Tom Brevoort on Norman knowing Spidey's identity

Discuss your thoughts on the articles written by J.R. Fettinger from the www.spideykicksbutt.com website.

Moderators: PartyHardy, BD, MadGoblin

Tom Brevoort on Norman knowing Spidey's identity

Postby gregxb » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:38 am

I have to say that I feel Norman no longer knowing who Spidey is hasn't done the character any favors. It's taken away an important part of their classic dynamic, and I miss that. Is there any chance that Norman will find out again?

I don't think so, no. Once Norman knows, there's really only one place that the story can go. Those years when Norman knew and just ran around being an industrialist and secretly the Goblin, and Spidey knew he knew, yet went about his business and fretted didn't make a whit of sense to me, sorry.

http://www.formspring.me/TomBrevoort/q/ ... 9556388494

Thoughts, J.R.?

Personally, I think he's full of... er... I think he's wrong.
gregxb
Avenger
Avenger

Re: Tom Brevoort on Norman knowing Spidey's identity

Postby NickMB » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:10 am

I think Norman not knowing who Spidey is works okay for their current direction with him, as more of a general MU/Avengers villain. And they had kinda done the Norman-as-industrialist-mastermind-who-knows-the-secret angle to death since he came back, so I see no problem with giving it a rest for a bit. If and when Norman stops trying to conquer the planet and goes back to being a full-time Spider-Man villain, it seems likely we might see him find out again eventually.
Read Hobson & Choi - my comedy-mystery webserial - right now.
More available on my blog and Twitter. Form an orderly queue.
NickMB
Avenger
Avenger

Postby MadGoblin » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:23 am

gregxb wrote:
I have to say that I feel Norman no longer knowing who Spidey is hasn't done the character any favors. It's taken away an important part of their classic dynamic, and I miss that. Is there any chance that Norman will find out again?

I don't think so, no. Once Norman knows, there's really only one place that the story can go. Those years when Norman knew and just ran around being an industrialist and secretly the Goblin, and Spidey knew he knew, yet went about his business and fretted didn't make a whit of sense to me, sorry.

http://www.formspring.me/TomBrevoort/q/ ... 9556388494

Thoughts, J.R.?

:roll:

I'd be curious to where he thinks that "one place" is, and where he draws the line at something in superhero comics "not making a whit of sense." That would pretty well cover just about EVERYTHING. Did he have a problem with the Kingpin (and who knows how many others) knowing who Daredevil was all that time?

I doubt it's his call anyway right now. I suspect that road runs through Bendis.

And it could be a diversion to avoid speculation and let the moment be a surprise if/when it does happen. After all, he really couldn't have very well said "wait and see," or any derivations thereof.

Although I tend to agree with Nick that when Norman goes back to Spider-Man villain from Marvel Universe villain it will be more practical.
MadGoblin
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Donomark » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:44 pm

One thing I really dislike with Breevort is that his opinions are always presented as the end-all/be-all stance on everything ever. It's an opinion ot think Norman lnowing Spidey's identity is a one-way street, because hey, it's a fantasy genre. It's limiting yourself and the characters to think that nothing else can come of it.
Donomark
Avenger
Avenger

Postby FSUSpiderFan » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:55 pm

Donomark wrote:One thing I really dislike with Breevort is that his opinions are always presented as the end-all/be-all stance on everything ever. It's an opinion ot think Norman lnowing Spidey's identity is a one-way street, because hey, it's a fantasy genre. It's limiting yourself and the characters to think that nothing else can come of it.

Say what you will but Breevort is the one who pinned the manifesto that saved Spidey :wink: :roll:
FSUSpiderFan
Captain Universe
Captain Universe