Update Q for JR- Year in 2007 Review?

Discuss your thoughts on the articles written by J.R. Fettinger from the www.spideykicksbutt.com website.

Moderators: PartyHardy, BD, MadGoblin

Update Q for JR- Year in 2007 Review?

Postby mysteriosity » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:31 am

Hi JR, I know this question has been asked before, and you said you (understandably) have been busy with various health/financial/child-rearing issues. (And something about your harddrive breaking?) I just wanted to check in though and see if you had a timeframe in mind of when we might see the conclusion of your 2007 Year in Review, the eagerly awaited conclusion parts? I'm dying to know what you thought about Thunderbolts, the end of Friendly Neighborhood and Sensational, etc. I noticed it has been about a year since the last update, so just figured there's no harm in asking as I don't want to eventually forget to check back in now and then. Or by contrast- I think you mentioned you were considering shutting the site down, that's your choice of course, but I would just strongly encourage you to finish the 2007 Review at least before you do that. (Not that anyone wants your articles to stop but you said it's crossed your mind.) ie, don't feel pressured to stockpile 2008, 2009 + articles if it's too daunting, because as I know from personal experience then there's the impulse to just throw the baby out with the bathwater so to speak. It was really an end of an era after One More Day anyway and personally I'd just be happy hearing the finish to your thoughts on the last year I read Spidey, in '07.

And in case it doesn't get a chance to come up on the site, I don't know if you've commented on it before but what are your thoughts of BRAND new day and the reboot that moved forward in general? Personally, I never had a problem with Petey and MJ being un-married but what Marvel never got was that the way they changed the continuity made it so disgusting for me as a reader that I couldn't continue on with the comic after that, it was like Peter was a completely different character who replaced the one I knew. If they didn't introduce magic mind-wipes and found some harmless way to unmarry them (annulment? I don't know), even though it's not my preference I have no doubt I would still be reading; it was changing Peter's essential character and the particular level of "realism" that existed in the Spider-comics that totally demolished it, for me. Anyway sorry for the long post, would love to hear your thoughts.
mysteriosity
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Re: Update Q for JR- Year in 2007 Review?

Postby MadGoblin » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:40 pm

mysteriosity wrote:Hi JR, I know this question has been asked before, and you said you (understandably) have been busy with various health/financial/child-rearing issues. (And something about your harddrive breaking?) I just wanted to check in though and see if you had a timeframe in mind of when we might see the conclusion of your 2007 Year in Review, the eagerly awaited conclusion parts? I'm dying to know what you thought about Thunderbolts, the end of Friendly Neighborhood and Sensational, etc. I noticed it has been about a year since the last update, so just figured there's no harm in asking as I don't want to eventually forget to check back in now and then. Or by contrast- I think you mentioned you were considering shutting the site down, that's your choice of course, but I would just strongly encourage you to finish the 2007 Review at least before you do that. (Not that anyone wants your articles to stop but you said it's crossed your mind.) ie, don't feel pressured to stockpile 2008, 2009 + articles if it's too daunting, because as I know from personal experience then there's the impulse to just throw the baby out with the bathwater so to speak. It was really an end of an era after One More Day anyway and personally I'd just be happy hearing the finish to your thoughts on the last year I read Spidey, in '07.

And in case it doesn't get a chance to come up on the site, I don't know if you've commented on it before but what are your thoughts of BRAND new day and the reboot that moved forward in general? Personally, I never had a problem with Petey and MJ being un-married but what Marvel never got was that the way they changed the continuity made it so disgusting for me as a reader that I couldn't continue on with the comic after that, it was like Peter was a completely different character who replaced the one I knew. If they didn't introduce magic mind-wipes and found some harmless way to unmarry them (annulment? I don't know), even though it's not my preference I have no doubt I would still be reading; it was changing Peter's essential character and the particular level of "realism" that existed in the Spider-comics that totally demolished it, for me. Anyway sorry for the long post, would love to hear your thoughts.

You're right. No harm in asking. Here's a status update:

No time horizon on finishing any articles. 2007 actually is largely done but unedited. But I am setting no dates because I may not be able to keep them.

No plans to close the site down, since it's pretty cheap right now. However, in a strange sort of way, the Crawlspace Podcast has taken some of the "bloom off the rose" so to speak because that has provided a forum for my opinions on the recent titles.

The Thunderbolts immediately post-Civil War would be covered in a Dark Reign series.

Before any Year in Review post 2007, there would likely be an overall analysis of the 101 issue "Brand New Day" era

I alwas considered the undoing of the marriage to be a myopic, short-sighted, almost selfish decision, but to be fair, I'm not so sure my preference for the marriage isn't rooted in its own myopia, short-sightedness and selfishness. However, to undo it by making the Spider-Man/Peter Parker character a whiny, unheroic, monumentally stupid figure and to have him and Mary Jane say and do things that normal people simply don't do (who doesn't talk about having kids PRIOR to agreeing to be married? Particularly if you have "radioactive blood"), and in a way that actually undermines the entire drama...well, that's been discussed elsewhere.
MadGoblin
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Update Q for JR- Year in 2007 Review?

Postby mysteriosity » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:31 am

Thanks for the answer- I guess my question got muddled since I started going off on a tangent about my own thoughts about the dissolution of the marriage. My question was actually, what did you think in general of the Brand New Day status quo/era from 2008 forward? Since you read all 101 issues and so on clearly you were able to stomach the changes more so than I, but did you find the comics or character of Peter were different in any way, or did you pretty much just find it to be business as usual (sans marriage of course)? I found Peter to be so different from the guy I knew that I ultimately decided THAT was the reason I couldn't read them anymore, not just because of the sole reason that he was no longer had a wedding ring on. Anyway, thanks.
mysteriosity
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer