so here's a question for conversation

Discuss your thoughts on the articles written by J.R. Fettinger from the www.spideykicksbutt.com website.

Moderators: PartyHardy, BD, MadGoblin

raddude
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

so here's a question for conversation

Post by raddude » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:05 pm

Were the 2000s a good or bad decade for Spidey? From what I gather from JR's site people seemed to hate Spidey in 2000 but in there seemed to be a lot of good stories in the middle years but of course many are unhappy with One More Day. Thus as a whole do people vote thumbs up or thumbs down?

For me its an easy positive vote. I had quit comics all-together around 95 or so because of the Clone Saga, and with two exceptions didn't pick them up again until 2006 when USA Today told me Spidey was unmasking. And while Civil War ended up being crap, I thought whichever title it was that carried Feral and the excellent one-issue Felicia spotlight issue (I think it was Sensational) was quite good and that combined with finding JR's site motivated me to grab some trades from earlier in the decade for like $5 a piece and I have to say the first Morlun story was really exceptional (and I liked the follow-up trade quite a bit too). Then we had Hush which is all-time great level stuff. Plus while I One More Day is terrible storytelling, I tend to like Brand New Day quite a bit, especially from New Ways To Die onward.

CrazyChris
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Re: so here's a question for conversation

Post by CrazyChris » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:15 pm

I'd say the era between when JMS took over and OMD was pretty damn strong. JMS' run was fantastic, Millar's run was great, Jenkins run was mostly good, and the side titles during Civil War and Back in Black were excellent despite ASM faltering slightly. The 2000s had basically one of the most exciting, character-progressive eras, but it was sandwiched between two awful eras that were exactly the opposite. It's a hard call to make. If you focus on the good, its one of the best decades, but if you focus on the bad it is one of the worst.

Donomark
Avenger
Avenger

Post by Donomark » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:52 pm

Agreed, that era is my favorite Spidey-wise. I know older fans like Brad and JR consider it average at best (IIRC, dnt wanna put words in their mouths) but I loved the heck out of it. Coming Home, Death in the Family, Down Among the Dead Men, roughly 80% of it was awesome.

Peter Palmer
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey

Post by Peter Palmer » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:53 pm

Millar's run on Marvel Knights was awesome, one of my favorite Spidey stories ever. I wasn't a huge fan of JMS; he had his moments, but I thought his run was OK, and didn't really start to go downhill until "Sins Past". Still on a whole, I liked his run much more than the Reboot that preceded it, but not quite as much as the immediate post clone saga, pre-reboot stuff.
Delta member #100!
ImageImage

slave83b
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey

Post by slave83b » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:15 pm

Personally, I think it's a very uneven decade. The Reboot was just unbelievably awful and BND is inconsistent at best. Even the JMS run, which many seem to agree was a high point for the decade, breaks down into, if not "good and bad" then at least "good and better".

In fact, I would argue that the 2000s were perhaps Spidey's most uneven decade. Think about it. The 60s and 70s were generally pretty solid. The bleakest part of the 80s, if you ask me, was Denny O'Neil's run on Amazing, but that was more than balanced out by Roger Stern and Tom DeFalco, to say nothing of the other titles. The 90s were similarly hot and cold, with the best parts being Michelinie's Amazing, DeMatteis's Spectacular and the period between the Clone Saga and the Reboot. The Reboot itself, as abysmal as it was, came too late in the game to really impact Spider-Man in the 90's, so the real wild card is the Clone Saga. Thus given the good, the bad, and the horrifying foil-wrapped excesses of the decade, I tend to think that one's attitude toward the Clone Saga in general and Ben Reilly in particular will have a tremendous impact on how they view 90s Spidey.
Delta House Member - Nacho

"I have never been to a freak show or taken acid, but this is what I imagine doing both at once must be like." - CrazyChris

Spider-Dad
Avenger
Avenger

Post by Spider-Dad » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:02 am

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...

For me, this past decade has been a roller coaster. Where does it rate compared to other ASM decades? Well, when it was at its best, (see CC's list...I agree about JMS, Millar, the Pulse, etc.) it might have been the best in Spider-Man history, especially across all the titles. However, it was shortlived and when it reached the bottom, it certainly drags at the bottom of the ASM list.

I know this decade marked my return to comics after a 7 year hiatus and I geniunely found myself excited about comics again. Unfortunately, OMD has made me seriously wonder if Spider-Man can regain his rich history, something the Clone Saga tarnished, but OMD\BND\OMIT has revised it. BLEAH! However, when I left last time I dropped comics cold turkey and did not collect back issues, nothing. Although I am currently not picking up ASM, I fully intend to keep collecting and know I will back fill my collection. However, if they don't fix the continuity\marriage deal, I backfill up to #666...it would only be fitting to do so.
Spider-Dad
Delta House Member - "Snapper"