Favorite Obscure Spidey story ?

Discuss your thoughts on the articles written by J.R. Fettinger from the www.spideykicksbutt.com website.

Moderators: PartyHardy, BD, MadGoblin

Re: Favorite Obscure Spidey story ?

Postby Venom65437 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:03 am

The Spider-Man Unlimited issue I was talking about forever ago. I guess I should have spelled it out.
Venom65437
Avenger
Avenger

Postby Cheesedique » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:36 pm

The Slasher story in Web Of by James Owsley.

Web of 11-13, where Peter gets targeted by a local gang after taking a stand in his neighborhood. Story by Mantlo and PAD.

Spectacular 113, where Aunt May's boarders are held hostage. Also by PAD.

Spec 120 "A House is Not A Home" by Mantlo, where Spidey takes on another gang trying to force tenants out of their apartment building. I guess the gang / urban decay themes of that era in Spidey fascinate me.

Finally, the Gerry Conway-penned issue of Web where the Chameleon is holding JJJ captive in his own penthouse. Great look into JJJ's past.
Cheesedique
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey

Postby Big Al » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:08 am

Cheesedique wrote:The Slasher story in Web Of by James Owsley.

Web of 11-13, where Peter gets targeted by a local gang after taking a stand in his neighborhood. Story by Mantlo and PAD.

Spec 120 "A House is Not A Home" by Mantlo, where Spidey takes on another gang trying to force tenants out of their apartment building. I guess the gang / urban decay themes of that era in Spidey fascinate me.

Finally, the Gerry Conway-penned issue of Web where the Chameleon is holding JJJ captive in his own penthouse. Great look into JJJ's past.

Is it sad that of those stories I really liked the Web #11-13 because of the Pete/MJ shipping? :oops:
Delta House Member Gimli

https://40.media.tumblr.com/2e65cb18213b8d4bf704dca08169e49c/tumblr_nz9jrqvyRA1she6m6o1_400.jpg

"The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the water spout. Down came the Goblin and took the spider out. "

Joey Z was F.A.C.A.D.E.

THIS: http://hellzyeahthewebwieldingavenger.tumblr.com/post/77268781356/the-debate-norman-osborn-vs-otto-octavius-who-is-the

My secret identity is: Ubertestosterone90sArnieAvenger....-Man
Big Al
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Postby Cheesedique » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:13 am

Big Al wrote:

Is it sad that of those stories I really liked the Web #11-13 because of the Pete/MJ shipping? :oops:

Well, that was a good time for their budding relationship, and if I remember she ended up paying for the repairs to his apartment in that story out of her own pocket.
Cheesedique
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey

Postby Big Al » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:37 am

Cheesedique wrote:
Big Al wrote:

Well, that was a good time for their budding relationship, and if I remember she ended up paying for the repairs to his apartment in that story out of her own pocket.

I don't think it was in that story but that happened later on. In that sotry she just offered Peter the chance to stay with her and went to his place to take him on a night on the town to make him feel better. Then later when she heard he might be evicted she paid for repairs to his apartment out of her own pocket.

Because they were 'just friends' and the marriage was totally out of the blue obviously.

[smilie=spidey_caught.gif]
Delta House Member Gimli

https://40.media.tumblr.com/2e65cb18213b8d4bf704dca08169e49c/tumblr_nz9jrqvyRA1she6m6o1_400.jpg

"The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the water spout. Down came the Goblin and took the spider out. "

Joey Z was F.A.C.A.D.E.

THIS: http://hellzyeahthewebwieldingavenger.tumblr.com/post/77268781356/the-debate-norman-osborn-vs-otto-octavius-who-is-the

Big Al
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Postby Cheesedique » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:19 am

Big Al wrote:I don't think it was in that story but that happened later on. In that sotry she just offered Peter the chance to stay with her and went to his place to take him on a night on the town to make him feel better. Then later when she heard he might be evicted she paid for repairs to his apartment out of her own pocket.

Because they were 'just friends' and the marriage was totally out of the blue obviously.[smilie=spidey_caught.gif]

Yeah. But of course there had already been one marriage proposal that she had declined. They'd been setting up Peter and MJ ever since Conway's ASM run, and while the marriage came as abrupt, it wasn't outside the realm of possibility.

She also paid for the locksmith to come and repair the apartment door Peter tore off its hinges after finding out Black Cat was double-crossing him in a following story, lol. Something tells me Peter doesn't get his security deposit back much.
Cheesedique
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey

Postby Big Al » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:10 pm

Cheesedique wrote:
Big Al wrote:I don't think it was in that story but that happened later on. In that sotry she just offered Peter the chance to stay with her and went to his place to take him on a night on the town to make him feel better. Then later when she heard he might be evicted she paid for repairs to his apartment out of her own pocket.

