So what are the MadGoblins favorite Goblin Stories?

Discuss your thoughts on the articles written by J.R. Fettinger from the www.spideykicksbutt.com website.

Moderators: PartyHardy, BD, MadGoblin

So what are the MadGoblins favorite Goblin Stories?

Postby Proto Goblin » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:34 pm

Knowing how Norman Osborn/Green Goblin is your favorite villain(I am correct in that assessment right?) Im womdering what you would consider the best story's with Norman are? Basically pretend you were asked to do a greatest Norman Osborn stories ever told book with no set page count for it what are the story's/arcs you would put in it. Then as a follow up questing what are your favorite Goblin stories that feature a Goblin who isn't Norman?
Proto Goblin
Webslinger
Webslinger

Re: So what are the MadGoblins favorite Goblin Stories?

Postby MadGoblin » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:30 am

Proto Goblin wrote:Knowing how Norman Osborn/Green Goblin is your favorite villain(I am correct in that assessment right?)

What gave it away? I guess I'm not as subtle and clever as I used to be.

Proto Goblin wrote:Im womdering what you would consider the best story's with Norman are? Basically pretend you were asked to do a greatest Norman Osborn stories ever told book with no set page count for it what are the story's/arcs you would put in it.

Off the top of my head - my favorite Norman Stories are (in no particular order):

Peter Parker #75 (Revelations Part 4 - Norman's return at the end of the Clone Saga)
Spectacular Spider-Man #250 (Citizen Osborn - Norman returns in his civilian identity and buys half of the Bugle)
Spectacular Spider-Man #261-263 (Goblins at the Gate - I think those are the issues - has some problems and is something of a letdown - but it's Osborn meets Kingsley and still has a lot of good moments)
Peter Parker #44-47 (Death in the Family - I think those are the issues - Norman tries to commit Suicide by Spider-Man - If I were rich I'd pay Mike Deodato to redraw the thing)
Thunderbolts #116-121 (Caged Angels - psychic supervillains drive the Thunderbolts mad - and Norman goes on one of his greatest rants)
Amazing Spider-Man #595-599 (American Son - Norman tries to turn Harry into a superhero - the story has a lot of problems which preclude it from being a great story - but Norman shooting Spidey in the face, and then his rambling about how he's going to kill all his loved ones and let them know that they are dying because it's Spidey's fault is Norman Gold)
There's got to be a Dark Avengers arc in there somewhere, but I'd have to re-read the series. The putting the team together at the beginning is fun, but the scene in the next to last issue when Bullseye murders the Sentry's wife on Norman's orders is terrific.

And if you're putting a book together, you have to have:

Amazing Spider-Man #38-39 - (Norman and Peter learn each other's secret identities)
Amazing Spider-Man #96-98 - (The infamous Drug Issues)
Amazing Spider-Man #121-122 - ( No explanation needed)

Proto Goblin wrote:Then as a follow up questing what are your favorite Goblin stories that feature a Goblin who isn't Norman?

Probably Roger Stern's first HobGoblin story arc interspersed between Amazing Spider-Man #238-251. Watching Kingsley (although we don't yet know it's him) put his plans in motion is great stuff.
MadGoblin
Administrator
Administrator

Postby raddude » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:28 am

No love JR for death of Harry in Spec Spidey? Both the hologram cover issue and 200 strike me as some fantastic stories with great tension in the action scenes, creepy moments like little Norman banging on the spidey doll while Liz is traumatized at dinner, and the heart-wrenching death of Harry in the conclusion. Really for me one of the most powerful arcs ever written.
raddude
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Postby MadGoblin » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:32 am

raddude wrote:No love JR for death of Harry in Spec Spidey? Both the hologram cover issue and 200 strike me as some fantastic stories with great tension in the action scenes, creepy moments like little Norman banging on the spidey doll while Liz is traumatized at dinner, and the heart-wrenching death of Harry in the conclusion. Really for me one of the most powerful arcs ever written.

The question was about my favorite Goblin stories sans Norman. It's not that I have no love for the Death of Harry, it's not a favorite. As much as I do think DeMatteis is a very good writer, he gets a bit heavy handed and overwrought at times ("Child Within" is one of the most aggregious examples), and some of the conflict between Peter and Harry almost seems to border on slash "hurt/comfort" fiction. But that may just be me.

Besides, the first HobGoblin arc was just plain fun, with a classic "who is the ____?" mystery, and it occurred at a time in my life when Peter and I were relatively the same age in the very similar circumstances in life, so there's a deep nostalgia factor.
MadGoblin
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Proto Goblin » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:38 pm

MadGoblin wrote:
Proto Goblin wrote:Knowing how Norman Osborn/Green Goblin is your favorite villain(I am correct in that assessment right?)

What gave it away? I guess I'm not as subtle and clever as I used to be.

Proto Goblin wrote:Im womdering what you would consider the best story's with Norman are? Basically pretend you were asked to do a greatest Norman Osborn stories ever told book with no set page count for it what are the story's/arcs you would put in it.

Off the top of my head - my favorite Norman Stories are (in no particular order):

Peter Parker #75 (Revelations Part 4 - Norman's return at the end of the Clone Saga)
Spectacular Spider-Man #250 (Citizen Osborn - Norman returns in his civilian identity and buys half of the Bugle)
Spectacular Spider-Man #261-263 (Goblins at the Gate - I think those are the issues - has some problems and is something of a letdown - but it's Osborn meets Kingsley and still has a lot of good moments)
Peter Parker #44-47 (Death in the Family - I think those are the issues - Norman tries to commit Suicide by Spider-Man - If I were rich I'd pay Mike Deodato to redraw the thing)
Thunderbolts #116-121 (Caged Angels - psychic supervillains drive the Thunderbolts mad - and Norman goes on one of his greatest rants)
Amazing Spider-Man #595-599 (American Son - Norman tries to turn Harry into a superhero - the story has a lot of problems which preclude it from being a great story - but Norman shooting Spidey in the face, and then his rambling about how he's going to kill all his loved ones and let them know that they are dying because it's Spidey's fault is Norman Gold)
There's got to be a Dark Avengers arc in there somewhere, but I'd have to re-read the series. The putting the team together at the beginning is fun, but the scene in the next to last issue when Bullseye murders the Sentry's wife on Norman's orders is terrific.

And if you're putting a book together, you have to have:

Amazing Spider-Man #38-39 - (Norman and Peter learn each other's secret identities)
Amazing Spider-Man #96-98 - (The infamous Drug Issues)
Amazing Spider-Man #121-122 - ( No explanation needed)

Proto Goblin wrote:Then as a follow up questing what are your favorite Goblin stories that feature a Goblin who isn't Norman?

Probably Roger Stern's first HobGoblin story arc interspersed between Amazing Spider-Man #238-251. Watching Kingsley (although we don't yet know it's him) put his plans in motion is great stuff.

I think American Son, thunderbolts and dark avengers are the only stories on your Norman list that I don't have either as reprints or in their original issues. Are thunderbolts and dark avengers in tbp yet? Anyway I remember Id agree with all of those other ones which I have read. I particularily like the way Pete beats Norms in a death in the family since its probably Normans greatest loss when you think about it. Pete essentially telling him it doesn't matter what Osborn does to him he'll never kill him, because to be like him would be worse than anything else(or something like that). The way Norman looks in the last panels of that story, sitting at his desk staring at a gun in his drawer is all you needed to see to know how badly this failure got to him.
Proto Goblin
Webslinger
Webslinger

Postby CrazyChris » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:01 pm

Warren Ellis's Thunderbolts run is in TPBs, and most if not all of Bendis's Dark Avengers should be by now, too.
CrazyChris
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Postby Willi » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:15 pm

Do you have a favorite of the Green Goblin's five Steve Ditko-era appearances? Light-hearted and innocent as they are, they're all among my favorite Green Goblin stories! [smilie=greengoblin.gif] Simple fun is all I ask of comic books. I love the artwork, as my current avatar (As of Thursday, October 21, 2010) from the Goblin's debut attests!

It was a thrill for me to go out hunting for the original copies of the Green Goblin's first three appearances! I only own the two Crime-Master stories in reprinted format, though.
Willi
Webslinger
Webslinger

Postby Willi » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:19 pm

raddude wrote:No love JR for death of Harry in Spec Spidey? Both the hologram cover issue and 200 strike me as some fantastic stories with great tension in the action scenes, creepy moments like little Norman banging on the spidey doll while Liz is traumatized at dinner, and the heart-wrenching death of Harry in the conclusion. Really for me one of the most powerful arcs ever written.

I was about eleven years old when I first read "the Spectacular Spider-Man" #200. To this day, (Although it's been years since I've read it) it remains one of my favorite comic books. The ending touched me so; I cried.
Willi
Webslinger
Webslinger

Postby Willi » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:23 pm

MadGoblin wrote:

The 1980s were packed with so much fun for Spider-Man! It's always a beauty to behold my 1980s Spidey back-issues. Great writers and artists graced the books in those days. (Ron Frenz especially comes to mind) After all these years, I'm still trying to collect all the pieces of the "Gangwar" storyline that featured the Hobgoblin.
Willi
Webslinger
Webslinger

Postby Thanos6 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:40 pm

The 80's were just generally awesome for Marvel as a whole.
Thanos6
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Postby Norch » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:06 pm

I liked the Hobgoblin origin story, where you learn he is actually Kingsley.
90s Goblin stuff with Bagley was good.
I even liked the Green Goblin maxiseries, when Phil Urich was a good guy.
[smilie=greengoblin.gif]
"Do your job!"
Norch
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer