bee Toys exclusive offering from this toyline came in the form of Ben Reilly, the Scarlet Spider! The figure was basically a repaint of the Black Costume Spider-Man, complete with a repainted base from the regular Spider-Man figure. He was also given web-shooters and ankle pouches, but, sadly, no belt. He did, however, get his classic hoodie in the form of a soft goods item with the spider painted right on the chest, just as it is in the comics. He came with “Web of Spider-Man” #118, the first appearance of the character (the name and costume, at least). The figure was a nice addition to the line, and, upon seeing it in the store, I had to have him! For the time, he was incredible, and the only classic Scarlet Spider figure you could get for years.

Spider-Man 2099

Our final of the two Kay-Bee Toys exclusives is Miguel O’Hara himself, Spider-Man 2099! The figure, also a repaint of the Black Costume Spider-Man figure, simply got a new cape and a repaint of Black Costume Spider-Man’s base, sans symbiote. He also came with a copy of the first issue from his initial solo run. I recall taking his cape off, as it was rather annoying and got in the way when trying to play with him. If the figure comes off as rather unremarkable to me, that’s because he was. He didn’t receive accurate hands or forearms, whereas Ben at least got some accurate new pieces. He was okay, but certainly not remarkable in any way.

And there we have it, Spidey fans! The first wave of Spider-Man Classics (as well as the two exclusive figures). Did you guys pick these figures up back in the day? If so, what were your thoughts on them? Be sure to let me know in the comments section below, and we’ll be back next month with, I assume, a follow up article featuring Series II (you might say it makes… Spider-Sense… right? Okay, I’m done.)

Like it? Share it!
Previous Article

Spider-Variants of the Week 3/15/23

Next Article

Read’s Reads Amazing Spider-Man #21, Mary Jane Black Cat #4, Gold Goblin #5 Review

You might be interested in …

8 Comments

1. @Zach Joiner

Yeah, I only pre-ordered Rose and Tarantula, myself (even got an extra Tarantula to make his transformed, monstrous self). I might get Spider-Woman on sale for a custom, but that’s it. It was a very disappointing letdown of a wave for me.

2. I am not a fan of the new card, but I did pre order the Rose and Tarantula, since I collect 90s card retros. I did also get the Ben Reilly and (sigh) Chasm. I avoided the rest of the wave, simply because it wasn’t my cup of tea.

3. @Zack Joiner – I’ve done that kinda thing before too, paying higher prices to get a character I really want, but I usually don’t regret it. I’ve seen people miss out too much because they’re playing a waiting game in hopes of getting the figure discounted, only for the figure to be gone before they know it. That’s why if there’s a figure I really want, I just jump on it first so I don’t pay a crazy mark up later.

How do you feel about that upcoming Retro Spidey wave, the one with Rose and Tarantula?

@Franz29 – I miss KB-Toys so much. Lol! I spent a lot of time and money in there…

4. I have multiples of all of these, including a set still in the packaging. Had to get a friend to order the 2099 and Scarlet Spider from KB toys and ship them to me in the UK – he thought I was nuts.

5. So a funny story about the Scarlet Spider KB Toy. In 2011, I went to San Diego for Crawlspace. While there I found a figure dealer that would sell the figure. He wanted 120 bucks for it, and on Sunday (The day that you get deals because they don’t want to take items back, and will be willing to negotiate) was willing to go to 99 dollars for it.
    I found it online for 35.00 a couple of years later. While I was annoyed at paying double for a classic (heh) figure that was like 2 figures with a normal figure, I am a big enough Scarlet Fan to justify it.

I also managed to get Classic, Black Suit, 2099, and Battle Damaged for 40$. I had to sell them later on to get some cash (For about 85$) but I regretted it. It’s why I won’t sell my Retro Spidey carded figures.

Now it’s gotten worse…

6. @Evan Berry- Thanks, man! I somehow talked myself out of not buying two of each (which I’d been doing for years until this year, when Hasbro stopped doing windowless packaging, for the most part), so I regret that I have none of them in the box anymore. And I’m right with you in regards to Ben being a hero; I miss the Ben I knew.

@Zack Joiner- I wish I still had my Ben in the box. He’s highly sought after. Sorry to hear about your Ben’s hoodie, though. I’m hopeful Hasbro can make a new Scarlet Spider with some of the new pinless limbs. The Retro and Rhino wave Ben were both very cool for the time, but he could definitely use an upgrade. I’ve been tempted to make a custom, but I feel like he has to be on the radar. And I used to love going to Kay-Bee’s too; I became friends with the manager and he held all sorts of Marvel Legends chase figures for me until they closed up.

7. Hey Bill!
    I loved these back in the day. I still Have my McFarline Spidey and my Man-Spider. I sold my Black Suit, and Venom a few years ago. I have Both Scarlet Spider in Package in a loose version (his hoodie got ate by my roommates’ dog.)

I bought both the KB Toys guys back in the day too. I miss KB. I’d walk by the store it used to be and sigh. It was one place I knew I could get the toys I wanted and was easier to navigate than TRU.

Now I need to eventually get those figures again.

8. Great article! I’m pretty sure I remember seeing these figures, but, unfortunately, I never bought any of them — and, honestly, I feel like kicking myself for it now.

Apart from some unusual design choices, as you mentioned (Man-Spider mid-transformation and Venom’s stimulated symbiote), which lend themselves more to displaying than playing, that’s a wonderful lineup for the first wave of figures!

Now I’m feeling nostalgic for the days when Ben Reilly was an actual hero.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *