Question for JR...another one.

Discuss your thoughts on the articles written by J.R. Fettinger from the www.spideykicksbutt.com website.

Moderators: PartyHardy, BD, MadGoblin

Donomark
Avenger
Avenger

Question for JR...another one.

Post by Donomark » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:18 pm

I know you've said in the past that you've never cared for Todd MacFarlene's artwork, but does that include the influence his work has had on the character in terms of making him appear more spiderey? Stuff like Erik Larsen, Mark Bagley, in terms of the acrobatics I mean. Does that turn you off as well?

MadGoblin
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Question for JR...another one.

Post by MadGoblin » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:26 am

Donomark wrote:I know you've said in the past that you've never cared for Todd MacFarlene's artwork, but does that include the influence his work has had on the character in terms of making him appear more spiderey? Stuff like Erik Larsen, Mark Bagley, in terms of the acrobatics I mean. Does that turn you off as well?
I guess I should clarify this a little - because I can't remember exactly all the goofy opinions I post, so there's no telling what I really said or what mental state I was in when I said it - but when I say I don't care for McFarlane's work, I'm not really saying that I dislike it per se (maybe other than most people looking ugly), but I just don't get the McFarlane worship. But I was also grousing about having to pay extra dollars for the issues with McFarlane art, as when my pocketbook gets effected I really get cranky. I guess some of the "worship" is because as he said himself on the original movie DVD - everyone else was mimicking Romita Sr., in one form or another - and McFarlane started actually doing some things different (like being the first one to give MJ a different hairstyle than the one she debuted with in Amazing #42). I actually do like Mark Bagley's stuff - Larsen I have no opinion one way or the other - except that his post reboot stuff was awful, to which he himself admitted by saying that the material was so boring he couldn't get too interested in it. And since I made those comments, after seeing some of the art that has graced the pages of Amazing Spider-Man over the last couple of years, I may have been a little too hard on Todd.

Donomark
Avenger
Avenger

Post by Donomark » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:55 pm

Well is style is rather extreme in any respect. It's universally agreed upon that his MJ stank.

I can respect that since McFarlene does come off as a tool in a lot of his interviews.

Big Al
Captain Universe
Captain Universe

Post by Big Al » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:29 am

Donomark wrote:Well is style is rather extreme in any respect. It's universally agreed upon that his MJ stank.

I can respect that since McFarlene does come off as a tool in a lot of his interviews.
I actually liked his MJ a lot
Delta House Member Gimli

https://40.media.tumblr.com/2e65cb18213b8d4bf704dca08169e49c/tumblr_nz9jrqvyRA1she6m6o1_400.jpg

"The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the water spout. Down came the Goblin and took the spider out. "

Joey Z was F.A.C.A.D.E.

THIS: http://hellzyeahthewebwieldingavenger.tumblr.com/post/77268781356/the-debate-norman-osborn-vs-otto-octavius-who-is-the

My secret identity is: Ubertestosterone90sArnieAvenger....-Man