Spider-Man Beyond Preview

Marvel sent over a few teaser images in anticipation of a big reveal on Thursday. Here’s what they wrote. What are your thoughts?

SPIDER-MAN BEYOND!

Stay tuned tomorrow for information on this exciting new Amazing Spider-Man era from Kelly Thompson, Saladin Ahmed, Cody Ziglar, Patrick Gleason, and Zeb Wells!

Like it? Share it!
Previous Article

Spider-Previews September 2021

Next Article

Alford Notes: Amazing Spider-Man #69

You might be interested in …

15 Comments

1. @hornacek — I’ve wished this site allowed Facebook-style thumbs-up responses for a long time.

@Mark — Amazing Grace! I haven’t thought about that for almost as long. Yikes! I didn’t read J.J. Abrams’s Spider-man, but if Amazing Grace is better…Wow.

2. @Mark – If only these comments were like Facebook or Twitter and I could give your last comment a “thumbs up” or “laughing out loud smiley face”.

3. @Hornacek – Touche, pussycat! I mistook you for a lesser adversary and paid the price with this brutal reputation staining! I will be more wary in the future!

4. @Mark – Well, you said “the protege is Ben Parker – Peter’s son” so it sounds like you’re on record with wanting Abrams-Man to continue in an ongoing comic. Bold stand to take, but good for you for putting this opinion out there.

5. @Hornacek – Dude, I am saying nothing of the sort! I’d rather read Amazing Grace again than to finish the Abrams run.

@Prof. Warren – I always assumed that Norman would revert to status quo during the Kindred run. I never really thought out what it would look like if he continued. If he does become the benefactor, would we see JJJ and Norman competing to see who is the best friend to the Spiders, a la MJ and Not Ned in Far From Home? 🙂

6. Interesting take, Mark. It’s definitely possible – although I think this is such a big deal, roping in multiple creators, that it’s hard for me to imagine that this would turn out to be a side thing from ASM and not the main Spider title. If this is some alternate reality or future thing and ASM is still ongoing, I feel like ASM automatically deflates whatever this is. My own wild speculation regarding the “Beyond” name is that it implies advance tech as much as future stuff and that, maybe, a redeemed, sin-free Norman survives the end of Spencer’s run and has now dedicated himself into funding a whole Spider operation with Peter, Ben, and others and supplying them with the latest, most cutting edge tech. I had an idea that might be where Spencer was going to go with Norman after it was revealed that he was truly cleansed of his evil but with Spencer leaving, that might be the set-up that he’s handing over to the next team.

7. Going for a different take here on the morning before we get answers – this is NOT Amazing Spider-Man the comic title. This is a Batman Beyond / Spider-Girl style, but the protege is Ben Parker – Peter’s son. So this will take place in the future and it will show young Ben taking over for his father as Spider-Man wearing his uncle Ben’s costume. It is ASM in name only and ASM will continue on its own after Spencer leaves with whoever they decide to get to take over.

8. In a few hours we’ll have the actual details on this but in advance of that I’ll join the chorus in anticipating a return to a BND style brain trust. I’m all for it as I really enjoyed the pace of that format. My only concern is that, if this is where we’re going, the art needs to take a big freaking step up from where its been lately. The BND era was outstanding in the art department but recently there’s been a lot of adequate at best art in ASM that is depressingly functional and – to my mind – far below what should be the standard for ASM. So we’ll see how that goes. As for what Peter’s status will be, it does look like he might be either getting a happily ever after ending from Spencer or a not-so-happy ending where, either way, he’s off the board as Spidey for awhile. Maybe only long enough to wait until Spidey’s big 60th anniversary year in 2022 to come back. Or maybe Peter’s just fine and this next era involves him and other Spidey people and it’s only the Amazing moniker that takes a break before a 60th anniversary relaunch. Looking forward to hearing the full scoop later today!

9. The scenarios playing out in my mind are either Peter and MJ are engaged at the end of Spencer’s run and Peter is catastrophically injured and worse for wear at the end of a long struggle and needs to hand the baton over to Ben, another is that Peter restores his marriage but pays with his life and goes to hell with Kindred/Harry (so Marvel essentially undo OMD, but keep Peter and MJ apart), and Ben takes over for 25 issues, with Peter climbing out of hell to make a return in ASM 900.

10. I can only hope that this is a redemption for Ben Reilly. As much as I enjoyed him being “back”, his appearances have been lackluster, with the interactions with Kaine being the only positives. Hoping this is Scarlet Spider/Ben Reilly-centric.

11. I just can’t wait to hear the panel’s (mostly Zach’s & George’s) thoughts on the possibility of Ben taking over!!

And am I the only one who’s both incredibly disappointed and kind of blown away that Spencer’s run is ending? It feels too soon to me…

12. It looks like it’ll be centered around Ben. The Scarlet spider logo, the spiderman suit, the BL Nd hair.. can’t wait for more

13. Am I the only one that hears “Spider! Man! Beyond!” to the tune of Madness’ One Step Beyond song here?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *