quick question for JR

Discuss your thoughts on the articles written by J.R. Fettinger from the www.spideykicksbutt.com website.

Moderators: PartyHardy, BD, MadGoblin

quick question for JR

Postby raddude » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:55 pm

So considering Marvel has decided that Goblin Formula can raise the dead (as seen in the cases of first Norman and now Harry) should they have left Leeds as the Hobgoblin instead of changing it to Kinglsey (especially since the change was made after Norman's ressurection) ? Because obviously if they had left things as they were they could have resurrected Leeds, who is another long-standing silver-age era supporting character. And if they are going to leave Hobgoblin retired anyway (since he is redundant in a world where Norman is in every other story Marvel publishes) we could have had a retired Ned Leeds goblin working for the Bugle instead of a retired Kingsley goblin hanging out off-camera on some island somewhere.

BTW - I discovered your site maybe a year ago. Took me a good 6-8 months to read all the articles, but your stuff is awesome. Now if you' d only start writing about some of the new stuff I'm sure we'd all cheer. Plus (while I imagine this is a minority opinion around here) I think a lot of the new stuff (figure from New Ways to Die onward) has been truly excellent so I'd love to see your take on some of it.
raddude
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Re: quick question for JR

Postby Arcane Azmadi » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:02 pm

"Should they have?" Hell no, of COURSE they shouldn't have! Leeds as the HobGoblin never WORKED except under the circumstances by which Kingsley eventually explained it. Marvel COULD have done it of course, although it would have required some pretty epic retconning, but it would have really sucked. HobGoblin Lives! was one of the best things Marvel did with Spider-Man in the 90s, transforming the HobGoblin from a once-epic villain who had been reduced to a joke to a complete Magnificent Bastard who had managed to pull the wool over everyone's eyes for YEARS. It was one of the best uses of retcon in comics history- filled plot holes, tied up all loose ends and was a damn good story to boot.

Oh yeah, and Harry was brought back from the dead by Mephisto, not the goblin formula.
I don't actually read Spider-Man at the moment. But with things being like they are, why should I?

"It just goes to show, never stick your dick in a pudding. It might still be good pudding and you can spend all afternoon explaining that, but no-one's going to eat it because you stuck your dick in it!"
-Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw, NOT actually talking about BND, but he might as well have been.

DEVIL-BRICK HAS COME FOR YOUR MARRIAGE!!!
Arcane Azmadi
Webslinger
Webslinger

Postby raddude » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:03 pm

while in the immediate timeline reset it seemed like Mephisto raised Harry from the dead, they later had an issue (I want to say about a year ago) where Harry (with Peter) goes to visit Liz & little Normie and Harry explains to Peter that Goblin Formula caused his resurrection just as it did his dad. Then there were some flashbacks of Norman and Mysterio doing the usual bribing of coroners, etc. to cover up Harry being not-quite dead; and back in the present Harry explains his dad had him institutionalized in Europe all these years and he doesn't remember much of it.

So thus the new official Marvel line is goblin formula brought back both Harry & Norman, and thus if they had not retconned Leeds away from the Hobgoblin identity they could have resurrected him as well.
raddude
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Postby MadGoblin » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:28 pm

O.K. - here is the way I understand it - the Goblin formula does not raise the dead - Harry and Norman never really died. And since Ned Leeds was never really the HobGoblin, he never took the formula, and thus he really is dead (well, theoretically - who knows anymore). Those answers, no matter how much retconning it took to get there, work for me. There's no point of resurrecting Ned as the HobGoblin because the creator of the HobGoblin, Roger Stern, said he wasn't the Goblin, that it was always Kingsley. So really, the greater retcon was making Leeds as the HobGoblin in the first place - Roger Stern merely reset the pieces to where they belonged in the first place.

Damn, even I'm confused now.

Oh, and raddude? July 19, 2010
MadGoblin
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Peter Palmer » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:56 pm

MadGoblin wrote:Oh, and raddude? July 19, 2010

As one of the manny peope who found this board through your site, this makes me very happy.
Delta member #100!
ImageImage
Peter Palmer
Black Suit Spidey
Black Suit Spidey

Postby Nickster79 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:01 pm

Peter Palmer wrote:
MadGoblin wrote:Oh, and raddude? July 19, 2010

As one of the manny peope who found this board through your site, this makes me very happy.

Same here. I still go through spideykicks butt to get here every time, partly because my browser has it saved first :D . But also because I hope for new articles, since the ones that are on there are so great.

Can't wait to read your new stuff!
Nickster79
Freelance Photographer
Freelance Photographer

Postby CrazyChris » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:39 pm

The day is almost upon us. Can this really be happening?
CrazyChris
Captain Universe
Captain Universe