Because they were 'just friends' and the marriage was totally out of the blue obviously.[smilie=spidey_caught.gif]

Yeah. But of course there had already been one marriage proposal that she had declined. They'd been setting up Peter and MJ ever since Conway's ASM run, and while the marriage came as abrupt, it wasn't outside the realm of possibility.

She also paid for the locksmith to come and repair the apartment door Peter tore off its hinges after finding out Black Cat was double-crossing him in a following story, lol. Something tells me Peter doesn't get his security deposit back much.

But OMG, don’t you SEE, because she rejected it before it HAD to be out of character for her to accept it the next time (eventhoughshedidn’t). It’s not like she could, you know...change or something?

Everyone bitches about it being abrupt and the truth was the WEDDING was quick off the cuff from the acceptance. But that was all. The proposal and acceptance was an entirely organic and logical progression of everything since ASM #259 at the absolute latest. Hell I’d say it was long overdue that they resolved the will they/won’t they stuff and if you think proposing marriage rather than just dating was the problem wasn’t his asking her to marry him a terrific plot twist and cliffhanger????

Honestly I think it boils down to people reading ASM #289 where he’s with Felicia then reading ASM #290 where he proposes to MJ and calling bullshit. Except hello, there were two other Spider-Man titles you were expected to read as well, Spec #128-129 happened in between and was kinda important. It’s like these people think if it isn’t in ASM it doesn’t matter or something.
Delta House Member Gimli

Joey Z was F.A.C.A.D.E.

Big Al
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Postby Cheesedique » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:47 pm

Big Al wrote:
Cheesedique wrote:

But OMG, don’t you SEE, because she rejected it before it HAD to be out of character for her to accept it the next time (eventhoughshedidn’t). It’s not like she could, you know...change or something?

Everyone bitches about it being abrupt and the truth was the WEDDING was quick off the cuff from the acceptance. But that was all. The proposal and acceptance was an entirely organic and logical progression of everything since ASM #259 at the absolute latest. Hell I’d say it was long overdue that they resolved the will they/won’t they stuff and if you think proposing marriage rather than just dating was the problem wasn’t his asking her to marry him a terrific plot twist and cliffhanger????

Honestly I think it boils down to people reading ASM #289 where he’s with Felicia then reading ASM #290 where he proposes to MJ and calling bullshit. Except hello, there were two other Spider-Man titles you were expected to read as well, Spec #128-129 happened in between and was kinda important. It’s like these people think if it isn’t in ASM it doesn’t matter or something.

You're right about the proposal / acceptance being organic and developed. I think people point to things like the wedding tying in with Stan's newspaper strip and the publicity-seeking live action stunt at Shea Stadium, as it seeming abrupt and inorganic.
Cheesedique
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey

Postby Big Al » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:48 pm

Cheesedique wrote:But OMG, don’t you SEE, because she rejected it before it HAD to be out of character for her to accept it the next time (eventhoughshedidn’t). It’s not like she could, you know...change or something?

You're right about the proposal / acceptance being organic and developed. I think people point to things like the wedding tying in with Stan's newspaper strip and the publicity-seeking live action stunt at Shea Stadium, as it seeming abrupt and inorganic.[/quote]

Appearences can be deciving. it was a stunt but a stunt doesn't necesarilly NOT make sense and doesn't have to be a cheap bad move. This wasn't. Superman's wedding tying into his TV show wasn't either but DC is happy to outright lie about history and claim it happened BECAUSE of the TV show despite the entire Death of Superman epic occuring because the TV show said Clark and Lois can't get married yet.
Delta House Member Gimli

Joey Z was F.A.C.A.D.E.

Big Al
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Postby Preaught » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:26 pm

sdiddy wrote:Spider-Man Marrow 1 Shot,

There is no reason for me to like this as much as I do. I don’t like the character of Marrow, dislike one-shots and complain about throw away issues ...
But I love this story. Pete on the heels of losing MJ is feeling and getting pressure to move on and attempts to have his first date. Spidey mixes it up the the mutant Marrow and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

me too just like the story or peter parker. plus his deep love for MJ. i don't care who's the enemy of spiderman as long as their love story are there everything for me is perfect. just like ordinary people, a superhero should have his or her love life too. such a cutie :)
Best phen375 guide available online.
Preaught
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Postby Andrew » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:06 am

Mine, in part from nostalgia but not only.

The Amazing Spider-Man #82 "And Then Came Electro!" One of the first great stories I read and probably still my overall favorite, great use of pretty-depressed Peter and the supporting characters.
The Amazing Spider-Man #253 "By Myself Betrayed!" Early symbiote fun, very interesting Rose, very good guest-character story and parallel with Peter.
Web of Spider-Man #30 "The Wages of Sin" Strong origins for and relationship between the Rose and Ned Leeds-as-Hobgoblin, sense of tragedy.
Andrew
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer